homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Apprentice 2012 BBC1 Weds (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Apprentice 2012 BBC1 Weds
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something occurred to em the other day. All this money they make selling stuff on the streets etc. Where does it all go?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad the stew team won, because the meatball team went against L'dSugar's express statement that it was all about "gourmet" food. It would have been a travesty of justice (slight exaggeration!) had the Meatballs won.

Regarding the profits, I always assumed they went into the coffers of whoever is paying for the programme to be made - is that the BBC, L'dSugar, or whoever? They have to "suck up" the losses that are made and provide the initial start up cash, so it's only right they get the profits. Whoever "they" are.
It's like on "Bargain Hunt" when the Bonus Buy that the teams don't choose to sell gets sold anyway and makes a profit. I assume the profit goes into the coffers of the production company who make the show.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bargain Hunt profits probably go to cancel the inevitable losses. I don't think they actually make a great deal from the process.

The Apprentice profits, I would assume, go to Lord S, as he provides the initial cash. Along with all of the stuff he hires, I doubt there is much actual "profit" in the process either.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with these people when it comes to choosing who is going back to the boardroom?

Adam should not have chosen Azhar but Stephen to go back as he clearly made as many bad decisions as Katie but Stephen is a slippery character who dodges responsibility, and his shiny 3piece suit is a fashion crime!

I think Lord Sugar saved Adam as the next task is the one he is suited for as he has a market trading business.

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanny Ogg:
What is it with these people when it comes to choosing who is going back to the boardroom?

They are as bad at that as most other things.

Adam didn't take Stephen in because a) Stephen keeps saving Adams ass, so they are bestest of friends. Or so Adam thinks. and b) Stephen would have put Adam on the table, and cut out his heart as a personal sacrifice to Lord Sugar if he had. Adam knew that in a boardroom battle, Stephen would be dangerous.

I think he will end up in the boardroom with some of the other boardroom sharks, and talk himself into the taxi. What is more, I think Lord S knows what a shithead he is. As he says, do not underestimate Lord S.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

The right team lost, because they didn't get it. They were not very good. And I can see why Lord S fired the person he did, but I think there was a case for a double firing this week.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Val Kyrie
Apprentice
# 17079

- Posted      Profile for Val Kyrie   Email Val Kyrie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The right team lost, because they didn't get it. They were not very good. And I can see why Lord S fired the person he did, but I think there was a case for a double firing this week.

Agreed, because the project wasn't really managed at all. I think Azhar is quite an energy suck - but I have been shouting at the TV about Jade for a long time. I wouldn't trust Jade to manage my money.
Posts: 27 | From: Up North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Should have been the other bloke.

If what was on the telly was what happened, Adam called every single strategic decision wrong - the football match (12:30 kick-off? Rangers v Hearts? That was insane!), the spend, the menu, the name, the price, everything. When offered two pieces of advice he consistently followed the wrong one, even if his own original opinion was better.

But on the day he called every tactical decision correctly. He realised the pitch was in the wrong place, he realised the price was wrong, he realised the marketing "team" weren't selling bugger all, and made the right choices.

The smarmy git who wasn't called back to the room, as well as being a liar, was crap on the day. Dressing up as a pizza to sell meatballs was a shite. Poncing around in a green-white-orange tricolour was a shite idea. The bus was a shite idea. A shite idea carried out badly - they obviously had no notions of the distances between the places or the time it took to get there or who walked by where. An hour walking round Endinburgh the day before might have fixed that. Or even a few minutes with a map, a guidebook, and Wikipedia.

And worst of all he was demanding - screaming stridently at the top of his voice - that the price be put up to 7.99 when Adam already knew they couldn't sell at 5.99! And acting all hurt when that bollocks advice was not taken.

He only had five faults displayed here - he was ignorant, incompetant, unimaginative, spiteful, and dishonest. So I suppose he might make a good estate agent.

The ideal team would have had the scottish woman whose name I have forgotten as manager up until 6am on the day of the task, and Adam boss from then on. And smarmy-pants locked in a soundproof cupboard where his lying whinges could go unheard.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which episode were you watching ken?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well last night I think Jade did what Adam did the week before and didn't bring back an obvious candidate to the boardroom, presumably due to misguided 'friendship'. Last week Adam should have brought back Stephen, this week Jade should have included Laura in her three. Lord Sugar even gave her a hint when he asked Laura how much she'd sold.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Azhar was irritating - his constant phone calls asking for the strategy to be 'run through' again could have been his own strategy to make Jade look incompetent, and she didn't need anyone's help with that. I'm amazed she stayed.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Which episode were you watching ken?

