homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Raindrops keep falling on my head (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Raindrops keep falling on my head
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our organist in seminary hit upon the fact that the Tantum Ergo could be sung to the tune of 'All the nice girls love a sailor' - and vice versa. Consequently he often wove the tune into processional music at benediction.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also sing it to the Austrian National Anthem, and indeed it has been done
The proper one I mean not the present one...... [Biased]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Some things that happen in church do annoy me, but not that. We like our organist, and he is often told to play things other than his own choice. As are the choir. It is an interesting question, which several of us have examined recently - how far is one a servant of the church and how much should one act according to one's own conscience even if part of a group? (A thought for another thread, perhaps?)

I've noticed different amounts of wetting according to what is being used. Usually some sort of sprig (rosemary) rather than a metal object. This year's was very effective, one year we hardly got a drop, when the sprig was rather thin and weedy.

It strikes me he's taking a cue from the renowned Joseph Haydn and his 'Farewell' Symphony
Chorister I get the impression you have a vicar whom you have to get under control...... [Devil]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

MrMusicMan
Shipmate
# 16343

- Posted      Profile for MrMusicMan   Email MrMusicMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Royal Spaniel:
You can also sing it to the Austrian National Anthem, and indeed it has been done
The proper one I mean not the present one...... [Biased]

What should scare you is that like a dumba## I miss read this as "Australian National Anthem," and discovered it just about works with "Waltzing Matilda."
Posts: 167 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

[Killing me]

There's just no reply to that at all.....!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This board is so interesting! Everytime I check in, I learn new words (asperge, aspergillium!) as well as new traditions. I had never heard of this practice.

Growing up in a consevative US Lutheran denomination, returning to the church as the large body of Lutherans that Martin L referred to, and now having been with the United Church of Christ for about 8 years, I never encountered this practice.

In the UCC, as well as others I am sure, the renewal of baptism vows often happens in January at the Baptism of Jesus celebration, if that event is being observed (it isn't always depending on the scheduling of Epiphany on a Sunday). Once as a congregant and once as a seminary intern did I see/participate in a sprinkling of the congregation. When I did it, I took a small bough off the Christmas tree and sprinkled folks with that. I can't imagine that anybody got too wet. I think it more likely that people on the far sides got little if any.

I admire the humor but probably would have left the raindrops out of the service or just had 4 bars or so played so that people got the reference but weren't immersed in it, so to speak.

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UCCLynn:
This board is so interesting! Everytime I check in, I learn new words (asperge, aspergillium!) as well as new traditions. I had never heard of this practice.

Growing up in a consevative US Lutheran denomination, returning to the church as the large body of Lutherans that Martin L referred to, and now having been with the United Church of Christ for about 8 years, I never encountered this practice.

Many quarters of the ELCA has been sprinkling people at assembly liturgies for probably about ten years or so, but it hadn't appeared in a hymnal until the cranberry book came out in '06.

Here is where you can find a reasonably-priced aspergillum, or at least get a look at them in their various forms. It seems like just the sort of new-found ritual that some in the UCC love to employ!

[ 12. April 2012, 21:31: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have added:

UCCLynn, this is where the terms come from. It's sung during the sprinkling (except in Eastertide, when Vidi aquam is used).

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit I find the use of "Raindrops..." during the asperges rather, no, make that totally inappropriate. Some of the "organists behaving badly" tales above (or from this great old thread)¹ are funny because they are -- well, most of them are -- subtle and are snuck into other bits. It's the difference between a wink and a pratfall. The asperges can be joyous and even playful without losing its sacredness. Burt Bacharach tunes, on the other hand, would ruin the moment for me.

So I may be a bit of a traditionalist in that respect. But at the same time, I'm not keen on aspergilla. I find them fussy. There's something earthy and almost primitive about using a sprig of evergreen for the asperges. It works well enough at our joint: if you open the hymnal to the Baptism section, you'll find the pages still crinkly from drops of water.

[¹Seriously, how did we not Limbo that one?]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I'm sad, they used twigs that didn't hold a lot of water so I didn't get any splashes.

(Although when I took my seat at the Easter Sunday service, I found the Easter Bunny had left chocolate eggs for me and the other EMs.)

That last is a terrific idea and gives me notions for next year.

We got asperged at both the Vigil and the main service. What is the correct plural of aspergillum? We have two - brass plate bucket and big shaker thing that sort of looks like a mace.

Previously we had used glass vases and rosemary branches (which make the water smell very nice) but I believe the equipment is on loan from the seminary.

Vidi Aquam all the way for the music both times! "Raindrops" definitely qualifies as Organists Behaving Badly, especially if it was in a form that could be recognized by non-musicians.

Last year at the Cathedral, I got "got" several times by the bands of roving clergy [Biased] .

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
What is the correct plural of aspergillum?

Aspergilia - second declension neuter nominative. Oh the joys of a mis-spent youth...whoever he was
[Biased]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Easter Sunday, as well as being a celebration of Jesus' resurrection, is also often the time to renew baptism vows. I also observed a very clear case of 'Asperges Syndrome', characterised by an irresistible urge by priests, deacons, readers to slosh water all over the congregation - way more than is necessary, with wicked grins on their faces, and especially enjoying soaking the choir. At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).

Does your church take part in these or other rituals associated with baptism vow renewals?

Soberly: no splashing, no drowning, no grinning, no campy music choices, no cutesy implements. We did get more water than I've noticed previously in the liturgical year, though.

Perhaps a former rector at my old parish grinned once or twice, but I don't clearly remember.

Posts: 58 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Easter Sunday, as well as being a celebration of Jesus' resurrection, is also often the time to renew baptism vows. I also observed a very clear case of 'Asperges Syndrome', characterised by an irresistible urge by priests, deacons, readers to slosh water all over the congregation - way more than is necessary, with wicked grins on their faces, and especially enjoying soaking the choir. At our shack this Easter Sunday, the Asperges took place to organ accompaniment ('Raindrops keep falling on my head', of all things [Roll Eyes] ).

Does your church take part in these or other rituals associated with baptism vow renewals?

Yes. At my parish the priest is an enthusiastic splasher and does his best to get us all soaked. On Easter Sunday I went to Mass at another parish and the priest sprinkled with less energy but was accompanied by the singing of the "Vidi Aquam" :
quote:

I saw water coming forth from the temple
on the right side, alleluia:
and all those to whom this water came
were saved, and shall say, alleluia, alleluia.

V. Give praise to the Lord, for He is good:
R. For His mercy endureth forever.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost:
R. As it was in the beginning, is now,
and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016