homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Depression is not a real mental illness, but a manifestation of the sin of pride. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Depression is not a real mental illness, but a manifestation of the sin of pride.
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So says Malcolm Bowden in this very short clip that made me so angey I wanted to scream.

4though.tv Is faith a remedy for depression?

Dear Mr Bowden,

I would always defend your right to free speech and to believe what you wish but PLEASE if you have any compassion or empathy at all PLEASE stop counselling people.
Depression is a very serious problem and can have many causes, some of them to do with brain chemistry.
To advise a vulnerable person with depression that their problem is a manifestation of sin and pride is a wicked form of abuse. You should think seriously about the damage you are causing to people’s lives.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

(Interest declared - on 150mg venlafaxine per day.)

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's the transcript provided by ECHURCH BLOG

"I consider that depression and many other mental illnesses are very deliberately decided by that person.

My name is Malcolm Bowden, I’m a committed evangelical Christian, and have been giving true Biblical counselling to many people with mental health problems. And from my experience, I believe that depression is a behavioural problem, rooted in pride, self-centredness, and self-pity.

True Christians, if they accept the Bible as being the Word of God, they will read in there many encouragements to live the full outgoing and loving Christian life. And a Christian, a TRUE Christian, should not ever be depressed, because he should be living his life for others, and he should have that peace of heart with God, when he knows that God has promised him a wonderful future in heaven with him.

Many depressed people turn in on themselves and feel that people are against them, the world’s not going right, they don’t appreciate how hard they’re working, they’re terribly proud of their situation, and try to be perfect in order to impress people, and people aren’t ultimately impressed, and when they suddenly deflate themselves, they fall right back into a pit of depression.

Man is basically so proud and so self-centred, he refuses to come to God in total humility. But that is ultimately what God is seeking from all of us, and we reject His requirements at our peril."

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
You should think seriously about the damage you are causing to people’s lives.

I wonder what the suicide rate is amongst people with depression "treated" with this approach. I would imagine it might be quite high.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Man is basically so proud and so self-centred, he refuses to come to God in total humility.
Did anyone else notice the irony here?

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As soon as he says, 'a true Christian should never be depressed', you know he's a quack, as no genuine counsellor or psychotherapist would use the 'should' word in that way.

I'm not sure why this strand of 'Christian counselling' is spreading. It is itself full of pride and ignorance.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
As soon as he says, 'a true Christian should never be depressed', you know he's a quack, as no genuine counsellor or psychotherapist would use the 'should' word in that way.

I'm not sure why this strand of 'Christian counselling' is spreading. It is itself full of pride and ignorance.

And incredibly cruel. Even if you actually believed all that stuff about depression being the result of a person's bad choices, telling them it's all their own fault is hardly likely to help is it? If you're saying someone is a self-centred perfectionist who feels bad because they can't do well enough to please the world, giving them more things to worry about not doing right is going to make it all worse. This kind of counselling doesn't even make sense on its own terms.

[ 26. April 2012, 08:46: Message edited by: Helen-Eva ]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a colossal cunt.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes, it's difficult to know which side of a discussion to empathise with, to feel "on side" with. I experienced that dilemma when listening to this interview.

Also, his voice reminds me somewhat of Stanley Unwin, which decreases even further any possible seriousness with which I might take his words, inasmuch as the content is garbage (which is very similar aurally to garbled).

You know you're in trouble when George Galloway is using you in order to big up his own gravitas. What a wanker.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The answer to this surely lies in fact that drugs make a difference in many cases - a friend and a relative have recently both seen exactly this effect in their lives. So the scientific hypothesis is:

Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance

This predicts:

Drugs may make a difference

This is observed: therefore the hypothesis is 'proved', and this guy is proved to be an idiot.

The problem of course is that in a few cases he may be right; but that's for a counsellor to determine gently, not for idiot to assert to the exclusion of all other explanations.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One positive aspect of it is that no professional body, at least in the UK, would countenance this kind of pseudo-psychological talk. It is obviously out of the mouth of someone untrained.

So hopefully, most people who seek counselling or therapy will have the sense to go through such professional bodies.

Of course, this can still go amiss, as with the 'gay conversion therapy' issue, but as far as I can see, that is also being dealt with now.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Ironically, there seems to be good evidence that religious faith of some kind (I don't think it matters which), does protect people against mental illness and suicide.

However, it is intriguing to speculate as to which aspects of religious faith do this - current ideas seem to be connected with the social community aspect of religion, and the positive thoughts and feelings which it often engenders.

However, this is a different kettle of fish from this kind of quackery, which I would have thought is quite dangerous.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is his webpage. He thinks people like him are the answer to all mental illness. From looking at his website I think he may be mentally ill.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't wish serious depression on anybody. But I'm seriously tempted to wish it on this guy, just so he can experience first hand how wrong he is. [Mad]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Oh no, yet another creationist engineer. What is it about engineering that produces people like this? Apologies to all engineers present, I am sure you are not like this.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
What a colossal cunt.

