homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Maundy Thursday Opening Hymn (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Maundy Thursday Opening Hymn
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every year we struggle to choose decent hymns for Maundy Thursday. Our key "Passion" hymns are used
either on Palm/Passion Sunday or on Good Friday.

The peskiest hymn to choose is the opening hymn.

What are your Maundy Thursday must-have entrance hymns?
What would be your ideal Maundy Thursday hymn?
Any other suggestions or advice?

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy was good for Maundy Thursday. It's not in the Episcopal Hymnal, though, it's a holdover from my Methodist days.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't we discuss this a while back? I recall Triple Tiara insisting that the opening hymn for Holy Thursday be a hymn about the cross. Others thought, "At That First Eucharist."
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All ye who seek a comfort sure"

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year the first hymn was "This is the night, dear friends, the night for weeping", to the tune Intercessor. HymnQuest tells me that the hymn is by Richard Sturch, from the Latin of Peter Abelard.

I expect we'll sing it again this year. I'll also see if we can get the traditional plainsong Ubi Caritas included at some point, though if do sing it I expect it will either be 100% English or else macaronic.

Robin

Posts: 263 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Apologies for double post). In the past, we've sung the Scottish Paraphrase "Twas on that night when doomed to know" to Rockingham, which of course associates the hymn with "When I survey the wondrous Cross".

Robin

Posts: 263 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our "must-haves" is "Around You, O Lord Jesus, Your Own You Gather Still".

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The heavenly Word, proceeding forth
Yet leaving not his Father's side,
And going to his work on earth
Has reached at last life's eventide.

Sung to 'Wareham' - it covers the Last Supper and, being by Thomas Aquinas, has a fine depth of eucharistic theology.

None better!

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tis easy- turn organ off after Gloria

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our opening hymn tends to be "Thou, who at thy first Eucharist didst pray" to the tune Song 1 by Gibbons.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Tis easy- turn organ off after Gloria

Even in churches I've attended where this has happened, it has never meant the end of hymn-singing. They are simply sung without accompaniment.

Besides, we don't use the Gloria on Maundy Thursday. (At one time I supported its absence, but it use has grown on me, and I can still feel the chills down my spine of the hollow bell-ringing followed by a nice minor-key Gloria.)

[ 11. March 2012, 21:21: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the Anglo-catholic churches I've been involved with have had Eucharistic hymns throughout the Maundy Thursday Mass. It would probably be good to have something relating to the foot-washing as well but I don't really know any along those lines!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maundy Thursday isn't Corpus Christi, so plain eucharistic hymns aren't enough, I'd suggest.

Something about service, about sacrifice or about priesthood?

The Taize Ubi caritas during the foot washing always got me: it was the only bit of singing in the year at my last church that wasn't a metric hymn or the common of the mass.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
George6833
Apprentice
# 14995

- Posted      Profile for George6833   Email George6833   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please don't forget to add "Ah Holy Jesu" 'Herzliebster Jesu' Episcopal Hymnal 1940 # 71, 1982 #158. Very middle of the road as far as Holy Week goes, bridging Plam Sunday, yet not quite getting into the gore of Good Friday. Always gets me to think. Excellent for the end of the stripping of the altar,or ommiting that, an excellent recessional, then ending in silence.

--------------------
Keep what is Holy, Holy.
Wholly keep our creation sacred.

Posts: 28 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, George. "Ah, Holy Jesus" is a good one. It gets me every time as well. It is powerful, simple, and as you note not full of full-blown Good Friday gore. One of the best Holy Week hymns out there.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We sing the praise of him who died" to Bow Brickhill would be my preferred opener for Maundy Thursday.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years it was "Thou, who at thy first Eucharist" sung to Unde et Memores, but the past three years, it's been Lift High the Cross, with 'Thou, who at thy first Eucharist' at the offertory. It looks like this year we'll have 'Hail True Victim, Life and Light' at the entrance instead.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprised that "Schmuecke dich" has not come up (as an entrance hymn) - particularly if the organist is up to one of Bach's chorale-preludes on that tune.
I worked at a Catholic parish for many years that used the "Gloria in excelsis" as the entrance hymn on this particular day (St. Meinrad Mode VIII).

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George6833:
Please don't forget to add "Ah Holy Jesu" 'Herzliebster Jesu' Episcopal Hymnal 1940 # 71, 1982 #158. Very middle of the road as far as Holy Week goes, bridging Plam Sunday, yet not quite getting into the gore of Good Friday. Always gets me to think. Excellent for the end of the stripping of the altar,or ommiting that, an excellent recessional, then ending in silence.

