homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 3 sheets to the wind, a sailing thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 3 sheets to the wind, a sailing thread
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ship after all, is a ship. Does anyone sail in real life?

In the 1970s and 80s, I sailed in the summers, had a sailboard in those days, no boat but crewed for others. Then for neigh on 25 years not: children, aging parents, etc. I just spent my income tax refund on a 1972 vintage, 15 foot, sloop rigged sail boat with trailer. How can such a boat be sold to us for only $2200 all in? It was at the urging of a family member who has been through a terrible year that I began looking, and I would do pretty near anything to make her smile, so sailors we shall be. She suggests we will act like pirates, at least insofar as we swashbuckle (not completely sure what's involved) but we'll practice saying meaningful things like 'aarrrrrg!' and 'avast' and 'scurvy rats!'

It looks quite like this one, except no little foredeck cabin, just a storage hatch. It is off to find a lake for the weekend that is free of ice.

We're taking suggestions on names for the boat. I was turned down on "Pirate Ship". Lacking imagination apparently. [Smile]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just here as a fan. adore sail boats, dream of onboard life. someday, someday.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
We're taking suggestions on names for the boat. I was turned down on "Pirate Ship". Lacking imagination apparently. [Smile]

Queen Anne's Revenge? The Black Pig? Walrus? Hispaniola?
(extra points for getting the references...)

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to learn to sail. (I had a couple of lessons when on holiday once, but that's my entire experience.) Sadly, it's way down in the "One day when I have all the free time" section of my to-do list…
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not much of a sailor, but there was I time I was quite keen on windsurfing.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've crewed a little, can set courses and use a sextant reliably, so I'd be happy to act as VASCO to anyone.

I'm deeeply envious of you, no prophet, but I've seen what a cash-sink boats can be. Hope she serves you well and you make a good partnership.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac: Blackbeard, Captain Pugwash, ?, and Treasure Island

I always rather liked the Albatross - the name of Errol Flynn's ship in The Sea Hawk. Or possibly The Sea Witch, a ship which Gregory Peck stole when he was being Hornblower (I think). Oh, and The Black Swan, of course, from the Tyrone Power film of the same name!

In the 1950s TV series the Buccaneers, the main ship was the Sultana.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top marks, Eigon - I must confess that I nicked the "Walrus" from wikipedia, it was the late Captain Flint's ship in Treasure Island.

Adrian

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do I sail? er, yes, quite a lot! (Just been down to Newtown Harbour today, have little 25' cruiser based in Gosport. Newtown is, of course, on the Isle of Wight. As is Newport. And Yarmouth. I thought everyone knew that.) Sailing can give more pure unalloyed pleasure than most other human activities, at least in retrospect, even if in reality one has been wet, cold, tired, frightened and seasick.

Also have a 40 year old sailboat 14 feet long (GP14 dinghy). Hope the OP has as much fun with their little boat as I have had with mine.

Definition of boat. Hole in water into which one pours money.

Boat names. Queen Anne's Revenge is, as already noted, forever associated with my illustrious ancestor. Also already taken (but they may give a little inspiration) are Vlad (Impala class yacht), Rising Damp (Fireball dinghy, Fireball crew will understand), and Never Again II.

Hope this helps ...

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to dream of having a fishing charter service named "Happy Hookers" with the boats named things like "jail bait" and "bottom trawler".

probably not the way you're going, though. [Biased]

Calico Jack's ship was named The Ranger, if I remember correctly. (I have a GREAT book on piracy but it's out of reach) I can't remember others aside from what has been mentioned. when I'm near my book I'll check again.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luvanddaisies ran away to sea a couple of years back and is currently sailing across the Atlantic. I'll have to tell her this thread is here so when she's next ashore (or with internet access) I'm sure she'll join you to enthuse...
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got the boat out to an ice free lake and puddled carefully with just the main sail. The temperature got to a magnificent 6°C so we were quite careful. One must not fall in in such temps. The water matched the air for temp.

As for names for the boat, The Silly Goose was the main suggestion on this long weekend (took Monday away also). There was a lot of waterfowl. I suggested The Loon thereby, and was told nicely, that 'no, that is your name'. The Horned Grebe, Ruddy Duck, and various less polite combinations thereof were also suggested amid laughter and shivering.

I am sorry to say that The Sea Witch, Treaure Island, Albatross, Walrus, Sultana had no traction with this crew. Continuing to take all manner of suggestion however. The comment was "are those people [on the SOF] all middle aged with weird senses of humour like you?". I said I was unsure of the first, and could only suggest I was perhaps the weirdest.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Beagle", of course, and you can have a picture of Snoopy on the transom!

I used to own a minute dinghy, 10', called an Adventurer. It was as small as a boat could be without being a bathtub, and had no standing rigging at all, but Miss S and I used to sail her on the Solent, run aground, break the rudder, that sort of thing.

