homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pontifical Solemn Mass (CofE)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pontifical Solemn Mass (CofE)
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear All,

I am currently in the process of helping to plan a Pontifical Solemn Mass in a CofE parish but need some advice.

1. What should the Bishop wear? Normal chasuble? or a Roman Chasuble, Dalmatic, Tunicle, Episcopal Gloves and Maniple?

2. How would we normally greet the Bishop? I've seen St Silas, Kentish Town have the Bishop kneel down on a Faldstool, kisses the cross, the priest censes the Bishop and then the Bishop does asperges (Is this the correct way)

3. How would you cense a large amount of robing clergy?

4. How many Mitre's traditionally does the Bishop wear?

5. What is the best Eucharistic Prayer to use? (Roman Rite)

6. Did Fr Graeme Rowland (St Silas, Kentish Town) create most of his traditions or can they be found somewhere?

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any suggestions will also be valued

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to no 4, I suppose it depends how many heads he has.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicDude
Shipmate
# 16476

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicDude   Email AngloCatholicDude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chrism:
Dear All,

I am currently in the process of helping to plan a Pontifical Solemn Mass in a CofE parish but need some advice.

1. What should the Bishop wear? Normal chasuble? or a Roman Chasuble, Dalmatic, Tunicle, Episcopal Gloves and Maniple?

2. How would we normally greet the Bishop? I've seen St Silas, Kentish Town have the Bishop kneel down on a Faldstool, kisses the cross, the priest censes the Bishop and then the Bishop does asperges (Is this the correct way)

6. Did Fr Graeme Rowland (St Silas, Kentish Town) create most of his traditions or can they be found somewhere?

Answer to Question 4 is 3 Mitres one of them is a Precious Mitre and Question 3 I'd use the Roman Canon

--------------------
Trusting and Believing in the Catholic Tradition within the Church of England

Posts: 85 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Censing clergy with a Roman Cannon sounds like great fun. I'd love to see that. Are there any videos available?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. What should the Bishop wear?

Clothes. Naked presiding is just wrong.

quote:
2. How would we normally greet the Bishop?
"Mornin' Dave".

quote:
By the smell, probably. And it's spelled with an "s", not a "c".

quote:
Spike already answered this one.

quote:
Does it matter?

quote:
Never heard of him, sorry.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I know why I stopped being an Anglo-Catholic and became a Quaker.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The debate (and the humour) may continue in Eccles. Enjoy!

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1.) The latter - don't forget the Cappa Magna for the way in.

2.) Don't forget to kiss the ring.

3.) Give those chaps at Santiago a call for tips.

4.) More than two can seem a bit over the top to this standard middle-of-the-road CofEer

5.) "Common Worship Eucharistic Prayer I" as we call it.

6.) Divine revelation.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my former parish, whenever there was a Pontifical High Mass, a server would be appointed to "look after" (not sure of the correct terms) the visiting Bishop by holding or handing him his crozier/mitre. Before the Mass started, the Altar party and Bishop would process up the north aisle to the west end of the church where the Bishop would kneel on a pre-dieu as he was censed. The priest would greet him: "Reverend Father in God, we bid you welcome." After this, the Choir would sing Elgar's "Ecce Sacerdos Magnus", as the Bishop processed down the Nave to the High Altar.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Stretch Canon B5 to breaking point and just follow the guidance in this

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Noting that you're in London, if the bishop whose visit you are honouring is your diocesan, it would a seriously bad idea to use a Roman Rite. That would be coat trailing. Stick to BCP or CW.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a must-have.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second what Marvin said.

As for the reference to Ritual Notes, I must sell mine - judging by the link above, I could make a fortune.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Bishops may wear the pontifical dalmatic under the chasuble (nicely showing that they are deacons i.e. servants 1st of all...) if you have such a thing. Gloves maniple ring zuchetto are all also possible but you need to know what to do with them and when...

Episcolpal ceremonial is covered in larger books such as Fortescue Ceremonies of the Roman Rite. There is a modern episcopal ceremonial book (in which the censing to the bishop is omitted...)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ceremonial-Bishops-Liturgical-Press/dp/0814618189/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337774307&sr=8-6

If they are all sitting together, bow to them (they baow back) and give three single swings (middle, right, left) if they are sitting in choir only (ie not concelebrants)

There are 3 types, precious (decorated), gold and simple (white). For any one mass the bishop may use the precious and the gold, see books above for when to change and you need a server to hold the other one that is not being used.

Use prayer one if possible for my money, esp if you have any concelebrants (more for them to do)

See answer to question 2.

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, the Bishop of London loves the Roman Rite and will use nothing else. There will be tears!

