homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peter God (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peter God
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose most teachers are familiar with the child who is convinced that God's first name is Peter, 'Thanks Peter God, but I was flummoxed what I was observing a student in a Year 4 Class last week. The question was 'Why do we thank God for the drains?' Both the student and I we're mystified. 'You know' she said 'where the watchmen is in the waste places and they have to mind the drains'.

Light dawned.

Our God reigns. It will never be the same again.

Are there any other mishearings that put a new vision in the mind?

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always fond of "And lead a snot into temptation."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
I suppose most teachers are familiar with the child who is convinced that God's first name is Peter, 'Thanks Peter God, ...

I was flummoxed until I said this to myself several times in an r-less accent. Pond difference there.

One of my favourite mis-hearings is the opening line of the Easter hymn "Low in the gravy lay Jesus my saviour".

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Ken's here again.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
I suppose most teachers are familiar with the child who is convinced that God's first name is Peter, 'Thanks Peter God, ...

I was flummoxed until I said this to myself several times in an r-less accent. Pond difference there.

One of my favourite mis-hearings is the opening line of the Easter hymn "Low in the gravy lay Jesus my saviour".

With the mighty chorus "Up from the gravy and toast!"

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite fond of :

"My hope to follow Julie is in thy strength alone"

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child I was always quite happy singing about 'A daily round the common' - exercise is good and you'd probably take the dog.
I was more curious about the mysterious furniture shop but 'Task will furnish all we need to ask' so that was OK too.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Op.2 was happily singing one of the songs from one of her 'Jesus CDs' when I heard her proclaim, 'He leads through green pasta, I'll walk with him always'.

Dinner time will never be the same again...

[ 22. May 2012, 13:23: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(The Angel Gabriel) - "most highly flavoured gravy, gloria." Also at school saying the Lord's prayer (traditional version) I thought the words were "Our Father we chart in heaven, hello be thy mane."

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I thought the words were "Our Father we chart in heaven, hello be thy mane."

It is the words introducing the Lord's Prayer that have been misheard the most. We even have a shipmate named after it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Close relative of that elusive Canadian reptile, the prairie tortoise.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I was an early reader still when I fell in love with the hymn "there's a wildness in God's mercy like the wildness of the sea." DECADES later I read the hymn and saw the word is wideness; I've never liked the hymn since, stripped of the exuberance of wildness.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I'm quite fond of :

It goes with "You shall go out with Joy…"
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to think that 'The Lord of the Dance' featured the line 'and I'll lead you all in the dance settee'. Was that just me?
Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by BroJames:

quote:

I'm quite fond of :

which may or may not be better than "full enjoyment of Felicity"
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
I used to think that 'The Lord of the Dance' featured the line 'and I'll lead you all in the dance settee'. Was that just me?

No it wasn't just you! [Biased]

We used to sing a song in Sunday School that began 'I met Jesus at the crossroads, where the two ways meet...' As a young child for some bizarre reason this brought to mind an enormous set of butchers scales weighing slabs of meat, set up at the crossroads like a signpost. The name of this device must have been called a 'Too' for this was 'where the too weighs meat'.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I guess I was an early reader still when I fell in love with the hymn "there's a wildness in God's mercy like the wildness of the sea." DECADES later I read the hymn and saw the word is wideness; I've never liked the hymn since, stripped of the exuberance of wildness.

More a misreading than a mishearing: there's a Widnes in God's Mersey... and I'm sure there is, as it's only down the road from here.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In primary school we used to sing the prayer 'Lord keep us safe this night, secure from all our fears' and I never understood why I had to wade in amongst everyone else's fears to seek my own.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... through Him we offer you arseholes and bodies ...

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've posted this before on one of our periodic threads on this theme...

As a young child, I could never understand the hymn that has the line:

'Worthy the Lamb that died, they cry, to be exalted thus..'

Worthy the Lamb was obviously like Larry the Lamb. It was sad that he died, which was obviously why they were crying, but the rest just didn't make a proper sentence.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by BroJames:

quote:

I'm quite fond of :

which may or may not be better than "full enjoyment of Felicity"
...or "a virtuous woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies..." (Prov. 31) followed by, "how much does Ruby charge?"

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose most teachers are familiar with the child who is convinced that God's first name is Peter, 'Thanks Peter God...
Nonsense, everybody knows God's name is Harold: "Our father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name..."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was small, I thought one line in Charles Wesley's childrens hymn "Gentle Jesus, meek and mild" was "Pity mice in Plicity". I wondered where Plicity was, and why it was such a bad place for mice. According to my parents, I also thought that the next line was "suffer me to come to tea", but I don't remember that. Pity my simplicity, indeed!

[ 23. May 2012, 06:41: Message edited by: Steve H ]

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
everybody knows God's name is Harold: "Our father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name..."

That, apparently, was what my late uncle Harold thought when he was small, also "Hark the Harold angels sing". He always was a conceited bugger.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Let me be the first to mention that this kind of mishearing is called a Mondagreen, from the old Scottish folk-song, which includes the lines, in the misheard version, "They hae killed the Earl o' Moray, and Lady Mondagreen" (really "laid him on the green").

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
Let me be the first to mention that this kind of mishearing is called a Mondagreen

[Slight Hosting]
The first on this occasion, but the term is familiar on The Ship.

PS Multiple posts tends to come across as a trifle monopolising.
[/Slight Hosting]

Firenze

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Sunday School we used to sing a song called something like "My Jesus left Heaven's bright glory" which included the line "But He's coming back in great splendour".

