homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who else has seven sacraments? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who else has seven sacraments?
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend asked me if there is any church other than Roman Catholicism which has seven sacraments. I couldn't think of any.

Does anyone know of such a church?

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are more churches who have seven sacraments :The Orthodox Churches and the Old-Catholics.
Furthermore, the Anglo-Catholics practise the seven sacraments as well.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopal/Anglican Church does.

(Some Episcopalians think we have eight -- the Coffee Hour is sometimes known as the Eighth Sacrament!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The Coffee Hour is sometimes known as the Eighth Sacrament!

Some Baptists - who regard Communion and Baptism as "ordinances" - might regard Coffee Hour as the only Sacrament. (Although I've never known it to last a whole hour!)

But of course they would be wrong: Taking Up The Offering is another, as (in some contexts) is Giving The Notices.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:
the Anglo-Catholics practise the seven sacraments as well.

We do - though the 39 Articles say there are two 'instituted by Christ'. Strange that the articles don't extend this the authority of scripture beyond Jesus - arguably, Penance and Unction are in James, confirmation and ordination are in Acts.

Marriage is mentioned often.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been able to understand why some Anglicans are keen to deny that we have seven sacraments. Everybody gives priority to the main two, baptism and the eucharist, of course. But I don't know any Anglican who would prevent anyone celebrating or receiving the others: confirmation is part of the BCP and Anglican tradition; marriage is regarded as very important maybe especially by those evangelicals who would deny it is a sacrament; ordination is surely seen as more than just a legal commissioning; anointing is very widely, if not universally, practised; the sacrament of reconciliation/ confession may be valued more by anglo-catholics than others but I would think any priest who refused to hear a confession would be censured by his/her bishop.

So if everybody is happy to use all seven, why would they object to calling them sacraments? If they're not sacraments, what are they?

Pete173 and others: any answers?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
So if everybody is happy to use all seven, why would they object to calling them sacraments? If they're not sacraments, what are they?

Presumably they are "other rites and ceremonies", as the BCP title page puts it.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably. But that doesn't answer the question, why not call them sacraments?

--------------------

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

According to Article 25 "There are two Sacraments ordained of Christ our Lord [and] five commonly called Sacraments"

[deleted multiple duplicate posts]

[ 22. April 2012, 18:35: Message edited by: seasick ]

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The Episcopal/Anglican Church does.

(Some Episcopalians think we have eight -- the Coffee Hour is sometimes known as the Eighth Sacrament!)

That's what the pastor at my RC parish calls it as well!

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Methodist Church in Britain recognises two sacraments (baptism and the Eucharist) as "of divine appointment and perpetual obligation." We have authorised liturgies for all those rites which might be called sacraments. I certainly think of them as being sacramental in character but we're unlikely to categorise them formally as sacraments any time soon.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are more churches who have seven sacraments: The Orthodox Churches...

It isn't quite accurate to say that the Orthodox churches have seven sacraments, not because we don't recognise as Sacraments, or Mysteries, those seven numbered by Thomas Aquinas and listed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church but rather because it is not our tradition to specify a number of mysteries. Some ancient church writers listed three, others other numbers, and the lists did not always include the same ones. I'm told that there is a modern trend in some Orthodox quarters of stating that we have seven, and that this stems from Latin influence on the Greek church under the Ottoman yoke, when there was a time of Greek priests being trained in Roman Catholic seminaries out of necessity. Perhaps it is the fruit of this that you have encountered.

