homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Remembering the 90s (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Remembering the 90s
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Where were you when Kurt Cobain died? It was really an generational thing. It was amazing that 90s kids even knew of Queen and Freddie. The older teens were moved. The younger ones wore black at the death of Kurt Cobain. Remember Smells Like Teen Spirit?

When a colleague of mine asked as class why they were in mourning, a poet type girl stood up and bravely remarked about the late Cobain, "He was the voice of our generation." My friend said, "O please! You got that from MTV. He was 27, you're 15, get real!"

Loved her for that.

I lived in Seattle at the time of Kurt's suicide and I was soooooooo OVER grunge music at that point. I was feeling evil then and my roommate's daughter (who was sixteen at the time) and I relentlessly mocked the outpouring of angst and morbid wailing that went on. I nearly barfed when someone said, "Kurt Cobain died for your sins!". Oh, please! That statement STILL makes me want to hurl. The whole thing was just so overblown but then again, I'm not at all into celebrity worship. I had a friend who nearly commited suicide after she heard that River Phoenix died outside The Viper Room in L.A. She called me up and sobbed for about twenty minutes non-stop. Good grief!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't mourn Cobain but I do own the remastered "best of" Nirvana CD and like it a lot.

Courtney Love- there's something about her that makes me want to watch her, I'm not sure what.

The only famous person's death to affect me in the 90's was Princess Diana's. Also, I think JFK Jr's death was late 90's too- also sad and shocking.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Meatloaf, Counting Crows, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Guns 'n' Roses, Metallica, Placebo, Smashing Pumpkins, Terrorvision and Iron Maiden became the soundtrack to my life - and I also saw every one of those bands live during the decade (except GNR, who I saw live in the 2000's).

Some class music there. Incidentally, for me (and for many, I believe) the 1990s were not a vintage time for the Maiden and Metallica.

Anyway, irregardless of my private life, the 1990s began with hope. Germany reunified, many nation states became independent. Mandela was set free. Britain aside, I thought things were going to be better. That feeling stayed till the Balkans war.

Music wise, I got into metal in 1988 and started attending concerts, the best of which being Metallica at the Milton Keynes Bowl (with the criminally underrated The Almighty, together with Megadeth). Their "Black album" tour was legendary. I liked Guns 'n' Roses, but I hated the hype and Axl Rose is a twat (though my nickname at Crewe College was Axl as then I had long hair and wore a banadana when I played football). Generally though metal was torn apart by the likes of Nirvana (I bought "Smells like teen spirit" and was impressed by the energy), Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and the mighty Alice in Chains. Manic Street Preachers were also a favourite (though this music coupled with too much weed and various problems didn't help my mental health). While metal was waning, bands like Pantera, Sepultura, Rage Against the Machine and Machine Head were coming to class.

Oasis or Blur my arse.

Football wise we won the FA cup in 1992, but apart from the League Cup in 1995 it was a shite time. Though Fowler was a joy to watch.

Labour coming to power in 1997 was glorious. Mistakes were made, but things got much, much better. Finally I had hope for GB, and Wales devolution and the Good Friday Treaty were wonderful.

1998 saw the G7 summit in Birmingham and I was there, and got involved with Jubilee 2000 afterwards, something that gave birth to political activism.

After a few dark unemployed years I started working in a cathedral in 1998, and that brought me into the world of work. I also went to Taize that year, and going there resulted in me later moving to Germany and then to Poland. But that's the next decade [Biased]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most eminently, there was also dancing the macarena.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The more I thunkered the betterer I danthed it

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:

Labour coming to power in 1997 was glorious. Mistakes were made, but things got much, much better. Finally I had hope for GB, and Wales devolution and the Good Friday Treaty were wonderful.

I don't think that's been mentioned before. I was thirteen when the 'Troubles' started and past forty when the Treaty was signed. Thank God for everyone who did anything to bring it about, whether negotiating round a table or hiding in a hedge for a week in South Armagh.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I lived in Seattle at the time of Kurt's suicide and I was soooooooo OVER grunge music at that point. I was feeling evil then and my roommate's daughter (who was sixteen at the time) and I relentlessly mocked the outpouring of angst and morbid wailing that went on. I nearly barfed when someone said, "Kurt Cobain died for your sins!". Oh, please!
I do remember feeling a mild tug of generational soiidarity when Cobain died, even though I don't think I had ever purchased one of his albums.

Partly this had something to do with grunge being the first musical cycle that I had consciously been present for the beginning of(unlike, say, disco which I was not old enough to have been aware of at its inception, though I knew about it once it got going). Also, I generally liked that Pacific Northwest/slacker aesthetic(yes, I realize the Linklater movie was set in Texas).

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I accomplished v. little in the 90s, though I did bump into a new career v. slowly at the end of the decade and readied our daughter to live on her own in the year 2000.

Looking back, it was not very memorable except for my sister's wedding. She flew the three of us to Oakland, where we were collected by one of her friends from Chicago and driven to Benicia, a smaller city where her in-laws live. My wife sung at the wedding.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you were Irish in the early 90s minor events such as the fall of communism or the end of Apartheid were vastly over-shadowed by Italia 90, our first world cup, where we surprised everyone (not least ourselves) by reaching the quarter finals after a penalty shoot out with Romania. The whole country grinding to a halt to watch the matches in houses decked out in green, white and orange is literally my most vivid non-personal memory of the 90s. That and the stories of middle aged men abandoning their families and driving to Italy twelve to a van in the vague hope of getting tickets to a match. I actually remember much less fuss about the Good Friday Agreement. Obviously we were happy about peace, but if we were honest about it there was a sense that Norn Iron was a long way away and mostly someone else's problem. I do remember people venturing North from the mid-90s onwards to pick up bargains though. Trips North were still seen as rather daring (my generation of southerners basically thought of it as a war zone).
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For people in the UK and Ireland Princess Diana dying was probably the 90s JFK moment. I remember having to go and buy Candle In The Bloody Wind for my grandmother and Elton John's manically twitching eyebrow at the funeral. My English stepfather, who was deeply reserved, watched the whole thing with utter bemusement from his Irish exile.

In terms of music I'm ashamed to say that my most vivid memory was Take That breaking up. I hated them but I remember girls in tears at school [Confused]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread has inspired me to unleash my 8-up blue Doc Martins on a fresh and unwary generation. Two days into the experiment and am pleased to report so far so good. Will keep all posted [Biased]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016