homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What's Your Nearest Hymn Tune? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What's Your Nearest Hymn Tune?
GordonThePenguin
Shipmate
# 2106

- Posted      Profile for GordonThePenguin   Email GordonThePenguin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Anglo-Saxon world, hymn tunes have their own names, and may be named after any number of different things. However, place names figure highly, so I was wondering how many shipmates can claim to have a "local" tune.

To kick things off, I live around 15KM from Mannheim - the tune to Lead Us, Heavenly Father, Lead Us. I have no idea why it's called Mannheim, since I've never heard it either there or anywhere else in Germany for that matter. Perhaps between us we can drum up some more hymn tune trivia of that sort.

Over to you...

Posts: 401 | From: Heidelberg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Huron Carol is Canadian, and one of my ancestors was on an expedition with the guy who wrote it in the 17th Century.

But I was born and raised in Alberta, far from Quebec. It has a colorful history of religion intersecting with politics, but off the top of my head I can't think of any hymns that either originate in, or reference, stuff in the general area.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city I live in has its own tune and here is one for the county but there are a fair few shippies who live in that.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live seven and a half miles from Thaxted

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The city I live in has its own tune

??
I only know that as The British Grenadiers

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Japes and others in the cafe we have established that there was a hymn tune called Newport, but it is lost.

It would therefore appear that Cwm Rhondda is nearest at about 30 miles away, which isn't very good for the alleged Land of Song.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the closest I live to is Bristol. Possibly 'Frankford' if it counts for 'Frankfort'. Maybe Southwark, but I don't think that counts anymore since that district was suppressed.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, Googling to find mine tends to only point to Coventry Carol…
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, here we go. Apparently, there is a hymn called Lead Kindly Light, with lyrics taken from Cardinal Newman, set to a tune called Alberta, which W.H. Harris wrote while visiting my home province.

Alberta

While the province of Alberta is about 25% Catholic(with a strong French presence at the beginning), and notoriously conservative, it is not generally associated in the public imagination with the kind of culture and religion represented by John Henry Cardinal Newman. There is a theology school named after him, however.

[ 06. May 2012, 23:36: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a tune named after our very own parish in the Hymnal 1982 thanks to our late music director of blessed memory and his then-wife, now-widow (who is an active blessing to us).

I still have stalkers so ask indulgence in not revealing the name.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No surprise, but I find no hymn tunes named after Chicago. And the name of my suburb doesn't come up in either its English or French spelling. There are some nearby towns with hymn-tune names (probably because they seem to be names borrowed from Across the Pond): 9 miles from Northbrook and 5 miles from Niles. I would rather claim the Huron Carol, since Huron, South Dakota, is my birthplace.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several round here. There's more than one called Bristol, though this link is to what I'd imagine is the best known. There's also Abbots Leigh which is a village nearby, though the link isn't to what I'd regard as the usual words, and Thornbury not far away.

Anyone care to write a tune and call it Nempnett Thrubwell, one of the odder place names round here.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loving Shepherd of thy Sheep (hymn tune Buckland) was composed by Rev. Hayne, a Creamtealand vicar - the tune was named after his church. Unfortunately we don't seem to hear it much now.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it is more of a Woodbridge tune than an Ipswich one, we have "Deben" by Gordon Hawkins, a former organist of our church. It goes to "Spirit of God within me" but it's not very well-known: a URC speciality I think!

Woodbridge is 10 miles from us; our local river is the Gipping and I'm not aware of a tune by that name!

[ 07. May 2012, 08:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My last room in college was within sight of Hollingside lane and the eponymous cottage.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite Advent hymns is sung to a tune named after the town where I live.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The English Hymnal seems to be the best source of tunes for places where I have lived.

429 (Birmingham)
109 (Cheshire)
42 and 448 (Dundee)
322 (Leicester (or Bedford)) - I have lived in one of those places.
297 (London)
69 (Plaistow)

I am aware of a tune called Glasgow as well...

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

??

