homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thomas & Friends - A Thread for those into Training (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thomas & Friends - A Thread for those into Training
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently you can now walk to Othello

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yam-uk:
On another tangent, but connected to cross border/channel routes this notion here of a bridge or tunnel link between the Ireland and Britain looks interesting. It was obviously thought about in the late Victorian era as well.

They would have hit a major problem with that one. Irish standard gauge is 5'3" some 6.5" wider than Britain. The extra width in Ireland did lead to some rather wide carrages in the 1950s. I seem to recall one batch of Park Royals was 10'3" wide.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do stations get named in alphabetical order or after Shakespeare characters because the line is being built through country that hasn't got anyone living in it already, so that there aren't even any farms or natural features that have names already? That was never the case in the British Isles. Is this really putting a station at each crossing loop in hope rather than actuality?

And did these towns, each on the same side of the line, actually develop and flourish where the railway wanted them to irrespective of geography?

I was once in a train that stopped at a station to cross a train coming the other way, in a great expanse of flat country in South Africa. It had a name. I can't remember what it was. There was no settlement visible to the horizon. So if that had been the intention, it hadn't worked.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Do stations get named in alphabetical order or after Shakespeare characters because the line is being built through country that hasn't got anyone living in it already, so that there aren't even any farms or natural features that have names already? That was never the case in the British Isles.

I'm sure there must have been some stations in Britain which were built at remote block posts or crossing places with the aim of "opening up" the surrounding area. And I'm sure some of these had invented namers - I just can't think of any!

One interesting British name was "Twenty" on the old Midland & Great Northern, named after the adjacent twenty-foot drainage ditch. The drain clearly came long before the railway but I'm not sure that there was any proper village until the station opened.

I suspect that some of the Underground names as the system was expanded in the 1920s were invented ones - e.g. Kingsbury and Queensbury.

[ 20. March 2012, 09:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hassocks on the Brighton line was a station to serve a (non-existent, at the time of opening) new housing development , and was given that name because the tufts of grass in the fields looked like church kneeling mats. Or so I was led to believe.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem in Canada (and, I assume, the US) was that there had to be a telegraph station, capable of passing the written orders up to the traincrew, at every passing loop, regardless of whether there was a town or not. Thus, some stations were located in places where there would clearly never be a town at all.

If you look at the CN main line across northern Ontario, there are hardly any actual towns all the way from Capreol, near Sudbury to Winnipeg.

Capreol to Armstrong is just about 540 miles. During the steam/telegraph era, there were 67 named stations. But radio got rid of the need for telegraph and written orders, and diesels don't need coal and water every 60 miles or so. I doubt there are more than 10 named places that have a significant population along that line now. Some of the old stations were more like lighthouses, containing the only person who lived within 10 miles either way.

And the same applied across the Prairie lines. The stations weren't needed once people had cars and the traincrews had radio, and the grain elevators were replaced with large centralised operations once the farmers had trucks that could go 30 or 40 miles. So the towns disppeared along with the stations.

Changing technology causes changes.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Hassocks on the Brighton line was a station to serve a (non-existent, at the time of opening) new housing development , and was given that name because the tufts of grass in the fields looked like church kneeling mats. Or so I was led to believe.

It might even be true.

My brother-in-law used to call tht part of the world Mega-Villiage One. Hassocks actually joins on to its neighbouring "villages" like Keymer and Ditchling and Hurstpierpoint to make a sort of continuous strip development just north of and paralel to the scarp of the South Downs.

And that more-or-less joins on to Burgess Hill (another railway development) to the immediate north, aznd to places like Wivelsfield and the outlying villages along the railway line towards Lewes.

And they almost join on the Haward's Heath and Cuckfield to their north.

If you stand on Ditchling Beacon before sunset and look out over the Weald - it is a wonderful place to stand and look out at any time of day or night! - it is almost like looking over a forest. The landscape is heavily wooded, it is one of the most heavily treed parts of England. It is also the part with the greatest variety of wildlife.

