homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peter God (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peter God
MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to sing Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy, shall follow you.... all the days, all the days of your life.

I just think that's bang out of order, and all three of them should be arrested for stalking.

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
... 'And lead us not into Thames Station': these are the right words, aren't they?

On this side of the pond it's generally 'lead us not into Penn Station' -- which given that venue's confusion should continue 'but lead us OUT of Penn Station.' [Snigger]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course there's the Bus Driver's Prayer.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the seventies we had a song "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him" with the rousing chorus: "I got brains!", or, as originally intended, our god reigns.

More recently my kids have likened the lyrics "defender of the weak", to manager of the month, or goal of the season. Though this last is a deliberate misreading.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
More recently my kids have likened the lyrics "defender of the weak", to manager of the month, or goal of the season. Though this last is a deliberate misreading.

I've always thought that! Sounds like a footballing award.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. Shame, I really like the song otherwise.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our CU president at the time was one Andrew Raines, which fits quite nicely into the chorus of that song
In our fellowship youth group, the chorus of that song which starts "I get so excited Lord every time I realise", became I'm a gibbon"

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a South-African hymn, 'We are marching in the light of God', which is sometimes sung in the original African language as well as English, if the words are available. The first verse of the African version sounds vaguely like "Cook your hamster in a white-wine sauce", which is what I've heard sung (and, I admit, sung myself) before now.

The words, in the original and the usual English version.

[ 25. May 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: Steve H ]

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
I was reminded of this one by the 20 year aniversary airing of 'I get so excited Lord, I'm forgiven' by our music group on Sunday.

The Chorus goes 'I'm forgiven, I'm forgiven, I'm forg......Well you get the picture.

Unfortunately when sung in a large crowd (or any crowd) it sound unmistakeably like they are singing 'I'm a Gibbon, I'm a Gibbon'..etc.

Now I know why this tune quietly went out of fashion in the last Century!

Along those lines,

quote:
When to the temple Mary went
and took the holy Child,
him did the aged simian see...

I suppose all those animals around at her baby's birth prepared Mary to hand off her child to an old monkey!

[ 25. May 2012, 21:15: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother and I loved to change "To be a pilgrim" in every verse of that classic because "pilgrim" both rhymed and scanned with our family name.
My brother would even sometimes dedicate the whole hymn to our mother who in the manner of the 1950's changed her name on marriage!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the sopranos in our choir always wants to sing that as "to be a penguin".
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
... in the manner of the 1950's changed her name on marriage!

I think it's happened since then. I got married in 1988 and changed mine. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I changed my name when I got married - from "Steve" to "Oy!".

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016