The one where they were trying to sell food from vans in Edinburgh.

--------------------
Ken

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

So not this week's one then [Big Grin]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Don;t pick on poor Ken, just because he's a week behind the rest of the world. Some people are slow like that.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Val Kyrie
Apprentice
# 17079

- Posted      Profile for Val Kyrie   Email Val Kyrie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken... You're fired.
Posts: 27 | From: Up North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I turn on the telly, I see what comes on. If its boring I use the remote to see something else. If its all boring I put a DVD on. There is no intention or plan involved!

Also most of my TV watching is done between midnight and 3am.

--------------------
Ken

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ooh just seen this thread ...
my second fav tv programme on at the moment (first is the current series of NCIS being shown)

looking forwards to tomorrows nights episode ...

who's turn is it next to go?!

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
anyone watching this evening?

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
anyone watching this evening?

Yup - watching here...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

any thoughts so far?

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

although having seen a bit more, i'm not so sure ...

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yup - is it just me that is really not keen on Steven?

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

nope, i dont like him either.

i dont like jade, her voice annoys me. as did laura's. glad she went and not tom
x

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was really hoping Stephen was going to be on the losing team this week, he deserved to go. Adam might be a sexist so and so but he was rather endearing in this task.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wrong team lost again this week. I'm hoping Steven will be on next week's losing team - having watched "You're Fired" the audience does not like him either!

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to say the wrong team lost but both teams made mistakes and there wasn't much in it financially.

I was very impressed with how well Tom handled himself in the boardroom. He didn't try to play tactics with who he brought in. He acknowledged his own mistakes without talking himself out of the process. He stood up for himself and gave credible reasons for why one of the others should go without it seeming like he was merely trying to deflect blame. And for the most part he avoided the talking-over-each-other snipe-fests that sometimes pass for discussion in the boardroom.

Not really sure why Sugar thought that mentioning he had a successful business meant he was not serious about the process.

I can't say I was gutted that Laura went but I think Jade should have gone. Her slightly better sales on the day are offset by her overall poor record. But her card's marked anyway.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Steven's got away with it so far. He's manipulative, two faced and sly. And his eyes are a bit sticky-outy for my liking (tho obviously this isn't a reason to get rid).

I started out really very much disliking Adam, but I agree, he was quite endearing on the task. I think working with all these clever women might have done him some good. I'd like to see Karen be subjected to his sexism, I think he'd learn a lot from that. I don't think he'll last through the CV/Interview episode if he even gets that far.

I'd like tom to win. I too was impressed with his performance in the board room and have, in previous episodes, been impressed with his team-working skills. I think he occasionally falls foul of having a 'can't be arsed' day and we don't hear from him at all, although this will reduce as the number of candidates reduces. I think it's a bit of a shame that next weeks task is a wine one and he was PM this week so probably won't be next week, but that would fit for him well as again, he should know what he's on about. Maybe he'll be good in the background, or being supportive of the PM in that task.

It seems to me that the tasks this time seem to have been more 'fitted' to the backgrounds of the different candidates. Adam could PM a trading/selling task (as a market trader), we've had numerous 'arty' tasks where Gabrielle could flourish (don't like her btw), the wine one coming up...

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Love-guru Smudgelet" suspects a bit of a thing developing between Adam and Jade. Anyone else seeing it?

I've never watched The Apprentice before and am only really watching it this time because the boy is so into it, but it's entertaining viewing. What amazes me is how the majority of these young things have even got as far as being contenders at all for an opportunity like this. Very few of them seem to have even a modicum of common sense or awareness of how the world, let alone the business world, works.

What I like about Tom is that he not only appears to know his stuff but he's also willing to accept the blame and acknowledge his mistakes rather than trying to brush them off onto somebody else: in fact, he is the only one I've seen doing so. And he takes the supporting role well without making a big noise about it. If I were looking for a business partner, he's one I'd feel confident to give it his best shot but also to cover my back, I think. I too can't quite see why Lord Sugar thinks he's not in it for serious reasons.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
What amazes me is how the majority of these young things have even got as far as being contenders at all for an opportunity like this. Very few of them seem to have even a modicum of common sense or awareness of how the world, let alone the business world, works.

Like I said at the start of the series, if any of them were as great at what they do as they claim to be, they'd be out there doing it rather than wasting time appearing on a TV show.