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. The bishop should wear as much tat as you can possibly force onto him/her, especially if it's heavy and impedes movement. It's the same theory as a truly posh wedding dress for a bridezilla: everyone will be looking at him/her (so s/he's happy), but if things get out of control, everyone else can make a quick getaway.

2. I believe Father Ted already covered this one, as well as the appropriate responce for His/Her Grace.

3. Lots and lots of incense, and otherwise proceed as normal. Your goal is to get a thick enough smoke from the thurible that only a few swings will be needed to smoke up the whole church.

4. Again, it depends on the number of heads your bishop has, as well as how heavy you can make the decorated miter—enough gold and jewels to choke a horse, and your bishop isn't going to be able to move much faster than a dignified shuffle.

5. See the above answers. I like the BCP myself.

6. How can you create a new tradition? Aren't they just habits that have become ossified? Plus, think about the idea of "new tradition." Just think about it for a while.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wouldn't you wait until they have their robes on?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax
The bishop should wear as much tat as you can possibly force onto him/her, especially if it's heavy and impedes movement.

Not too heavy. One of the ways one distinguishes a fake bishop from the real thing is that when fully censed, a pukka bishop should rise gently into the air and float above the ground. Suffragans only rise to about 18", a diocesan to about 3' while a metropolitan should be about head height.

If a bishop rises higher than his station should entitle him to, that may be pride or an indication as to future translation. It takes discernment to know.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suggest you just contact Granny Rowlands or his head server and ask for their ceremonial notes. Might save you a lot of time! Or you could approach St Mary's, Bourne Street or All Saints, Margaret Street for assistance.
Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
The bishop should wear as much tat as you can possibly force onto him/her, especially if it's heavy and impedes movement.

Not too heavy. One of the ways one distinguishes a fake bishop from the real thing is that when fully censed, a pukka bishop should rise gently into the air and float above the ground. Suffragans only rise to about 18", a diocesan to about 3' while a metropolitan should be about head height.
Whereas for a flying bishop, the sky's the limit.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
quote:

Whereas for a flying bishop, the sky's the limit.
I wish I'd said that. Brilliant!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If a bishop rises higher than his station should entitle him to, that may be pride or an indication as to future translation. It takes discernment to know.

That would explain the development of the crosier, then—as bishops began to rise to greater and greater heights (especially as advances in incense and thuribles allowed for a better quality of smoke), they needed some way to pull themselves back down to earth. I'm guessing the archbishop's palium with its silver nails is a faded remnant of the lead-weighted vest such august personages used to wear to counteract any tendency to simply go floating off altogether?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

I find it easiest to incense clergy by telling them that they know absolutely nothing about liturgy and hymnody.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dear All,

1. Under normal circumstances - Eucharistic vestments plus mitre. If it is a really big do - like an ordination, Christmas, Easter, or Pentecost, then Pontifical Dalmatic is in order. Gloves, Buskins and the Pontifical tunicle are kind of our of fashion - Deo gratias! If your shack has the big six on the altar and the bishop celebrating is the diocesan do not forget the Bishop's (seventh) candle. This should go pretty in the middle of the altar at an ad orientem celebration. If you are still doing it 'Punch and Judy' style then you'll have to figure it out for yourself (clue - three gospel side and three epistle side, and the bishop's candle just to the Gospel side looks OK.) Tabernacle should be empty if it is on the High Altar. If you have a hanging pyx you do not have to do this.

2. I prefer to sneaking into the sacristy about twenty minutes before kick off and robe in peace. The St Silas routine requires one to arrive at the very least in cassock, and correctly - cassock, rochet, chimere and tippet. After the formal greeting, the bishop is led to a side chapel and then vests for the Mass.

3. Two double-swings to either side of the quire to smoke the spare clergy. Cannot remember what to do with concelebrants as I avoid concelebrated Masses like the plague.

4. The bishop will usually use one mitre throughout the Mass. I usually wear it for the procession in, for the Epistle, for the Abolution and the Blessing and for the stagger out. If I am very lucky there are a couple of flunkies - erm, chaplains - who make sure I have my mitre and crosier at the right times - hopefully!

5. One that is in CW, but I would go for one of the less involved ones as that tends to eliminate cock-ups.

6. Would not know. Around here Ritual Notes, Elliot, or Percy Dearmer prevail depending on the parish.

+PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Tabernacle should be empty if it is on the High Altar. If you have a hanging pyx you do not have to do this.

I'm fascinated by this direction: could you explain? What about aumbries in the high altar sanctuary?
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
If you are still doing it 'Punch and Judy' style...

I like you.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

I find it easiest to incense clergy by telling them that they know absolutely nothing about liturgy and hymnody.
I can think of more than a few who would take that as a compliment!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Tabernacle should be empty if it is on the High Altar. If you have a hanging pyx you do not have to do this.

