homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » finding Mr Right (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: finding Mr Right
Alikay
Shipmate
# 6148

- Posted      Profile for Alikay   Email Alikay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive not been on here for years, and seem to spend all my time online these days looking for my "soulmate". Has anyone found a good website that actually helps Christians that is not full of people who are fanatical evangelicals. But just fairly rounded people who seek love. Im a bit fed up of being judged and rejected on other dating sites when people read i go to church. Any thoughts?

--------------------
The one who calls me is faithful..and He is doing it!! Now!

Posts: 206 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alikay - welcome back!

But I don't think Dead Horses is the place for your request - it's rather dark and gloomy around here, and full of people muttering and ranting about disagreeable subjects.

Heaven is where it's at for you - up you go...

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alikay:
Ive not been on here for years, and seem to spend all my time online these days looking for my "soulmate". Has anyone found a good website that actually helps Christians that is not full of people who are fanatical evangelicals. But just fairly rounded people who seek love. Im a bit fed up of being judged and rejected on other dating sites when people read i go to church. Any thoughts?

This'll sound odd, but I once saw a dating website for 'ugly people'. I don't think you have to be 'ugly' to sign, up, just normal looking. But it might be a good idea, because the people on there are perhaps less likely to be so judgemental.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Alikay, welcome back to the Ship!

Do you want to specifically date a Christian, or is someone who's not a Christian but comfortable with faith ok?

If it's the latter, I met my Mr Right on the Guardian Soulmates website. He's not a Christian but is happy that I am - although we have some great discussions/arguments sometimes! [Big Grin]

Good luck finding your Mr Right.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship has rather a good record for happy matches between unrestful and questioning Christians, so stick around and you never know!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

This'll sound odd, but I once saw a dating website for 'ugly people'. I don't think you have to be 'ugly' to sign, up, just normal looking. But it might be a good idea, because the people on there are perhaps less likely to be so judgemental.
That sound really awful [Frown]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Nope, they're just as likely to be jerks as anyone else. People being, as one of my favorite TV shows says, "Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling."

I've found some of the more interesting people to be on the non-Christian boards, such as those associated with some of my other hobbies. Although, I must admit, this is the only 'Christian' board I hang out on, the other ones either bounce me really quickly or bore me to tears.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Alikay

Mrs Kankucho and I got together via Match.com, where I had been utterly candid about my religious convictions, and was asking prospective dates/partners simply to respect them (in my previous relationship, my faith had become a divisive issue).

The future Mrs K was fine about respecting my beliefs without having any desire to convert to them and, when we started getting serious, read a 'primer' about the kind of Buddhism I practise just so she'd have an better idea of what made me tick. A few weeks later, she woke up one morning with the realisation that she'd been chanting the 'nam myo ho renge kyo' mantra in her sleep. That was eight years ago and she hasn't stopped since [Smile] .

If you're looking for Mr Right on the internet, those who judge and reject you for being open about your beliefs are doing you a huge favour by deselecting themselves from your search. You get to keep your faith; they get to keep their judgments. Who's the loser?

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there many eHarmony folks round where you are? That seems to be a decent place for folks with spiritual leanings.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a site called christianmingle.com that advertises on TV quite a bit. "Find God's plan for you" is their slogan. Very up-to-date of God to use the social media to arrange introductions.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just speaking from personal experience, Alikay, do you not think it might be possible to meet someone reasonably right through your normal work? That way they don't need any pictures and they know what you're really like.

I'm sure you don't have two heads or anything remotely like that.

This may be hard to believe but there are men who look primarily for a woman with character.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, some encouragement that it can actually happen. Sadly Church of Fools is no longer up and running in its fully-fledged form, but if it can happen there, it can happen elsewhere.....

Presumably you have tried the trusted route of joining special interest hobby groups to meet like-minded people?

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw this thread I went immediately to search Oblivion for "Tigglet's Dating Agency", but in vain. But you're right, Chorister - look at how many Ship weddings (and, indeed, Ship babies) we have had here. Emma-Louise and aj, AnnieP and Tom Day, Spike and Tina, Atlanta and Quizmaster, Auntie Doris and PaulW, and they're just the ones which immediately spring to mind.

Poor Smudgie's still all alone, mind [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
But you're right, Chorister - look at how many Ship weddings (and, indeed, Ship babies) we have had here. Emma-Louise and aj, AnnieP and Tom Day, Spike and Tina, Atlanta and Quizmaster, Auntie Doris and PaulW, and they're just the ones which immediately spring to mind.

Alan+Flausa, Holly+Jono and of course Tigglet+Wairua are three others I can think of at the moment.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
patdys and patdys

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dyfrig and 'frin--the first Ship wedding of all, I believe--like Darby and Joan they are.

