homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Have Mercy. It’s Low Sunday. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Have Mercy. It’s Low Sunday.
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I visited a local Roman Catholic parish on Saturday night to hear Mass and heard a new name for today. The priest called this day in the Church’s calendar (2nd Sunday of Easter) Mercy Sunday. I’m accustomed to calling this day Low Sunday. But it made me wonder: in the local folk lore why do we call it that? Low attendance? Low church?

Local custom seems to have named a lot of Sundays this time of year, starting with Refreshment Sunday, followed by Passion Sunday, Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday, and now Low Sunday. Did most all of the Sundays of the year have a nickname?

I’m sorry if this isn’t Ecclesiantics material. Will some kind host please re-direct to the appropriate board? Thank you!

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Mercy' relates to the cult of Christ's Divine Mercy revealed to St. Faustina. She believed that Christ had called for His Mercy to be celebrated on the Sunday after Easter following a novena beginning on Good Friday. It was made a Feast of the Universal Church by Pope John Paul who may have felt a strong affinity with Faustina, who was also Polish. It is also very popular in Ireland.

The relevant promise, copied from the image I keep in my room [Smile] runs:

'I desire that the Feast of Mercy be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. The soul that will go to Confession within 8 days and receive Holy Communion and spend some time in Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament on this day, shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.

Jesus, I trust in you.

PS no, the thread is fine here!

[ 14. April 2012, 23:01: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well dj_ordinaire, that answers Wm Dewy's question with all the bells and whistles necessary.

I would regard that as the SOF equivalent of a hole in one. [Smile]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'Mercy Sunday' maybe - the 'Low Sunday' less so, although I have heard that this derives from 'Laud Sunday' after the Introit...

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Mercy Sunday explanation gave you game, set and match.

Just rejoice! [Biased]

--------------------
Well...

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Divine Mercy Sunday. Occasionally, I've heard it called Doubting Thomas Sunday, after the invariable gospel. I'm serving a priest's first mass tomorrow, so it certainly won't be an unceremonious affair!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charles Tournemire's organ mass for this Sunday is one of my favorites and I play it at least every other year. It usually goes into the bulletin as Introit, Offertoire, Toccata "for Quasimodo". People might think that the music has something to do with Victor Hugo's Quasimodo, the "Hunchback of Notre Dame". He was so-named, as I recall, because he was found on the cathedral steps as an infant on this Sunday. The Sunday is called Quasimodo, of course, because of the opening word of the introit.

As an aside, Katherine Bergeron in Decadent Enchantments describes the great popularity and influence of this novel. During its vogue, every fashionable Parisian wanted to display his or her newfound acquaintance with the details of Gothic architecture. It stimulated a love for this cathedral in particular and a desire to see the damage it had sustained in the French Revolution repaired. The Gothic revival movement and a Romantic fascination with things medieval in general followed (although there were other influences leading to this development). The re-establishment of a Benedictine monastery in Solesmes was one result.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forget how I first heard this, but in my early, compulsive Anglocatholic days I had heard that Low Sunday was so called because Laudes was the first word of the Introit for the mass.

Googling for Introit Low Sunday turns up this link which (after much backing and filling) tells the same story, but with the Sequence providing the name, not the Introit.

[ 15. April 2012, 03:25: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one time it was known as "Dominica in Albis" - Sunday in white, as those baptized on easter would still be in their baptismal robes. The English 'Whitsunday' for Pentecost has a similar origin except that was a day on which baptisms traditionally took place making the church white with baptismal robes.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeffTL
Apprentice
# 16722

- Posted      Profile for JeffTL   Email JeffTL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also heard folks refer to it (and, sometimes, the first Sunday in Christmas) as international associate pastors' day, after the typical homilist.
Posts: 49 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the introit for today is Quasi Modo, not Laudes...Another name for Low/Divine Mercy Sunday is Quasi Modo Sunday, because of the introit, as another member mentioned.

