homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This one has Mark Betts' name on (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: This one has Mark Betts' name on
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Mark--

Believe it or not, as many of us have explicitly told you, we're trying to help you. Even in Hell. And we don't JUST sling mud (and worse) in Hell--sometimes, our fights evolve into really interesting discussions.

You're looking at the Ship through a lens--one that isn't the right prescription, so you're missing the most basic stuff.

Why not give yourself a week to not fight with anyone on the Ship, not throw your religious baggage around wildly, and not try to score clever remark points? Get some fresh air. Read "The Way of a Pilgrim", "Poustinia", "The Philokalia", or "God Is Not Reasonable". (Part of my journey includes drawing on Orthodox works.)

Then, gently, and with as open a mind as you can manage, rediscover the Ship. Just *read* the gentler boards (All Saints, Heaven, Circus). Start at the beginning of this thread, and read it as if your old understanding of it was Anglican, and there's an Orthodox understanding available. [Biased]

Take a little break from posting.

Mark- this is really good advice. You've had some excellent spiritual advice from Josephine, and some good advice on Ship manners here. (You've also managed to get Anselmina to show exasperation, which as she's IMHO one of the sanest and most level people on the Ship, is quite an achievement, but that's by the by.)
I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure I speak for many when I say that we do want you around, if you can get used to our ways. So, as Golden Key suggests, why not take a bit of a break, make a fresh start and ease yourself gently back in through some of the less controversial boards.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:

I don't really have anything against anyone on here....

But do you have anything *for* them? And if not, why are you here?

I registered on the Ship in 2006. I had been lurking for a while, and the feeling I had, reading the discussions on here, was as if I were sitting on my own in the pub, overhearing a really interesting conversation going on at the next table. And then one day, the realisation dawned that I could *join in* that conversation if I wanted. I could pull up a chair and venture an opinion into a discussion between some of the regulars here. So I registered.

The fact that I haven't made it to 1,500 posts in 6 years is a good indicator that most of the time, I just sit quietly with my mates, wiping the condensation off the side of my pint and occasionally nodding.

But what made you want to pull up a chair?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pull up a chair? That doesn't sound like Betsy. He's more like the slightly scary one who's carrying on a shouty, one-sided conversation with the barman while everyone else tries to avoid eye contact.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't usually visit hell threads about particular shipmates but I'm going to make another attempt.

In this post, a little over a week ago, I made reference to something a priest in my diocese said to me about the insignificance of how or why people join the Orthodox Church when compared to the challenge of becoming and remaining Orthodox Christians.

Here is an edited transcript of a talk he gave on the subject.

I also wonder whether, as we approach the fast, some words of St John Chrysostom might be apposite:

quote:
Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbour.'

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Michael. Very much appreciated.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... At least you can probably understand why I don't have much to say about Orthodoxy - if you want a good witness to the faith, there are better witnesses on here than me, including ex-Anglicans.

Bad news, dude: all Christians are witnesses for their faith, every moment of every day, in how they live their lives. Which includes virtual life. If you're so sure there are better witnesses around, perhaps that means you actually are aware your own witness needs an upgrade.

Oh, and continuing with the divorcees' analogy: you've just posted the equivalent of "Well, I can't say anything about #2, but let me tell you about #1." Do you think #2 is happy that all you want to talk about is #1, and you have nothing good to say about #2? What's up with that? OliviaG

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Qlib--

If you're bored, then you might enjoy this mug!
[Snigger]

(Having problems with loading the page, but that should be the right one.)

Wise woman that she is, she has no presence on this thread. Did you realise you posted twice?
Sorry. Connection hung for minutes between "Add Reply" and anything else. Finally hit "Enter" again.

And I posted in response to her post. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Honestly, you've no interest in having a serious conversation with anyone unless they already agree with you, have you?

Dude, you said that to *Anselmina*? [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Back in my usenet days, we would have called that the Pee-Wee Herman Defense: "I know you are, but what am I?"

