homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Music that lifts your spirits (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Music that lifts your spirits
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What music makes you feel more positive towards life?

I'll start with this (also mentioned on the Music that makes you cry thread.)

"I've been down so long, but I'm on my way up again" sung by Magic Sam in the Blues "Out of Bad Luck."

Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll.

Beatles - Good Day Sunshine.

Bach - Brandenburg Concerto 5, first movement.

---

what are yours?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots. But just 'cuz it's what came into my head when I read the thread title...

Orinoco Flow, by Enya

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My Love" by Petula Clark is one.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazel92
Apprentice
# 15538

- Posted      Profile for Hazel92     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
most jazz i find, (just cos its one of my favourite types of music)
Posts: 4 | From: north of england | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three off the top of my head:

Herbert Howells "Jubilate Collegium Regale"
Copland "Fanfare for the common man"
Bellowhead "New York Girls"

ST.

[ 03. April 2012, 15:58: Message edited by: Saviour Tortoise ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that I can't explain very well is this... On the thread I mentioned that extraordinary superhuman technique can make me squish like a baby.

So why in other cases does it make me grin like a goon? Example: Slava playing Haydn. This is 6 minutes of sheer joy.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too much to write down.

Lots of bits of Wagner's ring. Especially with loud horn calls in them. The riddle scene from Siegfried might be the best for this.

Lots and lots of ska and old dub reggae. Whose spirits would not be lifted by The Return of Django by the Upsetters? (who were actually mostly Lee Perry) King Tubby! Pablo!

The Levellers singing Lowlands of Holland. Even though its a sad song.

Almost anyone singing Hamish Henderson's Freedom come all ye

Obvious bits of Bach.

Embarrassing to say, but the Allman Brother's Jessica. Even if its now colonised by strange versions played on silly TV programmes.

Sibelius 2nd symphony

RVW Five variants on Dives and Lazarus

Hocus Pocus by Focus. (Or was it the other way round?) And Sylvia.

Steve Hillage in unserious poppy mode. (Its all too much., Not fade away)

The Joe 90 theme. (And Thunderbirds march)

Telstar

Rossini overtures.

The Millwall "No one likes us" song.

Spem in alium

Jimmy Shand (and his band). Almost anything by. Currently rather liking the Lambskinnet set and the Gaelic Waltz set. Brings a smile to the face. Honestly.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's something about music in a minor key which lifts my spirits (so Lent is my favourite time of year). At a concert today, for example, I heard John Blow's 'Salvator Mundi' and Purcell's 'Thou knowest Lord'.

Some people find that sort of music depressing, so perhaps I'm just wired up wrong.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Was that the version from the "Live at the Rainbow" album? Haven't listened to it for years but might try to dig out the tape.

Similarly bonkers - though a different kind of music - is Tonio K.'s "Merzsuite" and that always makes me smile.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll.
Yes - and the Lemon Song [Big Grin]

quote:
Jimmy Shand (and his band).
Closest I have is Richard Thompson doing 'Don't sit on my Jimmy Shand' - which is cheerful but perhaps not quite the same thing. Especially cheerful for RT.

Kids have been at the 45s this afternoon.

Blondie - Hanging on the telephone - put a big smile on everyone's face.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Undertones, 'You've got my number (why don't you use it?)'

The Buzzcocks, 'Harmony in my head'

Blondie - as mentioned ...

Welsh Male Voice Choirs - particularly 'Gwa Hoddiad' by the Treorchy Male Choir.

Any Welsh hymn in a minor key.

Bach (obviously)

Tallis - yes, Spem in Alium

Some Byzantine chant.

Lots of African music.

Ska

Much else besides ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One I can think of right now is September by Earth Wind and Fire, which is also in the soundtrack of recent French feelgood blockbuster Intouchables (run out and buy the DVD - just out - now!).

In fact I often wonder what I was doing in the late 1970s because I seem to like a lot of soul / motown music.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saviour Torotise wrote:

quote:
Copland "Fanfare for the common man"

Just looked it up on You Tube. So THAT'S what that ubiquitous piece is called. Thanks!