--------------------

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that's me out of the running in the office sweepstake with the departure of the lovely but ineffectual Laura. It's a real shame the team was carpeted on such a slender sales margin. I thought they had the better strategy over all and deserved a btter result, certainly from the handling of their corporate client.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Finally got around to watching this weeks.

Laura is better looking than many of the others. But she was not good enough on the sales this week.

Both teams had some serious mistakes. So it was a toss up who won. I like Gabrielle, so I am glad she won. The losing team were dreadful at talking to the artists, which is a bad mistake. The winning team were dreadful at working with the corporate client, which is also a dreadful mistake.

This week was probably reasonably fair. But I do agree that Steven is a PITA, and should go.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often can't help wondering too if they have ever seen the previous series before. One prime example was, I think, Jade who as PM had to come back into the board room. She also - as in every series and every episode since The Apprentice began - had to choose 2 people to bring back with her.

And she dithered about it and said something like "This is such a surprise"...Like it had been sprung on her suddenly. SURELY as PM who has lost and gone to the Café of Despondency you start thinking about which two you're going to bring back in. D'oh!

ETA I also liked the fact that this week, when they wzere told they were going to Waterloo station, several of them started thinking "Eurostar" & discussing where they might be going. Underneath the arches must have been a big disappointment!

[ 13. May 2012, 07:18: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I also liked the fact that this week, when they wzere told they were going to Waterloo station, several of them started thinking "Eurostar" & discussing where they might be going. Underneath the arches must have been a big disappointment!

Shows how stupid they are - Eurostar services have been running from St Pancras for years now!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I do like the way they try to work out the nature of the task from the location, and never come close.

And how LordS seems to be picking the locations to confuse them.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

funny reaction from nick, about steven's only contribution so far.

a french name for an english sparkling wine. hmmm.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

damn, her voice annoyed the hell outta me, but i quite liked jenna.

hope stephen loses next week.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like next week's will be interesting - make or break for Stephen.

Feel sorry for Jenna but it was a rubbish video.

[ 16. May 2012, 21:06: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was crazy - no wonder they lost. Why am I watching? I need a therapist.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Finally watched this weeks. Both teams made serious mistakes this week. But the right team won, I think.

Jenna shouldn't have gone. I liked her, and I would work for her. Yes her accent is not to everyone's liking, but that is part of her. She is hard working, and will try stuff. And she is likeable.

Steven is a prick. He should have gone, because he failed to help Jenna - or rather stop her making the wrong sort of video, and choosing a French word to push English wine. I so hope his team lose next week, because he will be out if they do.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was actually St Pancras they were summoned to, not Waterloo.

Stephen is such a blame-shifter, I wouldn't trust him with any money of mine! Also, has no-one picked up his resemblance to Eastenders' Dirty Den? It's the "gaaah!" face he pulls.

Slightly annoyed by the inference on You're Fired that Adam knows nothing about art or wine because he's a northerner. I suspect most of the southerners didn't know much either! Reminds me of Susie Blake's snobby newsreader in the Victoria Wood sketches: "We'd like to apologise to people in the north. It must be awful for them."

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
It was actually St Pancras they were summoned to, not Waterloo.

You're right, but the coversation about Waterloo upthread was from the previous episode which was at Waterloo!

--------------------

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

how many scollops is Ricky going to munch his way through?

hope steven loses and is fired this week.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

oooh a double firing!

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

When someone says "Losing is not an option" they deserve to lose. I'm glad Ricky's still in though - he seemed to know what was needed.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I loved it in the boardroom when Steven said something like "If I make a mistake, I'll own up to it and come back the following day with a fresh mind and do exactly the same thing again"

I'm really surprised they didn't bring that up on You're Fired.

[ 23. May 2012, 22:51: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't feel Lord Sugars' decision could have been hard for him this week. In my view the correct choices were made. Looking forward to the next chapter now.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

It was inevitable Stephen was going to go when they lost - he should have gone last week, which might have left Gabrielle with a chance - I felt she had been battered into submission after the wine task last week, when she did so much better than Stephen, but he didn't see it. Mind you she should have known teeth whitening and fish pedicures were not going to cut it.

As for Tom and Adam they appear to be turning into the sivvers of the year.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I loved it in the boardroom when Steven said something like "If I make a mistake, I'll own up to it and come back the following day with a fresh mind and do exactly the same thing again"

I'm really surprised they didn't bring that up on You're Fired.

I was expecting something on that it was such a gift of a comment.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
test

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Final five tonight. I can't understand why Jade is still there and the final remaining woman at that. At least Gabrielle had some artistic talent.

I think Tom or Ricky for the winner.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016