In actuality, monastic tonsure and funeral rites have long been included in lists of the mysteries, as well as some other rites, and they are still considered sacramental in Orthodox circles.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Probably because there are certain words that are seen by Christians lower down the candle as 'carrying connotations'. The word 'sacrament' seems to be disliked by the same people who use the word 'pilgrimage' and the word 'Mass'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never been able to understand why some Anglicans are keen to deny that we have seven sacraments. Everybody gives priority to the main two, baptism and the eucharist, of course. But I don't know any Anglican who would prevent anyone celebrating or receiving the others: confirmation is part of the BCP and Anglican tradition; marriage is regarded as very important maybe especially by those evangelicals who would deny it is a sacrament; ordination is surely seen as more than just a legal commissioning; anointing is very widely, if not universally, practised; the sacrament of reconciliation/ confession may be valued more by anglo-catholics than others but I would think any priest who refused to hear a confession would be censured by his/her bishop.

The difficulty lies in the definition of sacrament used during the Reformation which insisted on direct institution by Christ. My old fashioned Evangelical friends do not deny that that Marriage etc., are outward signs of inward spiritual grace, but they insist on direct institution by Christ. For them they are sacramental (i.e. have like character with the sacraments) rather than actual full-paid up sacraments.

On my better days I refer to "seven sacraments - of which two dominical, and the other five ecclesiastical." In more Lutheran moods, it is two, whilst not denying the sacramental character of marriage, holy unction, etc..

PD
High Church Protestant

[ 22. April 2012, 20:58: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it said that TEC has 7 sacraments: 2 major, 5 minor.

The two major (Baptism and Holy Communion) were directly instituted by Jesus Christ in his ministry. The five minor (Confession, Marriage, Ordination, Confirmation, and Anointing of the Sick) were instituted by his disciples in the Early Church and are continued to this day.

There are plenty of jokes about other really minor sacraments, usually around coffee...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that this discussion speaks to the fact that despite attempts--especially in recent decades--to arrive at sacramental (and other theological) definitions that are acceptable to Anglicans of every stripe, the simple (and to some, quite obvious) reality is that not all Anglicans hold the same faith, period.

Please be assured that the above statement is made respectfully, and is not intended to cause offense of any sort or provoke controversy. However, one has only to peruse the above--to say nothing of sources that are of a weighty nature--to see that there are both Catholic and Protestant faiths living side-by-side within Anglicanism (as well as a good deal in between). In many, if not most, instances, I would say that these definitions and distinctions regarding the most basic tenets of the faith, the sacraments themselves, go so far as to be mutually exclusive. [Frown]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
My old fashioned Evangelical friends do not deny that that Marriage etc., are outward signs of inward spiritual grace, but they insist on direct institution by Christ.

What about Matthew 19.5-6?

And if you are talking about direct institution, what about washing of feet? Baptism has only one reference, at the end of Matthew: I'm sure some scholars will question if that is historical.

[PS, Ceremoniar: how does what you call something ('sacrament' or 'sacramental') amount to a difference of faith? We're only quibbling about definitions here, not about the reality.

[ 22. April 2012, 21:26: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

The difficulty lies in the definition of sacrament used during the Reformation which insisted on direct institution by Christ. My old fashioned Evangelical friends do not deny that that Marriage etc., are outward signs of inward spiritual grace, but they insist on direct institution by Christ. For them they are sacramental (i.e. have like character with the sacraments) rather than actual full-paid up sacraments.

On my better days I refer to "seven sacraments - of which two dominical, and the other five ecclesiastical." In more Lutheran moods, it is two, whilst not denying the sacramental character of marriage, holy unction, etc..

PD
High Church Protestant

Didn't Luther consider Absolution to be a true sacrament of the Gospel, hence effectively making three? I don't know what the Augsburg Confession says about that, and Luther of course floated all sorts of ideas that Melancthon and the other systematisers did not endorse.

Beyond that, for all intents and purposes Lutherans have basically treated Confirmation as a sacrament.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
jordan32404
Shipmate
# 15833

- Posted      Profile for jordan32404   Author's homepage   Email jordan32404   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The five other rites are not sacraments, according to the Articles of Religion, because they do not meet the requirement of a sacrament laid out in the AOR:

quote:
Those five commonly called Sacraments, that is to say, Confirmation, Penance, Orders, Matrimony, and Extreme Unction, are not to be counted for Sacraments of the Gospel, being such as have grown partly of the corrupt following of the Apostles, partly are states of life allowed in the Scriptures, but yet have not like nature of Sacraments with Baptism, and the Lord's Supper, for that they have not any visible sign or ceremony ordained of God.

