homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Humorous songs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Humorous songs
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm auditioning for a "vaudeville" show. Need humorous songs. Double entendre is fine.

I have "Sweet Violets (tho it seems a bit tame as tease songs go), preacher and the bear, song of the sewer, does your chewing gum lose it's flavor.

What are some other playful or humorous songs?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noel Coward?

Don't put your daughter on the stage Mrs Worthington.

O dear, mum's got the pains again, (That is the end of the news)

I've been to a marvellous party.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything by Tom Lehrer.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Polka Dot Undies"?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know much about vaudeville but this fits in well with music-hall

Ivor Biggun - Southern Breeze (a song about farting)

too rude?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flanders and Swann? You need men for them.

'Ilkley Moor Bah T'at' can be very good. There are all kinds of arrangements, some suitable for only for Rugby clubs!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable; Heidegger Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha ha, 'yes' to Flanders and Swann and the Monty Python song about philosophers!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were a kind of early version of Brabbins and Fyffe were they? [Biased]
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had thought of recommending the Wolfe Tones' 'Some Say the Devil is Dead', but, on re-listening to it; reading the words and giving it considerable thought I think it probably definitely unsuitable.

Perhaps for a remote pub in the West of Ireland at 3.00 am one morning when the place is officially closed and everyone drunk out of their minds with nary a care in the world.

For polite company, sadly, nay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfTRMttapDc

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you female Belle Ringer - if so I find The prima donna's song by Victor Herbert - Art is calling to me.

Second hand rose

I want to sing in opera - (see the youtube with Patrician Routledge- priceless)

go down well with audiences ,however the one that always goes down the best is Blanche from Captain Beaky (do you remember him?) by Jeremy Lloyd

Unfortunately I can only find one you-tube clip of it and it is not good and the tune is completely wrong - but I can scan it for you if you send an email address.

When I offer to sing for my friends meaning "would you like to hear my Vissi d'arte from Tosca" they always say "sing us the one about the baby owl - Blanche" [Roll Eyes] [Smile] Good luck

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Posts: 75 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to suggest the Victor Herbert, too, Rosina. Hilarious when properly camped up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes it's fun and you can always change names to include your own local diva you would "oust" etc [Smile]

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

I just remembered this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_6I50oXAVM

never sung it myself [Razz]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might need permission but Mrs Beamish by Richard Stilgoe and Peter Skellern is a possibility.

Some others on this YouTube page are possibilities.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosina:
yes it's fun and you can always change names to include your own local diva you would "oust" etc [Smile]

Like "Shirley"? [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if you would need to clean it up a bit and whether it would work for just one voice but fascinating Aida Cheap flights just reduces me to giggles every time I hear it.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This would be good. In the notes it said it was sung by Groucho Marx in a 1939 movie:

youtube Muppets sing Lydia the Tattooed Lady

Richard Thompson has several songs that would be great for a vaudeville audience, but I don't know how to go about getting permission -- and don't know how you'd handle the music. Anyhow,you might consider: youtube- Richard Thompson - Dragging the River, or
youtube - Richard Thompson - My Daddy is a Mummy.

"Break a leg", and have fun [Big Grin]

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or plunder the 19th C music hall repertoire, which should be safely out of copyright.

I'm One of the Ruins That Cromwell Knocked Abaht a Bit?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depending on your audience, a sure hit might be William Bolcom's 'Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise,' which he wrote for his wife Joan Morris, in the persona of a club-woman. I haven't seen the music, but I presume it's published.
Bolcom & Morris's recording is IIRC on Youtube, which I can't access at the moment. (AARGH!)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Depending on your audience, a sure hit might be William Bolcom's 'Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise,' which he wrote for his wife Joan Morris, in the persona of a club-woman. I haven't seen the music, but I presume it's published.

Here are the lyrics. And here it is on You Tube.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Flanders and Swann? You need men for them.

Why?

Unless you really feel the need to get all basso profundo in the glorious mud, their songs are completely unisexual, shirley?

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit I can't really imagine Flanders & Swann songs being sung by a woman, but for the most part there's probably no reason why they shouldn't.

BR, how are you with patter songs? The Periodic Table set to the Major-General's song from Pirates of Penzance is pretty good. Or if you have a few voices, how about the Highway Code or the weather forecast to Anglican chant?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all are amazing! Now I'm remembering -- where did I see it? -- a fun song about senior moments.

The show is in a community theater in a different town, so references to one church denomination or a person in my town (such as "Shirley") wouldn't make sense, but "I just don't look good naked anymore" -- love it! Easy to change a few words so it's sung by a woman instead of a man.

I asked about copyright, does all material have to be old or original, they said the show is exempt from copyright because it is a non-profit theater and the show is limited run and only in their own theater and no one is paid. Are they right? What do I know; I asked, not gonna hire my own expert.

It's a yearly show, assuming they accept me at audition any excess material can be used another year. So, more ideas most welcome!

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
This would be good. In the notes it said it was sung by Groucho Marx in a 1939 movie:

youtube Muppets sing Lydia the Tattooed Lady

If you're going for Groucho, I'd suggest "I'm against it" from Horse Feathers, but that might reflect my preference for that film - At the Circus was poor apart from the song. It might be asking a lot for anyone (let alone a woman) to adopt a song like this. When there's a well-known and idiosyncratic version of the song, you're caught between the options of mimickry and reinvention, neither of which will be easy.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Senior moments song

Video is terrible but the song is fun.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I must admit I can't really imagine Flanders & Swann songs being sung by a woman, but for the most part there's probably no reason why they shouldn't.

I think it would be quite a different, and appealing, thing to hear "Madeira, M'Dear" sung by a woman.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can lip-synch, this YouTube of Patsy Cline's "She's Got You" should be do-able.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to the Searchable Mudcat Folksong Archives. You can enter any word or phrase and find songs containing it - for example: beer, gasoline, moose, or Alberta. Makes it easier to find songs for a particular topic. It also works for song authors and singers.

I'm sure you could manage a good vamp on
quote:
I've got those
Nobody loves me, nobody feeds me,
overflowing catbox blues.

Other possibilities:

I'm Gonna Tell
Sour Cream
The Folkie
The Last Saskatchewan Pirate

and lots more...

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plenty of unny songs on Fred Welock's "Frolicks" album including "The Vicar and the Frog" and from other writers, Vatican Rag, Salvation Army Lassie, and Handier Household Help.

Alternatively you could also try the folk song version of Gerard Hoffnung's speach to the Oxford Union "Paddy and the Rope".

http://www.songsforteaching.com/paddysicknote.

Also available as "The Sick Note" from the Dubliners.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis rip-off ? Or spoof revival ?

[ 22. April 2012, 21:17: Message edited by: Think˛ ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Green-eyed Dragon with the Thirteen Tails. There's a youtube of someone singing it here:

Here

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016