homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Raindrops keep falling on my head (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Raindrops keep falling on my head
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter Sunday, as well as being a celebration of Jesus' resurrection, is also often the time to renew baptism vows. I also observed a very clear case of 'Asperges Syndrome', characterised by an irresistible urge by priests, deacons, readers to slosh water all over the congregation - way more than is necessary, with wicked grins on their faces, and especially enjoying soaking the choir. At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).

Does your church take part in these or other rituals associated with baptism vow renewals?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).

Does your church take part in these or other rituals associated with baptism vow renewals?

Please tell me you're joking about the organ accompaniment? I'm all for humour but that's not funny('twould be if the roof had a leak and rain was coming in) and just seems to be ridiculing a church tradition or trivialising the renewal of baptism vows.

At our shack we were sprinkled and after renewing my baptism vows I'd have found it very disconcerting to be serenaded by raindrops keep falling on my head [Projectile]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I'm not joking. Our church has a bit of a reputation of treading close to the line between light humour and sending up. Opinions vary as to when the line gets crossed. Usually, any musical references are more subtle, but often spotted by the choir. This time, the reference wasn't subtle at all.

(Our roof does need repair btw, and we sometimes need a bucket for drips - anyone got a spare £million? - but on Easter Day it wasn't raining outside, only 'inside').

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds really trite.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, the Asperges - yes. The trick is to sit in the middle of a pew rather than at one of the ends - which is where I'd always try to sit so I suppose it was my own fault, but I remember thinking, "I washed my hair just before I came here, I don't need it done again, thanks", as a large shower of indoor rain came my way.

Looking around, you could see, if you looked closely, where the water from previous years had spoilt the varnish on the pews, which were spotted with watermarks.

The last time, I was prepared for this, all seemed to be going well and I thought I'd got off lightly, but somehow the priest managed to send a dollop my way that went right into my eye. He processed down the aisle in stately fashion soaking the congregation as he went, while I frantically scrabbled for a handkerchief and missed the next 10 minutes or so. Holy water or not, it stung.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only wish we were asperged. My last church we sprinkled in the penitential rite every Sunday in Eastertide.

Why smirk when we are symbolically going through the dark waters of death?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete and I were the only two foreigners there on Sunday and I think he wanted us to feel included so we each got a special dousing all of our own.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to come in for an extra special dousing wherever I happen to be if asperging is taking place. Can't think what I do to deserve it... [Roll Eyes]

I did feel quite cheated this year that we all queued up at the font and blessed ourselves with holy water. Less messy and more seemly, maybe, but lacking the over-the-top-ness of the liturgy that I so enjoy. (We didn't make a lot of noise at the Gloria either, but that's maybe another thread!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was rather surprised that at the (fairly up-the-candle) vigil I attended, the congregation weren't aspersed (asperged?) but instead invited to come to the font one by one and sign themselves with the blessed water. I suppose it made for a more solemn and thoughtful mood, but I think a bit of jollity is well in keeping with the Easter joy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Pete and I were the only two foreigners there on Sunday and I think he wanted us to feel included so we each got a special dousing all of our own.

Yeah, it woke you up really suddenly from your nap!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chorister: At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).
At my parents' church, there used to be an organ player who would do this kind of musical jokes. I find that the fun of this wears off quite quickly.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).

Shouldn't you have been singing the Vidi Aquam?