Posts: 268 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

But note, it says 'not to be counted as Sacraments of the Gospel': they are 'commonly called' sacraments.

It's all quibbling, like angels on a pinhead, anyway!

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What about Matthew 19.5-6?

And if you are talking about direct institution, what about washing of feet? Baptism has only one reference, at the end of Matthew: I'm sure some scholars will question if that is historical.

That's where it gets gray for me, and I err on the side of sacrament. Jesus did forgive sins, but didn't ask for a retelling of them. Jesus did go to a wedding, but didn't perform one or be a part of one. Jesus did call disciples, but didn't lay his hands on them and bless them. Jesus did heal the sick, but didn't anoint them with oil. (Spit on the other hand...)

Jesus did directly institute the Eucharist, and was baptized by John in the Jordan River.

Foot washing didn't seem to get very far, for some reason...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But note, it says 'not to be counted as Sacraments of the Gospel': they are 'commonly called' sacraments.

It's all quibbling, like angels on a pinhead, anyway!

Hardly. One of the primary differences between the Catholic and Protestant faiths is the presence and nature of the sacraments. It is basic--not only their number, but of what their ontological nature consists. That is far more than quibbling; it is the building blocks of each, as it were. [Biased]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The inner nature and substance of what a sacrament is to me is really a more important question than how many there are. Even more importantly is the interrelated nature of the mysterion on each other as the basis of the worshipping community. It is all linked together, and none can be removed or ignored without the rest breaking down. Apostolic charism exists to provide us with the channels of grace and is passed and made present through ordination. The eucharist cannot exist without this or without the blessing of the bishop. The worshipping community cannot exist without baptism and chrismation as an entrance in to it. Membership in the community cannot be maintained without confession and absolution. The eucharist cannot be taken apart from baptism, chrismation and confession. These are just a few examples but represent to me how the various channels of grace all rely on each other.

Seven is a generally accepted number, but is no where dogmatically defined.

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordan32404:
The five other rites are not sacraments, according to the Articles of Religion, because they do not meet the requirement of a sacrament laid out in the AOR:

quote:
Those five commonly called Sacraments, that is to say, Confirmation, Penance, Orders, Matrimony, and Extreme Unction, are not to be counted for Sacraments of the Gospel, being such as have grown partly of the corrupt following of the Apostles, partly are states of life allowed in the Scriptures, but yet have not like nature of Sacraments with Baptism, and the Lord's Supper, for that they have not any visible sign or ceremony ordained of God.

Jordan, I disagree; this passage seems to me like a very early example of the confection of Anglican fudge.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Presumably. But that doesn't answer the question, why not call them sacraments?

Because Cranmer et al, got it wrong : [Biased]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kiwimacahau
Apprentice
# 12142

- Posted      Profile for kiwimacahau   Author's homepage   Email kiwimacahau   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are more churches who have seven sacraments :The Orthodox Churches and the Old-Catholics.
Furthermore, the Anglo-Catholics practise the seven sacraments as well.

Indeed we Old Catholics do. Interestingly there are some churches which have eight, among them are the LDS and Community of Christ. The eighth being a "patriarchal blessing" or the CoC equivalent.

--------------------
It is necessary for some people to advertise they are christians, as no one would believe it from their behaviour. H. Haydon.

Posts: 33 | From: Deepest Darkest NZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:

quote:

Jordan, I disagree; this passage seems to me like a very early example of the confection of Anglican fudge.
I can never make my mind up weather this sacrament denies that the five 'lesser' sacraments are sacraments, or whether it simply says 'under the strict definition we are now using, they are not sacraments.'

