homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What's Your Nearest Hymn Tune? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What's Your Nearest Hymn Tune?
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my nearest has to be Kelvingrove

Though of course, my ship's ID is also a hymn tune, so it could be considered that I'm never away from it...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm within walking distance (or staggering as it has two good pubs on the way) of Denby .

Not familiar with the tune though. A tune encapsulating the spirit of Denby would have more of a purple-faced ranty feel to it.

[ 08. May 2012, 08:38: Message edited by: Bob Two-Owls ]

IceQueen
Shipmate
# 8170

- Posted      Profile for IceQueen   Email IceQueen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abbots Leigh was my last parish before leaving the Bristol area. (Leo - I was in that choir, but not during an interregnum. They must have improved since I left - or were better before I was there? - which is a worrying thought!)

Some one there (I think it was the organist) told me the story of how Cyril Taylor was asked by the congregation to change the tune of the last two bars from D-E-D to F#-E-D because they found it easier to sing. He was, apparently, not amused...

(For Bristolians, there's also Malcolm Archer's Redland, sometimes used for King of Glory, King of Peace.)

As for my current residence, Cyberhymnal gives a tune for Warwick, but I can't say I've ever heard it used.

Posts: 209 | From: Warwick | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I helped out there about 10 years ago (though it was usually Leigh Woods, the other church in the benefice/parish). They called me 'the singing vicar' - their previous vicar couldn't sing so a tenor used to cant the versicles. But I did - they asked, as i wouldn't want to trample on someone else's job. I also sang all the collects, which was bit 'high church' for them.

Although they chanted the psalms and the canticles, they were able to sing a half-decent anthem each time i went there. That is how i define a good choir' for what is basically a village church, albeit one which has become a commuter base for the city over the bridge.

If there is a tune called 'Redland' than I am even nearer to that than to Abbots Leigh. - I think I should win the prize for being nearest to a hymn tune.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find a Charleston tune, but there is Charlestown, which is our original spelling (actually it seems to have been Charles Towne).

It comes from Kentucky Harmony (as does churchgeek's Detroit), but it was more likely named for Charlestown Virginia (now West in West Virginia). And Kentucky Harmony tune names are always a bit puzzling; there's also one called The Church's Desolation!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

If there is a tune called 'Redland' than I am even nearer to that than to Abbots Leigh. - I think I should win the prize for being nearest to a hymn tune.

Except that Jante has already posted that she lives in one... [Smile] As do I.

[ 09. May 2012, 11:39: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think of a hymn tune called Croydon!! [Big Grin]

I think the nearest would be "Chislehurst", which is a very pretty alternative tune for the Ascension Day hymn: "Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise" - you hardly ever hear it, as most church music directors prefer the better known tune of "Llanfair". A great pity IMHO.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There may not be a hymn tune called Croyidon, but there does appear to be one called Norwood.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
There may not be a hymn tune called Croyidon, but there does appear to be one called Norwood.

Never heard of that tune before.

Maybe our church in Norwood could adopt it - although it is a bit dreary methinks.

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:

I think the nearest would be "Chislehurst", which is a very pretty alternative tune for the Ascension Day hymn: "Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise" - you hardly ever hear it, as most church music directors prefer the better known tune of "Llanfair". A great pity IMHO.

There is also a hymn tune called "Bromley". Sorry, can't find the reference right now.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Several round here. There's more than one called Bristol, though this link is to what I'd imagine is the best known. There's also Abbots Leigh which is a village nearby, though the link isn't to what I'd regard as the usual words, and Thornbury not far away.

Anyone care to write a tune and call it Nempnett Thrubwell, one of the odder place names round here.

The Wurzels have a song about Nempnett Thrubwell. I can't find a link for it's tune, but the lyrics are here.

There's no hymn tunes named after my city, so I'll claim St Finbarr as I live just along the road from his cathedral.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently just down the street from St Mark's, Berkeley.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in -Manchester- (don't know that one) close enough to -Stockport- (nice tune). About the latter, my Companion to Hymns and Psalms notes 'Yorkshire, though frequently used, is quite unsuitable'. Quite right. [Big Grin]

But underneath the entry for -Stockport-, is the place where I really live.

Yes, folks, I live on -Stoner Hill-.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Berwickshire
Shipmate
# 15761

- Posted      Profile for Berwickshire   Email Berwickshire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since today commemorate Victory in the Great Patriotic War, it is as good a time as any to mention the “local” hymn tune.