Robin

Posts: 263 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Yeah, it woke you up really suddenly from your nap!
If you continue to commit calumnies like that I shall be forced to post what you said last night! I am sure the Tans-Tasman folks will be understanding [Snigger]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours has been much more restrained in recent years. Two years ago, the priest decided to use a brush, something we generally don't use, and managed to soak completely in water half of his chasuble and the MC who was holding the chasuble out of his arm's way.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as most problems with incense actually seem to be problems with the charcoal, I find myself wondering whether Ariel's problems with holy water are in fact problems with the quantity of salt in it.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been awhile since I was aspersed, and I've never been vidi-aqua'd at all! [Ultra confused] However, when it has happened, the amount of water has been rather nugatory, disappointingly so in fact. I'd say this is something that varies from priest to priest rather than being a general trend to douse...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No doubt the climate makes up for it. [Biased]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I was rather surprised that at the (fairly up-the-candle) vigil I attended, the congregation weren't aspersed (asperged?) but instead invited to come to the font one by one and sign themselves with the blessed water. I suppose it made for a more solemn and thoughtful mood, but I think a bit of jollity is well in keeping with the Easter joy.

We used to do the dipping finger into font thing but we have gone back to sprinkling. Our vicar did it with such a vengeance that the paschal candle I was holding nearly got extinguished.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good Lord yes! I'm inclined to think that the symbolism of sprinkling makes a lot more sense in the Middle East or Rome or other places where one isn't being continually being sprinkled by the atmosphere...

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Sounds really trite.

This is the danger.

The major festivals are supposed to be enjoyable, but also meaningful. A difficult balance to achieve.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the opening post was a joke 'til the rest of you chimed in. Never heard of such a thing. Never. Not a hint of it.

Never heard of renewal of baptism vows as an Easter thing but it wouldn't alarm me, baptism vows are renewed any time someone else is baptized but people don't get re-sprinkled!

Water spotting the varnish, water damaging expensive bibles and hymnals, water spotting fine Easter clothes, I thought I'd heard it all by now but this one startles me as much as some of the stranger pentecostal practices.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Organist playing 'rains drops keep falling on my head' crosses a few lines for me. It would have earned him a dirty look at the time, and two reamings out; one for the playing such a trite ditty at Mass; the second for giving me an earworm!

I use the bundle of twigs we use for washing the altar for asperging the congregation at the Vigil. I don't think I tend to overdo it, though one of the servers a brush full this time.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got sprinkled by the bishop as usual at Southwark Cathedral on Saturday evening. The new bishop doesn't seem quite as gung ho about it as the previous one who looked as if it was the bit of bishoping he enjoyed most and walked all over the cathedral making sure everyone got a bit of water. No hiding in the middle of the pews from him. He could swing a mean bunch of hyssop (or whatever it is they use).

And have you any idea how long thirty baptisms and ninety confirmations takes? At least that what the service sheet said, I think they sneaked a few more in at the last minute...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use a proper aspergillium with the vidi aquam and it was delightful. Our priest is normally good with water volume but both at the Vigil and Sunday I was safe as I was holding the bucket in one hand and cope in the other.

"Raindrops" would have earned the organist an uncomfortable chat with me after the service--and I imagine the rector and half the choir would have been in line as well...

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The amount of water you get tends to be a function of the aspergillium. At one of my former shacks, the thing seemed to take in a good deal of water, and everyone got sensibly wetted at the High Mass every Sunday. At my present place, the instrument doesn't seem to take in much water or perhaps has teeny-weeny spinkler-holes (probably the former problem is a function of the latter feature) and doesn't get the job done very well at all -- I've never actually felt or seen any water being emitted from the little tool.

The sloshiest shack I've ever been to is St Mary the Virgin Times Square, where they were as profligate with the asperges/vidi aquam as with the consumption of incense. One hot summer morning we seemed to get doused about three times each from an extra-productive aspergillium and enthusiastic celebrant throwing water on everyone like mad.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I am not sure whose suggestion 'Raindrops' was, but it wasn't necessarily the organist's own choice. All I know is, it wasn't mine!

(Further details about the service can be found in my sig.)

We normally sing a hymn at that point. (And it isn't 'Our God Rains', either.)

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sad, they used twigs that didn't hold a lot of water so I didn't get any splashes.

(Although when I took my seat at the Easter Sunday service, I found the Easter Bunny had left chocolate eggs for me and the other EMs.)