For RCs, Divine Mercy Sunday has become quite a big deal. Divine Mercy is related to the Sacred Heart, and is a very popular devotion.

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quasimodo as in the hunchback of Notre Dame, who is found as a baby on this day.

I believe the Orthodox call it the Sunday of Thomas as the gospel reading is the resurrection appearance to Thomas (as it is in all three years of the RCL, the BCP and the Tridentine missal.)

There's also the business of it being the eight day, and the escatological aspect of the resurrection

It seems a shame to replace an ancient, biblical and rich traditional emphasis with that on a personal revelation.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from church. I went to a nearby old fashioned place (I have been to mass five times in the last two weeks at my usual place, so I hope I wasn't being frivolous.)

I was handed a BCP and the gospel there stops short of the appearance to Thomas. In fact, as the gospel was read from English Missal, the reading continued to describe Thomas.

Live and learn.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The First Sunday after Easter (Second Sunday of Easter) must be the Sunday with the most names.Quasimodo Sunday,Dominica in albis(depositis),Low Sunday and now in the RC church Divine Mercy Sunday.In Germany it is called White Sunday.

Low Sunday,however,I always thought was in contrast to the previous 'High'Sunday of Easter Day.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Low Sunday,however,I always thought was in contrast to the previous 'High'Sunday of Easter Day.

Me too.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it is still the Easter Octave.

I wish the lectionary did't give us Thomas every year - vicar always away so I always preach. After 5 consecutive years' sermons on Thomas, I'm dredging the barrel.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo, perhaps you should do as we did, and send out to 'Rent-A-Priest'.......(our parish priest married a wife yesterday, and therefore couldn't be at Mass today!).

I have always been told (informally) that Low Sunday was so-called because it was usually a bit of an anti-climax - numbers-wise - after the huge crowds attending on Easter Day. Our little shack, with its ASA of 30 or so, had 38 today - 26 adults and 12 under-16s, so we were quite chuffed.

Ian J.

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I wish the lectionary did't give us Thomas every year - vicar always away so I always preach. After 5 consecutive years' sermons on Thomas, I'm dredging the barrel.

Tell them the old, old story, then. Tell them that by his wounds, we are healed. Tell them that revelation comes through wounds; that God is there -- frustratingly furtively, but there -- in their wounds. Tell them that the promised rest, the land of perfect sharing and where no-one is in need... tell them that that's real, that our wounded, risen Lord has walked there. Tell them that we walk there, a pilgrim people guided by fire, not tiptoeing around suffering, but through it, clinging to the hope of the cross. By his wounds we are saved.

With good news this good, why would you want to be novel?

[ 15. April 2012, 13:16: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
leo, perhaps you should do as we did, and send out to 'Rent-A-Priest'.......(our parish priest married a wife yesterday, and therefore couldn't be at Mass today!).

I have always been told (informally) that Low Sunday was so-called because it was usually a bit of an anti-climax - numbers-wise - after the huge crowds attending on Easter Day. Our little shack, with its ASA of 30 or so, had 38 today - 26 adults and 12 under-16s, so we were quite chuffed.

Ian J.

I don't know if this is where the 'low' in 'Low Sunday' comes from - as I say, I've heard other explanations! - but it would certainly seem appropriate for today, numbers low by our usual Sunday standards and certainly compared to last week's packed house.

--------------------

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

I was taught that Low Sunday was a corruption of 'Dominica in Laudes' ('Sunday in [the Easter] praises', the final day of the old Easter Octave. In the Old Days (including my childhood!) there were certain elements of Easter Liturgy, now (rightly) extended to the Great 50 Days, which were once a feature of just the Easter Octave.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:

Tell them the old, old story, then. Tell them that by his wounds, we are healed. Tell them that revelation comes through wounds; that God is there -- frustratingly furtively, but there -- in their wounds. Tell them that the promised rest, the land of perfect sharing and where no-one is in need... tell them that that's real, that our wounded, risen Lord has walked there. Tell them that we walk there, a pilgrim people guided by fire, not tiptoeing around suffering, but through it, clinging to the hope of the cross. By his wounds we are saved.