No. He lacks depth and warmth.

In the 'Team America: World Police' scheme of things he's clearly an asshole.

[ 26. April 2012, 10:01: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Idiotic and irresponsible tosser. Dick.

What is it with crackpot Christians and websites that go on forever on the homepage and basic formatting with endless links circa 1995?

And, of course, the relationship between 'Creation Facts' and 'True Biblical Counselling' should be carefully noted. Good science all round.

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A prime candidate for Fruit Tube, perhaps? Or is it too soul-crushingly awful, even for that?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The devil wears prozac.

AtB, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh no, yet another creationist engineer. What is it about engineering that produces people like this? Apologies to all engineers present, I am sure you are not like this.

A civil and structural eng, moreover. I reckon he spent too long on site without a hard hat. Now he needs a tinfoil one.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

Yeah, but "colossal asshole" doesn't get across the strength of feeling in quite the same way.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More accurate though because arseholes tend to be full of shit, which they then discharge with unpleasant effect from time to time.

[ 26. April 2012, 10:49: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

The only way I could better that comment would be to accompany it with a thwack across his face with a large plank.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a complete turd. I don't know whether to feel [Mad] or [Projectile]

[Votive] for any poor souls that have been "counselled" by this deadshit.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

Reminds me of when I was told that worrying was a sin. Yeah that really helped.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The man's a coward too. If you're going to criticise a group of vulnerable people, better choose Depression Sufferers and not - for instance - sufferers of violent psychopathic disorders who have access to sturdy and unkindly-shaped camping equipment.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One or two charming souls have gently suggested that I don't need medication to control my occasional epileptic fits. Listen, I tell them: if I discontinue my meds, I have fits.

A substantial part of the probelm is the term 'drugs'. These ignorant zealots take the view that drugs that affect the brain affect the mind (which ain't necessarily so) and as anti-depressants and anti-convulsants do just that they are eevil, so any healing must involve freedom from the drugs.

Note that the proponents of this view aren't at all stupid. They are ignorant and zealous, which does as much harm and with far less excuse.

eta: I don't discount myself from the sin of pride, but anyone who tries to form even the most tenuous link betweeen sin and illness needs some elementary scriptural teaching.

[ 26. April 2012, 11:56: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

'Wilfully ignorant', I believe, is the kindest term I can find to describe them

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched this last night while signed off sick with major depression and anxiety. It made me feel a whole lot better about myself. [Roll Eyes]

Reading the 'case studies' on his website horrifies me with their cruelty - vulnerable people being abused by a so called Christian.

Apparently Rethink the mental health charity are complaining to Ofcom about it.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I wouldn't wish serious depression on anybody. But I'm seriously tempted to wish it on this guy, just so he can experience first hand how wrong he is. [Mad]

Chorister, you are a good Christian. You stop at "seriously tempted". I'm not a good Christian. I hope he gets it. Bad. That way, he'll also learn the true meaning of Hell - when every waking thought hurts, when the thought that tomorrow will be like today hits you like a raging bull, when your only hope of respite is not only hoping you can sleep, but praying you don't dream.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know of a woman who does not have classic depression but bipolar disorder. Some jerk-wad, God-heals-everything "friend" (not of her church) persuaded her her that God had cured her, and that she no longer needed meds. She should trust the Lord and not test him by using medication again. She unraveled and started behaving and thinking erratically. One day, not that long after, she killed her husband. (And no, I'm not saying that people with bipolar disorder typically manifest violence. Just that sadly it did in this situation.)

Both she and her husband had been well-liked and well-respected members of a little Episcopal church not that far from mine. Members there still keep in contact with her in prison. She asked why. They told her that she no less than her husband was a member of their church family always. And they loved her.

It's the same way most of us feel about jlg.

[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

The only way I could better that comment would be to accompany it with a thwack across his face with a large plank.
You reminded me of this individual and his cure for mental health issues - are you perhaps already familiar with his work? His observations on laughter therapy can be found on this page. He validates his research by reference to the Old Testament :
quote:
The benefits of laughter have been recorded as far back as the Old Testament. The Book Of Proverbs 17:22 states ''Being cheerful keeps you healthy. It is slow death to be gloomy all the time.''
I'm not seeking to trivialise the issue - I'm not immune to it myself - but these nutjobs abound on the internet.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think this chap is obviously seriously mentally ill. That is the only excuse I can think of for such outrageous claims.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
This is his webpage. He thinks people like him are the answer to all mental illness. From looking at his website I think he may be mentally ill.