Mockingale's got it right; you're constantly dumping about your ex/your relationship issues in public and that makes you unpleasant to be around. You can't have a reasonable discussion in your current state. The Ship is not a substitute for therapy. The Ship is a social/discussion environment. Find another outlet for your angst. I would suggest a spiritual director. If you can't post on the Ship without being antagonistic ... stop posting on the Ship.

On the non-sarcastic side, Trisagion and Josephine are giving you terrific advice. Wisdom, attend! Huge hint: because from another post it looks like you have not picked up on this basic fact, a lot of people on the Ship are "converts" of one stripe or another.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't really have anything against anyone on here, and I don't harbour grudges.

Except about your ex-church! [Disappointed] [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Having said all that, if you don't want to believe me, that's up to you. Do you expect me to just forget about the problems in my former affiliations, as if they don't matter any more?

It would probably do you better if you just forget about it, yes. But if you can't, at least shut the fuck up about it. You do NOBODY any good, and yourself great harm, by yammering on about it.

quote:
Seriously, I know people don't get what my fixation is with protestantism and all its flavours, but what else is there to talk about in hell?

You misunderstand us. We understand full well what your fixation is. We just want you to shut up about it.

And look around. Lots of people talk about other things in Hell. And -- fancy this -- you don't NEED to talk in Hell at all!

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Then we get to taunt all the poor Orthodoxen because of how they've been used solely due to Marxie-Mark's idea that their church is a better place to lie to himself.

Damn, I was hoping we could skip that part.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
The amount sanctimoniousness and patronising talk on this thread is making me bilious. That's without taking into account the yappy little convert.

Thank you. I think this thread should be archived under, "The Holier Than Thou Competition." Of course I think the winner is already clear.
Do you think if I try harder I can make you two throw up?
[Killing me]
Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is, I believe, from my Islamic Studies time, Michael, a hadith to very similar effect about derogatory gossip about one's neighbour.

I wonder if there may be a common Semitic religious provenance for this?

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re derogatory speech and religious teachings:

One step on the Buddhist Eight-Fold Path is Right Speech. (Wikipedia link.)

The Deadline Buddhist's blog has a summary of a talk on right speech given by Sharon Salzberg, a really good writer and teacher of Insight/Vipassana meditation.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He already seems confused and upset by different realms of Christianity. If we add Islam and Buddhism his head might go pop!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Then let's get it down to the basic gospel of ET:

Be goooooood!

Or the Dalai Lama, who's said that his basic religion is kindness. So:

Be kind!

Or Sinatra:

Do Be Do Be Do!

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

It's funny you should ask that - my honest answer is that I don't know, I just did.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
The amount sanctimoniousness and patronising talk on this thread is making me bilious. That's without taking into account the yappy little convert.

Thank you. I think this thread should be archived under, "The Holier Than Thou Competition." Of course I think the winner is already clear.
Oh, I don't know... there are other contenders.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What did you think of Michael Astley's post?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:

Other than for the occasional cringe-worthy identification of Orthodoxy with Christianity, this is a pretty good talk. Thanks.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, you know how it is when you belong to the One True Church. [Angel]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

It's funny you should ask that - my honest answer is that I don't know, I just did.
FWIW, I hope you stay and enjoy the place. You've got my back up, but that's as much my fault for letting you. If and when you settle in, you'll probably have a really interesting time in the debates. I hope to meet you, more amicably, on another thread.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
What did you think of Michael Astley's post?

It was good - I'm no stranger to what the writer had to say. thanks Michael

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

What Anselmina said. I hope you stay too. Get a round in. Sit back. Watch other people argue for a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
You've got my back up, but that's as much my fault for letting you. If and when you settle in, you'll probably have a really interesting time in the debates. I hope to meet you, more amicably, on another thread.

Don't let me get your back up - you know what it's like down here!

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Well, you know how it is when you belong to the One True Church. [Angel]

[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:

Other than for the occasional cringe-worthy identification of Orthodoxy with Christianity, this is a pretty good talk. Thanks.
That's OK. Parts of it made me smile. Father Andrew speaks as he finds - a bit like you, actually [Biased] - and I generally appreciate it. I recognise myself and some others I know in some of what he says.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
There is, I believe, from my Islamic Studies time, Michael, a hadith to very similar effect about derogatory gossip about one's neighbour.

