homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vacation lists: What do you forget to pack? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vacation lists: What do you forget to pack?
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the years, I have learned to make a list and check it off whenever I pack for a vacation. Because I pack over several days, as things come available after laundry day, etc, I have even learned some code in case extended family should visit and see the list; condoms, for example, are recorded as "golf gloves."
Still, something always gets missed!
Whether it is that case of water beside the cooler, cutlery just in case I decide to buy and eat an entire barbecued chicken, or a shot glass, or my Treasury of Herman volumes 3,4, and 5 to read while my wife drives, something is always left behind.
So, as vacation planning time approaches, what do you sometimes leave out when making your vacation list and checking it twice?
(Just don't make this thread into a list, make it a conversation filled with engaging stories, or the hosts will quickly kill it dead!)

[ 05. June 2012, 00:18: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember one vaycay a couple of years ago when, nearly an hour into a three-hour trip, DP suddenly got a stricken look on her face and asked me, "Did you see me packing my ostomy supplies? I can't remember doing that." We stopped alongside the road and went through all our bags: nothing. Lots of cursing all the way home. (We did, however, regroup, pack up the missing stuff and start over again.)

Usually what we forget is much less dramatic. We quite often forget our camera, which in these days of smart phones is not that much of a disaster. Hairbrushes...shampoo...toothbrushes...we sometimes overlook those as we're packing.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to buy and bring a proper 21st-century digital camera both times I have been to England.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, even if I carefully plan, I always seem to pack one less pair of underpants than I end up needing. Never fails. OTOH, it has led to adventures in shopping.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Against the times - and come they will - when the suitcase doesn't arrive when I do, I always pack nightie, tolietries, a change of underwear and a clean T shirt in my hand luggage.

The most important thing these days is to remember to pack the chargers for everything (camera, phone, iPad, laptop) plus the doodah for connecting them to foreign power sockets.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nightie. For some reason, I'm always very good at imagining what I'm wearing during the day and therefore remember to pack the right number and combination of clothes. But I forget that, sometimes during the holiday, I have to sleep.

Fortunately, guest house rooms are usually overheated.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Chorister I often forget my nightie!
But I have more problems when it comes to packing to go home, especially when visiting my sister. Its become a standing joke with her now that I always forget something. The last visit I very carefully packed everything and checked everywhere and congratulated myself that I had managed to pack everything. Back home I can't find my hairbrush!! I suspect its sat on my sisters dressing table as I went in there to dry my hair. [Hot and Hormonal]
Oh well I'm returning next week as we move north so I can collect it then.

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around half of my nightwear has been bought at the supermarket near Mr Beet's parents' house - I do seem to have a blind spot about it...

But yes, it's the bringing everything home again where we fail totally. I've not yet left a child behind, but the first couple of phone calls to/from parents after we've visited are usually taken up with identifying which bits of Beethoven Confetti we've left this time... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forget something different each trip...I think it is because I know I must remember whatever it is that I have forgotten the trip before, and therefore I make an especial effort to remember.

So far, it includes, clean knickers; contact lens case & &cts; reading and distance glasses for when lenses are not worn; night attire (and I don't sleep well without it, even in overheated hotel rooms); hairbrush and dryer; socks...it's too depressing to continue!
And I'm dead grumpy if I have not anything to read...which is why I really like my Kindle.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind what I forget to take, fewer socks make the home leg than go away.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
For some reason, even if I carefully plan, I always seem to pack one less pair of underpants than I end up needing. Never fails. OTOH, it has led to adventures in shopping.

Take a tip from old Miss Amanda. She always travels with disposable undies. That way, regardless of how many pairs you pack, you can always get more quite easily -- and you don't have to worry about schlepping dirty undies home with you in your luggage.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of disposable undies except for the paper ones sometimes provided in hospitals when you're having surgery. [Eek!]

As someone who takes thirteen different drugs every day for various health problems, I have never gone on holiday in recent years without forgetting at least one of them. Thankfully I always go on holiday to my sisters place. She's a doctor, her husband is a doctor and her best friend is her GP so a quick text to Dave and a prescription is posted through the letter box on his way home. But I always get soundly lambasted for being crap.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a large family we have often had this problem, once forgetting to pack the bag containing all of Second son's clothes so he only had what he was wearing. A quick visit to a large supermarket ensued.
Last year I forgot to pack Mr Angelica any trousers, (this year he is doing his own packing)

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
Last year I forgot to pack Mr Angelica any trousers, (this year he is doing his own packing)

Part of the plan?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
our honeymoon was a case in point..... we really should have packed before the ceremony, not after the reception & night in posh hotel. Spent the day of arrival in the local supermarket!