The snag is the Catechism (the old one; not the Offices of Instruction) say pretty without further qualification that a sacrament is an outward sign of an inward spiritual grace. OK, the catechism then goes on to say that there are two, however, on the definition given it is bloody near impossible to deny that the lesser five are sacraments.

I detect a certain amount of fence sitting. I happiest saying that the Anglicans have always asserted that there are two 'general necessary to salvation' and leaving the rest to tradition whilst pointing out that since about 1870 there has been an increasing tendancy to recognise the other five as sacraments. I have never really gotten past the 2 + 5 = 7 line taken by confirmation classes in the Sunnyside of Central parish I grew up in. That is my default unless someone has me really riled up in one direction or the other.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've long suspected that part of the problem has been that since the Reformation, and possibly in the later Middle Ages, the word 'sacrament' has been a buzz word onto which extra freight has been loaded which it hasn't really got the springs to carry. The different sides in the debate have defined the word differently and then accused the other side of being wrong, because the other's theology does not comply with the definition they have given to the word.

Let me ask two different questions. I don't know the answer to either:

1. Is the the phrase "an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace", an exclusively CofE understanding or is it, at least in part, compatible with how other ecclesial communities understand a Sacrament?

2. How much does it actually matter whether one calls a rite a Sacrament or not? How much ontological difference does it make? Do we really believe it becomes a greater or lesser sign of an inward and spiritual grace or has more or less potential to transmit God's blessing depending on what we call it?

(and note I'm deliberately not saying here 'depending on who does it'. That's a quite different issue)

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes a difference if we use the word "sacrament" to imply a whole load of RC philosophical baggage.

I've heard a lecture on marriage by an Anglo-Catholic ethicist which basically worked exactly like that. Marriage is a sacrament - hence this, this, this and this.

I'm an evangelical Anglican, and I don't have a problem with saying that all sorts of things are outward and visible signs of inward grace - preaching, private devotional times, anointing with oil, going for walks in the countryside, and so on.

If you want to call them "sacraments" that's fine by me though I don't find the language particularly helpful unless you mean something concrete by it, and if you mean something concrete by it we might find ourselves disagreeing about what that is.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swick
Shipmate
# 8773

- Posted      Profile for Swick   Email Swick       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When a fried of mine was in an Episcopalian seminary, his professors would say that Anglicans have "at least two" sacraments, and that baptism and the Holy Eucharist are necessary for all Christians, while the other five aren't.

The US 1979 BCP fudges the issue by calling the Baptism and Eucharist "sacraments," and other other five "sacramental rites evolved in the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit."
(page 860), which allows high church types to claim 7 and low church types 2.

Posts: 197 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be very interested in an answer to Enoch's question 1.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
1. Is the the phrase "an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace", an exclusively CofE understanding or is it, at least in part, compatible with how other ecclesial communities understand a Sacrament?

It is, I believe, an increasingly common explanation for Baptism in United Methodist circles. I've also heard Baptists (in particular, Southern Baptists) use the phrase as well.

Usually in Methodist circles, however, we use the term "means of grace", which was something that Wesley coined. (Or stole... not sure which.) While I find a nuanced difference between the two terms, many people seem to think they are synonymous -- and maybe they are; I certainly don't hold the market on correct definitions.

The UMC defines the Eucharist and Baptism to be the two sacraments, so as long as I am a Methodist I will admit to those two. The other five I agree are sacramental, and I have no problem with them being full-fledged sacraments.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
Usually in Methodist circles, however, we use the term "means of grace", which was something that Wesley coined. (Or stole... not sure which.)

Erm, I have been reminded that "means of grace" did not originate with Wesley.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very little originated with Wesley - he borrowed things from all over the place!

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Jesus isn't recorded as having baptised anyone Himself - only being baptised - wouldn't it be more proper to say that Baptism was instituted by John the Baptist?

Leaving only one sacrament - the Eucharist - directly instituted by Himself.

