homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is your earworm today? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is your earworm today?
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A whole medley of earworms today: 'Jelly wobble, jelly wobble, jelly on a plate...., Round and round the swimming pool...., This is the way we kick our legs....., Do do do do going to the moon...., Rock rock rock your boat gently down the stream, if you see a crocodile, don't forget to SCREAM!!!'

Can you tell I decided to go swimming today at exactly the same time as the under-5s Aqua Splash?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenny Ann and Chorister - I'm not sure which one of you I feel sorrier for ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any preschool teachers out there come home with a Raffi hangover?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to poor davy Jones I have had a huge dose of "Daytime Believer" for several days now. [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I lived briefly in a house above a beach in Nunavut within smelling distance of the carcass of a butchered whale*. Even though my mucous membrances recovered, I've never heard "Baby Beluga" quite the same way again.

*I collected a few of its teeth, which have fascinated children all over the local school system. You want a couple? (Serious offer - they're a great teaching tool).

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Thankfully, when I taught preschool last month there were no Raffi songs that I remember in the curricula.

When I have had earworms lately, they have been bits of the Mass...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Thanks to poor davy Jones I have had a huge dose of "Daytime Believer" for several days now. [Tear]

I keep flashing on his concert scene from "The Brady Movie."

(Meg--PM me [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have that vile, dreadful, dumber than dirt song, "The Safety Dance" stuck in my head. Please, for the love of God, kill me now. [Eek!]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Winnow:
"I'm 'enery the eighth I am, 'enery the eight I am I am. I got married to the widow next door; she's been married seven times before, and every one was an 'enery, wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam, I'm her eighth old man I'm 'enery, 'enery the eighth I am ... {and it continues forever}!

That song was part of the two-record set,
Best of Herman's Hermits that I got for my twelfth birthday, lo these many years ago!

Today's earworm is likely Iron Man, which I heard in the car on the heavy-metal station and I used to be able to play in four loud octaves on a Korg Trinitron more than a dozen years ago when my wife taught grammar-school vocal music in a bad neighbourhood: a relative of one of her students, presumably a known gangster, broke in an stole it during her tenure there. I miss that huge electronic organ!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1950's advertising jingle "we're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be" Took photo of vegemite display yesterday.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody linked "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins on another thread. Very sweet but definitely my earworm for today.

Frankly any Mary Poppins song can turn into an earworm. I swear the Imagineers were honing the craft of auditory control on that film. [Ultra confused] Disney was poised to take over the world!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Adeodatus' Gilbert & Sullivan thread, I've got lots of lovely earworms floating in and out (especially the Judge's song from Trial by Jury).

[Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah well, someone was bound to analyse it eventually.

My present earworm is, of course, the current number one single. It's just about to break through 100 million views on youtube. Both I and Mrs passer are currently obsessed with it.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen Foster's Hard Times Come Again No More has been popping into my head recently, and seems to have taken up residence since the weekend.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passer - re 'Somebody I Used To Know', yes, it is prime earworm material, but I also have a series of thoughts in my head whenever it comes on the radio:

1)The intro sounds like a spooky reworking of 'Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?'

2)The verse reminds me of the verse of XTC's 'Senses Working Overtime'

3)In the chorus, the singer sounds like Peter Gabriel - in fact I thought that's who it was, the first time I heard it.

One day perhaps I will be able to switch all these off and just listen to the flippin' song!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Passer - re 'Somebody I Used To Know', yes, it is prime earworm material, but I also have a series of thoughts in my head whenever it comes on the radio:

1)The intro sounds like a spooky reworking of 'Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?'

Indeed it does. You know a song has become all-pervading when it gets its own Wiki page.

quote:
2)The verse reminds me of the verse of XTC's 'Senses Working Overtime'

Yep - know just what you mean there too.

quote:
3)In the chorus, the singer sounds like Peter Gabriel - in fact I thought that's who it was, the first time I heard it.

With you there also! The Australian-esque ambience of the song reminds me of a cross between Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" and Men At Work's "Land Down Under".
quote:

One day perhaps I will be able to switch all these off and just listen to the flippin' song!

Just to screw with your head a little more, watch this and marvel, if you haven't already!
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passer, I was just about to post that link! This is the first version I heard of the song, just because I'm a huge fan of a cappella music. Love the harmonies, and their beatboxer is amazing, though this isn't his showiest performance.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Give a Little Love" from Bugsy Malone, namely the bit that goes "You give a little love & it all comes back to you... La la lalalala...
*something something* everything you say & do... La la la lalala".
Not the worst song that could get stuck there but it's getting boring now!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh dear God. Dear, dear, God.

