homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Who kept Candlemas a week late?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Who kept Candlemas a week late?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I was drawing up lists of readings before the 1917-8 lectionary was available, I got ito a mess – we kept our patronal festival (Paul) in the octave of Jan 25th so kept Candlemas today – a week later than we’re supposed to but on the nearest Sunday, nonetheless, to Feb.2.

By the time the lectionary came out, if was too late to rectify – preachers had bewewn booked etc.

I know of at least one other church in our deanery that made the same mistake.

Anybody else?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah! We kept it yesterday (Saturday) at our 930am Walsingham Cell Mass, which is held on the first Saturday each month.

Some nice hymns, Walsingham Rose incense, and a candlelit procession (fortunately, it was a rather gloomy morning!).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
As I was drawing up lists of readings before the 1917-8 lectionary was available…

A bit before my time!
[Biased]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of loads of churches that 'did' Candlemas today, for the simple reason that the first Sunday of the month is a popular slot for those that have a fairly trad "family" eucharist with SS in for the whole thing and Candlemas, and the presentation, are fantastic themes for a SS presentation.

Clashes of this kind aren't good, but with the increasing difficulty of getting clergy to take midweek celebrations, even for major feasts, never mind getting a congregation for such services, one is forced to compromise. I know of churches that don't have services on Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday or Ascension: while in one case it can be put down fair-and-square to clerical laziness (an incumbent who looked for someone else to cover Christmas Day because it was their day off, I kid you not), in others it is because there is no congregation.

Perhaps if those who drew up the lectionary had more exposure to 'real' parish life they wouldn't be so inflexible.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of our neighbours get round the problem of small attendances even on such major Holydays as Ash Wednesday etc. by holding joint services, which also makes things a little easier for clergy.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've tried that over the years in the place where I play and the surrounding parishes.

However, its ended up that WE are the place that has the services, OURS is the priest who takes them; those old-fashioned types in surrounding parishes who wish to mark, say, Ascension, on the day know they can come to us (and do) and the priests in the other parishes just do nothing.

Of course, on the plus side it means that our electoral role numbers continue to climb, despite being the smallest parish (by resident population) in the deanery because eventually people vote with their feet.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I was drawing up lists of readings before the 1917-8 lectionary was available . . . .

I’m showing supreme ignorance here, but can someone explain this to me? Does a new lectionary come out in the CofE every year? I’m used to being able to look in the book (or online) to check the readings way in advance—years in advance if need be—and to compare the book with a calendar for what will fall when. (Of course, I’m also used to Candlemas being ignored—I imagine only the spikiest of Anglo-Catholic places mark it over here.)

Obviously I’m missing something. Can someone tell me what it is I’m missing?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We celebrated Candlemas - or Feast of the Presentation, if you prefer - on Sunday - as is allowed in liturgical books and authorities! The lighting of candles in the harsh glare of an Australian summer might seem incongruous, but the symbolism overall was not lost on the flock.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
As I was drawing up lists of readings before the 1917-8 lectionary was available . . . .

I’m showing supreme ignorance here, but can someone explain this to me? Does a new lectionary come out in the CofE every year? I’m used to being able to look in the book (or online) to check the readings way in advance—years in advance if need be—and to compare the book with a calendar for what will fall when. (Of course, I’m also used to Candlemas being ignored—I imagine only the spikiest of Anglo-Catholic places mark it over here.)

Various publishers, including Church House Publishing print a lectionary volume each year which fixes the readings (Sunday and Daily) to the particular dates in the year.

That can be done from the tables and rules for years in advance, but sometimes there can be doubt about (e.g.) which Sunday to swap the Feast of the Presentation/Candlemas to. The current practice of the Church of England (for those who are liturgically more observant) is to give more emphasis to Candlemas as the last element of the Incarnation cycle, and to make it a liturgical hinge point for switching towards the Paschal cycle.

In response to leo's OP, it may be worth noting that the Church House Publishing printed lectionary includes an outline calendar for the following year, along with a note of transferences. So some time before Advent Sunday 2016 it would have been possible to see that the recommended transference for Candlemas 2018 was to 28th January (consistently with the rules in the Common Worship 'Main Volume' which say that if transferred it should be celebrated on a Sunday between 28 January and 3 February).

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The C of E has given Candlemas a starring role in the liturgical year which it never had before Common Worship and doesn't have, as far as I know, in the rest of Christendom (maybe some other Anglican churches do). That's not particularly a bad thing; it is seen as a 'hinge' between the Christmas season and Lent/Passiontide. But the way it works is a bit clunky: there are still (even with this year's early Easter) a couple of weeks Ordinary time between Candlemas and Ash Wednesday. And highlighting it means that in most parishes it will have to be on a Sunday. I don't know why the lectionary directed that it should have been on the 28th rather than on the nearest Sunday which was yesterday, and it's quite understandable that many parishes either failed to realise that or for various reasons preferred the 4th. Anecdotally there seems to have been a 50-50 split around here.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A former rector always applied the rule that you shouldn't presume upon a feast. He would never transfer to a preceding Sunday. The feast was celebrated on the day or the Sunday following.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks BroJames and Angloid!

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never attended any church that keeps Candlemas - maybe it isn't observed in Australia.I'm not even sure of its significance.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otherwise known as the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, or the Purification of the BVM... when the elderly Simeon and the prophet Anna recognised the infant Jesus as the promised Messiah.