[ 03. April 2012, 20:09: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Man called Adam and "Easter Song", or "Estelle".

Gouryella's title track is also a really smooth and uplifting piece. In fact, pretty much everything by Ferry Corsten gives me a lift.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janacek - Glagolitic Mass

Neilsen - Symphony No 5

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra

Rautavaara - Cantus Arcticus

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The end of Mahler's 1st symphony, which doesn't only lift my spirits but has me on the edge of my seat. Listen here, from about 13:20. I want to be the triangle player in the last few bars!

And the opening of Bach's Christmas Oratorio takes some beating. (I love seeing Gardiner conducting this - he's so obviously enjoying it all.)

[ 03. April 2012, 22:00: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the dead of winter, there's nothing like California beach music to cheer up this Midwesterner.

The Beach Boys
Jan and Dean
The Rivieras (nothing like "California Sun" to say "Take that, winter!")

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're talking about music whic doesn't just make you feel good whilst listening to it, but which actually changes your mood. There are lots of these, and the mood you end up with can vary but the change has to be positive.

Here's some more that work for me.

Beethoven - 9th symphony, last movement.

Bach - Jesu joy of man's desiring.

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries.

Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

Carpenters - Goodbye to love, for the way it starts as a sad ballad, building to a rock guitar solo at the end, taking your emotions with it, ending with a stupid grin on your face. Or is that just me?

Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine.

Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like you. "I feel wo ho woo." In fact just thinking about Bohemian Like you works without listening to the music.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

While I am decidedly not a "hippie trail" sorta person(I have little interest in Buddhism etc, and can't imagine a more unpleasant holiday than backpacking around SE Asia), the imagery and overall feel of The Road To Shamballa usually gets my spirits up.

The song was put to rather odd use in the opening scenes of the movie Drowning Mona, a raunchy black comedy which had nothing to do with any of the things alluded to in the lyrics.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'What's the frequency, Kenneth?' - REM

'The Creation' - Haydn

'Sledgehammer' and 'Big Time' - Peter Gabriel

'Dream of Gerontius', specifically the Demons' Chorus and the run up to and including the full 'Praise to the Holiest' moment - Elgar

Film Score from 'Henry V' - Walton.

Most things by The Stranglers and early Squeez.

Gothic Voices doing early medieval stuff.

Currently, Paulo Nutini and Jan Garberek with the Hilliard Ensemble.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
Bach - Brandenburg Concerto 5, first movement.

Yeah, but all of them! [Big Grin] They've never failed to fix a bad day at work. As I'm singing the various instrumental parts while traveling in my car, there is nothing wrong in the world.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots and lots.

La Mourisque by Susato, which always makes me smile.
Cwm Rhondda with James O'Donnell's magic descant
O clap your hands by Gibbons.
Anything else by Gibbons. [Big Grin]
Ditto Byrd, Tallis, Praetorius and most of their contemporaries.
Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Vaughan Williams
The Hallelujah Chorus

and for when I'm being less serious:

Bohemian Rhapsody and more-or-less anything else by Queen
Vienna by Ultravox
Whatever you Want by Status Quo [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Too much to write down.

Lots of bits of Wagner's ring. Especially with loud horn calls in them. The riddle scene from Siegfried might be the best for this.

I agree. Someday, I'd like to go to Bayreuth. I find Ride of the Valkyries, particularly our CD with Von Karyjan (sp.?) is particularly good when I am driving someplace in a hurry or just thinking about doing so.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost forgot: It by Genesis (for instance, here performed live, between In the rapids and Watcher of the Skies by tribute band Giraffe). Very uplifting (apart from the explicit drug reference [Hot and Hormonal] ) and one of the band's most underrated songs in my view.

[ 04. April 2012, 05:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Any Welsh hymn in a minor key
'Jesus, lover of my soul' uplifts me with a certain denominational pride, and the uplift has been doubled since an old man taught me a filthy limerick which begins 'A girl I met in Aberystwyth ...' [Big Grin]

quote:
Wow - a collaboration I'd never have thought possible. Does Jan play a doo-wop baritone line while the Hilliards chip in with the sham-a-lam-a-ding-dongs?

