homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why doesn't Stephen Green just shut up and go away. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why doesn't Stephen Green just shut up and go away.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was almost English. Do keep trying.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
That was almost English. Do keep trying.

Lovely to meet you, by the way..

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may be a little confused, the nice friendly welcoming thread is on the All Saints board.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just four posts to go, Marv. Be strong.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I'm not that much happier with Shipmates who think they know exactly what Hell should be like, to be honest.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm not that much happier with Shipmates who think they know exactly what Hell should be like, to be honest.

I did introduce myself in All Saints, now why don't you just tell me what I'm doing wrong! Sure, I get that Hell isn't a nice place to be, but you are not making much sense...

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Has he ever heard of the virtue of charity towards ones fellow men ?

He would probably argue that he's being charitable by warning people of the danger they're in of going to hell if they don't repent. That's the usual line taken by self-righteous bigots like him.
Anyway, if you think he's bad, don't forget Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church - the yanks always manage to go one better than us.

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:

I did introduce myself in All Saints, now why don't you just tell me what I'm doing wrong! Sure, I get that Hell isn't a nice place to be, but you are not making much sense...
Put a sock in it, you two!

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Has he ever heard of the virtue of charity towards ones fellow men ?

He would probably argue that he's being charitable by warning people of the danger they're in of going to hell if they don't repent. That's the usual line taken by self-righteous bigots like him.
Anyway, if you think he's bad, don't forget Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church - the yanks always manage to go one better than us.

Stevie-boy Green is a saint compared to them!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
Put a sock in it, you two!

Hee hee. I like this one, he's funny.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just about to post something similar, Marv.

And as for the strident n00b--I'm sorry, somebody sitting there hovering at "49" reminds me of the kid playing tag on the playground who yells "Time out!" the minute anyone gets near him. Eat him, Marv.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I was just about to post something similar, Marv.

And as for the strident n00b--I'm sorry, somebody sitting there hovering at "49" reminds me of the kid playing tag on the playground who yells "Time out!" the minute anyone gets near him. Eat him, Marv.

Maybe you should both join Christian Voice - there would be three of you then!

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[rummages in cupboard for mustard]
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
[rummages in cupboard for mustard]

[Killing me]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this going to turn into another cannibalism thread?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't tempt me to bite your head off.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Maybe you should both join Christian Voice - there would be three of you then!

Not a bad idea, actually. Because then Kelly and I would hold 67% of the voting power and would be able to kick Green out and reform CV in our own image.

Whether the media would still be interested in the pronouncements of "Martian BunnyAxe Voice" is another matter, of course...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, next to my dream gig of hosting a morning show with Duchess, that is the best scenario I have seen on the Ship yet.

Mark Betts, I see you are now at 68. Today you have become a man. Mazeltov.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They wheeled him out again today as a spokesman for Christianity.

(Radio 2)

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is much easier to make a programme when you know the response you are going to get.

Someone with a more nuanced theology might say something the programme makers were not expecting. That would never do.

Stephen Green is nothing if not predictable.

(That last sentence works with only the first four letters.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am a doofus.

I meant to say last four WORDS. Duh!

And I preview posted too.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
They wheeled him out again today as a spokesman for Christianity.

(Radio 2)

[Disappointed]

Well we all know what the BBC thinks about Christianity... Go figure!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:

BBC Sunday breakfast shows tend to be pro-Christian. What the BBC does is tailor content to the audience, so what the BBC thinks differs according to time of day and station broadcast on.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
quote:

BBC Sunday breakfast shows tend to be pro-Christian. What the BBC does is tailor content to the audience, so what the BBC thinks differs according to time of day and station broadcast on.
Not only that but Radio 4 and Radio 2 have their Thought for the Day/Pause for Thought every morning which are often (though not always) Christian in content. Radio 3 often broadcasts Choral Evensong and services for major festivals are often broadcast too. For instance, this evening (May 17th) Radio 4 will be broadcasting a live Eucharist for Ascension Day from St Martin in the Fields.

[ 17. May 2012, 16:19: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not S. Martin's this year - somewhere less well-known.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're quite right, it was t St Sepulchre's this year. Even so, my point still stands.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed - I have listened to part of it - really good and it takes for granted that it doesn't have to explain itself - just straight in.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You're quite right, it was t St Sepulchre's this year. Even so, my point still stands.

No doubt just as liberal, and politically slightly left (of Trotsky)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Where the fuck does 'the left' begin? Ken Clarke?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Where the fuck does 'the left' begin? Ken Clarke?
That's a bit like saying "When do Anglican clergypersons preach politics? I thought it was all about the Gospel!"

--------------------

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not only that but Radio 4 and Radio 2 have their Thought for the Day/Pause for Thought every morning which are often (though not always) Christian in content. Radio 3 often broadcasts Choral Evensong and services for major festivals are often broadcast too. For instance, this evening (May 17th) Radio 4 will be broadcasting a live Eucharist for Ascension Day from St Martin in the Fields.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OOPS - what i meant to say was....

The BBC is like Douglas Adam's Electric Monk. Not only able to watch all known beliefs but believe in them all simultaneously as well.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Wow, it took you a whole month to think that up?

--------------------

Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once heard Stephen Green speak at the Oxford Union. When he said that it is 'physically impossible for two men to have sex', a friend of mine stood up and said 'Have you tried? I have and I can assure you it's entirely possible.'

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

I dont return to my old threads very often. Just like now!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Double thread necromancy? I think not.

Marvin
Hellhost

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016