homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rogation Sunday and season

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Rogation Sunday and season
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sunday before Ascension was Rogation Sunday, and the RCL lectionary reflects the tradition.

Did anyone do anything about this?

My only experience was as a teenager at the MOTR once-a-month eucharist church I went to occasionally with my parents. It is the only church I've regularly attended within a few minutes' walk of any agricultural fields. After the service we walked there and sang "We plough the fields and scatter" to the accompaniment of a piano accordion.

I'm told "We plough the fields" is more appropriate for Rogation than Harvest (when the seed will have been scattered some time previously).

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found in the bilges some of the annual reappearances of this seasonal topic.

here
and here

We'll walk the boundaries of this urban parish after Mass on Sunday. There'll about 8 stations to pray for God's blessing on the various areas, premises and activities that we will pass with a V+R and Collect. And I think a pub lunch at the end might be in keeping with the spirit of Rogationtide!

Any other good ideas out there?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church I mystery worshipped observed Rogation; the sermon talked about the history and then why we should observe it now. Great sermon, just spoken way too quickly.

I've never done much with Rogation before, but I'm going to take a closer look at it and see how to incorporate it into the things I do. I think it will be useful.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The neighbouring parish still walked the full 19 miles in one go, followed by a rogationtide service.

My house lies within a 16 mile parish boundary. Fortunately, this year, the walk has been divided into 4 stages, so I don't have to do the 16 miles in one day (although I have done in the past). On the first stage, the grandson of one of the bell ringers beat the boundary stone with a bunch of hazel twigs. There is no service at the end of each stage, although strangely two of the walks conveniently end up at a cafe. What planning!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the anthem at Choral Evensong, I led prayers for agriculture, industry and commerce.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's pretty much what I've observed leo - some mention in the intercessions and that is about it. I've never worshipped regularly at a rural parish nor participated in any bound-beating, much as I would like to - in Ireland the Anglican parishes are so vast it would probably mean a twenty mile hike in the rain which isn't everyone's idea of fun!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
That's pretty much what I've observed leo - some mention in the intercessions and that is about it. I've never worshipped regularly at a rural parish nor participated in any bound-beating, much as I would like to - in Ireland the Anglican parishes are so vast it would probably mean a twenty mile hike in the rain which isn't everyone's idea of fun!

If we tried to beat the bounds here (unlikely as no substantial Anglican presence at the moment), we'd be looking at around 40+ miles, depending on how precise you wanted to be about all the different bays and headlands.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our only Rogation-related bit was a sort-of reference in one of the hymns.
Our three-fold lectionary doesn't seem to consider Rogations, either.
And in TEC it would, I think, be unusual to find any beating of the bounds, as most parishes have no defined boundaries.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our 'stock' prayers of intercession always include a petition for good stewardship of the earth, so I took the liberty of amping that petition up a notch with some material from the Episcopal Church's Book of Occasional Services. I also used a rogation-related collect at the end of the prayers.

Last year we managed to sing [our newfangled gender neutral] version of All creatures of our God and King. A problem that we ran into was that the Ascension hymn A hymn of glory let us sing is set to the exact same tune, LASST UNS ERFREUEN, so we ended up singing that same tune two Sundays in a row.

This year Rogation was a bit more downplayed. It hasn't really caught on amongst the clergy around here yet, most of whom have raised an eyebrow in an I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about fashion when it has been mentioned. It is more of an English tradition, perhaps, but it makes perfect sense this time of the year in this community, is backed by the denom's resources, and for those reasons I do think it will eventually catch on.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rogation Monday through Wednesday has its own propers in the US 1928 BCP, so they will be used again this year. We usually begin the Communion service by dragging the Litany out of mothballs on Rogation and Ember Days. I have now been doing it long enough that one of my lay readers - the one who is actually aware of his surroundings - asked if we were doing the Litany tomorrow.

PD

(edited for silly typo)

[ 15. May 2012, 21:32: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was young and pious, we kept coffee hour in a lovely orchard which belonged to a family in the parish. We car pooled from the church in town to the orchard some ten minutes away, sang a bit of a litany, used some holy water and incense, and followed it up with cider and cakes. I remember the orchard owner telling the rector, “Dammit, Father, you didn’t pray for frost. I knew I didn’t like the new Prayer Book.”