I wonder if there may be a common Semitic religious provenance for this?

Quite possibly. I'm not sufficiently well read but St John Chrysostom was familiar with Jewish literature and culture. Something probably filtered through into his culture or writing.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It isn't being familiar with teaching but living it out that counts.

Now for all I know you could be a very holy person in the non-virtual world. Unfortunately if you are, there is little to show of it in your style of posting.

A lot of what goes on here is about friendly disagreement and acceptance of those we disagree with.This board is not the exception, it is the safety valve which keeps the rest of the forum friendly.

In some of the discussions some people share things which are personal. To do so there needs to be a certain amount of trust. Posting in a way that comes over as disruptive breaks that trust. (Deliberate or not your posting style comes over as disruptive.) It isn't about being nice. It's about respecting the views of others and being honest. when someone posts something like, "You've got my back up," there's usually some lack of respect in there.

So if you are familiar with the teachings that Michael Astley posted, can we please see the evidence in the way you post?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This may or may not be a helpful analogy, and it's probably rather too Purgatorial for Hell but here we go ...

I've known two fellas who transgendered ie. had the 'op' and became women. 'Gender realignment.' Big decision. Part of their transition, as one might expect, was to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... (you get the picture) ...

That was part of their realignment, part of the process. One of them was a Christian, so it was doubly difficult as many of his church friends cold-shouldered him - but by no means all.

So, by analogy, I'm not at all surprised that converts to Orthodoxy from Protestantism or Catholicism (or vice-versa) are going to want to talk the whole thing off their chests and that slagging off their previous affiliation might form part of that process. We've seen examples on these Boards before.

It seems, though, from the Orthodox blogsite that someone linked to which outlined the pain-in-the-neckness that can accompany conversion, that the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church(TM) is aware of this tendency and has measures in place to deal with it. We've seen some of that in the advice that Michael, Josephine and Mousethief have offered. It is wise advice and worthy of all acceptation.

Meanwhile, over at the other One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church(TM), as represented by the estimable Trisagion, we find another nugget of wisdom, some very wise advice indeed, namely, not to talk about one's previous ecclesial affiliation for five years.

I am in awe of such wisdom and the self-discipine it takes to avail oneself of it.

I can't hold a candle to any of these wise advisors.

But I can express an opinion.

Which is, Mark Betts, will you fucking shut up?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Good.

I hope you do.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamaliel

I guess there may have been some misunderstanding in Mark's mind about the way Hell functions; may still be, to judge by the latest message to Anselmina.

I've never had a Hell call, but they always strike me as challenging. I've seen lots of different kinds of responses; an immediate "hands up, I got that wrong, I'm sorry"; a studious ignoring, a dignified defence etc. And "tit for tat". Folks are free to go whatever way seems best to them.

But it ain't all about "tit for tat"-type responses. You aren't obliged to pay back in a similar coin. Maybe Mark thinks that's the way this "game" is played. Whereas it isn't a game so much as a necessary safety valve for pissed-offness.

I took Michael Astley's post to heart personally, not just as a pointer to good Orthodox behaviour. Mark's tendency, as I saw it, to post before thinking (or doing even a basic bit of Googling, e.g. re GLE in this thread) put my back up as well. It looks mischievous; the suspicions of troll-like behaviour (even if someone isn't an out and out troll) seem quite reasonable. And some of the stuff on this thread looks mischievous as well. But maybe it's no more than thinking that "tit for tat" is not just appropriate, but expected?

"You know what it's like down here".

Not sure he really does. Or has really captured the ethos of the place "out there" on the other Boards either. Easy to make the wrong assumptions in your early days. I did a bit of that. If we remember back into those mists of time, my guess is that a lot of us did.

I'm now back to making some allowance, Gamaliel, seeing how that works out. Somewhat regretting some (but not all) of my earlier responses to annoyance. Not the annoyance itself. Heck, I wasn't alone in being annoyed! Mark has been very annoying.