This has been one of our Good Friday hymns, sung a capella, and it is goosebumps-inducing. This year we have an interim, who deems it necessary to change things just because, and I am hoping this hymn doesn't get lost. (Apologies for the tangent.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MartinL, how about this, Hymn 190 from the 1940 Hymnal:
quote:
Let thy Blood in mercy poured,
      Let thy gracious Body broken,
Be to me, O gracious Lord,
      of thy boundless love the token.
Thou didst give thyself for me,
      Now I give myself to thee.

John Brownlie's 1907 translation from the Greek to Luise, from Johann Crueger's Praxis Pietatis Melica, 1653.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always include (but not as the opening hymn), the hymn "An upper room did our Lord prepare". The words are by Frederick Pratt Green and we usually sing it to the traditional English melody Waly Waly. This fits in very well with the foot washing and leads into the Eucharist celebration.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Great God, your love has called us here' would be eminently suitable as an opening hymn. It's specially set for Maundy Thursday in Common Praise (no. 133), set to Ryburn 88 88 88.

The words are here, although the tune is different to the one I know.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a good one too, Silent Acolyte! The harmony on that is fantastic.
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'My song is love unknown', 'Love is his word, love is his way', 'A new commandment' would all work.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe not an opener, but it isn't Maundy Thursday to me without "Go to dark Gethsemene" to Petra. That's usually our closer right before the stripping of the altar. Our others are the pange lingua and ubi caritas. We open with the chant schola on the introit, so don't have an opening hymn.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once sang this at the start of Maundy Thursday. Words by Luke Cunningham number 185 in1976 Celebration Hymnal

Love is his word, Love is his way,
Feasting with men*, fasting alone,
Living and dying, rising again,
Love only love is his way.
Chorus: Richer than gold is the love of my Lord,
Beter than splendour and wealth

* Whoops. This might rule it out for some.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to thy gracious word - it sets out the intention of the liturgy for that night.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maundy Thursday in our place is generally skewed towards the institution of the Eucharist. The usual opener is

"And now, O Father, mindful of the love that bought us once for all on Calv'ry's tree"

(1940 Hymnal #189)

The Gloria is up front on Maundy Thursday which is not the norm here as we are 1928 BCP.

"Now, my tongue, the mystery telling" (1940 Hymnal #199) is used as the MBS is moved to the altar of repose. We tend to use the organ to support the hymns, but not for the ordinary of the Mass.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'A new commandment' is the anthem we normally sing on Maundy Thursday. (Sheppard, IIRC)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We come as guests invited
when Jesus bids us dine.
His friends on earth united
to share the bread and wine.
The bread of life is broken,
the wine is freely poured
for us, in solemn token
of Christ our dying Lord

the tune is O sacred head so it has wonderful resonances

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely it should be a hymn about the glory of the cross? The Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper (In Coena Domini) is the start of the Paschal Triduum, and the Latin introit Nos autem gloriari....Let us glory in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ...seems to suggest that the Entrance hymn for that liturgy should centre around that theme.

In many churches, the vernacular hymn The Glory of the Cross we sing (Tune Wareham alt. Rockingham, Laudate 238) is sung or more contemporary churches may wish to use Dan Schutte's Let us ever glory in the cross of Christ

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, if I recall correctly, angelicum, your reference to an opening hymn about the cross was the same point that Triple Tiara made on the thread on this subject last year. Technically, I agree that it should be about the cross, but I think most folks think it should be about the Eucharist.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know at the National Shrine in DC, they use a hymn about the cross sung to the tune 'All Saints', or at least in recent years they have. I don't know what it is though, as usually by that point I have to leave for my own church.
Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Didn't we discuss this a while back? I recall Triple Tiara insisting that the opening hymn for Holy Thursday be a hymn about the cross. Others thought, "At That First Eucharist."

I can see the logic of TT's viewpoint as that would be based on the traditional introit for the Maundy Thursday mass, i.e., St. Paul's quote about glorying in the Cross (sorry i don't have the exact citation at hand -- it's past my bedtime). At the same time i can see the logic in a hymn such as "At that First Eucharist"

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Isn't the introit from Galatians, "God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ"?