RuPaul's "Glamazon."

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frustratingly I have two lines of a Dylan song floating around as an ethereal mantra:

quote:
In death you face life with a child and a wife
Who sleep-walks through your dreams into walls

It is one of my absolute favourite Dylan songs ("No Time to Think") but as a two-liner it's a wee tad frustrating

[ 07. March 2012, 12:24: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been accompanied all day so far by Adele's Rolling in the Deep. And it's not as though I liked the song that much in the first place.

I blanme Op 1 - she plays it so much at home that I've obviously internalised it as the current soundtrack to my life! [Roll Eyes]

[ 07. March 2012, 13:17: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is perhaps the best place to note the passing of the songwriter Robert Sherman on 5 March. He and his brother Richard must surely count as patron saints of the earworm.

Not just for their memorable songs for Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks etc ...

... but for this:

It's A Small World

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This thread is perhaps the best place to note the passing of the songwriter Robert Sherman on 5 March. He and his brother Richard must surely count as patron saints of the earworm.

Not just for their memorable songs for Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks etc ...

... but for this:

It's A Small World

Thank you. You have finally dislodged Boney M's Rasputin, which had been plaguing me since Saturday. Now the cycle of earwormage can recommence!

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing the Disney Park theme here is an earworm that is not the Shermans.
Animagique

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't give bread with one fish ba-a-all. ( second set of words, scroll down.)

I first heard this a very long time ago indeed. It came unbidden to my ear tonight as I made fishcakes for dinner with some smoked salmon steak.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fatal to cook spaghetti and meatballs in my house.

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I am. Rock you like a Hurricane.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suddenly this morning this!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Suddenly this morning this!

Wodders, I am so, so sorry.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All day yesterday I had "O come, O come Emmanuel" floating through my head.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno why but the Muppets have sprung to ear:

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight

This - is - what - we - call - the - Mu - ppet - Shoooooow!

Sing along everyone! [Razz]

[Edit: potential copyright issues]

[ 11. March 2012, 06:00: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Early this morning, I had to look up a place near Northlew, on Google maps. Ever since then, I've been singing this song.

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops - just looking at TOTP2 - Heathcliff it's me Kathie - Kate Bush - I won't sleep now!! Help!! Give me another tune....please.....someone.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
... Give me another tune....please.....someone.

Oh all right then. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Hosting

Please note even ear worms may be subject to copyright

/Hosting

[ 11. March 2012, 05:55: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"America" by Killing Joke. Or is it, "Amerika"? Can't remember. Great video on youtube and I just love the song.

"How I love... America!" Sneer, sarcastic smile.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK tune to "Faith of our Fathers" - mainly because I watched a couple of episodes of "Bless Me Father" on DVD the other night.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Cotton-Eyed Joe" by the Rednex. FML.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

Brimful of Asha, by Cornershop.
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One that I actually remember - this morning I could not get rid of 'Down Under' (or whatever it is actually called) by Men At Work.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Bruckner's 'Locus Iste' has been going around in my head because Mr. C. sang it in a concert last night. I don't really mind as it is one of my favourite anthems.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, I'm taking a bath this morning (it's pertinent, I promise.) I am soaping upmy hair, knees up, and lean over, propping my elbows on my knees and holding my head.

The following lyric pops in my head "With my head in my hands I sit and cry..."

Presto. Earworm.

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

Sorry Zappa - got carried away - will try to be a good girl from now on. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
... Give me another tune....please.....someone.

Oh all right then. [Big Grin]
Thank you - love it!! I can sleep now (perhaps). [Biased]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Enigma - I was tempted to give you something awful but I won't even name some of the songs that entered my head because I'm a Nice Piglet. [Smile]

At the moment I've got the stuff we sang for Commonwealth Sunday - including I vow to thee, my country, Cwm Rhondda and Zadok the Priest.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Enigma - I was tempted to give you something awful but I won't even name some of the songs that entered my head because I'm a Nice Piglet. [Smile]

I, however, am an asshole.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My earworm today is not a song but 3 words from the Perfidious Albion thread.

'Herman the German'

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by The Beatles. I skipped it while playing Abbey Road this morning as I find it a bit creepy, but it has its' revenge!
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without back-reading, I can't recall if I've posted in this thread before.

If I haven't, the answer is the QI theme tune.

If I have, the answer is the QI theme tune again.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the tune of Frčre Jacques, a ditty for the kids to remember these stats definitions:

quote:
Mean is average, mean is average.
Mode is most, mode is most.
Median's in the middle, median's in the middle.
Range high - low, range high - low

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016