homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Things that ought to make a comeback. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Things that ought to make a comeback.
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cassettes! They're so much more user friendly than digital recorders.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eaton's. I want to go to a real department store. Bonus if the put the statue of Mr. Eaton back.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Eaton's. I want to go to a real department store. Bonus if the put the statue of Mr. Eaton back.

I wish I could find a link to their song:

"Take a moment, a special moment.
Make each moment, a special moment.
Got a lot of Christmas shopping to do-oo-oo.
Let Eaton's share a special moment with you and you and you.."

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bathing suits that cover 100% of a woman's buttocks, rather than the string bikini which covers at most 10% of same.
Well...it depends. [Biased]

I do miss real department stores, though. I remember that every December we would go on a family Christmas shopping trip (to Shillito's when we lived in Cincinnati, Hudson's when we lived in Michigan) and you could get everything there--clothes, books, records, sporting goods, appliances--and of course there was the whole Santaland North Pole bit...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giving your membership number at the Co-Op and looking forward to getting the divi.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
Giving your membership number at the Co-Op and looking forward to getting the divi.

35325 - my parents' Co-op number, back in the 50s and 60s. I'm generally no good at remembering numbers, but that one's imprinted indelibly on my brain.

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kind-hearted old gents who are nice to children. They don't dare be nowadays, for fear of being branded a paedophile.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe you can answer this Steve H:

Whatever happened to postmen in grey uniforms and peaked caps carrying large hessian sacks? And why don't they whistle any more?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Maybe you can answer this Steve H:

Whatever happened to postmen in grey uniforms and peaked caps carrying large hessian sacks? And why don't they whistle any more?

The grey uniforms went in the mid-80s, shortly after I started as a posty, in 1985. The whistling stopped because posties became more and more demoralised by the antics of Royal Mail and successive governments.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
the latest nonsense of banning the display of tobacco products is just mean-spirited and stupid.

As is smoking itself! We've nearly gotten rid of it inside hospitals and doctors' offices, but when I see a barbarian smoking right outside the door, I ream her a new one! Only people with excruciatingly poor judgement still smoke cigarettes and those who smoke in public should be forced to get in their personal cars and roll up the windows!

What I would really like to see is a return of multi-cylindred cars to motor racing: I long to hear the mellifluous tones of a well-tuned V-16 or the banshee wail of a modern V-10 or V-12 going round the track. I'd also like to see these engines in road cars: to my knowledge, Rowan Atkinson is the only person to own a modern V-16 which is in a concept car built by Rolls Royce: I saw it on Top Gear, so I know it exists. Supercharged V8 Jaguars are amazing fun to drive, but I miss the '73 XKE's V-12.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
the latest nonsense of banning the display of tobacco products is just mean-spirited and stupid.

As is smoking itself! We've nearly gotten rid of it inside hospitals and doctors' offices, but when I see a barbarian smoking right outside the door, I ream her a new one! Only people with excruciatingly poor judgement still smoke cigarettes and those who smoke in public should be forced to get in their personal cars and roll up the windows!

What I would really like to see is a return of multi-cylindred cars to motor racing: I long to hear the mellifluous tones of a well-tuned V-16 or the banshee wail of a modern V-10 or V-12 going round the track. I'd also like to see these engines in road cars: to my knowledge, Rowan Atkinson is the only person to own a modern V-16 which is in a concept car built by Rolls Royce: I saw it on Top Gear, so I know it exists. Supercharged V8 Jaguars are amazing fun to drive, but I miss the '73 XKE's V-12.

Smokers may be killing themselves, but powerful cars are killing the entire planet. I gave up cigs decades ago, because they're the real killers, but pipes and cigars, not being inhaled, are much less harmful, especially if, like me, you live a healthy and eco-friendly life in other respects. The rash of exclamation marks in your little rant makes clear what a fanatic you are.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

P.S.: what on earth does "ream her a new one" mean?

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that even trolls ain't what they used to be.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trickydicky
Shipmate
# 16550

- Posted      Profile for Trickydicky   Email Trickydicky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we could sum this up as: the 1960's. Or whichever decade we were at school in.