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine.

Pretty much anything from Appetite for Destruction works for me [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a film student, back in the day when we shot everything on 16mm celluloid and stuck it all together with bits of tape, I found myself in a hopelessly cluttered editing suite, gazing forlornly at a whole load of footage of show horses which was stubbornly refusing to form itself into any kind of meaningful narrative — and this less than 24 hours before I was due to present a completed centrepiece for my final degree assessment.

My tutor handed me an LP by the Black Dyke Mills Band and suggested I try cutting some sequences together using one of the tunes as a soundtrack. One piece on the album was TJ Powell's The Contestor. It marched along with a springy, determined, confident air. And, conveniently, the tempo matched (near enough) the movements of a woefully tuneless local brass band that I'd filmed previously and then shelved, so I was able to cut short snippets of them 'miming' to this altogether better performance of an entirely different piece of music to the one they'd been playing.

It worked! The film virtually edited itself from thereon and got me the final grade I'd hoped for but had latterly despaired of attaining. But the main thing was that in those last dark hours (literally and figuratively!) in the editing suite, I felt the music itself spurring me on to make that last dash for the tape just when I'd all but given up. I'm no more a brass band aficionado now than I was back then but I still play The Contestor from time to time when I feel in need of a spiritual boost.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

quote:
Someday, I'd like to go to Bayreuth
If you do, you might bump into Walid Jumblatt and the Druze Militia men. Who sound like they might be an uplifting beat combo...but aren't.

[ 04. April 2012, 15:22: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're talking music that actually, positively, changes your mood, I find Friedrich Gulda's witty little piece, For Rico, irresistible. It makes me smile.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

quote:
Wow - a collaboration I'd never have thought possible. Does Jan play a doo-wop baritone line while the Hilliards chip in with the sham-a-lam-a-ding-dongs?
Oooo, those albums are great. Beautiful, ethereal, powerful. Many a night of study at Uni in the mid 90s was smoothed with "Officium".

I urge anyone who's never heard them to give them a go. Mostly very early choral music (although some modern stuff on the second two albums, I think) with Garberek improv sax soaring over the top (or indeed, on occasion, grumbling underneath.) Fabulous stuff.

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Beatles, "Here Comes the Sun"
Cat Stevens, "Peace Train"
"Love Divine, all loves excelling" sung to Hyfrydol. Only that combination.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Britten's 'Rejoice in the Lamb'

I particularly enjoy the Mouse aria, and of course there's also the line 'Let Balaam appear with an ass' in honor of our OP poster. [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have added Master Tallis's Testament by Howells. I can't fail to feel uplifted by that wonderful crescendo and then the completely pianissimo ending.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
'Let Balaam appear with an ass'

Which he does. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Renaissance choral music does it for me. On Tuesday evening last my wife and I attended a performance, by the Australian a cappella ensemble The Song Company, of Lassus' The Tears of St Peter, in the crypt of St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney. In 45 years of concert-going, I have never seen an audience so rapt. At the conclusion, there was dead silence for about a minute following the last reverberations, until at last the conductor turned to face the audience who erupted in applause.

In more modern idioms, The Dream of Gerontius and the War Requiem have me on a high. Years ago, I was coming home from a performance of the latter when I met two teaching colleagues on the train who were returning from a rock concert. It was debatable who was on a greater high, them or me.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

[Big Grin] Okay - I can see I wasn't clear, you naughty person. But Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble certainly do do music together - though I'm glad to say Mnemosyne (or however it's spelt) doesn't feature a single doo-wop or sham-a-lam.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I'm glad you liked it [Big Grin]

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last 40-odd years, the track I put on when feeling glum or despondent, which leads me to smiling good spirits, is Ducks on a Pond by The Incredible String Band. A typical Robin Williamson mish-mash of Celtic and Christian motifs, it even has a seasonal reference in the verse where the mood-switch occurs, with the mentioning of things which are contrary:

Peacocks talking of the colour grey
Awaking soundly in darkest day
A howling tempest on a silent sea
Lovely Jesus nailed to a tree

It starts out in sombre minors, and takes me on a journey, past a nursery rhyme, to a joyful rocking finale featuring, of all things, the kazoo. Works every time.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
perisphere
Apprentice
# 17033

- Posted      Profile for perisphere   Email perisphere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is actually the discussion thread that tipped me over the edge of hesitation and got me to join the Ship, so thank you, Balaam!