Real “belter”: “Moscow” (Móscha) probably most commonly used for “Thou whose almighty word”. North Americans (for some reason) generally prefer to call it “The Italian Hymn”.

Local also therefore to the UK’s “Moscow”, a tiny village on the west of Scotland tourist trail, so day trippers on the A77 back to Glasgow can pass by “Kilmarnock” (“O God of Bethel by whose aid”) as they go.

Posts: 57 | From: Eastern Europe | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Newcastle', 544 in the old Methodist Hymn Book with the words
'Eternal light, eternal light, how pur the soul can be' is the only tune I can think of around this area.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huddersfield.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess "Langley" would be mine.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Thanks to Japes and others in the cafe we have established that there was a hymn tune called Newport, but it is lost.

It would therefore appear that Cwm Rhondda is nearest at about 30 miles away, which isn't very good for the alleged Land of Song.

Cwm Rhondda is probably my nearest at the moment, but I'm moving to Aberystwyth in the summer, so that's me sorted!
Sioni - closer to Newport is apparentlyCaerleon (spotted on the Cuddesdon link above, but no other google evidence so far)

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by me, earlier:
No surprise, but I find no hymn tunes named after Chicago. And the name of my suburb doesn't come up in either its English or French spelling.

Jackpot! I had to leave the Anglican world to do it, but I found a hymn tune Chicago by the venerable Ira Sankey (makes sense -- Moody and Sankey's home base was Chicago for many years) with words "Onward, Upward" by Fanny Crosby. Still nothing named for my little burb, but Evanston is only a mile away. The words are "Father of Jesus Christ, My Lord" by Charles Wesley.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see a couple from my window (well, I can usually, not today), The Isle of Mull and various things from Iona.

[Fixed your link. Here is a good place to practice!]

[ 11. May 2012, 02:59: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Water End set to Glad that I live am I or more surprisingly as here. Also to Christopher Idle's Glory and Praise to God.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There's one called Surrey - will that do?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Hereford

Ah, I spent seven very happy years in Hereford. The city, that is, not the hymn tune.

Near, Leominster, of course, which is another nice tune.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mt Samson gazes down on the front of our house, while across the paddock Lake Samson Vale sparkles in the starlight.
Posts: 103 | From: -27.28985,152.838769 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

There was a tune called Croydon. You will need to scroll down to find the reference.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Nearest to us is "Sennen Cove" by W H Harris. It's set to "How bright these glorious spirits shine!" 306 in AMNS. Sennen Cove is about 4 miles from us.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised to learn there is a tune called Phoenix. Also, for another geographical feature of Arizona, Lake Mead. And, of course, Arizona itself.

[ 11. May 2012, 20:58: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good job there are no tunes called Duluth or Mississauga or Tipton, think how embarrassing it would be to admit that you lived there.

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd sing it if it were Hibbing

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

The next hymn is sung to Hibbing 12 12 15 13 13

I need a shot of love, I need a shot of love .....

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwalchmai, used for "King of glory, king of peace".

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Gwalchmai, used for "King of glory, king of peace".

No doubt, but Gwalchmai (literally 'hawk of May') isn't a place - it is a personal name. The Welsh equivalent in the Arthurian Romances for the French Gauvain or the English Gawain.

quote:
Botticelli isn't a wine, you Juggins! Botticelli's a cheese!
-Punch, 1894

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It most certainly is a town (Gwalchmai, Ynys Mon), on the A5 on Ynys Mon. Been through there many times.

Unless you mean the song wasn't named after the place.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Water End set to Glad that I live am I or more surprisingly as here. Also to Christopher Idle's Glory and Praise to God.

There's a Water End only about three miles from me, just outside Hemel Hempstead. I don't know if it's the same one - there's at least one other Water End, and I suspect it's quite a common place-name - but if so, it beats Bow Brickhill hands down, which is fine by me, because BB is dreary and tuneless.

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
It most certainly is a town (Gwalchmai, Ynys Mon), on the A5 on Ynys Mon. Been through there many times.

Unless you mean the song wasn't named after the place.

Oops sorrry - yes it is a place. But it is also a definitely a personal name, attested as early as c. 1200, though on reflection I recall that it is thought more likely to mean 'hawk of the plain' rather than 'hawk of May'.

The hymn tune was written by Joseph David Jones who was born in Bryncrygog in Montgomeryshire, worked for some time in Tywyn in Meirionydd, and died in Ruthin (Denbigh). That is not to say that he wouldn't have called the tune he wrote after a place in Anglesey. On the other hand he wrote a cantata entitled 'Llys Arthur*' which suggests an interest in Arthurian legends.

