homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Music that makes you cry (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Music that makes you cry
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hardly profound but 'The Best Is Yet To Come' by Clifford T Ward always affects me. He really had a gift for heartbreaking songs (YMMV).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were playing a best of Nina Simone album in the car heading away for Easter and I kept finding myself on the point of bursting into tears. I don't normally cry over music at all.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second "Oh Love that will (wilt?) not let me go"

The slow (2nd?) mov of the Bach double violin concerto has been having that effect on me since Christmas - achingly beautiful

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

All of the other music that people find depressing actually makes me feel better when I am depressed.

Leonard Cohen does that for me - makes me feel so good when I am down. Especially his Songs of Love and Hate.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arnhem Boy
Apprentice
# 16487

- Posted      Profile for Arnhem Boy   Email Arnhem Boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be "Dance Me to the End of Love" - who else but Leonard Cohen. Especially the clip with the older couples dancing...

--------------------
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
We were playing a best of Nina Simone album in the car heading away for Easter and I kept finding myself on the point of bursting into tears. I don't normally cry over music at all.

She does it to me, too - it is that amazing smoky voice!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

I have a song to sing, O from The Yeomen of the Guard

I haven't thought about that song for years, but yes, it would bring a tear to my eye too.

Danny Boy, if it's well sung.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Danny Boy

Oh. Hell. Yes.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mercy Now is my current tear jerker.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ella singing Every Time We Say Goodbye - floors me every time!

Im Abendtrot [spelling?] by Richard Strauss - my favourite version is by Jessye Norman.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This song by Bif Naked about child abuse: Tell on You.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is a song I only associate with funerals these days so I suppose that doesn't really count for me. No music really makes me cry but Allegri's Miserere raises a lump in the throat and the Allegretto from Beethoven's 7th makes my spine tingle.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Im Abendtrot [spelling?] by Richard Strauss - my favourite version is by Jessye Norman.

I'm more a Gundula Janowitz man myself, though I have fond memories of seeing an entire symphony orchestra struggling to be louder than Jessye Norman in a performance of Beethoven's 9th.

And the one of the Four Last Songs that always gets me is Beim Schlafengehen. I've always been a sucker for what Denis Forman (in his Good Opera Guide) calls an RSV - "Reprehensible Solo Violin".

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This makes me cry but mainly because my late father used to sing it

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Allegri Miserere, oh yes indeed. And 'If it be your will', another wonderful piece of Leonard Cohen.

The Lachrymose Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

I'm more a Gundula Janowitz man myself, though I have fond memories of seeing an entire symphony orchestra struggling to be louder than Jessye Norman in a performance of Beethoven's 9th...
My dad was a Janowitz fan and I inherited his copy when he died so I have the best of both worlds.

Jessye Norman was a BIG star in every sense of the word!

--------------------

Mary Marriott
Apprentice
# 16938

- Posted      Profile for Mary Marriott   Email Mary Marriott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
Only This song. It was sung at my Father's, my sister's, and my grandmother's funerals. I can't listen to it at all nowadays, but it used to be my favorite gospel song.

Thank you for this. I did nt know the tune, but it is taking root. Wonderful psalm

--------------------
'We have to be ready to move forward' she said. 'Maybe this is not how we are meant to be for ever.' (Mina in Skellig)

Posts: 32 | From: the half way house | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mary Marriott
Apprentice
# 16938

- Posted      Profile for Mary Marriott   Email Mary Marriott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'I'll second "Oh Love that will (wilt?) not let me go"

Aye Twangist, it is wilt.

A great favourite all my life. Fanny the writer, really was on to something with it. Having senior moment about her full name.

And bringer of tears. The words, the tune and my memories all in the mix together I guess.

Was her surname Crosby ?

--------------------
'We have to be ready to move forward' she said. 'Maybe this is not how we are meant to be for ever.' (Mina in Skellig)

Posts: 32 | From: the half way house | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Marriott:
'I'll second "Oh Love that will (wilt?) not let me go"

Aye Twangist, it is wilt.

A great favourite all my life. Fanny the writer, really was on to something with it. Having senior moment about her full name.

And bringer of tears. The words, the tune and my memories all in the mix together I guess.

Was her surname Crosby ?

Yes, but ... Fanny Jane Crosby was responsible for To God be the glory* inter alia. O love that wilt not let me go was written by George Matheson when Parish Minister of Innellan; the tune was composed by Albert Peace, organist of Glasgow Cathedral at the time.

* A while back a reference was made in a thread I now cannot trace to a diverting Marian parody of Fanny Crosby's hymn - does anyone remember this?

[ 13. April 2012, 20:06: Message edited by: Metapelagius ]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016