With good news this good, why would you want to be novel?

And, you can wrap things around back to the Easter Vigil and the Five Wounds of Christ nailed right into the Paschal Candle. The soothing incense of those five Paschal wounds points from the enlightening of the Gentile Magi to the continuing witness and ministry of the women. I'm sure the Harrowing can get a look in as that hellish place, teeming with wounded people, is completely and utterly destroyed. Contrast the closed doors of the upper room with the destroyed gates of hell. Though he is incredulous at the resurrection of Jesus, at the resurrection of Lazarus, Thomas is willing go with Jesus to his death, and urges the other disciples so. That's just off the top of my head.

It must have been a bitch in the olden days, forty years ago, when the church universal had a one-year lectionary. I wonder whatever do the Orthodox do?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I preached this morning. Didn't get as far as Thomas tho. All about "peace be with you"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Ian J.

I don't know if this is where the 'low' in 'Low Sunday' comes from - as I say, I've heard other explanations! - but it would certainly seem appropriate for today, numbers low by our usual Sunday standards and certainly compared to last week's packed house.
That's the explanation I've heard. We had half the crowd from Easter but still most of our regulars were there. So not so "low" really.

Hart and TSA, your posts above on preaching Thomas are wonderful. Thank you.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our parish had just one service rather than its usual four; plus a baptism. This resulted in a very large attendance of about 400 rather than the total of about 300 at the usual four services. I think the concept of Low (attendance) Sunday was put to rest.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
We had half the crowd from Easter but still most of our regulars were there. So not so "low" really.

That was true for us too, although we were less than half of Easter. (Fortunately, we were shocked by a very high Easter attendance. Unfortunately, we must have scared them away.)

"Low Sunday" was never mentioned, but to be fair I don't typically hear it in Lutheran circles.

[ 15. April 2012, 22:31: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Low Sunday was low numerically as well -- we usually have a very healthy Sunday turnout, but this morning you could hear crickets in the sanctuary.;-)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else ever heard of this Sunday described as "Holy Hilarity Sunday"? One Lutheran pastor I had some years back used the sermon time simply to tell religious jokes -- and insisted this was an ancient tradition in the church.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard about that a few years ago but not much since, so I assume that it didn't gain a lot of traction.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Low Sunday is always scrupulously referred to by me as Easter I. For us it was depressingly or reassuringly normal - depending on your outlook.

We had a total 39 at our two Masses, which is low side of average, but they broke down differently to usual. Instead of the usual 3-1 split in favour of the later service it was more like 5-3 which made the early service seem much busier than usual.

The vestry meeting between services was tiresome as there was something of a "dead nags' Derby" of pet peeves and projects. I had a hard time keeping them on course without loosing my temper.

PD

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe because I grew up very low church, I never heard of Low Sunday as a name on a liturgical calendar, only as reference to predictable low attendance Sundays -- Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Christmas, New Years Day if it is a Sunday, perhaps one or two others -- is the first Sunday after school lets out a low attendance Sunday?

Church where I'm doing choir 'til summer (half the alto section is out sick, so I'm subbing), had such low attendance this morning I was startled. Probably half of the usual, 1/4 of Easter Sunday. Then I remembered it's a low Sunday, i.e. normal for the placement in the year.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

The traditional 'low Sundays' here are

The Sunday before or after Christmas - if Christmas is within two days

Memorial Day weekend

Fourth of July weekend if the fourth is observed on either Friday or Monday.

Labor Day weekend

The Sunday after Thanksgiving

The three summer public holidays can result in a Sunday in which we are light on regulars and heavy on visitors. The absolutely worst attendance of the year is usually the Sunday after Thanksgiving. For us Easter I/Low Sunday is business as usual after the High Celebration and all the trimmings over Easter, not attendance-wise.