Sheffield

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congregational singing as we know it today stems from the reformed singing of the psalms in a metrical form. The French psalter used such a wide variety of metres that many psalms had their own tune that wouldn't fit anything else. If the tunes were referred to it would be by the number of the psalm, or the opening words - so we have tunes still in use with names like Rendez ŕ Dieu, Mon Dieu prete-moi l'oreille, Ministres de l'éternel and the like. The English psalter was far less metrically diverse, which meant that words and tunes could be often coupled more or less as one wished. It therefore became necessary for the tunes to have distinctive names of their own. Place names seem to have been used in most cases for the tunes in the earliest psalm collections - Day, Este, Ravenscroft and the various Scottish psalters. Winchester, Bristol, Dunfermline, Elgin, London, Dundee, Durham, Lincoln, Wigtown, York ... And so the tradition carried on as Jengie Jon notes re Mather's Sheffield. Others of the same vintage include the various Wainwrights' Liverpool, Manchester, Stockport, or at the other end of the country - in Creamtealand, Crediton or SS Wesley's Bude. More recently Holst's 'big tune' from Jupiter became Thaxted. Little Cornard, Coe Fen, Griffin's Brook, Edgbaston ... the practice continues. On this side of the Atlantic at least I don't think anyone can be more than a few miles "away from the name of a tune".

[ 07. May 2012, 09:42: Message edited by: Metapelagius ]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been a huge fan of the tune, Detroit - it's not bad, until it hits that upward run at the end of the third line. Overall pretty unmemorable. I can't even remember which words are set to it in The Hymnal 1982, nor can I be bothered to go look it up.

It probably isn't named for Detroit, Michigan, since the Motor City is home to so much wonderful music. How could that piece have been inspired there?

A tune called "Detroit" should either be soulful, in a Gospel or Motown vein, or should have about 120 beats per minute in true Techno form. (Try getting your congregation to sing that with an organ accompaniment!)

[eta: Yes, I know the tune predates the automobile not to mention Motown...]

[ 07. May 2012, 09:43: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does a traditional spiritual count? I live "Down By the Riverside".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

??

Sheffield

Jengie

In that case there are two Sheffields - this one and the one by William Mather which 'goes with' a chunk of Psalm 68 which often comes around on Ascension Day "Thou hast, O Lord, most glorious, ascended up on high ..." Mercifully it stops before the lines "the hairy scalp of him that still on in his trespass goes".
[Help]

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I live seven and a half miles from Thaxted

And my family come from a neighbouring village. Sadly, John Ireland's hymn tune "Sampford" seems to have slipped into oblivion.

On the other hand, (and I think I've outed myself enough on the Ship that another clue won't make any difference), I currently live
in Wolvercote. (beware weirdly strobing organ pipes).

AG
(stop moaning, Sioni - Cwm Rhondda gives me goosebumps and I'm from about as far East of Wales as you can get without wetting your feet [Razz] )

[ 07. May 2012, 09:59: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Right Another tune called Sheffield and now to make it easier for people, Index of Hymn Tunes, its not complete as it only covers those in the public domain but it is a good start.

The use of secular words to hymn tunes is common, On Ilkely Moor Bah't'at is of course to the hymn tune Cranbrook.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live very close to the city that's mentioned in the title of "Recife O Lord In Heaven Above" [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Apologies for double post but this is too good not to post.

Just to demonstrate it can be sung to other words.

Enjoy.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
Right Another tune called Sheffield and now to make it easier for people, Index of Hymn Tunes, its not complete as it only covers those in the public domain but it is a good start.

The use of secular words to hymn tunes is common, On Ilkely Moor Bah't'at is of course to the hymn tune Cranbrook.

Jengie

Too many Sheffields! Could lead to confusion- like the time the organist was asked to play Salzburg, which he did. Unfortunately he played the Michael Haydn one, not the Hintze which fitted the words to be sung ...

On the other hand secular tunes can be fitted up as hymns - RVW in the English Hymnal used a number of traditional English tunes; a century later the compliers of the Church Hymnary have followed his lead, 'borrowing' the Skye Boat Song, The Banks o' Doon, Eriskay Love Lilt and others.

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about 8 miles from Burrington and frequently go past the "cleft" that Rock of Ages sprang from.

AtB Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm figuring Paraparaumu (my home town of upbringing) and Humpty Doo (my current postal address - he says, outing himself again) aren't featuring hugely as hymn tunes.

[ 07. May 2012, 11:04: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bus ride away from Chiselhurst an alternative tune to "Hail the day that sees him rise" which I've only sung at St Alban's Holborn. It made a nice change.

And Stockport is a lovely Christmas number. I'd far rather sing it than Hark the Herald Angels.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Cuddesdon at the moment, which is a hymn tune to number of hymns!
cuddesdon [Yipee]

[fixed link]

[ 08. May 2012, 01:48: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Sheffield

It is very, very similar to The British Grenadiers, Mather wouldn't get away with that nowadays.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I'm figuring Paraparaumu (my home town of upbringing) and Humpty Doo (my current postal address - he says, outing himself again) aren't featuring hugely as hymn tunes.