A friend once asked me what music I would want to hear if I were on my death bed, and that's where my mind went with the OP. My choice would be the Sanctus from Bach's Mass in B Minor--- I just ride on those notes, soaring and spiraling into a better place. Happens to me every blessed time I hear this music.

And when I am in an especially snarky and irritated mood, a good blast of Laura Nyro's Stony End (and Wedding Bell Blues, and everything else on that album) will get me rollicking and cheerful in a flash. Excellent therapy directly following committee meetings.

--------------------
I feel like spring after winter, and sun on the leaves, and trumpets and harps and all the songs I have ever heard.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mogwai
Shipmate
# 13555

- Posted      Profile for Mogwai   Email Mogwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Beach Boys at their most inspirational:

Late at night I think about the love of this whole world
Lots of different people everywhere
And when I go anywhere I see love I see love I see love

and

Together my love...
Let the love I have for you live in your heart
And be forever

--------------------
:love:

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Jan Gabarek with the Hilliard Ensemble at Exeter Cathedral (by candlelight). They were singing and playing fragments of the earliest music which had ever been found, and improvising on the same. It's a very eerie sound, especially when you realise that they were bringing alive music which hadn't been heard for many centuries, and also filling in the missing gaps, as it were.

If you like your early music spiced up a bit, then try Baroque music from the New World. There's none of the laid back, soporific style that European music of the time has - but altogether more upbeat and sunny.

Meanwhile, as I have one day left until I really ought to be playing happy, joyful, Easter music, here's a little taste of Pergolesi to enjoy.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I heard Jan Gabarek with the Hilliard Ensemble at Exeter Cathedral .

We had parts of their music at Stations the other night.Inspiring.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sylvia is sublime, Hocus Pocus is an abomination.

Any brass band music.

Any AC/DC from the Bon Scott days.

Eric Clapton 'Tears in Heaven' and Layla.

Nick Drake has the power to both depress me or lift my spirits depending on my circumstances.

Thin Lizzy, The Boys are back in Town.

And in the embarrassing category, Jason Mraz 'I'm Yours'.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thin Lizzy reminds me - Gary Moore and Parisian Walkways. powerful stuff.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Yes, Cat, powerful indeed.

Talking of Gry Moore reminds me of another great, late Irish guitarist.

Rory Gallagher - Moonchild. After the advert.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Skimming back up the thread... pereshere, glad to be of assistance.

I agree about the Sanctus, in fact any part of the Bach B minor mass does the trick.

On a Baroque trend - Handel, "For unto us a child is born," even when it isn't Christmas.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of U2 but their music has another dimension when heard live.

Sara Mclachlan - Angel
Goo Goo Dolls- Iris

And at the moment muvh of Switchfoot's Vices Versa album.

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

quote:
Any brass band music.

Eric Clapton 'Tears in Heaven' and Layla.

hey Spawn - spinning at 45 on the wheel of steel tonight, we had Layla - but the B side is arguably better (Bell bottom blues, you made me cry...).

And also the Black Dyke Mills band, Abide With Me and Deep Harmony (7" EP).

You'd have liked it.

I love singles - never has giving to charity shops generated such eclectic fun.

My interest in listening to music seems to be an inverse function of its availablility; presented with an internet's worth of infinite variety, my interest in listening to it asymptotes to zero. But give me three scratched singles...

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumped.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Thought we might need something to shake the mood.

Goin' Up the Country

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
Great choice, Twilight. Similarly, this cheers me up no end.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, [Hot and Hormonal] , apologies. Thought it sounded familiar...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016