homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wee cuppies with a twist (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wee cuppies with a twist
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets better: wine-infused wafers.

Thanks to some friends on the book of face. You know who you are.

[ 02. May 2012, 23:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my. Obviously those will not be usable by some of us.

Now all they need is a Vegas-style dealing apparatus..press a button, aim, and the host shoots into the mouth of the communicant.* No more would we be subjected to those icky ordinary and extraordinary minister germs.

*Oh, wait, flashback moment.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But do they come in individual hermetically sealed packages?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

Now all they need is a Vegas-style dealing apparatus..press a button, aim, and the host shoots into the mouth of the communicant.* No more would we be subjected to those icky ordinary and extraordinary minister germs.

And it comes in real silver plate, too!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like Donald Trump's Pez dispenser.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

And it comes in real silver plate, too!
I keep looking at those and expecting quarters to come out of them.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of this sort of thing before and 'horrific' is the word which springs to mind. There is a website which, I believe, goes by the name of "Something Awful" and this would, I think be a prime candidate for it. Quite apart from the bad theology behind prepackaged 'wee cuppies' it's impossible not to contemplate with dread how the question of the ablutions would be tackled.

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cuppies look like jello pudding snack for kids!

I didn't see any cheese on offer. I guess, depending on denomination, actual cheese will be present, or present in a spiritual sense.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rhflan
Shipmate
# 17092

- Posted      Profile for rhflan   Author's homepage   Email rhflan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard chaplains on the front lines say positive things about them...just b/c they make things a little easier on them. I always feel odd using them in a normal/typical church service though.

I think that they might also be helpful if a minister wanted to go to a hospital or nursing home to share communion there to use something like that.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/rhflan

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I can see some unusual circumstances where the prepackaged elements *might* make sense; upthread, a large-scale Scouting event, with thousands of people, many of them dirty, seems to be one of those reasonable exceptions. But the intense focus on sanitation surrounding these products strikes me as overly fussy. And the wine-infused wafers is Just Wrong. Wronger than a Wrong Thing that is Mistaken (to borrow a phrase from the blessed Gator herself).

quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
... it's impossible not to contemplate with dread how the question of the ablutions would be tackled.

I would hope it includes some attempt to gather and responsibly dispose of all the waste generated by these things.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are wine-infused wafers even valid matter? I would have thought that it was doubtful at best...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pre-intincted wafers? When it is unclear what exactly you mean when you said "This is My Body" and "This is My Blood" you should probably not use this product.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeffTL
Apprentice
# 16722

- Posted      Profile for JeffTL   Email JeffTL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Are wine-infused wafers even valid matter? I would have thought that it was doubtful at best...

I don't really see how it could be. There's no precedent in 2000 years of Christian history for replacing bread and wine with wine-flavored bread, which is what this is seems to be. At minimum its use in a church that mandates the people's access to the chalice would be illicit.
Posts: 49 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I'm trying to work through that question, too, and even though I find much to criticize about the product, I have to ask whether -- in terms of wine-infused bread being valid -- does it really differ from a wafer that has been intincted? Could one not say, "The body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ (etc)" as one does after intincting?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Intinction though takes place following the consecration. It, of course, depends what framework you use to talk about validity but often one of the criteria is that is be wheat bread without adulteration - so the addition of other non-usual ingredients can render it invalid matter for consecration. I would have thought that wine might will be such an ingredient.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

That makes sense. I also wonder if these types of products are typically used by churches that hold to a strictly memorialist view of the Eucharist. That means I'm also assuming they would not have the same concerns about the way the elements were made, and I may be incorrect on that.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

I suspect you're right there. Speaking personally, I would be extremely reluctant to use such things anywhere I had responsibility.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
That makes sense. I also wonder if these types of products are typically used by churches that hold to a strictly memorialist view of the Eucharist. That means I'm also assuming they would not have the same concerns about the way the elements were made, and I may be incorrect on that.

I obviously can't speak for everybody but yes for many memorialists it would be a concern.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memorialism has a high correlation with grape-juice affinity, so this product would be out on those grounds.

Speaking as the Elder in charge of organizing Communion for my church, I'd never let this product in the building and the minister himself would refuse to use it.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Memorialism has a high correlation with grape-juice affinity, so this product would be out on those grounds.

It's alcohol-free "wine."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno . . . those silver-plated disc dispensers look a lot like the change holders carhops and diner waitresses carry. I guess that, if I show up next Sunday with a loaf and bottle, I'll get my change in presoaked wafers.

And, while most memorialists don't care what the matter is, at least not on theological grounds (grape juice and gluten-free wafers are options at the church I go to), even we can draw lines based on good taste and appropriateness to the situation. Sure, there may be allowances made during Youth Sunday, when there just isn't any grape juice during a retreat, or other extenuating circumstances, but this isn't even putting forth a good faith effort. If it smacks of laziness, lack of care, or mass processing, it's probably not worth it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I am going to need a cup of gin to recover from this one. There is something about pre-intincted wafers and non-alcoholic "wine" - which, unless it is mustum, is invalid matter in my denom anyway - which induces a severe shock to the system.

Now, where's the gin...

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

And, while most memorialists don't care what the matter is, at least not on theological grounds (grape juice and gluten-free wafers are options at the church I go to), even we can draw lines based on good taste and appropriateness to the situation. Sure, there may be allowances made during Youth Sunday, when there just isn't any grape juice during a retreat, or other extenuating circumstances, but this isn't even putting forth a good faith effort. If it smacks of laziness, lack of care, or mass processing, it's probably not worth it.

I think "most" is a bit of a stretch. At least in the United States there are plenty of memorialists who, holding to a form of the regulative principle, would insist on unleavened bread and juice or wine served seperately and in that particular order. Scriptural warrant, not good taste, would be the overriding principle.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JSwift

Have you never heard of "due order", which is perhaps "taste" by any other name in these circumstances. It basically means things need to be done properly. That goes for communion, but also for the passing of the budget or the calling of a minister.

Presbyterian tend to be very strong on it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016