However, once we had taken a flotilla holiday in the Adriatic I'm afraid the bathtub no longer appealed. A boat you could step on dryshod, with an engine you could start to get you out of trouble, in the sunshine and with plenty of room to make mistakes where no-one can see you - what's not to love about that? We made plenty of mistakes in full view, mind - just don't ask about Fiskardo!

Hope you enjoy your boat, no_prophet ...

Th Sea-Going Mrs. S (avast there!)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess to being middle aged with a weird sense of humour!

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JB has always wanted a boat and searches on the internet for boats to buy. Unfortunately, we don't have a big mass of water to sail on, so a fantasy is as far as it gets. [Big Grin]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this will count as middle-aged with a weird sense of humour, but the best boat name I've seen is "Mayday". Painted upside down on the bow, so it'll be clear in case of capsize.

Alternatively, would they let you go down the "Anonymous", "Nameless", "This is not a boat" line?

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh ooooh ooooh we're going sailing again in a fortnight!

Mr S [Angel] found a bargain and we are off to the Ionian for two whole weeks, having rearranged all sorts of things and probably terminally offended all our friends and half the family - still, it will be worth it. I wonder if Greece will still have the euro then?

(P.S. I hope, when the staff at fracture clinic take the cast off my wrist today, they don't suddenly find anything that causes them to tut and suck their teeth - eeek!)

The Intrepid Mrs. S, thoroughly overexcited!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
I'm not sure if this will count as middle-aged with a weird sense of humour, but the best boat name I've seen is "Mayday". Painted upside down on the bow, so it'll be clear in case of capsize.

Alternatively, would they let you go down the "Anonymous", "Nameless", "This is not a boat" line?

So far as UK is concerned, for a boat that isn't registered and doesn't have a radio licence, there isn't a "they" and you could probably do as you like ... if you need to register (which you would if going to France!) then I expect those names wouldn't be accepted (certainly "Mayday" wouldn't be). Similarly radio licence. (Imagine the consequences of radio messages between "Mayday" and "This is not a boat"!)

Though I did know of an OK dinghy "This Way Up".

And, while on a radio course, I met a man with a yacht, just bought second-hand, "Tart". Ideal - short, distinctive and unlikely to cause confusion ... - though the new owner was a bit unsure of it ...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The names in the running for our little sloop (boy that sounds classy doesn't it!) are:

-The Boat
-Pirate Ship
-Hyperion
-Sail la Vie
-Cajazzal
-The Snork Maiden

Still accepting suggestions, though they are heavily vetted by The Crew.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I ... can ... use a sextant reliably, ...

Now that's a very special, and most satisfying, skill, and quite rare these days.
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember many years ago seeing a small boat named Slopalong Placidly.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I ... can ... use a sextant reliably, ...

Now that's a very special, and most satisfying, skill, and quite rare these days.
If kids were taught practical navigation I reckon many more would grow up with a better understandng of mathematics. I think it's like riding a bike: you never really forget.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Seeing the dinghy name "This Side Up" reminds me of the children's cartoon character Issi Noho (the name came from the remains of a sign which read This Side Up Use No Hooks).
I like the idea of The Snork Maiden. Didn't the Moomins have a blow up Hemulen?

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote Snork Maiden! That's a very pretty boat, No Prophet.

I don't sail, I really don't like it. Cold and wet and horrible. But Mr Jt9 sails a lot. He has a Sprint15 (small catamaran) named That Was Close, which was a frequent expression of Child A at the time.

He also sails a Spitfire (slightly bigger and faster cat) with his sister. I think it's called Keep Calm and Carry On.

Children A&B now have a boat of their own - well, it's shared, called Gromit. 'Tis a yellow pico (dinky little dinghy, bit like the topper I was forced to sail years ago). A matching yellow pico named Gromit belongs to the brother in law.

There is no hope for me...... [Big Grin]

[ 12. May 2012, 15:58: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am going to press the Snork Maiden.

I just got my Transport Canada 'pleasure craft operator card' this morning to use the 4 HP auxiliary outboard motor. An incredibly annoying online exam this morning with 3 hours of reading (timed) required, plus a 75 min 50 question exam. Well, now I know how to anchor an ocean liner and what to do if I come across one. Maybe I'll get me a flare gun to go with the pirate hat, parrot and sword.

I wonder, are boating licences required everywhere now? And are they equally esoteric and annoying?

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
I wonder, are boating licences required everywhere now? And are they equally esoteric and annoying?

So far as UK is concerned: the only paperwork you need (for tidal waters, inland is another matter) for a small or moderately big boat, even a powerful motor yacht, is the banker's draft or cheque to pay for it.

There's some debate about this. There is also a very good training scheme but it's purely voluntary and there is a strong body of opinion that a voluntary code is better than a compulsory one; a compulsory scheme would set a lower standard and could easily be avoided.