For years I heard it as "He's coming back in September". It never seemed to bother me that He blatantly didn't come back in any of the Septembers in these years.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also sang about the the Lord of the darned settee.

Not a hymn, but for years I sang a line from "When you wish upon a star" as "Like a boat out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you through" instead of "bolt". I'd probably not heard of a bolt from the blue, and the image of a rescue boat emerging from a blue mist across a blue lake made sense to me.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At primary school, we used to sing "The Lord's my shepherd I'll not want" and I used to think "Why won't I want him?"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Firenze

Well, if we had a bit longer to edit posts, they wouldn't be necessary, would they?

[ 23. May 2012, 13:26: Message edited by: Steve H ]

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Im sure I'm not the only one who sang "The kettle a lowing" and thought it was an other word for boiling!!!

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Divine Praises, "Blessed be her holy and immaculate conception" came across as "Blessed be her holy and immaculate contraption." I've heard of chastity belts, but really . . . .

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Firenze

Well, if we had a bit longer to edit posts, they wouldn't be necessary, would they?
You have as long to compose a post as you wish. You have as long to view it in Preview post as you wish. There is a limited time in which to recall a post for editing, but no limit that I am aware of, to the time you may spend making changes.

All of which has nothing to do with your tendency to make a number of different sequential posts.

If you want to learn to respond to more than one point, or poster, in a single post I can recommend this thread as a place to acquire the necessary coding skills.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my daughter was little she had a friend called Polly so it made perfect sense to her to sing that "Polly is the name of the Lord" - "holy" being a more difficult concept.

I've known children (and some adults [Biased] ) to "Come on and sellotape, sellotape, sellotape and string" and there's the legendary child who christened his teddy "Gladly" after the hymn "Gladly My Cross-Eyed Bear."

Arseholes and bodies... how much does Ruby charge... [Killing me]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I've known children (and some adults [Biased] ) to "Come on and sellotape, sellotape, sellotape and string"

"Cardboard and sellotape, sellotape, sellotape and string, sellotape and string, drawing pins".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I've known children (and some adults [Biased] ) to "Come on and sellotape, sellotape, sellotape and string"

"Cardboard and sellotape, sellotape, sellotape and string, sellotape and string, drawing pins".
Ah. The Authorised Version. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Not a hymn, and not funny particularly, but there's a mondagreen in Joan Baez's recording of 'The Day they Drove Old Dixie Down'. She knew the song from a 50s recording by the original singers of it, a country group I can't remember the name of, but had never seen the lyrics printed, so she sang what she thought she'd heard, which at one point is "Like my father before me / I'm a working man", but the correct words are "...I will work the land".

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
In the Divine Praises, "Blessed be her holy and immaculate conception" came across as "Blessed be her holy and immaculate contraption." I've heard of chastity belts, but really . . . .

It is said that the late (American author) Dorothy Parker was expelled from a RC school for girls for referring to the Immaculate Conception as the Spontaneous Combustion. [Yipee]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... 'And lead us not into Thames Station': these are the right words, aren't they?

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
... 'And lead us not into Thames Station':

But deliver us from weevils.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok slightly different but related. How many think that in
quote:
My heart is weak and poor
until it master find;
it has no spring of action sure,
it varies with the wind.

the metaphor refers to the weather and not to a clockwork instrument and therefore have sung the wrong word at the end.

Jengie

[ 23. May 2012, 19:45: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can describe exactly where I was sitting, in a parade service as a guide when it dawned on me that I had previously misunderstood the line in And can it be - 'Thine eye diffused a quickening ray, I woke the dungeon flamed with light'

I had imagined it as my eye seeing the quickening ray (not sure how as I don't wake until the next line, but hey that's childhood logic. It was a real 'aha' moment whenI realised I had it the wrong way around - like turning a map the other way up and it suddenly making sense!

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When a knight-one hispers in the stories of old ...

I was clear knights were involved somehow - though not sure exactly what hisperring was.

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
It is the words introducing the Lord's Prayer that have been misheard the most. We even have a shipmate named after it.

We also have a Shipmate named for the hymn line, Gladly the Cross I'll bear.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always have to restrain myself from a smile when I hear and then remember:
'In the name of the Father, the Son and in the hole he goes'. Could be why I have to stay a Baptist for the time being.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:

Thank you, Balaam! After all these years on the Ship I *still* miss the regional accent jokes.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
goes with "You shall go out with Joy…"

One of our mates in a church choir we both were in was named Joy: we always looked at her funny when the chorus came up...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think far too many men regard their peter as God!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of "A Monk Swimming", Malachi McCourt's memoirs of his childhood in Limerick, so called because as a child he used to think that the words in the Hail Mary were "a monk swimming", rather than "amongst women".

When I was at primary school, school assembly was always closed with us singing "God be in my head". I remember asking my mother one day, why God should be at "my end and my tea party."

[ 24. May 2012, 10:49: Message edited by: Aggie ]

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reminded of this one by the 20 year aniversary airing of 'I get so excited Lord, I'm forgiven' by our music group on Sunday.

The Chorus goes 'I'm forgiven, I'm forgiven, I'm forg......Well you get the picture.

Unfortunately when sung in a large crowd (or any crowd) it sound unmistakeably like they are singing 'I'm a Gibbon, I'm a Gibbon'..etc.

Now I know why this tune quietly went out of fashion in the last Century!

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016