Two Shirley Erena Murray hymns come pretty close: RAUMATI for Look Toward Christmas and PAUATAHANUI for a short blessing.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leominster

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Several round here. There's more than one called Bristol, though this link is to what I'd imagine is the best known. There's also Abbots Leigh which is a village nearby, though the link isn't to what I'd regard as the usual words

Abbots Leigh is about a mile and a third from my study, where i am sitting typing this.

A previous vicar wrote the tune in its vicarage.

I have helped out there during an interregnum. Good choir for a small church.

The tune was originally an alternative to the German tune for 'Glorious things of thee are spoken.' It also goes to 'Sing we of a blessed mother' and 'Father, Lord of all creation'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charles Winfred Douglas, the editor two 20th century Episcopal hymn books, lived in Colorado for some time. And while I seem to remember hearing something about another hymn tune being named for a location near by, he did write a hymn that apparently didn't survive the transition to Hymnal 1982 called "Dexter Street," named for the Dexter Street where I occasionally ride my bicycle to visit the library.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That snappy little number "Go to Dark Gethsemane" is apparently set to a tune called "St. John's, Barmouth," which in one sense could be quite close to St. John's, Newfoundland ... but geographically, not at all really.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes but you can get Geographically closer. Annoying thing is my response was "I have sung a hymn to the tune Newfoundland", now I know the tune exists but have no idea which tune it was.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Thanks to Japes and others in the cafe we have established that there was a hymn tune called Newport, but it is lost.

It would therefore appear that Cwm Rhondda is nearest at about 30 miles away, which isn't very good for the alleged Land of Song.

Cwm Rhondda is probably my nearest at the moment, but I'm moving to Aberystwyth in the summer, so that's me sorted!

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Several round here. There's more than one called Bristol, though this link is to what I'd imagine is the best known. There's also Abbots Leigh which is a village nearby, though the link isn't to what I'd regard as the usual words

Abbots Leigh is about a mile and a third from my study, where i am sitting typing this.

A previous vicar wrote the tune in its vicarage.

I have helped out there during an interregnum. Good choir for a small church.

The tune was originally an alternative to the German tune for 'Glorious things of thee are spoken.' It also goes to 'Sing we of a blessed mother' and 'Father, Lord of all creation'

It's a really popular tune for new hymn texts, it seems. I first learned it (in TEC's Hymnal 1982) to "God is love, let heaven adore him..."

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Hemel Hempstead, and the village and hymn-tune Guiting Power is near Milton Keynes, about 40 miles away. If there's a nearer one, I don't know it. I was brought up, in the 50s and 60s, in Stockport, which is also a tune - that of 'God Rest ye, Jerry Mentalmen', which is alternatively known as 'Yorkshire'.

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Correction - 'Stockport/Yorkshire' is the tune of 'Christians, Awake, Salute the Happy Morn'.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, there's a hymn tune called Elkhart (about 30 minutes away). This text is sung to it which suggests it might sound something like this.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coe Fen is my nearest I think.
Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... since Huron, South Dakota, is my birthplace.

In that case, how about Lac Qui Parle? [Smile] Close enough!
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Correction No. 2 - Guiting Power is in the Cotswolds: I've just checked. There's definitely a hymn-tune village near Milton Keynes, but it must be another one.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hereford

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
Correction No. 2 - Guiting Power is in the Cotswolds: I've just checked. There's definitely a hymn-tune village near Milton Keynes, but it must be another one.

It's Bow Brickhill.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Two Shirley Erena Murray hymns come pretty close: RAUMATI for Look Toward Christmas and PAUATAHANUI for a short blessing.

Interesting - in reality I was more Raumati than Paraparaumu anyway.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes but you can get Geographically closer ...

I wondered if I could get away with that, although it's really known as the Ode to Newfoundland. My first thought was the tune
St. John,* which is about as near as I could get, but may be thought a bit of a cheat by any New Brunswick shippies ... [Big Grin]

Whenever we're travelling through Scotland, we find ourselves breaking into song as we pass certain road signs (especially Glasgow and Kilmarnock). [Smile]

* Click on the word "MIDI" on the line beginning "St. John (Parish)". Sorry about the quality.

[ 08. May 2012, 02:44: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016