My present parish “beating the bounds” by strolling around a half a city block seems puny by comparison. I’m not sure how else a downtown parish should keep Rogation Sunday.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 'home parish' is by the sea. Back in the 1960s we used to sing the litany in procession down to the harbourside and then pray for 'the harvest of the sea' as the fishing boats bobbed up and down.

I have just looked at their website and discovered that they don't do anything like that any more.l

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We piped the bounds rather then beating them in my parish last Sunday. The bounds in question were those of our parish's property, which includes a small park which is owned by the church but open to the public. The piping took the form of an outdoor procession led by a bagpiper, followed by a crucifer, thurifer, deacon, priest, and two members of the chior. We had a litany at each station, concluding at the final station with a collect, and the blessing of a wheelbarrow full of soil for parishoners to take home "for your garden".

We are a parish in the county seat town of a primarily rural county, which is as rural as TEC tends to get in my area. Churches in the fields or the villages are usuall Methodist, Baptist, and occasionally Presbyterian in the areas settled by Americans, and Methodist, Lutheran, and UCC in areas settled by Germans. Our parish has a few farm families in the membership, but they are not a majority. On the other hand I think that almost everyone in the parish has a vegetable garden. I ought to start one.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just had a huge "Aha!" Forgive me for being slow on the uptake. My TEC parish does nothing for Rotation Day. However, we have a huge, multi-day Plant Sale fundraiser this time of year. It's a Big Deal™. We may be a long distance (in time and space) from an agrarian culture, but there we are, with the church grounds covered with flats and pots and baskets, hundreds of things waiting to be put into the ground. How could we have missed the connection?!? [Disappointed] Perhaps next year we could do something ... (shock) liturgical ... at the church Plant Sale.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Strangely Warmed
Apprentice
# 13188

- Posted      Profile for Strangely Warmed   Email Strangely Warmed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our urban parish observed Rogation once in recent times, with a bicycle procession around the parish, stopping for prayers at, roughly, each of the four corners of our more-or-less square parish. A smoking thurible dangled off the back of one of the bikes.

This year it was observed in name only, duly noted as the title of the day, but the impending Ascension and reflections on the Diocesan synod of the previous two days occupied the sermon time.

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used the CW propers for Rogationtide at Mass on Sunday and then went out into the churchyard for the CW Litany. As a town-centre parish 'beating the bounds' could be a bit iffy - walking down the middle of a busy trunk road or the railway line.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of our bounds are down the centre of a river. But fortunately there is a footpath either side. My dedication doesn't stretch THAT far, even if it is hot weather.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the U.S. it was Mother's Day. There is a dearth of appropriate hymns in the hymnal. Mother's Day is not on the liturgical calendar. Churches which make a big deal of it are silly (IMHO), especially when their ostensible rationale for ignoring most of the traditional church calendar is that nothing should dilute or contaminate the primacy of Sunday as The Lord's Day. But I do like to give a nod to nearby secular holidays with an allusive hymn when possible. So the coincidence of Mother's Day and Rogation Sunday at least allows us to sing about Mother Earth.

A good Rogation Sunday hymn is "Father, we thank
Thee, Who hast planted". The text is from the Didache. Therefore, aside from those which use or paraphrase lengthy scripture passages, it is the oldest hymn in the hymnal.

Although it doesn't have anything to do with planting crops, the proper introit is "With a voice of singing, declare ye this...". If Martin Shaw's anthem with this text is in your choir's repertoire, this would be the best time to get it out.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry to say that in England Mothering Sunday is always the Fourth Sunday in Lent. Lent is tending to be forgotten...

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishops of Southwark and London have sometimes done little ceremonies halfway across London Bridge. And I think the Dean of Southwark Cathedral and the Rector of St Magnus the Martyr do it quite regularly. No idea if it happend this year though.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we can look on the good side. To observe any secular holiday on a floating basis, according to the church's complex algorithm for finding the date of Easter, evinces considerably more patience with ecclesiastical ways than we would find in the U.S. In the book Calendrical Calculation, which is basically for computer programmers but also offers fascinating cultural background, we read that this algorithm, and the clergy's need for it in order to do their job, singlehandedly kept mathematics alive on the frontiers of Christendom in the dark ages.

