homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Good telly - in case you didn't notice (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Good telly - in case you didn't notice
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I question the worth of what I pay for TV, but every now and again I get my money-s worth.

Jonathan Meades on France - BBC4 9pm tonight.
This guy could talk on the phone book and it would be entertaining.

I also reccommend: Treasures of Chinese Porcelain

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but this year -- especially after a harrowing past year -- I've done some life tweaking, one small part of which was deciding to explore some TV shows that we've never watched before. So one weekend I got out the channel changer and DVR'd all sorts of shows simply on the basis of having heard/read positive things about them, or having seen some intriguing promo for them.

Some of it's good stuff...mostly regional cooking shows and educational shows, although I have been taping "Portlandia," a very quirky IFC comedy that I'm still wondering about.

One of our new favorites is "Pitchin' In," starring Chef Lynn Crawford, who travels around North America spotlighting various foods on a farm-to-table basis. The show itself is formulaic -- Chef Lynn arrives at a farm, "pitches in" on a variety of jobs involving raising and processing the product involved, takes a side trip to some nearby artisanal-food business, then creates a sumptuous multi-course meal starring the spotlighted food. But she seems like a fun gal -- very down-to-earth, isn't squeamish about the nastier parts of farming. It's very entertaining. And sometimes inadvertently, as in a recent episode where the discomfort of a Southern belle farm owner eating a gourmet meal next to her farm workers was almost palpable. I enjoyed that. [Two face]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hardly watched TV in my 20s but am getting into box sets now that we're at home more in the evenings. At the moment we're happily working through Mad Men and The Walking Dead (all the decent drama seems to be coming from the US at the moment).
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always watch "Dad's Army" on Saturday evenings. Also the competitions of Universities and "ordinary" older people individuals, always in other evenings. It's changed quite a lot and many things I don't be able to answer if I was in it [Big Grin]

The times also at lunch-time, when competitors are buying and then selling things, always two groups, red and blue they wear, are IMO fun to watch.

What a bout this year, we have to get our TVs updated? I hope I can do that for mine, not a new one...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darkwing
Shipmate
# 16207

- Posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I live in a university-owned apartment, I don't get cable (or any TV at all). However, my Xbox has become a de facto Netflix machine, so my friends and I have been watching 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Sherlock, etc. Anything not on Netflix I can probably find on Hulu or something and stream through my laptop to the TV.

--------------------
"Science was my most favorite subject, especially the Old Testament!"
- Kenneth, 30 Rock

Posts: 161 | From: NW Oregon, USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drama: Sherlock, Doctor Who, Being Human (although I'm awaiting the new series with some trepidation)

Factual: anything Jim Al-Khalili does for BBC4 (science shows that trust their audience to have a brain) - unfortunately, Horizon on BBC2 watered him down a bit, but he was still good...
Also: Human Planet,

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
Being Human (although I'm awaiting the new series with some trepidation)

BBC's doing another season??!!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm eagerly awaiting Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network. Somehow I think Bobby Flay and his team is going to do better against Ann Burrell and hers than Beau MacMillan or Robert Irvine did in the last two seasons. These poor, helpless, kitchen meatheads need someone both firm and upbeat. Ann is both, like a good second grade teacher. Beau was neither. Robert was a little more cheerful but lost patience in the final round. I think Bobby will treat the whole thing as a lark and yet keep all his kitchen toddlers on track.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best things on telly: Sherlock, by a mile, and Downton Abbey, though the second series wasn't as good as the first. Countryfile is still good - I like the "Adam's Farm" slot.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
What a bout this year, we have to get our TVs updated? I hope I can do that for mine, not a new one...