--------------------
If something's worth doing, its worth doing badly. (G K Chesterton)

Posts: 57 | From: Greater Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

I don't think anyone's trolling: I and Sir Kev are just having a "full and frank exchange of views", that's all.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think anyone's trolling: I and Sir Kev are just having a "full and frank exchange of views", that's all.

I don't mean you guys at all, or anyone else on this thread. Just reflecting on what has been stated elsewhere.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:

Umm - I give them my card rather than remembering the number, but I still get the divi.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We moved to this town in 2005, and it is "big" on Co-ops! We immediately joined and were given a number, it took my wife back to her childhood in Glasgow. However a year later they introduced swipe cards and you had to use them instead of just saying the number.

But I'm expecting this year's divi cheque any day now!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

'Full and frank exchanges' can be conducted in a suitably forthright manner in Hell.

Firenze
Morphing from Border Collie to Rottweiler Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I don't mean you guys at all, or anyone else on this thread. Just reflecting on what has been stated elsewhere.
Oh, I see - just an on-topic post! Sorry - just my suspicious nature. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

One thing I don't want to see brought back is the beer of my early adulthood, which was the early 70s: that was the nadir of keg, when real ale, cask- or bottle-conditioned, nearly became extinct. Thank God for CAMRA, mainly due to whose efforts, real ale made a magnificent comeback. Some things are better now than they were then!

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Independent shops instead of mega-chain stores that are exactly the same wherever you go.

I'm all for this one. Shops run by people who knew their business and their products, and were concerned about their customers.

And all of the privatised services including BR. They were sold off for the glittering cash, and now we are all paying for them. And the services are crap.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
And all of the privatised services including BR. They were sold off for the glittering cash, and now we are all paying for them. And the services are crap.

Virgin Trains are so-called because they act as though they've never done it before.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I love capes! I have several that I wear throughout the winter (or what passes for winter in central Arizona!).

Coooool. Around here I only see capes on Goths and Harry Potter fans.

I second the calls for the writing of letters, old-fashioned politeness and courtesy, and the Wearing of Hats. I also want there to be old-fashioned drugstores with old-fashioned soda fountains and a return of the siesta to this part of the country. Why not have a couple of hours in the middle of the day when you can close up shop, eat, and take a nice long nap?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British car registration plates before the grinning git Blair messed about with them. The two letters that are now at the front are supposed to denote the region: what in the name of all that's holy was wrong with keeping the regional letters as they were?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the services are crap.

That's clearly a matter of individual perception - I'd say the train services we have now are far better than they were under BR. Not perfect by any means, but better.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Virgin Trains are so-called because they act as though they've never done it before.
i thought it was because they don't go all the way

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depends which line you're on. The cross-country routes are always going to be plagued, whoever operates them.

Bring back the steam train, I say. And the days when you didn't have an endless string of announcements - "for your safety and security this train is fitted with an annoying female robotic voice who will shout safety information at you loudly for several minutes."

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
quote:

i thought it was because they don't go all the way
[Big Grin] That too!

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
And the services are crap.

That's clearly a matter of individual perception - I'd say the train services we have now are far better than they were under BR. Not perfect by any means, but better.
Marvin, weren't you in your teens when the railways were (re-)privatised? That gave us Railtrack (remember how wise it was to contract out track maintenance to a profit-motivated monopoly?) amongst others, which contracted track use to the operating companies which, in many instances, don't operate integrated ticketing, something that most of the pre-grouping (pre-1923) railways managed without computers. And they had proper shareholders to satisfy as well as customers. Oh, and they had competition too.

btw, Rail privatisation was done under John Major. Even Thatcher thought it unwise to carve up a state-owned monopoly into a number of small monopolies that have showed themselves as costly to the taxpayer and user as BR would ever have done.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Depends which line you're on. The cross-country routes are always going to be plagued, whoever operates them.

Bring back the steam train, I say. And the days when you didn't have an endless string of announcements - "for your safety and security this train is fitted with an annoying female robotic voice who will shout safety information at you loudly for several minutes."

In Wales we get the announcements twice! Somehow, the Welsh voices are better than the English ones, and I can't understand Welsh. Maybe that's why.