--------------------

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to do Rogation Sunday with a "beating of the bounds" in our benefice but it fell by the wayside. "Beating of the bounds" has since been revived but at another time of year when the weather is deemed to be more reliable.

A cathedral local to me does have a Rogation Service and walk but I've noticed in recent years that they've done it on the Fifth Sunday of Easter, i.e the Fourth Sunday after Easter, rather than on the Fifth Sunday after Easter. Whether there's a practical reason behind that or it's down to the unhappy confusions caused by the Common Worship calendar, I don't know.

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
the unhappy confusions caused by the Common Worship calendar, I don't know.

You could just as well say the unhappy confusions are caused by certain peoples' bloody-minded attachment to a misleading system. Sundays in Eastertide are not 'after' Easter because they are still in it.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
We used the CW propers for Rogationtide at Mass on Sunday

Other than Easter 6? Or is there something in the Agricultural section of Times and Seasons?

How does it fit in with Easter 6, since that is not to be replaced?

Just curious, not criticizing.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
A cathedral local to me does have a Rogation Service and walk but I've noticed in recent years that they've done it on the Fifth Sunday of Easter, i.e the Fourth Sunday after Easter, rather than on the Fifth Sunday after Easter. Whether there's a practical reason behind that or it's down to the unhappy confusions caused by the Common Worship calendar, I don't know.

The super-green would probably put it down to global warming. [Big Grin]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
the unhappy confusions caused by the Common Worship calendar, I don't know.

You could just as well say the unhappy confusions are caused by certain peoples' bloody-minded attachment to a misleading system. Sundays in Eastertide are not 'after' Easter because they are still in it.
Yes. But I still get confused by the different numbering.

As for rogation propers, they appear in my (Church House) lectionary for the Monday only.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I find it more helpful to think of Rogation as before Ascension instead of after Easter.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

The only beating of the bounds I've attended was ON Ascension Day at All Hallows by the Tower.

Since the boundary runs through the Thames, we got into two boats and on one of them a small boy was held upside down over the side of the boat so he could beat the hell out of the boat with his cane.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The only beating of the bounds I've attended was ON Ascension Day at All Hallows by the Tower.

Since the boundary runs through the Thames, we got into two boats and on one of them a small boy was held upside down over the side of the boat so he could beat the hell out of the boat with his cane.

Yes! In ye olde days the priest beat the hell out of a BOY with a cane.

I think Child Protection probably has something to say about this custom.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

The kid looked pretty nerve-wracked held upside down over the side of the boat by a vicar and cap'n both wearing Mae Wests.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The Sunday before Ascension was Rogation Sunday, and the RCL lectionary reflects the tradition.

I was talking through my hat.

The old gospel for the day included Christ's promise at John 16.23 Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

This reading is in none of the three years.

An ingenious preacher might make something of "bear much fruit" this year.

--------------------

Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my urban Episcopal parish, we concluded on Sunday with a short procession (with "We plough the fields and scatter"!) directly to the garden next to the church, with the celebrant first sprinkling the garden as the choir sang an anthem, and then blessing it with a specific version of the prayer from our Book of Occasional Services. As far as I remember, we didn't use any of the other possible material appointed in that book, probably because we didn't have a long procession.

"Short procession," in other words, means no beating of the bounds; we didn't even go around the block. (I have seen a map before with the apparent boundaries of the parish. If I infer correctly from that, the parish territory isn't very large.)

In our printed announcements, we were also told to pray for these or similar intentions.

I don't remember any commemoration of Rogation-like things at my old parish. I don't know why, though I have a few speculations. (I'll shortly revisit one when I post in the Ascension thread: this parish, probably without making any special effort to, has over time "streamlined" the liturgical year. If we're not going to have much for Ascension, then we're probably not going to have much for Rogation days.)

Posts: 58 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016