If you have a Scart socket you should be able to connect a Freeview set top box. Reception isn't always as good as analogue, though, or so I've found.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Never watched it, but they are talking about the new series on the BBC breakfast show this morning.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I've missed those guys. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Starting this Sunday, sans Mitchell (Aidan Turner filming the Hobbit), George (Russel Tovey embarking on a grand career) and Nina (not sure why)...
So there will be Annie with two new housemates. If Toby Whitehouse can pull that off, I'll be very impressed.
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hqlc4 )

[ 03. February 2012, 23:08: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
These poor, helpless, kitchen meatheads need someone both firm and upbeat. Ann is both, like a good second grade teacher.
We love Ann Burell at our house! "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" is another good how-to show of hers.

DP isn't usually keen on history TV shows, but one of my favorite series (DVR'd for when she's taking a nap;-)) is PBS's "The American Experience." I've often thought that, instead of exporting "Bay Watch" and Lord knows what other stupid American programming, we should be exporting "The American Experience" all around the world so that people get a true understanding of America's cultural DNA.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC Canada has just shown a sitcom called In with the Flynns which I reckon was a distinct improvement on most of the dross they've been churning out recently in the name of comedy. Although set very firmly in the present, it had a nice old-fashioned family sitcom feel about it - the sort of thing Auntie Beeb does so well.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Starting this Sunday, sans Mitchell (Aidan Turner filming the Hobbit), George (Russel Tovey embarking on a grand career) and Nina (not sure why)...
So there will be Annie with two new housemates. If Toby Whitehouse can pull that off, I'll be very impressed.
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hqlc4 )

(No offense Aiden, but I already grieved over Mitchell ) George! BAWWW!
[Waterworks]

I know I am probably well in the minority on this one, but I couldn't even look at Turner when Tovey was on screen. Alvisimo thinks I'm insane.

And I guess I can see the sense of Nina's plotline dissolving without George, but still, BAWWW! [Waterworks] (I loved Nina. LOVED HER.)

I hope they at least get a couple eps to go out in a blaze of glory.

[codefix]

[ 14. February 2012, 11:02: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------

Chas of the Dicker
Apprentice
# 12769

- Posted      Profile for Chas of the Dicker   Email Chas of the Dicker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call the Midwives is a better than average BBC Sunday evening nostalgia fest. But please let there be another series of Rev....

--------------------
Chas of Blacklands
If you know exactly what you are going to do, why do it? (Picasso)

Posts: 35 | From: Hastings, East Sussex, UK | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW what's up with BBC America? It's sems like all they're showing these days is "Battlestar Galactica" reruns.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be worse: the screen before me is currently showing Neil Diamond in a crotch-hoicking red satin jumpsuit singing 'Play Me'.

Just cautiously spread my fingers to see it's now Elton John and Kiki Dee.

(It's some sort of Valentine's Day pop necromancy thingie).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roger and Val have just returned. This is not everyones cup of tea, but is very brave and clever drama.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hooked on "Alcatraz". Basic JJ Abrams mystery within a mystery stuff. Fills my "Lost" shaped hole and my need for weird TV shows. Plus, Jorge Garcia!!

(Edit: spelling)

[ 14. February 2012, 21:05: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baka: A Cry from the Rainforest

How one small tribe is being squeezed by conservation and economic development, and the introduction of alcohol ... how being shown the film of them 25 years previously helps them to seek the old ways.
I found it touching.

"Phil Agland revisits the Baka people he filmed 25 years previously in Cameroon, west Africa, to explore how life has changed for the new generation. The families are shown the original documentary for the first time, which prompts them to undertake a journey deep into the forest to rediscover how their forebears lived. The programme reveals how the communities are caught between their traditional existences and an outside world that shuns them. Phil is also reunited with Camera, who was born during the making of the first film, and her brother Ali, both of whom now have children themselves."
(TV Guide)
(The original documentary was screened later))

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

...it's now Elton John and Kiki Dee.

We saw them both on our first big date in 1975: the Rock of the Westies tour at our university basketball court and concert venue. Billie Jean King the tennis player was also there for the song about the Philadelphia Freedoms... I still have the shirt!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Roger and Val have just returned. This is not everyones cup of tea, but is very brave and clever drama.