As for steam locomotives they sound right, look right and smell right, but they are high maintenance. The best of them is a lot like Joan Collins (79 today).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sioni Sais: In Wales we get the announcements twice!
Wait until you take a train in Belgium [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin, weren't you in your teens when the railways were (re-)privatised?

Yes. So? I've been a rail nut since before I was in primary school, and while I'll freely admit that as an enthusiast I far preferred seeing proper locomotives with rakes of coaches behind them I think the servcie we have now is far better than the one we had then.

quote:
That gave us Railtrack (remember how wise it was to contract out track maintenance to a profit-motivated monopoly?) amongst others,
Railtrack went wrong because the profits weren't connected to any need to keep up standards.

quote:
which contracted track use to the operating companies which, in many instances, don't operate integrated ticketing, something that most of the pre-grouping (pre-1923) railways managed without computers.
They don't? How odd. And here was me thinking I could go to www.nationalrail.co.uk, enter literally any two stations in the country, and be offered journey times and ticket prices between them. How much more integrated do you want it to be?

quote:
And they had proper shareholders to satisfy as well as customers. Oh, and they had competition too.
The lack of competition in the modern privatised railway is bad, but it's down to government overregulation and franchise contracts that actually prevent it. In the few areas where genuine competition exists (Birmingham to London, say) it's resulted in improved speeds, improved comfort and lower fares through each company deciding which of those incentives to use to entice passengers onto their trains.

[ 23. May 2012, 14:31: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not saying that BR was perfect. I think there were some important changes that were needed to sort it out. But I think that the services and prices would be better now under a properly run BR.

And yes I am biased, because my local line is one of the worst in the UK for complaints, punctuality, and problems, not to mention the highest per mile prices in Europe.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of hats, I agree completely.

When she was an Anglo Catholic, my wife used to wear these totally mad, feminine, over the top hats which were functionally completely useless.

We agreed a budget of one of these mindless extravagancies a year, an agreement she habitually ignored as she was inevitably led into temptation.

She gave it up when she became an anachronistic catholic. Now she dresses in studied dowdiness for church. “That’s too smart” she informs me, if I recommend some alternative to the 1930’s domestic servant on her day off look.

Oh for the old days!

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mustard flares?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canon firecrackers, all looped together in a bundle of 24, so that when lit, they go off one after the other, and sound like machine gun fire.
Perfect for setting off under the bleachers at sports events.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Bring back the steam train, I say.

As for steam locomotives they sound right, look right and smell right, but they are high maintenance. The best of them is a lot like Joan Collins (79 today).
I remember steam. Nasty filthy things. I remember them regular setting of fire to railway embankments, occasionally nearby fields. Living between Standedge and Morley meant all rail trips were through tunnels - some git always had a window open. Good riddance to steam I say.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Marvin, weren't you in your teens when the railways were (re-)privatised?

Yes. So? I've been a rail nut since before I was in primary school, and while I'll freely admit that as an enthusiast I far preferred seeing proper locomotives with rakes of coaches behind them I think the servcie we have now is far better than the one we had then.
Let's see.... In those days
  • you could get very large luggage items sent ahead cheaply if you had a ticket (fair enough,maybe the IRA are to blame for that one going)
  • you didn't have to book a seat - so you never had to specify which train you'd be catching on both outward and return journeys - and, if there were no seats available in second class, you were entitled to sit in first class
  • trains were never stopped half way through their journey and passengers told to get out and wait for the next one
  • if a train was running a little bit late, they would sometimes hold a connection
Some people complained about British Rail porters but, when I was a student, I can remember a porter running up to help me as I staggered under my rucksack and, having carried to the gate, disappearing before I could offer him any kind of tip.

Granted, the food's better now - but then the food is better pretty much everywhere.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
I remember steam. Nasty filthy things. I remember them regular setting of fire to railway embankments, occasionally nearby fields. Living between Standedge and Morley meant all rail trips were through tunnels - some git always had a window open. Good riddance to steam I say.

... and you could stick your head out of the window and get a face full of smuts. That was proper travel, that was.