[ 09. April 2012, 16:27: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am not sure whose suggestion 'Raindrops' was, but it wasn't necessarily the organist's own choice. All I know is, it wasn't mine!

(Further details about the service can be found in my sig.)

We normally sing a hymn at that point. (And it isn't 'Our God Rains', either.)

Trite in the extreme. No defence that it might not have been his idea: he played it: it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't played it. [Projectile] Gotta go and take a couple of anti-nausea pills now.
So what was wrong with your usual hymn? Or was your organist making some point not-so-subtely? Perhaps he's fed up and wants out?? But I don't get that impression from all the musical activity at your church. Perhaps he's ill?

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morlader: Perhaps he's ill?
That's the only explanation that I can think of. . . [Ultra confused]

[ 09. April 2012, 17:18: Message edited by: NatDogg ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Chorister: At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).
At my parents' church, there used to be an organ player who would do this kind of musical jokes. I find that the fun of this wears off quite quickly.
The tradition of the "naughty organist" is a venerable one, well documented on these boards. I remember mention of an organist who played a well-disguised "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead" at the news that a particular lady vicar, who was not well liked, would be leaving.

Usually, however, such bouts of naughtiness are subtle. To make them blatant does seem like a mockery.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Usually, when organists do naughty things such as this they sneak it in in the background so that it registers but only just! A little gentle irony is fine, but nothing blatant!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

We weren't missing a hymn, it was just done differently this year. No idea why.

How do other churches / denominations organise their asperging (if they have it at all)?

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How do other churches / denominations organise their asperging (if they have it at all)?

Ours (the "big" Lutheran denom in the US) is very Roman Catholic in style, taking the place of the confession at the beginning of the service. Typically these take place before the entrance hymn. It's supposed to signify that these are preparatory rites, and not technically part of the Holy Communion liturgy proper. In reality, it is just a bit confusing, until one gets used to it.

-Trinitarian Invocation (as usual)
-Brief scripted explanation (of the "we're blessin' the water" sort)
-Blessing of the water
-Sprinkling during the opening hymn
-The liturgy continues with the Kyrie and Gloria (or alternate)

My church has an aspergillum, but much of the time in Lutheranism I encounter a branch, and get royally splashed. I suspect that many churches don't know that such a thing as an aspergillum exists. In any event, the ritual has only been in our latest worship book, which came out six years ago. Before that, we had supplemental texts that suggested it, but it was only practiced in "special" places.

[ 09. April 2012, 19:14: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrMusicMan
Shipmate
# 16343

- Posted      Profile for MrMusicMan   Email MrMusicMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
The tradition of the "naughty organist" is a venerable one, well documented on these boards. I remember mention of an organist who played a well-disguised "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead" at the news that a particular lady vicar, who was not well liked, would be leaving.

Usually, however, such bouts of naughtiness are subtle. To make them blatant does seem like a mockery.

Clearly I'm really not a good organist, as I've never snuck "naughty organist" antics into the music. The worst thing I've ever done, and maybe it counts, is, being an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin Band, tacking an On Wis (the first four notes of On, Wisconsin) onto the end of a verse or a hymn when my alma mater has enjoyed a significant win.

There's nothing quite like the Badger hockey team sweeping North Dakota and then me tacking an On, Wis onto the Amen at the end of the closing hymn the next morning... "A----men (da,da,daaaah!)"

Perhaps I can sneak a lick of "The Final Countdown" into the prelude for Good Friday next year. Or not. [brick wall]

Posts: 167 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMusicMan:

Perhaps I can sneak a lick of "The Final Countdown" into the prelude for Good Friday next year. Or not. [brick wall]

That would amuse me to no end if I was in that church and that happened. Although if anyone ever accused me of being reverent, I'd probably sue them for slander.