PD

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our preacher today said that Low Sunday is so called because those baptized on the Easter Vigil were given all of Easter week to celebrate their baptism, but Low Sunday marked the end of this celebration.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by sonata3:
Has anyone else ever heard of this Sunday described as "Holy Hilarity Sunday"? One Lutheran pastor I had some years back used the sermon time simply to tell religious jokes -- and insisted this was an ancient tradition in the church.

No, I haven't. I'm glad I wasn't present at the service you describe.

I wonder if "Low Sunday" is a purely English term?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only ever heard of it called Low Sunday. Numbers were certainly low at Llandaff Cathedral as the choir and sunday school were both on holiday. It also meant the volume of singing was low as well.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Right. Looking up my battered copy of the Daily Missal, ed Dom Gaspar Lefevbre OSB 1924, I read:

Low Sunday or Octave of Easter

Low Sunday, so called in order to emphasise the contrast between the great Easter solemnity and the Sunday which ends the Octave, is also known as Quasimodo from the first words of the Introit. In the Latin Missal and Breviary it is called Domenica in Albis.. Another Latin name, Pascha clausum in preserved in the French Paques closes.

[ 16. April 2012, 08:06: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Maybe because I grew up very low church, I never heard of Low Sunday as a name on a liturgical calendar, only as reference to predictable low attendance Sundays

Same here. We managed to avoid the low attendance this year because it was our chaplain's last Sunday with us, so quite a few folks turned up to say goodbye to him. I don't think we can manage the same trick next year though.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Divine Mercy Sunday was a big to-do at our shack (and any number of others in the area). After our 11:30AM Solemn Mass, we had a pot-luck luncheon in our hall, which was still decorated from a rather large parish wedding the day before.

At 2PM the priest went back into the box to hear more confessions until 3PM, which Our Lord told St. Faustina is the Hour of Mercy. At that time the Divine Mercy image was blessed and the chaplet sung (to the familiar traditional setting previously used on EWTN), led by our deacon. We are fortunate to have a first-class relic of St. Faustina, so the day's events were concluded by the faithful venerating the relic.

[ 16. April 2012, 11:53: Message edited by: Ceremoniar ]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

And I read this in Liturgy and Worship, A Companion to the Prayer Books of the Anglican Communion, ed Lowther Clarke, 1st ed 1932.

Low Sunday is derived from Laudes, the first word of the old Sequence.

That doesn't sound convincing. There is no sequence that day in the Roman missal. The obvious sequence to have is the one for Easter Day, Victimae paschale laudes, in which case the Sunday is named after the third word of the sequence, which sounds odd.

Alternatively there was a Sarum sequence for the day, beginning "Laudes", which would suggest that it was an exclusively English usage.

In which case, I'm surprised Dom Gaspar included the title. The Daily Missal suggestion seems more convincing.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Alternatively there was a Sarum sequence for the day, beginning "Laudes", which would suggest that it was an exclusively English usage.

Are you sure it is just a Sarum sequence, or is it one of the many pan-Western sequences whose suppression by the Council of Trent Roman Catholics (but not Anglicans) must accept?

The English hymnal provides at least one example of such a sequence, Laetabundus for Christmas. This is no longer usable by most of the Roman Catholic church. However, because the author was a Praemonstratensian, it is allowed to the Norbertine order.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just got back from church. I went to a nearby old fashioned place (I have been to mass five times in the last two weeks at my usual place, so I hope I wasn't being frivolous.)

I was handed a BCP and the gospel there stops short of the appearance to Thomas. In fact, as the gospel was read from English Missal, the reading continued to describe Thomas.

Live and learn.

Until discovering this for myself, I had wondered why some of the minor propers refer to St Thomas, and why the Hymnal 1940 suggests the verses of O Filii et filiae that refer to Thomas as appropriate for Low Sunday.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I read this in Liturgy and Worship, A Companion to the Prayer Books of the Anglican Communion, ed Lowther Clarke, 1st ed 1932.

