homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Churching of Women: Misogynistic? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Churching of Women: Misogynistic?
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Mark, you are much older than I had previously thought. Sanitary towels (attached with safety pins to a sanitary belt) were in use throughout all but the most isolated fenland villages sixty years ago.

Bear in mind I speak from what I've been told but also as a 9th generation (one time) farm labourer from the same village. In South Cambs the old ways were still around, I'm told, into the 60's and beyond.

FWIW I'm just 60!

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Mark, you are much older than I had previously thought. Sanitary towels (attached with safety pins to a sanitary belt) were in use throughout all but the most isolated fenland villages sixty years ago.

Bear in mind I speak from what I've been told but also as a 9th generation (one time) farm labourer from the same village. In South Cambs the old ways were still around, I'm told, into the 60's and beyond.

FWIW I'm just 60!

Mind you it was hardly talked about ...it's only in later life that I've hard a bit more
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

In my rural childhood, (the Cambridgeshire uplands), churchiung was routine.

It linked into the folk beliefs of people wedded to the grind of agricultural work and issues of cleanliness/purity in an era of primitive female hygiene. Much of it was very primitive indeed - rough calico straps passed under the legs to contain the blood. They were held on by a spencer belt - the origin of today's "suspender belts," a rather different form of under garment.

Local belief, for example, meant that girls who were "ill at ease" (ie menstruating) would not be allowed to churn milk to make butter. It was believed they'd spoil the milk.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sanitary towels in the 1950s and 60s came with loops to link to the sanitary belt, which had anchor like hooks front and back to connect the two together. (We were shown this as part of a girls only sex ed lesson: it was what was available at school as emergency supplies. By the 70s and 80s no-one had the requisite belts as things had moved on.) Hence the stories of boys trying to wear them over their heads anchoring the loops over their ears.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started secondary school in 1978 and had those horrible pants!

Claire Rayner and the ‘wings’ were later.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Museum of Menstruation somewhere, that has a collection of all these vintage protection methods.

Menstruating women were also alleged to be able to keep meats from curing properly and ruining the fermentation of wine and beer. I cannot think why if this was believed to be so that no one ever thought to weaponize this trick. The movie script almost writes itself, does it not? A squadron of very PMSsy women in combat gear, surly as they are despatched into enemy headquarters with maps to the kitchen and wine cellars, their packs stuffed with sanitary napkins...

[ 05. February 2018, 13:17: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Brenda Clough. One would have though the militant wing of the Anti-Saloon League would have thought of that one.

[ 05. February 2018, 18:15: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I don't know if it's still done anywhere.

IIRC the wife of a poster on here was churched within the last year or two. I won't name them but I only know because they posted to that effect the last time this came up on here.
Indeed. Mrs Thurible was churched after giving birth to the boatboy in 2016 and after the boatgirl in 2013. On each occasion, it was on the day she went to Mass for the first time.

I think the boatgirl was born on a Wednesday (or was it Thursday) so less than a week. Unfortunately, having given thanks for safe delivery of the event, Mrs Thurible had a massive DVT 11 days post-partum. So the boatgirl, who had gone home twelve hours after being born, then spent a week in hospital with her mother.

After the boatboy, she was again churched. He was born late on a Saturday and so she went to give thanks for safe delivery a week later. Given that she'd been on medication for DVT throughout this pregnancy and had nonetheless had a couple of minor DVTs, the thankgiving was most definitely heartfelt.

Thurible

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Thurible for your moving post - with prayers and best wishes to the 4 of you.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[welcome back, Thurible!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016