Yes--I'd say you've as good a chance to meet Mr Right here as anywhere. Shipmeets help. There are a number of highly eligible single Shipmates.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sean and Bronwyn, too - and that was a *very* international one! [Smile] And I think PaulC and his missus whose name escapes me just at the moment.

I'd stick with being yourself and being honest about what's important to you. If someone else can't respect that, then frankly it's their problem and you're better off knowing that before it becomes a relationship issue! [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:

Well if you will cause all this offence.... [Devil]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And this despite there once being a thread called "Hitting on Smudgie."

Alikay, I know around these parts (East Cost, USA) there is a "christian singles" website--but like Rather A Lot of the dating sites, it is slanted for the 20s-30s crowd rather than those of us (like me) who are in our 50s. I've rather given up on them.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
BalddudePeekskill
Shipmate
# 12152

- Posted      Profile for BalddudePeekskill   Email BalddudePeekskill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband (yay for marriage equality!)and I met on Match.com. I made it very clear in my profile that I was a Christian, commited to both the message of Christianity and all of the trappings thereof. I also stated that I strongly preferred someone whose religious views were in line with mine. Despite this, I got many, many replies from people who most definitely didn't read my profile too carefully. Ultimately though, I found my match and we will be religiously married in a delightfully nose-bleed high Episcopalian service this summer. Know yourself. Don't settle for less.

--------------------
Christos Aneste

Posts: 308 | From: Peekskill, NY | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
And I think PaulC and his missus whose name escapes me just at the moment.

That would be Zandolit! (With her cute little lizard avatar!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
like Rather A Lot of the dating sites, it is slanted for the 20s-30s crowd rather than those of us (like me) who are in our 50s. I've rather given up on them.

If you are over 50, there is a whole new world out there to explore. People might scoff at Saga and U3A (both of which have an internet presence as well as a real life one), but they are both aimed at those of older years but who are still young at heart, who want to get out there and investigate and learn stuff. I'm sure there are a lot of silver surfer romances just waiting for those with 30 good years still left in them.

And is 'Terry's Old Geezers / Gals' still going? They had a lively bulletin board all of their own, at least until a few years back.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
And I think PaulC and his missus whose name escapes me just at the moment.

That would be Zandolit! (With her cute little lizard avatar!)
Thank you - I still couldn't remember this morning, and it was starting to annoy me! [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stoo and Jenny Ann [Smile]

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
Stoo and Jenny Ann [Smile]

Bloody hell - how could I forget you guys? [Hot and Hormonal] [Disappointed]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm easily forgettable [Smile]

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

You're many things, Jenny, but not that!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who?

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's the Scottish Ship contingent too - lots of weddings and lots of PhDs [Big Grin] (The Machine Elf and me, Alan and Flausa, derf and strathclydezero).

I actually found SoF in the first place via the profile of someone I fancied on Christian Connection (but never had the nerve to contact). I never did work out who he was on the forums (this was about 10 years ago). Most people there were very evangelical and earnest, but I did get a few fun dates out of it and learnt to flirt, so it wasn't all bad [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried eharmony and some Christian dating sites, I had no luck. What found with those sites is that if you don't have and don't want children, then you may as well not exist.

I gave up on finding "the one" years ago, I figured its just not in the cards and I moved on to other endeavors. There's a kind of peace that comes with giving up and accepting things as they are.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. There are lots of Ship Couples when you start naming them!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't suppose there are any gay Christian dating sites, are there?
No, I didn't think so.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

Auntie Doris x

Wait, are these couples who met on the Ship, or just have both partners on board? If it's the latter, we're leaving out quite a few!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
No, I didn't think so.

Oh, and here ya go.
Not that it's the only one.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones listed all met on the Ship, AFAIK.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
No, I didn't think so.

Oh, and here ya go.

...and UK members are as rare as.....

*watches for flying pigs*

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

Auntie Doris x

Wait, are these couples who met on the Ship, or just have both partners on board? If it's the latter, we're leaving out quite a few!
No these are people who met on the ship, even then the list ain't complete.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's chukovsky/Mr Spouse and welsh dragon/Dave the Bass to add to the met-through-the-Ship list too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
..and UK members are as rare as.....

*watches for flying pigs*

Well it is possible to meet people from other countries - as certain shipmates know very well.

I didn't realise Chukovsky and Mr. Spouse first met on the Ship. You learn something new every day.

I met Mr. C. at the church 'Choir and Bellringers Dating Agency and Marriage Bureau' - the most successful route in my village - certainly in the 1970s and 80s.

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met Mr Jante on Dating Direct.com- having tried Christian sites that just produced weirdos!!! With the site we used you could indicate you were a christian looking for a christian even though it wasn't a christian site. WE have been happily married nearly 6 years [Yipee]
Happy to chat by PM if you want

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
No, I didn't think so.

