homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do you believe angels appeared at Mons and white cavalry at Bethune?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do you believe angels appeared at Mons and white cavalry at Bethune?
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At critical stages in WWI and following national days of prayer I'm not aware of a serious argument against the cavalry and the arguments against the angels at Mons don't undermine what I believe to be good criteria for judging these things:
1) many independant witnesses on both sides
2) fits biblical evidence / God's faithfulness

What are you criteria for deciding whether you believe thses things?

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yonatan
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Yonatan   Email Yonatan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In short, 'no', I don't. There is too little reliable first hand evidence. That the stories are consistent with the Bible (assuming they are), is not an argument in their favour - it merely means that someone with a belief in the Bible could also believe in the Mons phenomena without inconsistency.

If I were being asked to investigate similar claims today, I would want (amongst other things) eye witness testimony, psychological profiles of the witnesses, possible cultural cues for what they saw and precise data regarding the environment in which the sightings took place.

Oh and one other question, why is this in Heaven?

--------------------
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope... and love."
Angela Montenegro
'Bones'

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
If I were being asked to investigate similar claims today, I would want (amongst other things) eye witness testimony, psychological profiles of the witnesses, possible cultural cues for what they saw and precise data regarding the environment in which the sightings took place.

Father Benedict Groeschel was speaking on EWTV yesterday (I don't make a habit of watching it, but my father does and I was visiting him) about one of the lesser known apparitions of the BVM. Someone in the audience asked him why the Church doesn't place more emphasis on phenomena such as these.

His answer (given quite diplomatically, I thought) was essentially that although the Church sees no harm in permitting the faithful to indulge in such devotions, it stops short of ratifying them with its official blessing, taking into consideration the very points that Yonatan raised above.

--------------------
"All the faith in the universe can never make something that is false, become truth." -- Las Vegas Richard

Posts: 7903 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure angels appeared. I believe people saw angels.

--------------------
"Augustine, who knew about these things, had to be dragged to the bishop's chair." -- Michael Banner

Posts: 9033 | From: The North | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
What are you criteria for deciding whether you believe thses things?

My relationship with the witnesses.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 56405 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I didn't know much about the story so I wiki'd it, and the article there at least ascribes the story to a piece of patriotic short fiction published in a newsapaper. The author told people it was entirely fictional, and when asked by various priests and parishes if it could be reprinted for magazines and pamphlets, he said 'ok' but also pointed out that he couldn't provide sources for the story because there were none.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 2986 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
QJ
Shipmate
# 14873

- Posted      Profile for QJ   Email QJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, I'm ignorant. the Miracle at Mons, what was it? do i google "Mons?"

Do you believe this miracle suggested you do something?

--------------------
QJ

Posts: 111 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QJ:
sorry, I'm ignorant. the Miracle at Mons, what was it? do i google "Mons?"

I googled "Angels at Mons" and found this.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Historicy, veracity and political significance of heavenly apparitions - more Purgatory than Heaven (despite the angels)

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 14793 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gildas
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Gildas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Short story by Arthur Machen later taken by some to be an historical account of actual events. Much the same as the Onion spoof with J K Rowling as a practising diabolist that got taken up and copied by born again Christians as an awful warning. People believed them because they fitted peoples internal narrative preconceptions (God being on the side of the British, the Harry Potter books promoting occultism).

File under 'Human, all too human'.

--------------------
"Morning Star!" - Communist newspaper seller, circa late '80s.
"Morning Petal!" - traditional response to same.

Posts: 8460 | From: A place where no shadows fall | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which means I can now post a less fluffy opionion:

Do you believe angels appeared at Mons and white cavalry at Bethune?

No.

Given the ideological roots of WWI, it would indicate that God was a British imperialist rather than a German imperialist. If there is one instance of religious belief which is invariably pernicious, it is that God is on your side in anything involving killing.

The OP asks what is my criteria for judging these things? That would be the idiocy of anyone who thinks their political/national entity has supernatural backing.

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI, this story is all about a miraculous team of angels turning up to help out the British side against the Germans in the Battle of Mons in 1914, yes?

I think the fact that the British lost and the Germans won might provide a clue as to whether it was true or not [Disappointed]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Which means I can now post a less fluffy opionion:

Do you believe angels appeared at Mons and white cavalry at Bethune?

No.

Given the ideological roots of WWI, it would indicate that God was a British imperialist rather than a German imperialist. If there is one instance of religious belief which is invariably pernicious, it is that God is on your side in anything involving killing.

The OP asks what is my criteria for judging these things? That would be the idiocy of anyone who thinks their political/national entity has supernatural backing.

Your knowledge of the First World War seems very sketchy. Have you ever read any proper books on it or do you get your information from Blackadder? I'm not talking about the Angel, but about your kneejerk imperialism comments. Where was the British imperialism at Mons?
Posts: 201 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by trouty:
Your knowledge of the First World War seems very sketchy. Have you ever read any proper books on it or do you get your information from Blackadder? I'm not talking about the Angel, but about your kneejerk imperialism comments. Where was the British imperialism at Mons?

Your own take is not too perceptive if you don't grasp the import of the term 'imperialist' here (which I am applying to both Britain and Germany). You know, I take it, about the dimensions of the rivalry between those two countries in terms of naval power and overseas territories - (and the concommitant economic/industrial base)? Throw in Austro-Hungarian rule in central & eastern Europe, the French and their overseas dominions, and I cannot see how you can fail to see the War as a clash of empires, and about empire.

