homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Enigma come to hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Enigma come to hell
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just enterered the cafe - 4 people there - within 30 seconds all had bid their farewells with a couple saying hello and goodbye.
I have no idea what I may have done but it obviously must be something dreadful such that none of them might have stayed for even a minute!! So I am calling myself to hell for being - I don't know what but obviously not interesting.
Quite seriously, when you enter the cafe and people are obviously doing other things and don't notice you that's OK, but when there are people there who acknowledge you then all leave that's just demoralising in the extreme. Just when I thought the ship might extend my family. Oh well!!
(I'm saying this not because I'm in any danger or anything but if I had been needing help I might have headed straight for the overdose) Just saying ... so what's so dreadful about me? Probably just unlucky but if there are any flames to be had please let me know......

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if this is related, but I just tried to log in( mostly to tell you "calm down and have a cookie" if you were still there) and the cafe basically flipped me off. So, maybe it's not that they don't like you, maybe the cafe doesn't like any of us at the moment.

In other words-- shit happens, but the cafe is kind of a shit-happening lightning rod.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, Enigma, it's dinner time in America.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's right. I'm in California; dinnertime is about an hour away.

Also, sometimes you just stroll in exactly at that moment when everyone has decided to pack it in. They may just not have thought to mention it, or assumed someone else would.

[ 23. May 2012, 23:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd recommend putting this on a sticky on the frame of your screen (if you are not using a teeny-weeny smart phone):
quote:
It's not always all about me. Really. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Honestly, does this little pity party belong in Hell?

Oh, right. It doesn't. Bye!

PeteC
Hell Host

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On sober reflection (and a good sleep), I changed my mind. Have at it.

PeteC
Hell Host

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I have not been in the cafe for years but today I am going back in all day. As soon as Enigma logs in I will log out. But just before I do I will type "Ssshhh here he is....."

AtB Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey enigma, I was part of that gang of 4, I think we had just reached that part of the night when bed time beckoned.

If you haven't already topped yourself get in earlier.

cheers mate

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also worth pointing out the cafe is a social space not a support group - if you need I-think-I-might-OD type help you should be calling the Samaritans or seeking professional help.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This used to happen to me in the days when one didn't need to have a particular Ship login to doss in the caff. It was usually mousethief holding court, but the denizens would evaporate as soon as I (in whichever guise I entered the caff) breezed in. I think Enigma's onto something.
Anyway, he/she isn't there now, nor is anyone else, so I'll tootle up to All Saints to express my desire to commune with cafenauts.

Posts: 103 | From: -27.28985,152.838769 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to log into the cafe RIGHT NOW and boy oh boy will there be trouble if NOBODY TALKS TO ME!

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fidei, I don't think mousethief's used the cafe for several years.

[ 24. May 2012, 10:07: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
Fidei, I don't think mousethief's used the cafe for several years.

Which is why I posted
quote:
in the days when one didn't need to have a particular Ship login to doss in the caff
Whatever, far be it from me to junior host, but this topic doesn't really lend itself to rude words. Even if George Spigot didn't hang around while I finished my Portuguese Cabbage, Potato and Chorizo Soup as I clearly signalled in All Saints was my intent.

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Posts: 103 | From: -27.28985,152.838769 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
I have no idea what I may have done but it obviously must be something dreadful such that none of them might have stayed for even a minute!! So I am calling myself to hell for being - I don't know what but obviously not interesting.

Well, you've just answered your own question. Now you need to establish how boring you are on a scale of 1-10, and then work on getting to one end of the scale or the other in order to become more interesting. You'll know if you're succeeding as people will add a few seconds to the time they spend in the cafe with you before disappearing.

quote:
Just when I thought the ship might extend my family.
We're not your family. What did you have in mind, marriage, or adoption?
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anybody noticed how quiet Hell's been since Enigma started posting here?

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Molopata The Rebel:

Shhhhh!

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I said as I left, it was already 11:30pm, UK time, and my alarm goes off at 5:30am; it was time for bed! The person who went just before me had already bid their adieus - and hadn't been in the café for over a year, before last night.

The problem with people arriving at that time of night is that there are two choices: continue leaving or make conversation. At 11:30pm on a week night, it's too late to start a deep and meaningful conversation.

PS Pyx_e - you're not keeping your promise!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was 11:30pm UK time on a weekday night. And you've come to Hell to complain that people were on their way to bed and didn't stick around to make conversation?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just checking something, can't stay sorry...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

As one of the people who said hello and goodbye, let's get this straight: at 11:30pm UK time on a weekday night people chose to go bed rather than start a new conversation. And you've brought that to Hell? Ri-i-ight.

PS Pyx_e - hmmph, not going to believe anything you say in the future.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

As one of the people who said hello and goodbye, let's get this straight: at 11:30pm UK time on a weekday night people chose to go bed rather than start a new conversation. And you've brought that to Hell? Ri-i-ight.