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I suspect a lot of High Church Anglicans muddle up Maundy Thursday with Corpus Christi, when their congregations wouldn't go much for Corpus Christi.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I suspect a lot of High Church Anglicans muddle up Maundy Thursday with Corpus Christi, when their congregations wouldn't go much for Corpus Christi.

We do Corpus Christi bigtime (Solemn Mass, procession, Benediction), which lets us keep Maundy Thursday very Holy Week-like: red vestments, no Gloria nor bells.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think the distinction is really between the celebration of the Rite of the Eucharist at the first, and an emphasis on the Real Presence of Christ at the latter. Corpus Christi is after all post-Ascension, and a good time to remind ourselves that 'He is with us evermore'. Or this has at any rate between my experience.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by earrings:
We come as guests invited
when Jesus bids us dine.
His friends on earth united
to share the bread and wine.
The bread of life is broken,
[Etc]
the tune is O sacred head so it has wonderful resonances

Yes, very good for any Eucharist, though perhaps not particular to M Thurs. Not my place to argue pros and cons of that.

Purpose of post: this hymn is by Bishop Timothy Dudley Smith and is Copyright. Hope Publishing handle TDS's royalties in US and Can and OUP, I think, in UK.

[ 14. March 2012, 18:21: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a long time the first hymn here has been "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" which is fine except for the last verse which features three [Paranoid] Alleluias [Paranoid] in succession. It's an unexpected lapse.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
For a long time the first hymn here has been "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" which is fine except for the last verse which features three [Paranoid] Alleluias [Paranoid] in succession. It's an unexpected lapse.

I think the stupendous magnificence and utter appropriateness of that song overrules any old superstitions about not singing hallelujah in Lent. (Which most people will never have heard of anyway)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

"Let all mortal flesh" is a translation of the offertory chant in, I believe, the Liturgy of St James, which being Orthodox doesn't omit alleluia during Lent.

Ken - "custom" or "tradition" would be a softer, accurate and more diplomatic word than "superstition".

--------------------

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think most High Anglicans and Anglo-Catholics have different emphases for the two feasts. Maundy Thursday is about the institution of the Eucharist; Corpus Christi about the Real Presence.

However, Maundy Thursday in the newer rites can be a bit overloaded with the foot washing in addition to the institution of the Eucharist and the Stripping of Altars. It takes quite a bit of care to bring it off in the new rite, which is why I stick to the old!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ken - "custom" or "tradition" would be a softer, accurate and more diplomatic word than "superstition".

Ken's usually (but not always) accurate, but soft and diplomatic are not epithets that spring to mind. Thank God.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
However, Maundy Thursday in the newer rites can be a bit overloaded with the foot washing in addition to the institution of the Eucharist and the Stripping of Altars.
PD

Stripping of the Altars as a public act are not part of the newer Roman rite. But I might start another thread about this.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We follow the CW custom of receiving the oils blessed at the Chrism Mass, so, with a slight tweak to the second verse to help it fit the context, we begin with "Blest by the sun, the olive tree".

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashworth
Shipmate
# 12645

- Posted      Profile for Ashworth   Email Ashworth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We usually go relatively modern for our selection of hymns on Maundy Thursday. That is if you can still call hymns from the 1970's and 1980's modern!

This year we are having the following:
Introit: Love is his word, love is his way
Gradual: A new commandment I give unto you
After Footwashing: Meekness and majesty
Offertory: Here is bread, here is wine
During Communion: This is my body, broken for you.

However we always sing the tradional 'Of the glorious body telling' during the Procession of the Blessed Sacrament to the Altar of Repose. This is then followed by the singing of Psalm 22 during the stripping of the altar etc.

Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd recommend Isaac Watts' Lo! The Destroying Angel Flies. It puts a nice emphasis on what a Passover meal was about, rather than the risk of an all too trivial "he had supper with his friends" interpretation.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our customary opening hymn on MT is Patrick Appleford's Lord Jesus Christ, you have come to us, followed by:

Taize chant Ubi caritas during the Washing of Feet
Love is his word, love is his wayfor the Offertory
John Bell's Bread is blessed and broken during Communion
and (of course)
Now, my tongue, the myst'ry telling for the Procession to the Altar of Repose

BTW, I am praying earnestly to the Lord that as many of our peeps as possible attend the MT Mass - previous years have been a bit thin......

Ian J.

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does nobody sing "Into one we all are gathered" any more? It can be a bit rumty-tum if it gets out of hand, but with a sensitive music leader, and sung more slowly and quietly than usual, it's a good opener and sets the mood nicely.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016