I'm fascinated by this direction: could you explain? What about aumbries in the high altar sanctuary?
I have never quite worked it out either, but if your parish follows Rome (hopefully at a respectful distance) in liturgical matters it is a requirement of at least the EF rubrics that the MBS be removed from a Tabby on the High Altar. Hopefully TT or one of the other knowledgeable Romans will come along and fill us in on the "whys and wherefores." My initial thought was that it was to save dodgy episcopal knees.

PD

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dear All,

" ... helping to plan a Pontifical Solemn Mass in a C of E parish ... "

Er, what does helping mean or imply?

1. You've never done this before?

2. Are there others with who have done this before?

If you haven't done such a thing before, go quickly, post haste, and find someone who has; and further, someone with years of experience dealing with episcopal ceremonial.

Find that person or persons with the express intent to have them with you on site for the Mass itself. No offense, but unless I am very wrong, by your questions here I can tell that you don't have the experience or background to plan and execute with ease the ceremonial required for this event.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following this thread at a (respectful!) distance. But when I first saw it I thought "Goodness, the Pope is celebrating Mass at a CofE church??". Turns out everybody else knows that "Pontifical" is the new "Episcopal". Is this grade inflation, hyperbole or what?

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
Following this thread at a (respectful!) distance. But when I first saw it I thought "Goodness, the Pope is celebrating Mass at a CofE church??". Turns out everybody else knows that "Pontifical" is the new "Episcopal". Is this grade inflation, hyperbole or what?

Pontiff is just another word for Bishop. Nothing new here. (Hence the pope's title, "Supreme Pontiff".)

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Michael. "Supreme Pontiff" was a sort of tautology to me. I now understand.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
Thanks, Michael. "Supreme Pontiff" was a sort of tautology to me. I now understand.

Tis ok. It does often get abbreviated to just "Pontiff", which is probably the cause of the confusion.

For my part, I don't subscribe to the doctrine and ecclesiology that underpins "Pontifex Maximus".

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I have never quite worked it out either, but if your parish follows Rome (hopefully at a respectful distance) in liturgical matters it is a requirement of at least the EF rubrics that the MBS be removed from a Tabby on the High Altar. Hopefully TT or one of the other knowledgeable Romans will come along and fill us in on the "whys and wherefores." My initial thought was that it was to save dodgy episcopal knees.

PD

Not quite TT but if I may assist:

The Roman Rite is a rite full of vestiges, especially in the EF. The most obvious vestige is the kyrie, which is a vestige of the intercessory litanies* which once existed in the Roman Rite (as they still do in the Byzantine rite). Another is the commingling, a vestige of the fermentum, which we discussed hereabouts recently.

The removal of the Blessed Sacrament at a Pontifical Mass in the EF is another vestige. The ceremonies of the Pontificale Romanum vestigally presume that the Blessed Sacrament is not reserved on or near the principal altar. Accordingly, where it is reserved there, it needs to be removed to another place. The Ceremoniale Episcoporum which governs this kind of thing in the OF isn't as explicit. However, it prescribes (at CE49) that the place of reservation in a Cathedral is in some place away from the main altar and describes both the episcopal liturgy in the Cathedral and the Stational Mass as if this were so. Removing he Blessed Sacrament to another place would, therefore, seem fitting and it is commonly done both in my diocese and in at least one of our neighbours.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

Cheers, Trisagion! That would have been my guess, but guess it would have been as I am not terribly well up on the Roman Rite. It is literally, beyond my province. That said, some of the clergy insist on importing chucks of it into the BCP, but they do so without approval which paradoxically stops controversy raging about it in this little corner of the Church.

PD

[ 26. May 2012, 14:30: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there not also something about the bishop being the fount of the sacraments and that the eucharist in one sense,but certainly not all, starts from the bishop's celebration .For that reason the Blessed Sacrament should not be reserved on the altar at the beginning of a solemn episcopal or pontifical celebration ?
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Is there not also something about the bishop being the fount of the sacraments and that the eucharist in one sense,but certainly not all, starts from the bishop's celebration .For that reason the Blessed Sacrament should not be reserved on the altar at the beginning of a solemn episcopal or pontifical celebration ?

Whilst an interesting reflection, it has about it the sense of a post hoc rationalisation of an historical practice: a bit like all that "ambo as the table of the Word" stuff.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this thread a wind up? Even for Ecclesiantics?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some days, leo, it is difficult to tell. [Big Grin] But I rather like the blend of information and, um, comments. I'm sure the OPer can distinguish between the two.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I it is a requirement of at least the EF rubrics that the MBS be removed from a Tabby on the High Altar ... My initial thought was that it was to save dodgy episcopal knees.