Accident stats don't make out a very convincing case for a compulsory scheme, sailing is not an especially dangerous sport and most fatalities seem to arise from misfortune or basic stupidity rather than anything which could be tackled by legislation. There's also the question of enforcement, at present we are not spectacularly good at enforcing requirements for cars and drivers despite road transport being, AFAICS, rather more dangerous than sailing.

The rules change, and are very strict, for large vessels or anything used commercially.

The UK view is not universal, the French for instance have quite strict rules applying to the skipper, to the boat and to its equipment.

On the whole I'm in favour of the voluntary approach, a view which tends to change temporarily when I see some especially thoughtless example of boat use.

The example you quote for quite a small boat does seem a bit over the top ...

Blackbeard (Yachtmaster, admitting to the occasional foul-up)

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the sea yesterday for the first time in weeks, and actually got onto a little ferry with several ship mates and some of their offspring. It led in minutes to discussion of whether a Ship sailing trip would be feasible.

Oh, I think it'll have to happen. The three times I've been sailing (cheap deal, with colleagues and with friends) I have almost completely disappeared behind my own grin.

Cattyish, happy thoughts.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:

So far as UK is concerned: the only paperwork you need (for tidal waters, inland is another matter) for a small or moderately big boat, even a powerful motor yacht, is the banker's draft or cheque to pay for it.
What must you do for inland waters?

The strange thing about the Canadian law is that no operator card is require to sail, kayak nor canoe. Only for a motorized anything on the water. I have no issue of enforcement of laws against abject stupidity or endangerment of others, just think it is very silly to have to know about what VHF channel I must use if caught in a storm or if a kraken wants to devour us in the 60 foot yacht I will never captain. $250 fine without the card if they ask for it, even if not using the aux motor. The main comment here has been that this sounds like a made in Ontario idea.

On the name, they are uniting, it appears to name her the Silly Goose, while I'm pushing for Snork Maiden. Not sure how it will turn out yet, though I normally lose all debates.

[ 14. May 2012, 03:17: Message edited by: no_prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

There isn't a right of navigation on UK inland waters, so the rules are set by whoever controls navigation. On my local canal, for instance, you need a licence but (for a very small boat anyway) this is mainly a means of raising money, it's just a question of paying for it (I think). On the Thames - I don't know what requirements there are for the skipper but there are certainly some very stringent rules on boat safety and equipment.

Of course I realise that your definition of inland waters might be a bit different from ours - you have bigger lakes than we do.

If you want to hire/charter a boat the owner will set the requirements for skipper/crew competence at any level he feels appropriate.

Radio - don't know about circumstances on your patch but on UK tidal waters, if you and boat already have appropriate licences, it would be worth having a marine VHF radio on board. A small portable set shouldn't break the bank (a waterproof cover would be useful, especially if it will then float when accidentally dropped). Apart from being a generally handy bit of kit, it's the most effective way of summoning help if things go pear shaped. (I imagine you already have to carry pinpoint red/orange smoke flares as well? in France you can be fined for having out-of-date ones even if you have in-date ones as well - now that is just silly!).

Incidentally - the boat - is she what I would call a dinghy (fairly light, centreboard, no ballast), or does she have a more substantial build and a bit of ballast (and probably still a centreboard, perhaps a weighted one)?

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There isn't a right of navigation on UK inland waters, so the rules are set by whoever controls navigation. On my local canal, for instance, you need a licence but (for a very small boat anyway) this is mainly a means of raising money, it's just a question of paying for it (I think). On the Thames - I don't know what requirements there are for the skipper but there are certainly some very stringent rules on boat safety and equipment.

Its on the Environment Agency website. £32 a year to register an unpowered boat, which allows you to use the Thames above Teddington Lock and all its tributaries and the lakes that connect to it.

On the other hand the Thames below Teddington, through Inner London and out to the Kent and Essex, is tidal seawater, and there is a free right of public access. Even though it is a far, far, more dangerous waterway than the upper river. You can take your rowing boat and launch it at a public slipway without paying anyone a penny. Once you are on the river thare are traffic rules and safety rules to obey - there are even traffic lights in some places - and if you break them you would get fined a lot of money. Assuming you were still alive. Going onto the Thames in London in a small boat would be a crazy thing to do if you didn't know exactly what you were doing. Or in a big boat, or no boat at all. It can be a dangerous place.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

At least my Canadian BOAT* licence is a lifetime thing.

*(BOAT is apparently an acronym, wonder what for, looking it up would spoil it, I'm thinking Big Oversized Ass Test myself).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have my Competant Crew qualification and hubby is working towards his yachtmaster. We are due to have a sailing holiday together this year. [Smile]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

It is the Silly Goose.

Back story: when one of my nieces was young, she liked to recite things like "aching head go to bed silly silly goosehead". It is being attributed to this, and related giggling. I have mentioned that giggling will be permitted on board the Silly Goose when the Captain so orders. I am apparently to expect mutiny.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016