I agree. Quite apart from the fact that his website screams 'nutjob' this is a man who genuinely believes the earth is the centre of the universe and has posted reams of 'evidence' to support this. The man's a delusional obsessive. Why is anyone even giving him the time of day, let alone being given a voice on Channel 4. I'm sure Channel 4 could trawl the local hospitals and find someone who's convinced the government is stealing his brainwaves and has a garden shed full of evidence to support his convictions. Doesn't mean you take them seriously!!

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

You reminded me of this individual and his cure for mental health issues - are you perhaps already familiar with his work? His observations on laughter therapy can be found on this page. He validates his research by reference to the Old Testament :
quote:
The benefits of laughter have been recorded as far back as the Old Testament. The Book Of Proverbs 17:22 states ''Being cheerful keeps you healthy. It is slow death to be gloomy all the time.''
I'm not seeking to trivialise the issue - I'm not immune to it myself - but these nutjobs abound on the internet.

Nope, that's a new one to me. I was just referring to the satisfaction of thwacking this guy with a 2 by 4.

As for the link... whoa. I suppose that takes "snap out of it" in a completely DIFFERENT direction.

I think my favourite bit on that page is where he says using his method 3 times on a paedophile can lead to the paedophile committing suicide. How the fuck exactly DOES HE KNOW THIS? REPEAT TESTING?!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Decisive sounding talk that masquerades as knowledge is still ignorance ignorance. We see it everyday with politicians, pundits and assorted others.

Obviously a religious nutbar quack is not the one to consult about mental health troubles. Try a psychiatrist, psychologist or other actually knowledgable specialist. Is he flogging a book? I also would not suggest consulting such lunatics about home plumbing problems, auto repair, making pastry or environmental problems.

Media outlets, also not expert in anything that they report about, like people like this because they draw attention, and modern society, made up of voyeurs with boring lives likes something to distract from their pathetic lives. Maybe he can move in with the Kardashians or Ozzy.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:

Media outlets, also not expert in anything that they report about, like people like this because they draw attention, and modern society, made up of voyeurs with boring lives likes something to distract from their pathetic lives.

You mean like us?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend who calls herself a 'recovering evangelical' sent me the link posted by the OP and noted that this appalling view is gaining ground in certain fundamentalist and evangelical circles. Some evangelicals call for what they call 'accountability psychology' in which the depressed person needs to repent and turn to God rather than to a godless psychiatrist. Their key objection is that therapists/psychiatrists are not trained in biblical principles and ignore the problem of sin.

She linked to one or two blogs

[URL=http:Should Christians Go to Psychiatrists?[/URL]

And an interesting comment here on the Gnosticism of evangelicals who believe that accepting medication indicates a lack of faith in the spiritual and who develop a 'spiritually based defensive structure' for dealing with mental health care.

Evangelicals and psychiatric services

The same delusional thinking that would attempt to 'cure' homosexuality or exorcise people suffering from schizo-affective disorders.

[bad code. go to your room]
[first link opens 50 times -DISABLED]

[ 27. April 2012, 06:30: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:
A friend who calls herself a 'recovering evangelical' sent me the link posted by the OP and noted that this appalling view is gaining ground in certain fundamentalist and evangelical circles. Some evangelicals call for what they call 'accountability psychology' in which the depressed person needs to repent and turn to God rather than to a godless psychiatrist. Their key objection is that therapists/psychiatrists are not trained in biblical principles and ignore the problem of sin.

She linked to one or two blogs

[url= http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer%27s%20Corner/should_christians_go_to_psychiat.htm]Should Christians Go to Psychiatrists?[/url]

And an interesting comment here on the Gnosticism of evangelicals who believe that accepting medication indicates a lack of faith in the spiritual and who develop a 'spiritually based defensive structure' for dealing with mental health care.

Evangelicals and psychiatric services

The same delusional thinking that would attempt to 'cure' homosexuality or exorcise people suffering from schizo-affective disorders.

I would have thought the same reasoning process would lead to not going to godless doctors for physical ailments, either. Accepting, for a microsecond purely for the sake of argument, that mental illnesses are somehow non-physical.

I've certainly come across the viewpoint that 'physical' ailments, also, are/can be a manifestation of sin.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:

I agree. Quite apart from the fact that his website screams 'nutjob' this is a man who genuinely believes the earth is the centre of the universe and has posted reams of 'evidence' to support this. The man's a delusional obsessive. Why is anyone even giving him the time of day, let alone being given a voice on Channel 4. I'm sure Channel 4 could trawl the local hospitals and find someone who's convinced the government is stealing his brainwaves and has a garden shed full of evidence to support his convictions. Doesn't mean you take them seriously!!
Even more worrying from the site is that his co-author Robert Law is a doctor turned vicar - meaning he has the titles to convince people to listen to him instead of recognising [Projectile]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
The answer to this surely lies in fact that drugs make a difference in many cases - a friend and a relative have recently both seen exactly this effect in their lives. So the scientific hypothesis is:

Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance

This predicts:

Drugs may make a difference

This is observed: therefore the hypothesis is 'proved', and this guy is proved to be an idiot.