[ 09. April 2012, 21:02: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was involved in the Asperges 3 times over Easter On Holy Saturday as part of the Vigil Liturgy after water in the font had been blessed then again at Low Mass in place of the creed and at the same place in the Solemn Mass 90 mins later.
The Aspergillium which has been in use for years is moulting ( Its the Holy Pastry brush Type) and sheds as much hair as water so the Vicar went out on Saturday and bought a traditional pastry brush and we used that. On Saturday Night the Celebrant ( who on this occasion wasn't the vicar, who was acting as Deacon, managed to slosh it straight in my eye. Im hoping to source a new Aspergillium for next year one of those which looks like a Tea Infuser on a long handle.

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

The reason we got so wet is that, with a full church, there were at least three priests/readers going around, each with their own separate aspergillum and supply of water. They spread out to different parts of the church, but for some reason they all sprinkled the choir (quite liberally). Perhaps we were in special need of cleansing? [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funnily enough we had a parishioner who complained that the roof was leaking despite the sunny day. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps we were in special need of cleansing? [Ultra confused]

Especially your organist?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
Funnily enough we had a parishioner who complained that the roof was leaking despite the sunny day. [Roll Eyes]

...to which the appropriate reply is, "Yes, we cannot afford to fix it. It would be a shame to see the church that your ancestors built with their bare hands fall to pieces." [extends hand, palm upward]

[Snigger]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

We did this as well at the Dominican community where my wife and I attended; I thought it a nice way of emphasizing the baptismal emphasis of the service.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Amanda B. Reckondwythe: Usually, however, such bouts of naughtiness are subtle. To make them blatant does seem like a mockery.
quote:
dj_ordinaire: Usually, when organists do naughty things such as this they sneak it in in the background so that it registers but only just! A little gentle irony is fine, but nothing blatant!
With this I agree completely!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devils Advocate:
Im hoping to source a new Aspergillium for next year one of those which looks like a Tea Infuser on a long handle.

Yes, that was the sort that got me in the eye, so I'm not too sure that'd be a huge improvement.

(ETA when I say it got me in the eye, I mean the water, not the actual aspergillium. That would have been a bit much.)

[ 10. April 2012, 13:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Water spotting the varnish, water damaging expensive bibles and hymnals, water spotting fine Easter clothes,.

I keep my Dolce and Gabbana copy of New English Hymnal for Evensong.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The behaviour of the organist and the excessive wetting of the congregation would make me think of changing churches as I find such actions rude in the extreme and unacceptable in what is an important part of the service on Easter Sunday. I would hope that you seek an apology and a commitment to never again engage in such antics.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Some things that happen in church do annoy me, but not that. We like our organist, and he is often told to play things other than his own choice. As are the choir. It is an interesting question, which several of us have examined recently - how far is one a servant of the church and how much should one act according to one's own conscience even if part of a group? (A thought for another thread, perhaps?)

I've noticed different amounts of wetting according to what is being used. Usually some sort of sprig (rosemary) rather than a metal object. This year's was very effective, one year we hardly got a drop, when the sprig was rather thin and weedy.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Usually some sort of sprig (rosemary) rather than a metal object. This year's was very effective,

Sprig showers bring fresh flowers. [Smile]

--------------------

ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our place the sprinkling is done with a cluster of evergreen twigs which have been tied together. This is a relatively new addition to ELCA liturgics. I shall always remember being seated next to my dear sister who whispered to me that she didn't want any water spots on her silk blouse!
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The year the town that neighbored Massanetta (or maybe it was Harrisonburg itself) went from Dry to having legal sales of liquor, the organ improvisation that formed the prelude to divine service at the opening of the Church Musicians Conference began with the thundering chords A!, B!, C!, being the vernacular for "Alcoholic Beverage Commission." Most of the musicians could barely keep a straight face at the audacity. The Grim Presbyterian Elders were not amused.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatherRobLyons
Shipmate
# 14622

- Posted      Profile for FatherRobLyons   Author's homepage   Email FatherRobLyons   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We sang "Baptized with Water" and invited people to come forward and sign themselves with water from the font. It worked well.
Posts: 321 | From: Bargersville, IN | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016