PS Pyx_e - hmmph, not going to believe anything you say in the future.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Quiet, indeed

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

Shhhhh!
Better post again then..... how cool to be boring even in Hell!! I was a trifle offended though by the quick departures in the cafe. It was like going to a (very small) party then being left to party alone. I do take Ariel's point that I must measure myself on the boredom scale - except I'm too bored to bother. And also I am so uninteresting that I'm not interested in myself.
See it's not all about me - cos I am boring!! [Biased]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well,

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

Shhhhh!
I'd better post again then if I can clean up Hell!
I was rather offended by the quick exits in the cafe yesterday but I'm so boring that it's not worth pursuing.
To take Ariel's point - I'm not even interesting to myself so I really deserve to be here in the land of nothingness.
It's really not about me.....so unless someone wants to take this in another direction I'm happy for this excuse for a rant to be closed. Next time I'll try more vitriol.
Where can I buy that?

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
testing

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wait, we have a cafe?...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, I was supposed to be insulted when folks left the cafe just when I logged in? Silly me. I thought they had Other Things to Do™.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enigma, please pay attention…

You are not ‘in’; so subsequently whenever you are in, everyone who is ‘in’ will be out. However, those who are ‘in’ will strenuously deny that any such characterization exists, and that because you are in, you must necessarily be ‘in’ (which may or may not follow depending on who you follow). At some point in the future you may become ‘in’, although exactly why will never be made explicit, and may abruptly be followed by one no longer being in, just as inexplicably – so suddenly those who are ‘in’ will be in when you are in… and will abruptly cease to be when you no longer are.

Is that clear?

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wait, the Ship has a cafe?...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enigma, please pay attention…

You are not ‘in’; so subsequently whenever you are in, everyone who is ‘in’ will be out. However, those who are ‘in’ will strenuously deny that any such characterization exists, and that because you are in, you must necessarily be ‘in’ (which may or may not follow depending on who you follow). At some point in the future you may become ‘in’, although exactly why will never be made explicit, and may abruptly be followed by one no longer being in, just as inexplicably – so suddenly those who are ‘in’ will be in when you are in… and will abruptly cease to be when you no longer are.

Is that clear?

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fidei Defensor:
Whatever, far be it from me to junior host, but this topic doesn't really lend itself to rude words.

So what? Swearing isn't compulsory in Hell you know. And for that matter, it's not banned on any of the other boards either.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I am one of the people who said hello and goodbye.

Let's just clarify something. If you arrive in the café at 11:30pm UK time on a week day, why do the UK shipmates, who've just been saying that it's time to go, have to stay to chat to you? And why is it so offensive to you when they don't that you think it's worthy of a Hell thread?

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, no, no, you must never take it personally. I like the cafe because more often than not people you think are absolute assholes on board turn out to be quite normal and good folk...of course the reverse can be true too. But mostly it's fluff; fluff about life, fluff about tv, fluff about music and the eurovision all interspersed with a certain wit. Of course these things can get heated too and now and again people do a mass exodus because they find the topic boring, too heated or whatever and it's possible to come in just at the wrong time.

It's a little like when you're working late and you know everyone else is at the pub having a laugh, but when you get there they are all heading home because the one in the corner has being going on all night about how Angela Merkel isn't the anti-Christ and is just a very naughty woman to the point where everyone has lost the will to live - and there you are bounding in with pint in hand with the joys of spring only to have your hoped for event turn to a pile of festering shit right in front of your face. It's annoying, a tad disappointing, but it's not personal.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Quiet, indeed

I know. Listen to that echo.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, no, no, you must never take it personally. I like the cafe because more often than not people you think are absolute assholes on board turn out to be quite normal and good folk...of course the reverse can be true too. But mostly it's fluff; fluff about life, fluff about tv, fluff about music and the eurovision all interspersed with a certain wit. Of course these things can get heated too and now and again people do a mass exodus because they find the topic boring, too heated or whatever and it's possible to come in just at the wrong time.

It's a little like when you're working late and you know everyone else is at the pub having a laugh, but when you get there they are all heading home because the one in the corner has being going on all night about how Angela Merkel isn't the anti-Christ and is just a very naughty woman to the point where everyone has lost the will to live - and there you are bounding in with pint in hand with the joys of spring only to have your hoped for event turn to a pile of festering shit right in front of your face. It's annoying, a tad disappointing, but it's not personal.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Quiet, indeed

I know. Listen to that echo.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Quiet, indeed

Isn't it just? You can hear the echoes going on forever.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Quiet, indeed

Isn't it just? You can hear the echoes going on forever.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Hmm, I don't know if the repeat posts are to do with our current problems or not - but will try to delete for ease of reading.

Think ²
Hellhost

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somebody should frame this thread and hang it on a wall. It's brought a whole new dimension to Hell calls.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016