Yep. Not sure yet if it's as good as the first series but it's still very good. I particularly enjoyed Val's box interview aid!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a while to get into Roger and Val series one, so I am prepared to give it a little more time. The revelations about their lost child in series 1 were so brilliantly done. And once you realised this, it all made sense.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Ok, that qualifies this series of R&VHJGI as being awesome.

As a concept, it is so clever. telling a story around that important half hour between home and work. And it works, because it is written so well.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a series starting tonight on BBC4, called Catholics, 9-10pm, looking at various groups of Roman Catholic people in Britain today. Episode 1 is about 'Priests', Episode 2 about 'Children', and they're not letting on what Episode 3 is about yet.

Sounds like it might be worth watching.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm .... I think 'Pramface' on BBC3 looks more like my cup of tea.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to the History of Wales series, starting on Monday on the BBC.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Best things on telly: Sherlock, by a mile, and Downton Abbey, though the second series wasn't as good as the first. Countryfile is still good - I like the "Adam's Farm" slot.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

If you have a Scart socket you should be able to connect a Freeview set top box. Reception isn't always as good as analogue, though, or so I've found.
They've just jacked up the TX power from Hannington - Meridian area is going through Digital Switchover now...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh - for good TV - go to BBC4 on a Friday night. Basically their music strands... always good.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC Canada aired the first couple of episodes of a comedy called Spy tonight. I reckon it's going to be quite good, and when I saw the credits at the end I could see why - it was produced by Jimmy Mulville and Hat Trick Productions, whose output in the 80s and 90s was beyond compare. Now why can't BBC Canada put out a bit more of their stuff? I'd much rather see re-runs of classics like Chelmsford 123 than the ubiquitous Little Britain.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am genuinely appreciative of The Good Wife these days. The first half of the first season, they were in 'case of the week' mode. Then they started to learn what they could do with their characters, and it's developed into a show that is frequently full of rich cross-currents where the legal, personal and political all collide with each other.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hope they at least get a couple eps to go out in a blaze of glory.

George and Nina. [Tear]

So what do we think so far?

[ 25. February 2012, 23:33: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was quite shocked that we lost *both* George and Nina. I watched the first ep but didn't bother after that, though I might catch up on iPlayer.

It's lost its way, I think. There were shades of John Connor in the baby Messiah storyline, but having Mr Weasley - sorry, Mark Williams - in the cast just shattered the whole thing for me. And then killing off new characters in the same ep as they were introduced.... it was all too much too soon. Tom the werewolf has grown on me as a character, but losing George and Nina so soon after losing Mitchell [Waterworks] was the last straw.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Episodes two and three have been upbeat. For Being Human, that is. I've even been giggling in a slightly nervous sort of way.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

I'm not too sure about the baby-messiah plotline.
It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts? I remember back then we were told it was the faith that counts not the symbol.

Still lots of detail to enjoy, and I like it that they allow Annie to grieve, at least a little bit.
I do like Hal - a worthy successor to Mitchell, not just a replacement - and like Pine Marten, I am beginning to warm to Tom.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

Yes. Although I think the original idea of the show went out the window as soon as they introduced Herrick.

quote:
I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts?
True. Bad Being Human.

quote:
I do like Hal - a worthy successor to Mitchell, not just a replacement - and like Pine Marten, I am beginning to warm to Tom.
They're a fun double act.

--------------------

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

Butterflies, bees and blooms so impressed me I wrote to my local council. It sems so obvious for social, ecological and financial reasons to create meadows instead of plain grass that needs to be mown or identikit bedding plants.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Melvin Bragg on social class in Britain was good.