We kept ours on the day, ie last Friday. The usual smallish number turned up (normal for an evening service of that type), but we still had 5 hymns (as I recall) and it was very nice [Smile]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a very nice Solemn Mass on the day 2nd February on Friday evening, at a church I know, but don't regularly attend.

Last Sunday 28th January, Candlemas was kept where I went to church in the morning.

Sunday 4th February yesterday, I went to a monthly Choral Evensong, at which the choral parts reflected Candlemas.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I’m also used to Candlemas being ignored—I imagine only the spikiest of Anglo-Catholic places mark it over here.)

I still have a very old, black and white tract produced by the Church Union called ‘Candles and Ashes’- Candlemass and ashing at the start of Lent were only done by extreme anglo-catholics in the 1960s.

Now, everyone seems to do them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I still have a very old, black and white tract produced by the Church Union called ‘Candles and Ashes’- Candlemass and ashing at the start of Lent were only done by extreme anglo-catholics in the 1960s.

That's interesting. As a small child, I can remember being told it was Candlemas, and that from then on we were supposed not to need lights indoors during the day time.

It's a special day in the 1662 Prayer Book, the equivalent of a saint's day, though it has different names there. That might well mean that until the early C19 it was a public holiday.

I've no more seen Candlemas spelt with a second 's', than Christmas spelt that way. That does look a bit like an Anglo-Catholic affectation.

As far as I know, Ash Wednesday has always been so called and marked, though I don't remember ashing being part of it until really quite recently. As a child, I can remember one of the local CofE primary schools all being taken to church on Ash Wednesday and Ascension Day, but as I went to a different school, I don't know what happened when they got there.

I can't remember whether they also went there for Candlemas.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full Sung Eucharist for Candlemas on 2nd Feb is standard for us.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I’m also used to Candlemas being ignored—I imagine only the spikiest of Anglo-Catholic places mark it over here.)

I think that is just another pointer that the catholic revival in the Church of England won all of the superficial battles, but did rather less well at the substance... (See also the widespread use of altar candles, stoles, wafers...)
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have never attended any church that keeps Candlemas - maybe it isn't observed in Australia.I'm not even sure of its significance.

St Sanity observed it on the following Sunday but as the Feast of the Presentation. Madame and I went to a Catholic church on the day itself (no Anglican one available nearby), and it too was a celebration of the Presentation - albeit one with a congregational procession into the church, each person carrying a lit candle.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely 'Candlemas' is simply a popular name for the festival held forty days after Christmas and commemorating both the ritual 'purification' of the Blessed Virgin and the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple.In the RC church nowadays the feast is treated as a Feast of the Lord rather than a Marian festival,but the same Gospel is read.
Perhaps those who ask about 'Candlemas' and whether it was kept ,are asking really about the procession with the candles and the blessing of candles for use at the altar throughout the year. This procession came in later and may be something which came from pre Christian Rome in the month of February,the month dedicated to febrile or feverish activity of spring cleaning.

Certainly every Catholic church which had a Mass on 2nd February would have commemorated Candlemas,though probably only a few would have had the candle ceremony and only a few would have had special singing.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Enoch:

quote:
I've no more seen Candlemas spelt with a second 's', than Christmas spelt that way. That does look a bit like an Anglo-Catholic affectation.
I dug out an old file on the computer to sort out the Candlemas responsory. To my chagrin I saved it as Candlemass, but obviously common sense prevailed because it was spelt Candlemas on the document itself!

ETA: I have seen Christmas spelt Christmass but, to be fair that was an Anglo-Catholic Church in Brighton.

There was a low church Anglican in the 19th Century, called Thomas Massey who insisted that Christmas ought to be called Christtide and Candlemas Candletide. His detractors referred to him as Tomtide Tidey.

[ 06. February 2018, 10:50: Message edited by: Callan ]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:I've no more seen Candlemas spelt with a second 's', than Christmas spelt that way. That does look a bit like an Anglo-Catholic affectation.. [/QB]
Yes - and Michaelmass. It's the mass that matters.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
I dug out an old file on the computer to sort out the Candlemas responsory. To my chagrin I saved it as Candlemass, but obviously common sense prevailed because it was spelt Candlemas on the document itself!

ETA: I have seen Christmas spelt Christmass but, to be fair that was an Anglo-Catholic Church in Brighton.

There was a low church Anglican in the 19th Century, called Thomas Massey who insisted that Christmas ought to be called Christtide and Candlemas Candletide. His detractors referred to him as Tomtide Tidey.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Serve him right. He was asking for it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
But the way it works is a bit clunky: there are still (even with this year's early Easter) a couple of weeks Ordinary time between Candlemas and Ash Wednesday.

I wonder if it's because this period is also prone to liturgical tinkering, with "Creation Sunday" and "Transfiguration Sunday". Might the odd transference rules about Candlemas be attempting to preserve these oddities in the calendar?
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

I suspect it’s more to do with having a simple rule which never risks colliding with Lent (which can begin as early as 4th February).
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I suspect it’s more to do with having a simple rule which never risks colliding with Lent (which can begin as early as 4th February).

There is a simple rule for that already: keep festivals on their proper dates, and get people to get over the habit of God being for an hour on a Sunday morning! <NB: a little tongue in cheek!>
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

If only...

One of our Churchwardens, along with the Treasurer, frequently complains that our Sunday morning Eucharist is TOO LONG, even though it only very rarely lasts more than an hour.

If she were to take her Warden's duties seriously, she'd be at church to welcome people at least 15 minutes in advance, but no - she always arrives towards the end of the first hymn.

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016