Low Sunday is derived from Laudes, the first word of the old Sequence.

That doesn't sound convincing. There is no sequence that day in the Roman missal. The obvious sequence to have is the one for Easter Day, Victimae paschale laudes, in which case the Sunday is named after the third word of the sequence, which sounds odd.

In which case, I'm surprised Dom Gaspar included the title. The Daily Missal suggestion seems more convincing.

Unless your Missal predates Pius V, it will likely have only 5 sequences in it. There were, prior to Trent, dozens and dozens of them, for all sorts of feasts.

And Alogon, "Laetabundus" is also in the Dominican Missal!

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

Whatever's in a name, I'm sure hoping the aforesaid Mercy is still available to us lowly sinners down below. [Votive]

--------------------
Well...

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:

Are you sure it is just a Sarum sequence, or is it one of the many pan-Western sequences whose suppression by the Council of Trent Roman Catholics (but not Anglicans) must accept?
I suspect it never existed and the pre-Tridentine sequence for the day was Victimae paschali laudes.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

... and that Dom Gaspar is right (low because not so high), and the derivation from laudes is an etiological myth.

--------------------

Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christ is risen!
In the Orthodox Pentecostarion,the Sunday in question is titled the Sunday of Thomas or Antipascha. Its Office has peculiarities, such that the first Sunday after Pascha with full Paschal features, apart from Pascha Itself, is the next Sunday: that of the Myrrhbearing Women. To the best of my knowlege all the churches, East and West, recall the appearance of our Lord to Thomas on that Sunday. The Armenians and Copts certainly do so.
I grew up when the Latin Church, and all western liturgical churches, had but a single set of readings for the Sundays of the year. That did not prevent, I think, good sermons, creative sermons, thoughtful sermons from being preached no more than it does in Orthodoxy. The only Sunday that preachers dreaded was the one in the post-Pentecost season where the Gospel advises that we make friends with the Mammon of Iniquity: what to make of that was a constant worry.
Anyhow, IMHO, the main point of preaching is not so much explication of the text (which I for one love doing) as deriving from the text application, in the ideal instance, relevant to the concrete congregation being addressed. I know of one Anglican theologian who, on that basis, refused all offers as a guest preacher: he did not know the congregation personally. Preaching requires prayer and reflection: the richness of the Gospels, of course, is no small assistance. Above all else, the preacher, in spiritu humilitatis, should not aim at originality but rather at useful insights. Originality is a modern notion, coming into being at the same time as copyrights. For the ancients and medievals, truth was common property, which they borrowed from each other without use of footnotes.

Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I preached this morning. Didn't get as far as Thomas tho. All about "peace be with you"

I preached too, about Thomas and how he got a second chance to see Jesus. [Smile]
I admit I was kind of glad it was "low" Sunday. A full church would have made me nervous! I'm still a novice preacher.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it is still the Easter Octave.

For some - perhaps me included - that pericope is one of the most important and moving accounts read in the whole of Eastertide.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

The cross and wounds, the resurrection, the Incarnation ("my Lord and my God"), the mission of the church ("blessed are those who have not seen").

The whole Christian message is there.

Not to mention consistency with the ancient church, East and West.

And the Book of Common Prayer omitted it.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
Whatever's in a name, I'm sure hoping the aforesaid Mercy is still available to us lowly sinners down below. [Votive]

Indeed, Sir P., and more than one Sunday a year.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sonata3:

No, I haven't. I'm glad I wasn't present at the service you describe.

I wonder if "Low Sunday" is a purely English term?

Nope, I was entirely familiar with it as an American Presbyterian.

Our programs last week said "Thomas Sunday" (after the Gospel of the day) although one of the items on our annual report to the Diocese says "Low Sunday attendance". So both terms are in use in TEC.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016