But as night falls an the lights come on you start to see that it is inhabited. And quite thickly inhabited. You are looking at the homes of about 80,000 people in a few square miles. A population density greater than some places that consider themsleves to be suburbs or even cities. The trees are suddenly full of lights.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The trees are suddenly full of lights.

I don't recall a branch line into Lothlorien in your fresh findings in the Red Book appendices... [Confused]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which I suppose would be known as the flet line...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Strangely Warmed
Apprentice
# 13188

- Posted      Profile for Strangely Warmed   Email Strangely Warmed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do stations get named in alphabetical order or after Shakespeare characters because the line is being built through country that hasn't got anyone living in it already, so that there aren't even any farms or natural features that have names already?
More accurately, the lines were built through areas that didn't have any white people living in them. Colonial railways were built through territories that belonged to well-established, well-organized and sophisticated (although non-technical) cultures and nations. There were many, many already-existing places names--they just happened to be in a language that the railway builders did not care to learn. Railway builders and the settlers they brought liked to flatter themselves that they were opening up virgin territory, but the original inhabitants had, and their descendents still have, a very different point of view.

In some cases, to be fair, local native names (or Anglicized versions of them) were adopted--but the vast majority of station names derive from settler rather than aboriginal culture.

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Do stations get named in alphabetical order or after Shakespeare characters because the line is being built through country that hasn't got anyone living in it already, so that there aren't even any farms or natural features that have names already? That was never the case in the British Isles.

I'm sure there must have been some stations in Britain which were built at remote block posts or crossing places with the aim of "opening up" the surrounding area. And I'm sure some of these had invented namers - I just can't think of any!

One interesting British name was "Twenty" on the old Midland & Great Northern, named after the adjacent twenty-foot drainage ditch. The drain clearly came long before the railway but I'm not sure that there was any proper village until the station opened.

I suspect that some of the Underground names as the system was expanded in the 1920s were invented ones - e.g. Kingsbury and Queensbury.

The next station along the line was called 'Counter Drain' after another such ditch. A tangent, but the naming of such drainage channels in the Fens has always seemed puzzling - there are 'Sixteen Foot', 'Twenty Foot', 'Forty Foot' and 'Hundred Foot' drains. The figures don't relate to width, depth - and certainly not length. So what do they mean, if anything?

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

There were quite a few stations named with "native-sounding" names, and some may even have been of native origin. Petitcodiac, for instance, is named for the river that runs through it, and that name is identifiably connecteed (if not exactly!) to the indigenous name for that river. Apohaqui (obviously pronounced Apa-hawk) is "probably" a Malecit word

But other stations along that line have names such as Plumweseep, Nauwigewauk and Penobsquis which have little resemblance to indigenous words beyond a "feel-good" sound.

Nova Scotia did it a bit better, with quite a few place names being identifiably of native origin, even if the pronunciation is difficult for Imperialists. Musquodoboit, Shubenacadie, Ecum Secum, Tatamagouche, Whycocomagh.. the most ineteresting translation is Stewiacke, which apparently means "whimpering or whining as it goes" when traced back to its origin.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

Hassocks is one of my favourite station names. I have the pleasure of passing it on my commute to college.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could I impose a tangent...in the direction of the OP...

With loose-coupled goods waggons, I can see the need for a brake van. But if running the brake continuously (on a long down grade, or to keep couplings tight and avoid snatch) I would have thought a friction brake would overheat and fade. Did anyone use viscous (fluid) brakes for this kind of thing, rather like in a dyno...no good at pulling you to a stop, but very good at imposing a steady retardation force...? Or even electrical-regenerative braking, which could be arranged to dump current into a big 'electric fire' and keep the brake van nice and warm...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
But if running the brake continuously (on a long down grade, or to keep couplings tight and avoid snatch) I would have thought a friction brake would overheat and fade.

It would indeed, but in the UK inclines that are steep enough to require pinning down the brakes on unfitted wagons tend not to be longer than a mile or two. It's not the sort of thing that was done for any old downhill slope.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when we rode the Mount Washington cog railway, we were told that on the way up the fireman did all the work, and on the way down the brakeman did. I don't know what kind of brakes they had.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
the Mount Washington cog railway ... I don't know what kind of brakes they had.