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Posts: 153 | From: Reseda, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

Well that all depends how you read John 3:22... But more straightforwardly, we wouldn't usually see John's baptism as being sacramental baptism but as foreshadowing it. Matthew 28 would normally be seen as Christ's institution of the Church's sacrament of baptism I would have thought.

[ 23. April 2012, 19:36: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Matthew 28 would normally be seen as Christ's institution of the Church's sacrament of baptism I would have thought.

And John 20.23 for the Sacrament of Reconciliation/Sacrament of Penance/Confession?

(I don't think that needs to be taken literally, as though the Risen Lord was thinking of large, paneled confession boxes. But it is the text that was explained to me when I was first prepared for confession - and if only confession was made to be a natural and unselfconscious thing now.)

[Don't say I never do anything for you... fixed link]

[ 23. April 2012, 20:54: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

I've certainly heard that cited in that way before. We read that passage as the gospel at the ordination of presbyters.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

And don't bother clicking on the link in my last post.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

Yes, I've always understood that "commonly called sacraments" to basically mean, "some people {cough, cough} call them sacraments, but they're really not."

However, at least in the Episcopal Church, the Articles are mostly treated as a historical document of historical interest, and not really all that binding. (Otherwise, e.g., we wouldn't reserve the Sacrament in tabernacles and ambries where people could reverence/pray with it - we'd just store it in the sacristy and bring it out at services where it might be used.)

I think it's fair to say Anglicans generally sort of have 7 Sacraments, although personally, I'm not keen on numbering them. There seems to me to be a continuum running from sacramental to Sacrament, and numbering Sacraments seems to fence them off from everything else - which no church really intends to do.

The one that confuses me, though, is Confirmation. I can't quite wrap my head around what's sacramental about it in any unique way (beyond receiving a blessing from a bishop, which happens on many occasions). To my mind, it stems from a one-time divorce of chrismation from baptism. (Having been baptized in the Assemblies of God, I have never been chrismated OR confirmed; I was however received into the Episcopal Church by the laying on of hands of a bishop, which ISTM might be considered Confirmation.)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by windsofchange:
Since Jesus isn't recorded as having baptised anyone Himself - only being baptised - wouldn't it be more proper to say that Baptism was instituted by John the Baptist?

Leaving only one sacrament - the Eucharist - directly instituted by Himself.

John's baptism was really more of a mikvah; a ritual bathing which could occur for various reasons, among them conversion to Judaism and--wait for it!--the beginning of a priestly ministry (relevant to Jesus in light of the arguments made in the Epistle to the Hebrews, I'd think).

[ 23. April 2012, 20:58: Message edited by: Fr Weber ]

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

The one that confuses me, though, is Confirmation. I can't quite wrap my head around what's sacramental about it in any unique way (beyond receiving a blessing from a bishop, which happens on many occasions). To my mind, it stems from a one-time divorce of chrismation from baptism. (Having been baptized in the Assemblies of God, I have never been chrismated OR confirmed; I was however received into the Episcopal Church by the laying on of hands of a bishop, which ISTM might be considered Confirmation.)

I'd think that unless the bishop intended for it to be Confirmation and pronounced the verbal formula of which the sacrament partially consists, it wouldn't have been.

The grace given in Confirmation relates to the seven gifts of the Holy Ghost : wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, piety, knowledge, and fear of the Lord. Obviously I'd never say that these virtues are closed to you if you're not confirmed, but they're what Confirmation is intended to impart.

I've always read "commonly called sacraments" as a weasel phrase; someone more inclined to be Reformed will read it as "but they're not" and someone more inclined to be Catholic will read it as "they are sacraments, but of a lesser importance than the dominical ones".

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I'd be very interested in an answer to Enoch's question 1.

I think that description would fall somewhat short in matching the Orthodox view, though I am not an expert. The sacraments are certainly visible expressions of inner channels of grace, but they are changed outwardly as well. That is why mysterion is a good word to use, I don't know that you can exactly describe what they become. What's the eucharist? Well, it's the Eucharist. There's no real category you can put it in.

