homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Spawn of MW

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Spawn of MW
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that the Jewish Chronicle has a Secret Shul-goer.

[Smile]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. And one of my relatives gets a mention in the Secret Shul=Goer's Awards for 2017.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
edit: Secret Shul-Goer's Awards!?!? Off to find those...

What a wonderful discovery! Thank you.

#1 has me hooked, including a very amusing opening paragraph, and this:

quote:
Before my visit, I researched the shul’s website. This is always a revealing exercise, not least because it allows me to play a personal game of "Shul Website Bingo", in which I can tick off my checklist of buzzwords. Norrice Lea scores highly. On its homepage alone, the word "thriving" appears three times, and the words "caring", "warm" and "welcoming" twice each.
I suspect I'll spend all night reading these... Or all day. Shouldn't checked SoF before I started work. [Help]

[ 03. January 2018, 20:14: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked on the Finchley Reform report because the father of a friend of mine was one of its founders - and [Overused] to that congregation, just [Overused]
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.

[Overused] indeed.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That Finchley Reform report has set me up for the day.
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to read them in order, rationing them 1 a day, but after not entirely me's post I read Finchley.

My goodness. Would that we could all act like that. I think I need to read some penitential Psalms.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a beautiful thing to say. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone speaking about homeless visitors like that in church or anywhere else. If anything the reverse - that they're a problem to be endured for a period.

I wonder how it affects the way that the congregation interacts with them. Presumably it becomes a bit tricky if the visitors take the statement literally and "borrow" a few things from the sanctuary.

--------------------
arse

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect two thing:
  • that the few things that could be borrowed and caused offence are removed before this happens.
  • it is seen as a group home with a sponsoring (hiring) body (e.g. Crisis) who take overall responsibility for the behaviour of residents. Then it is sort of like a landlord respecting the privacy of tenants.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having volunteered with Crisis, on the clean up squad at this time of year, the Finchley Shul sounds as if it is one of the Christmas shelters and there will have been a squad in to clean up on Monday, along with the other schools and places they use.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that does come out of these reports is that Judaism has a rich and varied liturgical tradition which is probably largely unfamiliar to us Christians, despite our common origins!

Fascinating stuff, but I don't suppose the New Ship will allow MW reports from synagogues?

No? I thought not.....

Oy vey!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016