PD

Not quite TT but if I may assist:

The Roman Rite is a rite full of vestiges, especially in the EF.

The removal of the Blessed Sacrament at a Pontifical Mass in the EF is another vestige. The ceremonies of the Pontificale Romanum vestigally presume that the Blessed Sacrament is not reserved on or near the principal altar. Accordingly, where it is reserved there, it needs to be removed to another place. The Ceremoniale Episcoporum which governs this kind of thing in the OF isn't as explicit. However, it prescribes (at CE49) that the place of reservation in a Cathedral is in some place away from the main altar and describes both the episcopal liturgy in the Cathedral and the Stational Mass as if this were so. Removing he Blessed Sacrament to another place would, therefore, seem fitting and it is commonly done both in my diocese and in at least one of our neighbours.

Yes, the for reason for removal of the reserved sacrament is vestigial, but it is also pertinent. The pontifical Mass forms of the various Latin rites, as well as the origins papal pontifical Mass and many of their subsequent developments, came centuries before the practice of reservation of the Blessed Sacrament was at all common on the main altar tables of churches (or cathedrals, where that happened). So the earlier and later episcopal ceremonial books were written, not with the idea of removing the Blessed Sacrament in any way, but on the assumption that the reserved sacrament was not kept there in the first place.

Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament on the high or main altar of churches is a relatively late development beginning in the last five hundred years of church history and after the Reformation. The first fifteen hundred years of Latin liturgy knew nothing of altar tabernacles as we know them today. Slowly, off-altar aumbries and hanging pyxes and tabernacles came into use.

For Roman Catholics those various types of reservation of the Blessed Sacrament continued up until the decision of the Sacred Congregation of Rites of 21 August, 1863, put an end to the employment of such receptacles. Of course even that ruling was lifted in the years following Vatican Council II.

See Cath. Encyclopedia / Tabernacle

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

The bishop as the "font." That is what we call "spiritualized reasoning." The real reason isn't at hand or apparent, so a spiritualozed and pious, usually super-pious, story is concocted to cover the lack of real facts. See my post on pontifical ceremonies and the Blessed Sacrament.

Spiritualized reasoning isn't confined to pontificalia. It's often used in religion, especially in wider matters liturgical and ceremonial, when the real answer can't be readily determined by factual research.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that my 'interesting reflection' came from a piece submitted a long time ago by Triple Tiara who knows more than a thing or two.
Indeed it wasn't until about the 16th centuries that tabernacles on the altars of Catholic churches became common,with the Most Blessed Sacrament being reserved beforehand in a hanging pyx or in an aumbry or sacrament house beside or near the altar.

In spite of the suggestions about the tabernacle being empty at a pontifical celebrations few cathedrals before Vat 2 would have actually had the tabernacle empty or not at all on the High Altar.Westminster cathedral springs to mind,Salzburg cathedral and of course St Peter's in Rome. Nowadays there are many churches,not only cathedrals, which do not have a tabernacle on the altar.

On Holy Saturday at the First Mass of the Resurrection the tabernacle should be empty as an indication that the daily celebrations have been suspended and that it all starts again from the celebration of the Resurrection.

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

I do not ever recalling seeing a Tabby on the high altar of a cathedral, though they were often so placed in parish churches. I seem to recall that at some point the old Congregation of Rites sent out a reminder that Cathedral Tabernacles were to be located in a prominent side chapel, and that instruction became the basis for the modern legislation governing the placement of Tabernacles in new churches. Unfortunately I cannot give you chapter and verse as I am not Roman Catholic or Anglo-Papalist, just an ordinary High Church Protestant.

PD

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
a Tabby on the high altar PD

Is a tabby de rigeur for anglo-cats?

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

The fact that the Sacred Congregation of rites sent out a reminder about the tabernacle on the High altar of cathedrals was presumably because not to many cathedrals 'obeyed' the directive.Certainly here is Scotland I don't remember any cathedral not having a tabernacle on the High Altar before Vat.2,Edinburgh,Glasgow,Paisley,Motherwell,Oban,Ayr/Dumfries and Aberdeen.Probably only Edinburgh still has a tabernacle on or near the High altar nowadays.In Austria Salzburg had no tabernacle on the High altar,but all of the others did,at least the ones which I knew,Vienna,Klagenfurt,Innsbruck,St Poelten,Eisenstadt,Linz.If I remember rightly Cologne had no tabernacle on the High Altar and I'm not too familiar with other German cathedrals
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
a Tabby on the high altar PD

Is a tabby de rigeur for anglo-cats?
So that's what you set amongst Low Church pigeons?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016