homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Baptism of Master Strange - your invitation (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Baptism of Master Strange - your invitation
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Shippies

In my time on board the Ship of Fools I have received such love and support that I can hardly tell. This is all the more amazing that I've only met about two shipmates in real life and yet I've enjoyed the prayer support of a whole community. Many of you have supported us through the horrors of four miscarriages over a number of years, so it is only right that can celebrate with us, now that Master Strange has arrived.

We're baptising him on 13 May 2012 at St Paul's Church, Leamington Spa, and you're invitied.

This is a normal family service with the baptism added in the middle somewhere. So that shippies are not surprised on the day, let me tell you that St Paul's is a family-oriented, evangelical Anglican church with a band and lots of groups for children. The service will begin at 10.30am but parking can be a trial, so come a bit earlier if you can. After the service, we might walk around to the nearby Jephson Gardens for a picnic.

We are inviting everyone we know, so - and here I need your understanding - I will be overwhelmed with attending to my extended family and thus the chances of me being able to spend quality time with shippies are slim. It is a shame.

I did wonder that if lots of shippies want to come, perhaps there could be an informal shipmeet at a nearby pub or in the gardens?

Interested?

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm certainly interested!

I'm within easy reach by train, (provided there are no engineering works) know Leamington well, and went to St Paul's for a couple of months a few summers ago when I was living in the area temporarily.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh I wish I could make it! I'll be thinking of our young Master Strange on the day!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to come, but there's a large pond in the way.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Jonathan, sadly, it's too far for me. Delighted for you in your joy tho' and will be thinking of you, your family and especially baptismal prayers for young Strange on that day.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We won't be able to make it as we haven't sussed travelling with 2 small people yet...

but having shared part of your journey with you will certainly be thinking of you all and sending many good wishes your way.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
jackanapes
Shipmate
# 12374

- Posted      Profile for jackanapes   Email jackanapes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'd love to be there and we know a few people at St Paul's, so it's very tempting. However, we're trying to limit the number of expeditions we mount with jack and jill, as long days out tend to leave us all a bit knackered and grouchy. We will certainly remember you.

Hope all is well with the Strange family.

Posts: 468 | From: The bottom of my heart | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes to you all. A bit far from way downunder.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, it's unlikely that we shall be there, but the date's in the diary and the little fellow will be remembered.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ye gods, 'course we're interested. Bunches of interested people are smiling all over the Ship Universe about this. So many of us only wish we could be there in person.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must look round for a silver teething ring...

You will remember to print this thread out and show it to him when he's sixteen, won't you?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wrong side of the pond I'm afraid, but I can offer prayers and best wishes. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have checked I'm not doing anything else that Sunday, so I will be there!

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Janine said..

have a wonderful celebration with you family and friends.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sending my very best wishes for you all - I have to be in the church of which I am the vicar at that time on a Sunday morning, or else I would certainly have been there.

Can anyone who is going let us all know how it went?

[ 04. April 2012, 08:03: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly, I will be there, beaming Canadian smiles the entire time!

I will certainly remember you at Mass on that Sunday, although 0830 EDT is a little past the baptismal time.

May I ask that we be apprised of his baptismal names? (All 16 thousand of them [Big Grin] )

If you would rather not, perhaps a PM?

Every blessing on you all.

[Axe murder] honorary Grampa PeteC

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
May I ask that we be apprised of his baptismal names? (All 16 thousand of them [Big Grin] )

I'm pretty sure one was Hrothgar. [Big Grin]

Sadly, I've got a weekend away booked for that weekend, or I'd love to have been there.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose I can say that his nicknames have been Pickle, Mr.Wriggle, Mr.Baby, His Royal Cuteness, Grumblestiltskin, Megababy (for when he's in super-hero mode) and many more.

His real name is

Richard Charles

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will actually be in UK at the time but hope to be at Meeting for Worship with Birkenhead Friends - I will try to remember to remember you all and hold you all in the Light, which I do anyway.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there. Really.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Ye gods, 'course we're interested. Bunches of interested people are smiling all over the Ship Universe about this. So many of us only wish we could be there in person.

Can't say it any better than that. Many blessings upon the young Master Strange!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonathan Strange, just think of us as your "clouds of witnesses who surround (you) on every side" (though not quite countless as heaven's stars ).

I think I read something like that somewhere [Big Grin] .

I too will be with you in spirit.

Huia

[ 05. April 2012, 06:34: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely put, Huia. Many blessing to the Strange Family.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As expressed so nicely above... I'll be there in spirit. I'm so glad... and thanks very much for the invitation!
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be attending my niece's wedding in Norwich that weekend so I can't be with you in person.
Count me in that cloud of witnesses. [Smile]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will rejoice that it is happening even though we must rejoice from farther away than we would like.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said, Gwai.

Enjoy your day, JS

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a nice tradition, I think, for those who cannot be at an event in person, to give a *spiritual bouquet* (several people did this for me on my reception). (A bit like the well-wishing gifts of fairy godmothers [Biased] )

If it doesn't offend your religious sensibilities, Jonathan, I will offer the rosary of the Joyful Mysteries for Richard Charles.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish I could be there but the Atlantic Ocean divides. But many prayers and good wishes.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

If people want to send me messages/greetings, that I could make into an SoF card/booklet/memento for young Master Strange and take with me on the day, I'd be very happy to do that on our behalf.

Just a thought...

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a fab idea Japes - how would this work?

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

You are all very kind - thank you.
Jahlove: thank you very much for such a meaningful gift; we would be delighted.

I'm happy to provide my RL address if that helps.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Strange:
...I'm happy to provide my RL address if that helps.

I know you probably know this but just in case PLEASE only supply your real life address by PM to people you trust - please DO NOT publish it on an open thread!

WW
All Saints Host

[ 06. April 2012, 08:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will also be thinking of you on the day, and wishing the Strange family much happiness.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread has touched me very much in light of the history contained.

I wish we weren't a multi-national board full of busy people so that more of us could fully represent our feelings with our actual presence.

May God's Light and Grace surround you now, during the service, and throughout the lives of your family and your son.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having shared a Shipmates Expecting thread with you I would love to, but the travel practicalities might be tricky with a five month old in tow! Hope you have a wonderful celebration.

PS Soooo, how much sleep are you getting these days? [Devil]

[ 07. April 2012, 16:11: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
If people want to send me messages/greetings, that I could make into an SoF card/booklet/memento for young Master Strange and take with me on the day, I'd be very happy to do that on our behalf.

Just a thought...

Japes, please add my name to anything you compile - thank you.

--------------------

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So delighted to hear about the baptism, can't be with you on the day but will be thinking of you all and there in spirit.

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

Just a thought...

Japes, please add my name to anything you compile - thank you.
And mine. Pete

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And mine too please.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be going from Rugby to Sevenoaks on that day and may be able to make it, but my travel is not yet settled.

Japes, Please add my name.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I'm making a note of the names as they are added!!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please add us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And mine!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too, please.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JS, it was your very moving OP that got me off the lurkers' bench at last. Have a very blessed day [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And mine too, please, Japes!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine too, please! Have a glorious, blessed day!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm making a note of the names as they are added!!

Thank you, Japes!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please also add my name to the list.

May the life of the expanded Strange family be filled with Grace and Love and wonder.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016