No, not really. Your brain works by electrochemistry. Your thoughts are instantiated as molecules. So its perfectly possible to imagine that depression, or any other mental state, could be caused by circumstances and thoughts.

That's not thr reason he's an idiot. The reason he is an idiot is because it doesn't matter one way or the other. When someone is in that state they need help, no matter how they got there.

You could break your leg by getting angry and drunk and trying to kick your neighbours wall down. But that doesn't mean that you can cure a broken leg by repentance.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
You reminded me of this individual and his cure for mental health issues - are you perhaps already familiar with his work? His observations on laughter therapy can be found on this page. .

And as for being thumped in the head to cure depression, and its ok because I will only be knocked out for 30 sec at a time...

I sure such treatment does remove memories - repeated blows to the head have been known to do that.

As for the broadcast this 5 min slot on Channel 4 is designed to be provocative, and mostly the weirdos hang themselves with their own words in those few minutes

[if bad code was caused by sin you'd be heading straight to hell]

[ 26. April 2012, 15:44: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's clearly one of the miserable tendency among evangelicals. Where's the grin? Actually he looks depressed.

He'd be dangerous if it was possible to take him seriously. Though I imagine if you are feeling at a low ebb, listening to that sort of crap is not going to be helpful.
[Mad]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, indeed, it wouldn't be helpful. Like others who have posted I have suffered from depression, one time a severe postnatal depression that lasted about 2 years. My GP merely offered Valium when I burst into tears in the consulting room, and even my husband, though he tried, couldn't comprehend the depths of misery I was feeling. I eventually got through it with the help of several female friends, who offered tea and sympathy, and support.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

Amen. And there are some commentators, particularly in Purg, who are adding themselves to the cuntish rollcall.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Oh, that's simple. Hey, you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, you're going to be dealing with it for the rest of your life through a combination of difficult and emotionally taxing therapy, and medication with periodic relapses due to some esoteric combination of stress and hormones and life events we can't really predict.

But there's this dude over here who has an instantaneous, 100% guaranteed to work (if you have enough faith) cure!

Fucking hell. If they offered me something that really could in one day could cure my depression forever, I'd give everything *and* my left arm.

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
What a colossal cunt.

As I constantly assert, assholes are useful (otherwise we'd all be full of shit). For someone who encourages the spread of disease, diminishes comfort, and encourages chafing, there's just one descriptor that applies-- douche.

[ 26. April 2012, 15:06: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to suggest that this guy is not interested in reaching out to anyone who has a mental health issue, but is more interested in reassuring those who don't. One of the scariest things about depression - like cancer - is that it can hit out of the blue, at any time, and affect anyone. You can do things to lower your risk but it can still happen. So just as there's a massive following for people who claim that if you *insert bullshit preventative measure here* you will absolutely never get cancer, there's an attraction to someone who claims that doing X will absolutely prevent depression.

It also gives you a choice not to have to be supportive to anyone you know who is depressed, because it's their fault. Depressed friends and family can be a lot of work, after all. So it's nice to have an excuse not to have to bother looking after them. Without such an excuse, you might have to think about the kind of loving and patient support Jesus would expect you to provide to someone who was suffering. It's a bit like the way we can get out of helping the poor if we convince ourselves that it's entirely their fault that they're poor and anything we do to help just makes it worse. So yeah, I can understand why this would be an attractive idea to someone who wasn't depressed. It's bullshit, and it's dangerous, but attractive.

Utterly bowled over by the idea that depression stems from a surplus of pride though. That's ballsy, even for this guy. Depression strips away your excess pride, and then every ounce of self worth you have, until getting out of bed becomes a fight against an endless jelly wall of self hatred pushing back against you.

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, and then some plonker tells you that you've failed basically! I would say he is the one with excess pride and narcissism.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Even more worrying from the site is that his co-author Robert Law is a doctor turned vicar - meaning he has the titles to convince people to listen to him instead of recognising [Projectile]

Doesn't worry me. There's no intelligence bar on what has was well defined upthread as wilful ignorance. It has its roots in self-deception.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh mi God!!! ( the one I follow as opposed to the wrathful deity subscribed to by this chap) - he's actually resident in the UK?! [Help] . Sorry Pondwellers, when I first glanced at the stuff on his site I assumed that he was based across the Atlantic. [Hot and Hormonal]

Well, the words "True Biblical Counselling" say it all. [Mad] That and the grotty web design.

One word - Bargepole Excuse me while I go away and ponder new and exciting places to stick it.

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016