Very good ones!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent again, but to share my fascination with Genoa in Italy where I am for the rest of this month. FS (national railway) trains (chiefly the coastal mainline) run through the city which is 20-30 km long from northwest to southeast, to give the local service. Two funicular railways and a rack railway (this currently undergoing restoration) provide a commuter service into the hilly suburbs. A narrow-gauge line runs inland through the mountains to the sleepy town of Casella: this is the sort of line which in the UK would be run by enthusiasts on their days off from being vicars or insurance salesmen, have several vintage steam locomotives for motive power, and charge 'fares' in line with admission prices to Disneyland as befits a tourist attraction; here it is run by the local metropolitan transport authority with (some vintage, other more modern) electric rolling stock and maximum fares not much more than double the 1.50 euro local bus fare.

But the most exotic thing IMHO is the lift from Via Balbi (near one of the main stations) to the Castello d'Albertis. You enter a cabin which looks rather like a waiting room; then after a warning signal the doors close and the cabin takes off along a horizontal track through an approx. 1km tunnel, shunts into a siding and immediately ascends vertically having transformed itself into a conventional lift. It must be even more surprising to do the journey in reverse because you would have no inkling that it would be other than 'normal'. There are several other public lifts which link the lower city to the suburban heights, but none AFAIK quite so unusual.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you stand on Ditchling Beacon before sunset and look out over the Weald - it is a wonderful place to stand and look out at any time of day or night! - it is almost like looking over a forest. The landscape is heavily wooded, it is one of the most heavily treed parts of England. It is also the part with the greatest variety of wildlife.

But as night falls an the lights come on you start to see that it is inhabited. And quite thickly inhabited. You are looking at the homes of about 80,000 people in a few square miles. A population density greater than some places that consider themsleves to be suburbs or even cities. The trees are suddenly full of lights.

Ah! I grew up in Hurstpierpoint and Burgess Hill, and this captures that part of the world beatifully. Dismal hellholes for a teenager growing up, until you're on the Downs looking down at them.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
. A tangent, but the naming of such drainage channels in the Fens has always seemed puzzling - there are 'Sixteen Foot', 'Twenty Foot', 'Forty Foot' and 'Hundred Foot' drains. The figures don't relate to width, depth - and certainly not length. So what do they mean, if anything?

I think its to do with the difference in height between one end and the other. But I'm not sure. There aren't many places in the flat fens that are a hundred feet aboive sea-level. Wikipedia thinks that the New Bedford River was called the hundred-foot drain because of its width. That doesn't apply to the forty-foot and sixteen-foot though. Maybe some are fall and some are width!

--------------------
Ken

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I remember when we rode the Mount Washington cog railway, we were told that on the way up the fireman did all the work, and on the way down the brakeman did. I don't know what kind of brakes they had.

Moo

I don't know whether this is true of the Mount Washington locomotives, but those used on Snowdon (and, I would infer, others of similar vintage built by the works in Winterthur) use their cylinders as brakes on the descent. The driver admits air to the cylinders via, I would assume, a breather valve, with the motion set in reverse. This has the effect of turning the cylinders into air compressors. To counteract the heat build-up that this causes, a thin dribble of water is also admitted at the same time, which is what leads to the characteristic plume of steam that can be seen coming from the centre of the cab frontplate on any descending Snowdon steam locomotive. The ruling gradient on Snowdon is 1 in 5 (in old money, 20% for those more modern types) so the line climbs on a rack rail (Abt system). There are also brake drums on either side of the two cog wheels on the locomotives' driving axles using pairs of shoes on a clasp system. These can be operated by the loco crew or by an automatic governer system that puts the brakes on if speed exceeds 5 mph. I believe that the clasp brakes can be operated by a hand screw or by a steam cylinder. You might note that the running wheels are not actually fixed to the axles on these locomotives - they run in collars that maintain them true to gauge, but allow them to rotate at a different speed from the cogs. The wheels are strictly idlers.