Great to see Michael Astley making this sort of contribution. Props to him. Let's see where this goes.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my experience, people who draw the sort of barrage upon themselves that Mark Betts has drawn tend to react in one of the following ways:

1. Help, help! I'm being repressed! Everyone come and see the violence inherent in the system!
  2. All of this petty squabbling is childish and beneath me, so I'm not going to respond.
  3. Yeah, I'm a knob, so what? Deal.
  4. Oh dear, I do seem to be a knob. I apologise profusely.

Mark Betts' reaction does not seem natural to me.

[ 13. June 2012, 15:07: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect Barnabas is right and that Mark hasn't 'got' the purpose of Hell. But he's not alone there, I struggle with Hell at times and tend to make it more Purgatorial, which is my default mode. Hence the use of 'language' down here ... to keep it Hellish.

But it takes more than that to make a Hell-post sufficiently Hellish. I'm not very good at it.

Why is Barnabas so annoyingly reasonable ... [Biased] [Mad]

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
In my experience, people who draw the sort of barrage upon themselves that Mark Betts has drawn tend to react in one of the following ways:

1. Help, help! I'm being repressed! Everyone come and see the violence inherent in the system!
  2. All of this petty squabbling is childish and beneath me, so I'm not going to respond.

Are you saying that he has failed the Turing Test?
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Why is Barnabas so annoyingly reasonable ...

Kettle and pot?

[Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

He's more reasonable than I am and I have a Hell call to prove it ...

[Razz]

Barnabas62 is one of the nicest and wisest guys on the Ship. He must die. 'If you see the Barnabas on the road, kill him,' to coin a phrase.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nah, Gamaliel's mostly just annoying.

[Biased]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

[Big Grin]

Now there's an annoying grin.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
quote:

I'm saying he's acting like a troll.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
quote:

I'm saying he's acting like a troll.
Or possibly just a clueless pratt?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with Ricardus.

He's just trolly enough to set off the alarm bells in some folk, and just "guileless" enough to inspire pity in some. Great way to stir up low-levels of dissension in the ranks.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

...Oh, and I do get the bit about the scare quotes and italics - I had underestimated how provocative they were, but now I know better. So, hey, I'll leave them out in future. Deal?

This is Mark Betts signing off.

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...Oh, and I do get the bit about the scare quotes and italics - I had underestimated how provocative they were, but now I know better. So, hey, I'll leave them out in future. Deal?

This is Mark Betts signing off.

... ENDOFLINE
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Half disappointed - I was learning so much from him about how things work in the place I am not easy with. [Biased] Continuing with my education though!!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Half disappointed - I was learning so much from him about how things work in the place I am not easy with. [Biased] Continuing with my education though!!

You could start a thread in the Styx asking for explanations of how Hell works.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:

You could start a thread in the Styx asking for explanations of how Hell works.

Moo

I could - but I would much rather learn by example. I've had a go already and learned a lot. I'm a fluffy bunnie deep down but open for development!!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I'd say I was a number 3 man, myself.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Deal?

Sure. We all live and learn.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'd say I was a number 3 man, myself.

Heh. I agree. And I say that with admiration.

[ 13. June 2012, 23:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ma! MA! Kelly likes me! We're going to the prom!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm holding you to that.

Hi Pete! Hating me yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:
.... As an ex-Anglican (and other flavours of protestantism) I do indeed carry alot of baggage, and I often post with reference to my past - doesn't everyone?

Best bit of advice I ever received, when I became a Catholic nearly thirty years ago, was to say nothing whatsoever about my previous church (in my case Methodism) for five years. You might consider the value of that advice.
Very true, but hey I've just done 6 years.
So, about those snivelling bastard Angicans .........

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

After discussions with Kelly (*bats eyelids*) I hereby propose that this Ship have a dinner dance, at least annually.

I'm open to advice about the best time of year (when is the weather nicest in the Ship's sailing waters) but I'd prefer not to leave it TOO long in case my date gets cold feet.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016