The programme on boy bands was entertaining.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
...It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

Yes. Although I think the original idea of the show went out the window as soon as they introduced Herrick.
Herrick worked for me as a threat to the set-up, but they keep trying to increase the threat, and it's got a bit out of hand, imho. [Frown]

On the non-fiction side, good telly recently has been series 2 of The Lost Kindoms of Africa (more please!), which is still on iplayer, and I am fresh from enjoying Empire (not Absoluetly Awesome, but solid good value - if you like Jeremy Paxman).

[codefix]

[ 28. February 2012, 09:26: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Melvyn Bragg was very predictable. I could have watched only the first few minutes and not missed much.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be watching Big Fat Gypsy Weddings at 9.00 then Prisoners' Wives, also on at 9.00 but available on iplayer a bit later. If I hadn't already seen the first in the new series of Benidorm I'd be watching the repeat of that too - love it.

[ 28. February 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Melvyn Bragg was very predictable. I could have watched only the first few minutes and not missed much.
Slightly disappointing I thought. But he is always good value. He didn't make too much of it, but I get the impression that he believes the myth that the grammar schools were a great social leveller, rather than just giving a leg-up to a very few exceptionally talented working class children like himself.

Did anybody see the fascinating programme with David Hockney and Andrew Marr last night? He (Hockney) is so unpompous and matter-of-fact about his art while showing how deeply he sees beauty in ordinary things and places. A good Lenten meditation.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a new program on our "Velocity Channel" called Renaissance Man. It is presented by motoring historian and journalist Alan de Cadenet. He spent this evening riding old motorcycles such as a Brough Superior at Brooklands. He also visited a company which has successfully replicated the Manx Norton and added 20% more horsepower with a bespoke engine. He dealt with racing cars last week.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts? I remember back then we were told it was the faith that counts not the symbol.

Still lots of detail to enjoy, and I like it that they allow Annie to grieve, at least a little bit.

Agreed about Superbaby. Oy.

I wondered about the crucifixes as well- maybe he had a lot of different religious emblems in there, and the crucifixes were just the prominent ones.

Still and all, Russel Tovey had me choked up three minutes into the show. And the tribute to off screen Nina was well done. And Lenora Critchlow is just-- wow. She never fails to surprise me with her authenticity, and her ability to convey simultaneous vulnerability and kickass.

As you say, though, I wish they would just trust the power of the theme of "being human" and stop with the meta-nonsense. Vampires don't have to take over the world to be plenty scary.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've just caught up on iPlayer with the eps I missed - phew! I'm enjoying it again. I wept with Tom on his birthday and nearly fainted when Annie 'died'. Maybe too many new characters all at once but it'll be interesting to see where it goes now.

Tom & Hal running a cafe were fun.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also enjoyed Call the Midwife and now that Upstairs Downstairs has returned, that's more than made me happy on a Sunday.(with A.R. who could ask for more?!)

Also (my other half would call this trashy tv) do like watching One Born Every Minute and Daddy Day Care. Oh, and Operation Hospital with James Martin was quite good, if a little repetitive.

In the more classic documentary department, I've watched the first of three of the Diamond Queen, and also Empire with Jeremy Paxman. I've heard good things about the last Horizon programme, but that might put my exercise programme to pot!

If you want a good two hour historical documentary, I can thoroughly recommend Bomber Boys with Ewan McGregor. Don't know if that's still on the iplayer, but I certainly found it fascinating.

I have a nasty feeling that I too will be watching Big Fat Gypsy Wedding as well... [Eek!] Need I say more...!

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else watching Pramface?
A good giggle and a nice warning for my teenage son [Snigger]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pramface - yes. Enjoyed the first one; missed the second one. Will try to catch up over weekend - thanks for reminding me.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a pity that The Story of Wales is only on BBC Wales - the first episode was very good indeed, starting with one of my favourites, the Red Lady of Paviland (actually a man!) and including some archaeological sites I'd never heard of, like the Walton Basin, where thousands of trees were used to make a huge enclosure.
Next episode - the Middle Ages - which I know rather more about!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016