I would guess that the Mount Washington locos use something similar.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
. A tangent, but the naming of such drainage channels in the Fens has always seemed puzzling - there are 'Sixteen Foot', 'Twenty Foot', 'Forty Foot' and 'Hundred Foot' drains. The figures don't relate to width, depth - and certainly not length. So what do they mean, if anything?

I think its to do with the difference in height between one end and the other. But I'm not sure. There aren't many places in the flat fens that are a hundred feet aboive sea-level. Wikipedia thinks that the New Bedford River was called the hundred-foot drain because of its width. That doesn't apply to the forty-foot and sixteen-foot though. Maybe some are fall and some are width!
There aren't all that many places in the fens that are above sea level full stop, let alone 100' above. The New Bedford is widish, but it certainly isn't the length of three buses and more wide. Wikipedia indulging in a spot of folk etymology here, I suspect.

Where the Twenty Foot (the one in the Isle of Ely, not the one in Lincs which once had a railway station) crosses Whittlesey Dyke there is what must be a pretty unusual feature, viz. a 'crossrivers'.

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Re: regenerative force on long downgrades: just about every mainline locomotive in Canada and the US has the ability to switch the electric motors that actually turn the wheels into generators. The energy thus developed is exhausted as waste heat through electrical resistances in a bank of radiators along the roof, hence the extra set of radiator grids that you would not expect to see on European diesels.

This is usually referred to as "dynamic braking", since it is not actually generating the elctricity as anything but a mover for waste heat.

In the (very few) cases where there are electric locomotives, the same thing is called "regenerative braking", because it actually pumps useful electricity back into the wires.

AFAICT, there are no locomotives running in Canada or the US that have any transmission other than electrical, with the possible exception of very small industrial-branch units, or, the Brandt RoadRailer used by short-line operators for loadings that are small by American standards. See also Southern Rails Co-operative . The truck can operate on public roads, but there are extra carrying wheels, including two sets of mini flanged wheels on hydraulic lifters, that allow it to operate on standard track. I don't much like the fron bumper, but the chances of a head-on collision are pretty small on most Prairie roads!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
There were quite a few stations named with "native-sounding" names, and some may even have been of native origin. Petitcodiac, for instance, is named for the river that runs through it, and that name is identifiably connecteed (if not exactly!) to the indigenous name for that river. Apohaqui (obviously pronounced Apa-hawk) is "probably" a Malecit word

But other stations along that line have names such as Plumweseep, Nauwigewauk and Penobsquis which have little resemblance to indigenous words beyond a "feel-good" sound.

Nova Scotia did it a bit better, with quite a few place names being identifiably of native origin, even if the pronunciation is difficult for Imperialists. Musquodoboit, Shubenacadie, Ecum Secum, Tatamagouche, Whycocomagh.. the most ineteresting translation is Stewiacke, which apparently means "whimpering or whining as it goes" when traced back to its origin.

Mississauga, the largest suburb in Canada is an Ojibwa name, in fact it's the local sub-nation that controlled the area before settlement*. Ma Preacher had an Ojibwa congregation and the entrance sign on the reserve said "Welcome to the Great Mississauga Nation!", despite the fact that we were three hours from Toronto.

On the subject of trains, Peterborough has a delightful mix of railways and canals. The Cobourg & Peterborough Railway was built on a three mile wooden causeway over Rice Lake in 1854. The causeway caused massive ice dams to form behind it and by 1861 the causeway was destroyed by the ice.

You can still see the remains of the causeway today and the Trent Canal, which passed through it, has it marked as a navigation hazard.

*The treaty history of Toronto and south-central Ontario is exceedingly complex.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
On the subject of trains, Peterborough has a delightful mix of railways and canals.

Ooh, like Three Bridges?

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the one on other side of the Pond.

The CPR Swing Bridge is downriver of the Liftlock, though within sight of it. The Liftlock sits in the middle of an artificial cut between Nassau Mills and Little Lake, where Lock 20 sits.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Dynamic Braking usually provides 70% of the braking force, the air brakes ("the Westinghouse") provide the remaining 30%, especially at low speeds.