Could be the place, could be the legendary character.

*'Arthur's court' - before I get slapped down for a phrase not glossed into English ...

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada being both larger and less populated than the British Isles, it is a bit more difficult to be "close" to somewhere, but a quick runthrough of "Common Praise" (ACC) tells me that Woodworth and Riverside are both tunes that name places in my school district, within about 25 minute drive from me.

Halifax and it's suburb Rockingham are about three hours away, as is St. Stephen (in the other direction). St. Louis is about an hour north, but most of the more unusual Saints' names now refer to once-populated areas that now are not even on the map.

Jerusalem has the distinction of having been shelled out of existence by the Canadian Army (it was once in the middle of what is now Base Gagetown)

And, minor pedantic note for Piglet, the city in NB is known as Saint John. The abbreviated version is only used on The Rock or in Quebec. Remember this to save embarrassment if you ever visit!

[ 13. May 2012, 20:38: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

There was a tune called Croydon. You will need to scroll down to find the reference.

Jengie

Is there a tune called "Addington"? I would be very surprised if there isn't what with Addington being the home of the Royal School of Church Music.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick google tells me that "Addington" was written by Cyril V Taylor and has the meter 5.5.5.4 D

That should be enough information to find it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fidei Defensor:
Good job there are no tunes called Duluth or Mississauga or Tipton, think how embarrassing it would be to admit that you lived there.

There is a tune called Duluth - it's just not a hymn. Maybe you could set religious words to it. [Biased]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"St Helena," by Calvin Hampton seems to fit, as I can look out my window and see Mt. Saint Helena. On a side note Hampton and I were born the same year.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fidei Defensor:
The next hymn is sung to Hibbing 12 12 15 13 13

I need a shot of love, I need a shot of love .....

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

(soory I was a bit slow to see that)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is apparently not one, but two hymn tunes called Bromley: one by Jeremiah Clarke and the other by "Haydn", but possibly not THE Haydn, I don't know. I had never heard of either of these before.

If only there were a hymn tune called Penge. But there isn't...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
There is apparently not one, but two hymn tunes called Bromley: one by Jeremiah Clarke and the other by "Haydn", but possibly not THE Haydn, I don't know. I had never heard of either of these before.

If only there were a hymn tune called Penge. But there isn't...

/tangent
Which reminds me:
A now-in-glory chorister friend of mine used to refer to "Ponge les deux eglises". But this was when de Gaul was ruling France.
/tangent off

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

SFG
Apprentice
# 17081

- Posted      Profile for SFG   Email SFG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a lovely thread!

I have wondered where some of those places are, it also makes me wonder what the most remote hymn tune place. We'll have to Wait for a remote shipmate to tell us!

Port. Stanley, perhaps.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________ _ _
A new member hoping to get it right!

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a tune 'Newcastle' Go HERE and scroll down to MF223. It's brass band recorded in 1933

[ 18. May 2012, 19:59: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SFG
Apprentice
# 17081

- Posted      Profile for SFG   Email SFG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess there is a place called SHRUB END but it also sounds quite homely and where I may like to live.

Almost Tolkein-ish.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________ _ _
A new member hoping to get it right!

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
/tangent
Which reminds me:
A now-in-glory chorister friend of mine used to refer to "Ponge les deux eglises". But this was when de Gaul was ruling France.
/tangent off

Ah, Ponge-sur-mer, how we dream of thee.

Also, Morlader, don't ask me to explain why, but your chosen photo of the Gorgon always makes my wife and me laugh. (Just sayin')

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SFG:
I guess there is a place called SHRUB END but it also sounds quite homely and where I may like to live.

Almost Tolkein-ish.

Shrub End is a suburb of Colchester. Or, as I rather think of it, a pimple on a pimple....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
... a suburb of Colchester. Or, as I rather think of it, a pimple on a pimple....

AHEM.

My Better Half comes from Colchester - I think it's really quite nice.

Honestly, Norwich supporters ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kasra
Shipmate
# 10631

- Posted      Profile for Kasra   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a tune called Lincoln, though one assumes not named after the Lincoln I live in. Never heard of the various things it's set to... but then it's not a tune belonging to the Plot.

Kx

--------------------
Can you spare $13.10 to help find a cure for Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma? http://pages.teamintraining.org/ne/kc12/cburberqb8#home

Posts: 309 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016