We also have half a dozen pots of talcum powder (essential for walking holidays) due to our inability to pack any of the previously-acquired pots.

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Techie toys can be a treat to take to travel.
Once, as we approached a scenic overlook (a massive drop over the side of a cliff where one really ought not to stop) I suddenly realized that I had not packed the extra memory chip for my digital camera. Bugger, if I filled the old one up, I could not take more pictures without deleting some older ones.
Yet when I stepped out to the edge of the cliff, I noticed that my camera had no pictures stored in memory; the new chip was in the camera, and I had forgotten to bring my half-filled chip.
That annoyed me too; it makes it harder to transfer pictures to a digital picture frame when they are on two different cards.
BUT - later, I opened my laptop, and out popped my other memory card, still loaded from when I had printed off pictures just before leaving.
I had, however, left my laptop mouse and power cord behind.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I've never heard of disposable undies except for the paper ones sometimes provided in hospitals when you're having surgery. [Eek!]

May be a pond thing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Of course, for a wildly romantic vacation shared by a dating, doting couple, one really should not forget one's cow.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by chive:

May be a pond thing.
My idea of disposable undies are the old ones on their last threads. I just toss them (wrapped up in a bag or something so that the housekeeping folks don't have to deal with them directly.) I still end up needing to buy at least one pair. And yes, I could wash and hang to air dry, but that only gets you so far (I tend to take loooong trips.)

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The most important thing these days is to remember to pack the chargers for everything (camera, phone, iPad, laptop) plus the doodah for connecting them to foreign power sockets.
Those are the things we have a hard time remembering to bring back home. I'm still searching for my Kindle recharger [Waterworks] after our two-month sojourn out-of-state with our kids...between their move and our return home it could be anywhere.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I remember one vaycay a couple of years ago when, nearly an hour into a three-hour trip, DP suddenly got a stricken look on her face and asked me, "Did you see me packing my ostomy supplies? I can't remember doing that." We stopped alongside the road and went through all our bags: nothing. Lots of cursing all the way home. (We did, however, regroup, pack up the missing stuff and start over again.)

Sounds familiar. Both my kids need medical equipment which must come with us when we travel. This has made me, strangely, quite laid-back about packing, in that I have developed the attitude that as long as we don't forget anything that is prescription only or hospital-loaned equipment, anything else can be purchased when we get there, if necessary. Oh, and kids' clothes - both kids get through more than the average changes of clothes in a day, so we've always got tons of them. I'm waiting for the day when we arrive at our destination to find the kids have all their supplies and enough clothes to sink a battleship, whereas mr b and I have what we stand up in.

In terms of lists, I have put together spreadsheets with lists of all the stuff we take when we go away (slightly different versions depending on whether it's camping, guesthouse or staying with friends), so I can simply put in the number of nights we're going for, and it will tell me how many feeding tubes, catheters, doses of meds etc we need to take. Then I can print out a customised list for that trip and cross it all off as I pack. When I first did this it all felt a bit over-geeky, but it's saved me forgetting a vital item more than once.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once went to a concert in Edinburgh with friends, then out for dinner to a late opening restaurant (which I was completely unaware of when I lived in Edinburgh) and then headed off to wait for a taxi to my sister's flat. The wait for a cab was a long one, and my sister eventually offered to come pick me up as it would be quicker. I then realised I'd forgotten my contacts solution, meaning it was 2 in the morning and I then had to persuade my generous sibling to drive to the 24 hours supermarket, which was deserted apart from about 2 members of staff, some shift workers and us. In 18 years of wearing contacts, that's the only time I've done that.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes forget to take a bottle opener. They can be overpriced at liquor stores and super markets....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man up, Sir Kevin, and use your brawnpower....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year Mr C forgot underpants and socks. Thankfully Marks and Spencer's was just up the road. Of course I got the blame as I'd done the packing! (I'd just put what he'd left out into the suitcase.)