The only line that uses regenerative braking per se is Amtrak's North East Corridor between Boston and Washington, which is electrified.

The Milwaukee Road's Pacific Extension was electrified through the Rockies in Idaho and Montana. The power source was local hydro dams. The Box Cabs and Little Joes, the two types of locomotives in use, famously used regenerative braking and thus a train going downgrade was said to be lifting another train up-grade.

The Milwaukee Road abandoned the Pacific Extension in 1980 and the rails have been lifted.

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw these today, bifurcating viaducts near Chapel-en-le- Frith in the High Peak (Derbyshire), in case anyone is interested.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's another line behind the photographer, and where it joins the line on the right of the picture, there used to be a large station with several platforms.

About twenty miles south of the photo on the same line, at a place called Ambergate, there used to be a three sided station (6 platforms) largely perched up in the air. You can still pick out where it was fairly easily, but far too much of it has been removed now. The passenger bit is now just a bus shelter on one side, whereas there used to be wooden buildings hanging off the side of the embankments and bridges.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fascinating! It's on Wiki, and there are links to pics on that page!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was also Queensbury station in Yorkshire - close to the Keighley & Worth Valley of "Railway Children" fame. Very little remains today.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Triangular stations: Earlestown on the Liverpool and Manchester line serving the branch for Warrington/West Coast main line. Shipley just outside Bradford, on the Leeds-Bradford Forster Square/Skipton-Bradford F S/Skipton-Leeds lines. It's only in recent years that platforms were added on the latter line, and the Skipton-Bradford line was singled through the station. So it went from being a four-platform station to a five-platform one.

I think there was also Mangotsfield near Bristol but I don't know if that survives in any form.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I wasn't in the area in steam days. But Mangotsfield station is on the Bristol to Bath cycle track as a picturesque ruin. I don't think though that there were platforms on the Bath-Gloucester arc.

--------------------

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
I wasn't in the area in steam days. But Mangotsfield station is on the Bristol to Bath cycle track as a picturesque ruin. I don't think though that there were platforms on the Bath-Gloucester arc.

Mangotsfield station had platforms on the Bristol-Gloucester and Bristol-Bath lines. Typically M.R. with glazed canopies. No platforms on the Bath/Gloucester chord which was some way to the east. Trains on the Bristol-Bath line were pretty predictable, so the better vantage point was the bank just north of the junction of the Gloucester lines. On a summer Saturday afternoon c.1960 you would have seen a succession of various LMS 4-6-0s on holiday trains for the West Country, or, like the 'Pines', for Bournemouth. Once the unusual sight of a B1 which must have carried on with a train from the north east when a replacement failed.

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

The Milwaukee Road's Pacific Extension was electrified through the Rockies in Idaho and Montana. The power source was local hydro dams. The Box Cabs and Little Joes, the two types of locomotives in use, famously used regenerative braking and thus a train going downgrade was said to be lifting another train up-grade.

The Milwaukee Road abandoned the Pacific Extension in 1980 and the rails have been lifted.

SPK, is this the line where the catenary was removed in the early 70s to cash in on the high price of copper - just before the oil price hike?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Richmond, Virginia has Triple Crossing where three rail lines cross over each other with two viaducts.

Ground level is occupied by the Southern Railway System, now Norfolk Southern. The middle viaduct carries the Seaboard Air Line Railroad, now CSX Transportation. The top viaduct carries the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway line, now a second CSX Transportation line.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
I saw these today, bifurcating viaducts near Chapel-en-le- Frith in the High Peak (Derbyshire), in case anyone is interested.

The viaduct, or elevated railway, coming out of London Bridge station to the south-east bifurcates repeatedly, fanning out into something like 9 or 10 lines in a couple of miles.

Millwall football stadium is in the cleft between two of them and there are other lines passing it on the other sides so it is not possible to approach the ground without passing under a railway bridge. One path goes under about seven of them in about a quarter of a mile.