Oh, and here ya go.

Well, well, well. Who'd have thunk it?

(I was tempted to say "bugger me!" but in print it's not clear whether that's an exclamation or an invitation.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, well, well. Who'd have thunk it?

Just spotted someone I didn't expect to find there ....

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I every so often think about using a dating sight but have no idea what I am looking for, so figure staying single is the best plan at the moment. I'm aware that part of me wouldn't want to go out with someone who wasn't a Christian, where as the other part of me is not sure it would want to go out with someone who is a Christian, which makes the whole what sort of dating sight to use an interesting question!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During my single years I used those ancient predecessors of online dating known as personal ads. At first I tried listing myself as "SWCM" (Single White Christian Male) but received only a handful of replies, mostly from hard-nose fundies. So I tried simply calling myself a "Liberal Christian." That stopped the fundies, but most people told me they didn't have a clue what a "liberal Christian" was.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, Squirrel, that's one of our problems: our own self-definitions may be inexplicable to those who read them.

I must say I'm amazed to see the people on SOF who are looking. It would appear to me that there has to be someone out there desperately seeking them.

It's a strange world.

--------------------
Well...

Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I am sure there ARE people out there looking for people just like the available Shipmates. The problem is it's so damn hard to meet like-minded singles. When I was single I kept meeting either atheists or Jewish women who liked me, but would only be serious about a relationship if I'd agree to convert. (Such is the singles scene in New York). For a while I was a member of a club for Catholic college grads, but the group wasn't very active.

If I were single again (please, let it never happen!) I'd no doubt try online dating, but not on "Christian" sites, since they seem to be geared primarily towards evangelicals, which I am not. Instead I'd use the secular services, and just mention my faith briefly in my blurb. Certainly I'd turn a few women off, but they'd be poor prospects anyhow. The other thing I would consider would be alternating between my regular church and one of the congregations known about town for having a lot of singles.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried a dating site once, about a year ago, based on a recommendation I read somewhere on the ship. I think I lasted about 4 days. scary stuff! The initial responses I got were good, but inevitably (within 2-3 exchanges) the men wanted to talk about sex. and were either insistent, or when I tried to steer the conversation elsewhere, just ceased to respond.

I'm no prude, but I'm not looking for a relationship based on sex. I want to talk about things beyond the contents of my pants. I don't tend to think of myself as terribly old-fashioned (maybe I'm wrong?) but it seems pretty damn tacky to talk about sex when you've first met someone. unless that someone is your gynecologist.

nowhere in my profile did I say anything about looking for hook ups; I can only guess I accidentally said things that were cues to that kind of conversation. rather than try and second guess what it was that I wrote that made men's minds run to spankings (or that I'd be okay being a "spare" for a married man!) I just deleted the account. I don't think the virtual part works for me - unless it's something that grows out of a friendship. when the whole premise of meeting people that way is the lonely hearts club, it feels forced. at least to me.

that being said, my prospects in the concrete world are not very promising, either. small little hick towns don't breed a lot of men who want to talk books or arts or philosophy . all the men in my life that I'd be compatible with are married or gay. well, or they're only interested in women who are 15 years their junior, tiny, fashionable, and naive. They're my "pals" - they tell me this. but that's not really compatible with me, anyway. because my first rule is that he has to find me irresistible!

I'm not that bothered, most of the time. I have my lonely moments. Otherwise, I'm frankly too busy to think about it too much. Plus, I think my standards are pretty ridiculously high, at this point.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met my wife more or less by accident on the Internet. She needed to get a message through to a friend. I did her a favour, and then we started chatting on IM as she was usually online before she went to work, when I got off work. We lived eight time zones apart. One thing led to another and we married eleven months later.

This came after several years of Christian Dating Agencies when I had more-or-less topped looking. My trouble with the CDAs was that tended to throw up the Fundies, loopy Liberals, and Catholics. The Conservative Catholic girls were the ones closest to my religious mindset, but they wanted me to 'vert. Not an option for me as somewhere deep down in my nature is an nasty little 'Orange Protestant' gene that says 'no surrender' on that one.

In the end I married a Catholic girl who had turned conservative Anglican. We concluded that we had to get married because we were reading each others minds from 7000 miles apart. To outsiders we can occasionally we can seem a bit like an alliance of Boudicca and 'Harry of Exeter' but we are very happy together.

I guess the point of this story is that you can do all the obvious things and then God does something weird on you.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

I've heard that a sizable percentage of the men who use internet dating sites are actually married. That would no surprise me.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
I've heard that a sizable percentage of the men who use internet dating sites are actually married. That would no surprise me.

I think several women, like comet, have been scared off many sites by various sorts of creep.

Welcome to the Internet: the new really Wild West.

--------------------
Well...

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016