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend who travels quite a bit always does the 'old underwear to throw away' drill. Except on a trip to Europe (Italy?) he forgot somehow, and had only the boxers he wore on his trans-Atlantic flight.
So he thought he'd just go to the Roman equivalent of WalMart or somesuch and buy the cheapest he could find.
BUT -- all he could find were what we rudely call 'banana hammocks,' with which as a life-long boxer wearer he was totally uncomfortable.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What started the Always pack undies in the hand baggage in our house was the time husband arrived in Prague sans suitcase - this was before the revolution and the only department stores compensated for any taint of capitalism by retailing possibly the worst pyjamas ever. They looked like a very bad, shrunken, Star Trek uniform.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Against the times - and come they will - when the suitcase doesn't arrive when I do, I always pack nightie, tolietries, a change of underwear and a clean T shirt in my hand luggage.

I gained this same wisdom after a friend had missing luggage when she arrived at her vaca destination. Unfortunately, another friend thought karma had been fulfilled by friend 1's luggage mishap. Oh, no! She not only had late luggage, but it was empty when she got it back!

Since my traveling clothes squish up pretty small, I take a whole change of clothes in my carry on. Hopefully that will act as insurance against the lost luggage calamity.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I sometimes forget to take a bottle opener. They can be overpriced at liquor stores and super markets....

My parents have a collection of inexpensive corkscrews from every wine-producing country they have ever visited for this reason.

We learned the toothbrush in the carry on lesson about 15 years ago, when we flew to London and drove directly to Wells, while our luggage stayed in Chicago. To make matters worse, we arrived on a Sunday, and we couldn't find a shop that was open. We were very happy when Monday rolled along.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearing aid batteries. I now carry the last two in the pack in my wallet and replace with fresh when I get near the end of another pack.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... I always pack nightie, tolietries, a change of underwear and a clean T shirt in my hand luggage.

Me too, Firenze, but these days most of the toiletries have to go in the "hold" baggage anyway as they don't come in less than 100ml bottles. Particular case in point: the brand of contact-lens solution I use used to come in 120ml bottles, but they were recently re-designed in a "new, improved format"*. In 105ml bottles. Who was the brainless dingbat who thought that was a good idea?

* i.e. less solution for the same price.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we did a three month drive round India in 2000/2001 we stayed in 60+ hotels in 90+ days so we got pretty good at packing and that has stayed with us. Admittedly I once forgot to take my camera on a trip but generally we have everything we need - and we are quite happy that if we forget something it is no big deal, though we are careful about our medications.

I reckon if I have flight tickets, passport and a credit card then I am covered.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

- Posted      Profile for Fr Raphael   Email Fr Raphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I inevitably forgot something. Part of my holiday experience is waiting to find out what it is.

Usually it is to do with toiletries, sometimes medication - and that is the worst one to forget!

I've travelled quite extensively and now get a little casual about it and think - oh if I have forgotten something I am not that far from civilisation to buy it.

I like the idea of old underpants by the way.
[Smile]

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Last year Mr C forgot underpants and socks. Thankfully Marks and Spencer's was just up the road...

One of our suitcases was lost when we went to London a few yeas ago. I bought several articles of clothing at M & S in Oxford Circus, all of which I still wear!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been known to forget my razor when going on holiday, which for a fortnight's break can lead to me having quite an impressive beard by the time I get home...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seldom leave things behind when going away - There is one master list which gets updated daily. A week before I go, I start tossing stuff in a large box (and checking it off the list). The night before I leave I pack my meds and toiletries.

The first time I travelled to Asia, BA left all my luggage in LHR. They came to me all apologetic and gave me a voucher to claim what was then CAD100 in local currency. Since I had my toiletries (pre-airline paranoia days), extra pants and socks a a few t-shirts in my carry-on, I stopped on the way to my destination, bought two lunghis at a cost of 125 rupees. I didn't need to cash a traveller's cheque for 2 weeks.

The next year, Cathay Pacific (I had travelled via Hong Kong this time) left my clothing bag in Vancouver. The cheap buggers only gave me USD75 in rupees. It took 3 days for my bag to catch up.

The next year, everything arrived at my destination at the same time I did. I was mildly disappointed.

Since then, my travels have been uneventful. More or less.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'take your old undies' routine was all the rage when I first travelled to the UK in 1958 – by ship. You just threw them out the porthole. Now when I hear of parts of the ocean being awash with trash, I feel guilty about my long-ago contribution.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:

Take a tip from old Miss Amanda. She always travels with disposable undies. That way, regardless of how many pairs you pack, you can always get more quite easily -- and you don't have to worry about schlepping dirty undies home with you in your luggage.
I always take my oldest knickers with me and dump them in the hotel WPB.