Here are some photos of that remarkably welcoming walking route [Smile]

And Lewisham station, itself built on one of those bifurcating viaducts, is now a sort of almost triangular station because of the new DLR station built underneath the main railway.

And we have some triple-decker bridges - there is one just at the bottom of my garden - the main line from London Bridge into Lewisham splits just after St John's station to send a branch over the street to bypass Lewisham Station and go straight to Ladywell, at the same point as the east-west line coming from Victoria comes in to approach Lewisham, and they cross each other and the main line. It was the site of one of Britains worst railway disasters in 1957 A train hit another and knocked it into the bridge from Nunhead, bringing it down just as another train was about to pass over it. The temporary military bridge they put up afterwards is still there - I can see it from my living room window.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

Here are some photos of that remarkably welcoming walking route [Smile]

Oh, and if you go to Millwall as an away fan and are foolish enough to take a train to Surrey Docks station rather then South Bermondsey, that really is the signposted walking route at the moment. No wonder no-one likes us.

Leeds today...

--------------------
Ken

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Millwall 0 Leeds Utd 1 [Smile]
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:

And a bigger load of cheating, diving, timewasters than LUFC you could not hope to meet. Becchio and Macwhatsisface must love the Millwall turf. They kept on kneeling down to kiss it every time a player went near them. And Becchio shoved Abdou over from behind, two-handed and deliberately, yards off the ball when the ref wasn't looking. And then did the same to Smith in the penalty area when the ref was looking. But got no response. And Leeds management seemed to be colluding in players feigning injury to break up Millwall attacks. And the mistaken-identity substitution in injury time was a farce. And I'm pretty sure deliberate. Cheats.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

And a bigger load of cheating, diving, timewasters than LUFC you could not hope to meet. Becchio and Macwhatsisface must love the Millwall turf. They kept on kneeling down to kiss it every time a player went near them. And Becchio shoved Abdou over from behind, two-handed and deliberately, yards off the ball when the ref wasn't looking. And then did the same to Smith in the penalty area when the ref was looking. But got no response. And Leeds management seemed to be colluding in players feigning injury to break up Millwall attacks. And the mistaken-identity substitution in injury time was a farce. And I'm pretty sure deliberate. Cheats.

--------------------
Ken

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

We seem to have moved into a rather different definition of "training" here ...

We need the Fat Controller to instil some order.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Very mild hostly eyeroll]

I think the Circus has places for games and their discussions!

[/Very mild hostly eyeroll]

jedijudy...who knows what a train looks like and that's about all

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

???????

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

???????
In other words, what does this mean and what does it have to do with trains? Please?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

???????
In other words, what does this mean and what does it have to do with trains? Please?
It is the score in a football (soccer) match. And it has nothing to do with trains. As a Host has already pointed out.

So this tangent hits the buffers here.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Firenze - that makes sense of jedijudy's post. Soccer here is primarily a game for children.

[ 29. March 2012, 08:37: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should probably out myself as the current developer for the UK Train Times iPhone app. While before I got my job here I'd travelled on trains a fair amount but never known much more about them, over the last year my geeky interest level has increased significantly, mainly in the field of timetables and ticketing (since that's the bit you have to know about when making such an app). It's somewhat a matter of pride that I now know how to use the National Routeing Guide (no, I haven't spelt it wrong).

If you are unacquainted with the Routeing Guide, it is a scarily complicated document that lets you find out which routes you can travel on for a given ticket. It's also confusing and somewhat ambiguous. Take a look at the Amazing Routeing Question for an example!

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
I should probably out myself as the current developer for the UK Train Times iPhone app.

[Overused]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
Take a look at the Amazing Routeing Question for an example!

Can I out myself as a total geek by saying that the first time I cam across Clive Feather in an online social networking forum was probably the 1980s?

And that, while I have never done anything quite as manic as trying to go from London to Inverness on a Carlisle ticket, only a month ago, in this very year of 2012, I used the return portion of a London to Edinburgh return to travel from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street - which required me to explain what I was doing to about three railway staff - and then I used the same ticket to get on a Glasgow Central to Birmingham New Street train, which I got off at Preston [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016