I'd actually just like it to be the era before mobile phones and e-devices. Peace and quiet in public spaces. People sitting reading books or newspapers, nobody shouting into mobiles, playing tinny music or texting as they drift aimlessly and erratically at a snail's pace down the stairs or across roads.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I'm glad that's come back, at least on a small scale: glass milk bottles. Granted, right now they're only being used by about three organic dairies in opposite corners of our state, and because the closest place we can find bottled milk is at our food coop 40 miles away, meaning that we only get to enjoy it about one week a month when we make our scheduled trek to Cool University Town. But...it really makes a difference. It's the closest thing I've found to the home-pasteurized milk my farmer parents used to keep in quart jars in the fridge. And, interestingly, we find it lasts twice as long as conventional supermarket milk.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading about British Railways made me wish for railways at all. The process for at least 30 years if not 40 has been to rip out branch lines (the ones which used to serve small towns and grain elevators) and leave all the hauling to semi-trailer trucks which now tow 2 50+ foot trailers at a time down narrow grid roads (country lanes). They bang the roads to smithereens and we all pay taxes to get them fixed.

And grain elevators. This is the archtypical Canadian prairie scene, fields of wheat broken by small towns with Canadian Wheat Pool grain elevators in them. Well, no more. It's all 'inland terminals' brought to us by agri-chemical companies.

And the alphabet named towns. This is where the rail companies named a new town every 15 miles, starting at letter A and going all the way along to Z, some rail lines doing it 2½ or 3 times from the edge of the Canadian Shield to the Rocky Mountains. Link for interest

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suspenders ('bracers' for those in the UK). So much more comfortable than a belt!

Also, I'd appreciate a resurgence of the UK-definition suspenders ('garters' for those in the US) as well! Mrs. IL_99 looks so much sexier in those than in pantyhose. [Devil]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
Suspenders ('bracers' for those in the UK).

I think you'll find that's braces. Or, where I come from, gallowses - I suppose because you hung your trousers from them.

No woman I believe would ever wish the return of suspender/garter belts. They invariably lost the little button in the clip - a loss which could be supplied with a polo mint, or a sixpence (though that could be a problem if you also needed the sixpence for your bus fare).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hypercolour t-shirts!

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suspenders! You'll be wanting liberty bodices back soon.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Writing letters. Nobody does that any more - even emails seem to be dying out in favour of Facebook status reports or texts, and a fountain pen is some kind of novelty.

I second that, and not only because I'm a postman.

Calling vicars "Parson"s, and not calling them "Rev. Smith" (or whatever their surname is), because, however common it is nowadays, it's wrong. If you want to be formal, it's "Rev. Mr (or Miss, Mrs or Ms, nowadays) Smith", but less formally, just "Mr (Mrs, Miss, Ms) Smith" is perfectly acceptable, as is "Parson Smith".

Rev Mr or whatever is never correct in the UK, though it might be in the US. Parson's fine, being neither here nor there. "The Rev" prefixes the forename and is never used in speech, similar to styles such as "The Hon". In speech you use "Father", "Mother" or a secular style.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, hats!! and gloves!!

As for everything else, I'll keep the modern versions, thanks! I was never so happy to chuck out the cassettes and VHS and mouldering old paperbacks in favour of the new mod cons.

And while I admit to liking steam trains, I would go nuts if I had to commute to work on one. They are like the heritage trams in Adelaide which are beautiful and I love them, but unlike the new ones, don't have airconditioning and are awfully loud/rickety.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
Rev Mr or whatever is never correct in the UK, though it might be in the US. Parson's fine, being neither here nor there. "The Rev" prefixes the forename and is never used in speech, similar to styles such as "The Hon". In speech you use "Father", "Mother" or a secular style.

It jolly well is! I've seen it in print (not that that proves anything, admittedly). The point is that "reverend" is a description |(not necessarily an accurate one), not a title, unlike, e.g., "Bishop" or "Archdeacon", so it doesn't replace "Mr" or whatever other title you would use in formally addressing a person.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One thing I don't want to see brought back is the beer of my early adulthood, which was the early 70s: that was the nadir of keg, when real ale, cask- or bottle-conditioned, nearly became extinct. Thank God for CAMRA, mainly due to whose efforts, real ale made a magnificent comeback. Some things are better now than they were then!

Lord, have mercy upon us and incline our hearts to keep this law.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016