The mysterion become different than they were before, and the things with an outward visible presence are no longer regarded as they were before. Once consecrated, the bread and wine cannot be treated or regarded as they were before. The same can hold true for things not strictly regarded as sacraments, but which have recognizably been suffused with grace. Icons, relics, water, etc.

scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The churches of the Anglican Continuum in the U.S. who subscribe to the Affirmation of St. Louis--and this includes +PD's jurisdiction the UECNA, whether he likes or not--explicitly recognize the seven sacraments.
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

I'd think that unless the bishop intended for it to be Confirmation and pronounced the verbal formula of which the sacrament partially consists, it wouldn't have been.

The grace given in Confirmation relates to the seven gifts of the Holy Ghost : wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, piety, knowledge, and fear of the Lord. Obviously I'd never say that these virtues are closed to you if you're not confirmed, but they're what Confirmation is intended to impart.

Thanks for explaining the bit about the seven gifts; I guess it makes sense to separate those at least formally from baptism, as in an ideal situation, a baptized child grows in grace (as our Lord did) and becomes ready to receive those gifts.

And I actually agree about the reception not being confirmation. Although just as I'm pretty sure I received the Holy Spirit without chrism, I'm also pretty sure I've received the seven gifts.

The way I like to think of all of this is that the Sacraments impart grace, but "the wind blows where it will" and God is not constrained by the Sacraments. God is free to act outside of them, but has graciously given them to us as objective means of grace.

And you can't make an individual experience the norm.

It just would seem odd to me to seek confirmation now. I am called to the laity, so the question of having to check off that box on the way to ordination won't ever come up.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
The sacraments are certainly visible expressions of inner channels of grace, but they are changed outwardly as well. That is why mysterion is a good word to use, I don't know that you can exactly describe what they become. What's the eucharist? Well, it's the Eucharist. There's no real category you can put it in.

The mysterion become different than they were before, and the things with an outward visible presence are no longer regarded as they were before. Once consecrated, the bread and wine cannot be treated or regarded as they were before. The same can hold true for things not strictly regarded as sacraments, but which have recognizably been suffused with grace. Icons, relics, water, etc.

All of this is so beautifully put. And if it's true that the Bread and Wine of the Eucharist can no longer be regarded as they were before, it's also true of us who receive it, having been baptized. Thus (I say as someone who spends a lot of time in the sacristy) the way we handle or behave toward consecrated elements and other sacramentals (like icons) trains us in how to treat each other.

--------------------

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Article XXV Of the Sacraments, part of which was quoted by churchgeek, is just another example of how the Protestant reformers reinvented the wheel of Christianity, which had rolled along for a millenium and a half without their new insights. The Seven Sacraments can all be inferred from Scripture, and are part of the history on the Undivided Church.

This along with Article XVII Of Predestination and Election, which supports Calvinist principles, reminds me of how much distaste of have for the Articles of Religion.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
Article XXV Of the Sacraments, part of which was quoted by churchgeek, is just another example of how the Protestant reformers reinvented the wheel of Christianity...

But look at what experienced teachers they had.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an Old-Catholic, I believe in the Seven Sacraments.This has always been the Faith of the Undivided Church.
Do the current Anglicans still believe in the 39 Articles ?
The US Episcopalians/Anglicans regard them as
an Historical Document.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
As an Old-Catholic, I believe in the Seven Sacraments.This has always been the Faith of the Undivided Church.

As I mentioned above, this isn't entirely accurate. Yes, the seven sacraments that are listed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church have always been numbered among the sacraments but the concept of "The Seven Sacraments" was never the Faith of the Undivided Church. As I understand it, the numbering of the sacraments at seven to the exclusion of the others is a local development in the west, and a fairly late one at that, dating not long (if at all) before Thomas Aquinas.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016