[Razz]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I (not we) forgot to pack my medication, which was serious as we were to be away for a week. Mrs Sioni asked me about 20 miles from home, we exchanged looks, I checked and then we travelled back, picked them up and travelled well past the point at which Mrs Sioni asked the question before a word was uttered. It was a quiet journey.

Mrs Sioni often forgets her camera but on a camping holiday we left our coffee mugs on the table and some friends left their cooker behind (but took the gas cylinder!). They now have a caravan.

We've followed the change of shirt & underclothes for at least 40 years as HM Forces, with whom both of used first travelled by air, recommend it, even when they do their own baggage handling.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I forgot to buy and bring a proper 21st-century digital camera both times I have been to England.
[Hot and Hormonal]

We're in the 21st century on this side of the pond too. So if you hadn't bought one before you came you could easily buy one here.

I understand the frustrations of not being able to find replacements for things left behind, but in this increasingly globalised and homogenised world there is less need to panic over missing items and plenty of opportunities to buy substitutes.

It's not so much forgetting to pack things as making sure that all climatic possibilities are catered for, with woollies and T-shirts and everything in between. That used to be just a problem for British holidays but this year the weather is proving equally unpredictable across most of Europe.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I seldom leave things behind when going away - There is one master list which gets updated daily. A week before I go, I start tossing stuff in a large box (and checking it off the list). The night before I leave I pack my meds and toiletries...

I think it would be helpful for me to point out that Pete doesn't actually pack much beyond his meds and toiletries himself - he normally just instructs a convenient slave to do it for him - in Canada a niece and in India, erm, me.

And he starts worrying about packing about a month before the off.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This time I forgot to pack tea and sugar.

Ok, I'm addicted...I will admit that...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Details of where we're actually going - a couple of years ago, we knew how to get to the village, but didn't know the address. We did eventually find where we were supposed to be courtesy of a local phonebook at a very helpful cafe.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
It's not so much forgetting to pack things as making sure that all climatic possibilities are catered for, with woollies and T-shirts and everything in between. That used to be just a problem for British holidays but this year the weather is proving equally unpredictable across most of Europe.

Yes!

A few years ago I went to Austin, TX in January. I knew it would be warmer there than in Virginia, but I didn't expect it to be that much warmer. I had packed only long-sleeved shirts. While I was there the temperature hit 93°F. I had to go out and buy short-sleeved shirts although I had plenty at home. I now have a lifetime supply.

This year it was very cool, and I wished I had brought a sweater to wear indoors. You have to be prepared for everything, but that involves packing an awful lot of stuff.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once forgot to pack sleepwear for a 5 day trip! There was one store in the quaint vacation town that sold sleepwear but it was high-priced boutique stuff, so I went to a tourist-trap type store and bought a cheap, long T shirt and that's what I slept in.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not much of a traveller, and if I do go anywhere I drive my truck. My problem is not so much forgetting something, it's toting around far too much stuff. The fact that I often end up needing some obscure bit of junk that I've neglected to remove from my truck bed just serves to reward me for this behavior.

I do have one cousin who is a regular globe-trotter. She tells an absolutely hilarious story about not packing enough gin for a trip to somewhere that alcohol was not legally available. Bless her, she managed to find a local version of moonshiner to bulk up her booze stash. Because for my very WASP-y relatives, the thought of spending time in prison in an underdeveloped country is far less scary that the thought of missing cocktail hour. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it they've never watched NatGeo's Locked Up Abroad?

Argh!!! [Eek!] [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was kind of my though when I heard the story. Especially since the cousin in question is called "The Duchess" in our family circles...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

This thread has actually been quite helpful to me, with its suggestions to wear and toss out. For many years, I lived in a manse and had a vacation condo, so had a supply of clothing for both. When I moved into the condo fulltime, I gave away a lot of extra clothing, but underwear, you can't that give away.
Anyhow, searching through dresser drawers and forgotten suitcases, I discovered that I own more than 50 pair of underwear!
I am going on a 35-day vacation in about 10 days; 25 to 30 pair of underwear are not returning from the trip.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
I have even learned some code in case extended family should visit and see the list; condoms, for example, are recorded as "golf gloves."

This reminds me of the joke about the man with five penises. "But what do you do when you need to use protection?" asked a friend. "Oh I get my condoms made to order - they fit like a glove."

I find packing incredibly stressful and therefore take the approach of leaving the minimum amount of time possible to do it in and then just throwing things into a case. The Old Man is guaranteed to ask me as I leave "Have you got your medication?" and anything else can be replaced.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016