[ 22. February 2010, 13:37: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The answer to the OP is no.

It does, how-ever raise the whole issue of apparitions. Is it necessary, if you are a Christian to believe in seeing visions and dreaming dreams?

Given the sensible posts by Yonatan and Amanda.

--------------------
http://quodsemper.blogspot.com

Posts: 906 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Firenze said. the Angel of Mons - and half a dozen other similar stories - came out of a piece of fiction by Arthur Machen (who is a good writer by the way - deserves to be read)

The Wikipedia article describes the process, though it does bend over backwards to be fair to the deluded. Really the whole thing never happened. No-one even mentioned it for six months after the battle.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Firenze said. And yes I've read a mess of books.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up a few miles from where Arthur Machen was born so have long been aware of 'The Bowmen' and the Angels of Mons legends.

As has been said, Machen himself tried to damp down the myth but through jingoism and wishful thinking it spiralled out of control.

One can perhaps understand this in the immediate context of the First World War. But what I don't get is how NJA, all this time later, seems to take it seriously.

Does it fit in with your church's whacky British Israelite views, NJA?

Oh ... and by the way, although technically a German victory, Mons was seen as a British moral victory, rather like Dunkirk in WW2. We're good at that, us Brits. [Biased]

But it was certainly a well-executed tactical withdrawal and the 'Old Contemptibles' inflicted very heavy casualties on the Kaiser's troops. The fire from their Lee Enfields was so intense that the Germans thought they were facing batteries of machine guns.

The British regulars knew how to conduct a fighting withdrawal from experience in Afghanistan. It was their marksmanship and field craft that prevented them from being overwhelmed by a considerably larger German force. No need for apparitions and so forth.

And divine intervention didn't prevent either the RC French and the Protestant/RC Germans and Brits from slugging it out murderously in the trenches for the next four bloody years.

Some would argue that the Americans tipped the balance when they came into the War in 1917. Others that their intervention came just as the Germans were giving way. At any rate, the protagonists were all flesh and blood. There was certainly plenty of that.

[Votive]

Gamaliel

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 10036 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorta vaguely related to the general theme, but The Necronomicon is a fictional book, created by H.P. Lovecraft, which some occultists claim actually exists. I remember purported translations of the book selling at my local chain bookstore, next to copies of The Satanic Bible.

And since there are probably a few people on here who know a lot more about H.P. than I do, I should probably leave my commentary at that.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is Lord!

Posts: 4148 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely any real angelic visitation would have put a stop, angelically, to the whole bloody business.
Posts: 811 | From: middle of the Pacific | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One aspect of this would be that mass hysteria and the fabrication of weird "true" stories doesn't need the Internet.

But the 'Net does make the whole process a lot quicker!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 4901 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I remind all of you who have answered the OP that your opinions are irrelevant? After all you don't speak in tongues, therefore you are not born again, therefore you are carnal and cannot understand spiritual things. Please be quiet, and listen to words of spiritual wisdom. [Two face]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8526 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yonatan
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Yonatan   Email Yonatan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
therefore you are carnal....

Chance would be a fine thing!

--------------------
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope... and love."
Angela Montenegro
'Bones'

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
May I remind all of you who have answered the OP that your opinions are irrelevant? After all you don't speak in tongues, therefore you are not born again, therefore you are carnal and cannot understand spiritual things. Please be quiet, and listen to words of spiritual wisdom. [Two face]

Wait! I can speak in tongues. Does that mean I get spiritual wisdom? Where do I sign?

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please don't post in tongues.
Posts: 2507 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

No fear. Makes the screen soggy.

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What did the huns see then?

Both sides were governed by imperialistic-nationalistic warmongers.

World war 1 was a nationalists dream until the butchers bill starting to turn up late in 1914 and 1915.

Why would God have a 'special' relationship with the allied side as opposed to a broadly similar opponent? Were the huns all beast who ate children? Of course they weren't.

I think its jingoistic nonsense - by the way I do believe angels are God's meesengers though I don't believe God was/is particular about which ''side'' we're on; more whats in our hearts really.

Saul

Posts: 1743 | From: not sure really? | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both these events were the out pouring of jangled nerves produce apparations , at least in minds of troops under immense pressure . These events then got caught up by the popular press of the day and ended up being propoganda .
For the record I do believe that the BVM andf indeed Jesus may put in appearances Fatima 1917 being s prime example . So was there an angelica horde at Mons ? Who knows? None of us were there . [Smile] [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 843 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a good brief summary of the story.
Posts: 442 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To answer the question, I don't believe that Angels manifested over Mons, any more than pink teddy bears manifest themselves over the Houses of Parliament or polka dotted leprechauns hover over the Guiness factory in Dublin.

If anything in 1914 there was needless slaughter being done in the name of a soon to be discredited arrogant and jingoistic imperialism on both sides. Unlike the Nazi holocaust IMO in WW1 there was a cigarette papers difference between Imperial Germany and Imperial Britain. Both ruling classes were intent on agrandisment of the worst inflated kind.

Saul

[ 25. February 2010, 19:06: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

--------------------
I am not who you think I am. I repeat I am not who you think I am.

Posts: 1743 | From: not sure really? | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2014