homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What do you want to be played at your funeral? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What do you want to be played at your funeral?
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by this thread in purg: Goodbye England's rose, may you ever grow in our hearts

I'd be interested to know what shipmates would like to have played at their funeral.

Up until this week I didn't have any preference at all but then this track came up during random shuffle and I got to thinking.....that would be a good track to be cremated to.

Portishead - It's a Fire

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just read my post and I swear to all thats holy I did not at all see any pun between cremation and the song title until just now!

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes in a bad mood, I think I'd like to have The Road to Nowhere by the Talking Heads. . .with the assembled mourners singing the lyrics, including the shouts and grunts.

But then my saner self prevails. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, I'd like to have "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light". It always makes me yearn for Heaven. [Tear]

[tangent]Anyone else having trouble with the sound from YouTube? Nada sound for me right now. I thought my speakers had gone down until Windows made those cute little chime sounds when I rebooted. Pandora is okay, too.[/tangent]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We ain't gonna take it" by Twisted Sister.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to have the choir sing the Nunc Dimittis (don't mind which chant, probably the one they know best at the time, so the singing sounds confident).

Given enough confident voices, I'd also have 'Beati Quoram Via' (Stanford), although 'God be in my head' (Walford Davies) might be better if resources are low.

But I shan't come back to haunt my family if they decide on other music - I'll be past caring by then and they're the ones who have to choose stuff to help them through. As long as they don't choose 'Ding, dong, the witch is dead', in which case, obviously, I'll haunt them until the Twelfth of Never.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Things Must Pass, either by George or Paul, I don't mind.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Into the West" by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore, sung by Annie Lennox.

[ 23. June 2012, 16:34: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purcell's music for the funeral of Queen Mary, performed of course by brilliant singers and instrumentalists.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old song by a band who have not yet been born, and who will not produce any music for another 60 years.

REM "Everybody hurts" would be good. And "from the river" as people were leaving.

Some part of me would also like "November Rain", with the final piece just starting as the coffin goes through the curtains.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ode to Joy, Beethoven. It's a family tradition since apparently the 1920s, played at funerals and weddings.

Amazing Grace, however will be distinctly not played, as this has come up in the last 30 years or so as a funeral cliché within our opinionated living and deceased family members.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My two essentials are a recording of Gundula Janowitz singing Strauss' 'Beim Schlafengehen' and a good recording of 'Soave sia il vento'. Kitsch? Yes. Camp? Yes. But I'll be dead - and de mortuis nil nisi bonum*.

* Usually translated 'never speak ill of the dead'.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The complete Barbirolli/Halle Dream of Gerontius, please.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mahler's "Urlicht," best known for being the fourth movement in his second symphony.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit left field here but "Into the Sun" by Jason Arthur.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Forever Young" - the acoustic version

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm.

You know what? "Shosholoza."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye"

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for "God be in my head"; I also want "If you love me", and Psalm 23 only if it's the psalm for the day.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God of Mercy and Compassion. If I die in Lent or Passiontide.

Or O Love That Will Not Let Me Go.

Or Shoshaloza.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be rather good to be played out to the strains of Bach's St. Anne Fugue. (Variations on 'O God our help in ages past')

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
"Into the West" by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore, sung by Annie Lennox.

I chose that for my mother's funeral and now no one else in the family can bear to listen to it.

I'd like it too, if they let me.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bach's Toccata in C BWV 564, and 'And Can It Be' for one of the hymns.

(BTW, this guy on the YouTube is doing a nice job on the tracker with the coupled manuals...your pinkies must be strong to do so!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To say nothing of his pedalwork. Wow! What a beautiful instrument and a great performance!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without a doubt, I want the Sumsion Nunc Dimitis in G. I'd also like "O Jesus I have promised". That's for the serious stuff in church.

At the Crem, I'd like a Barber Shop Quartet singing "My comrades, when I'm no more drinking"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To say nothing of his pedalwork. Wow! What a beautiful instrument and a great performance!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see... a few selections from the John Rutter "Requiem" but I'd have to go listen to it now to decide which sections I'd want sung.

"Follow me, follow you" ? Not sure of the exact title but it's by Genesis, and Phil Collins sings it.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for Purcell's funeral music for Queen Mary.

Or if we're looking for something simpler, the Old Hundredth.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my father died I had to pick the hymns for his funeral, and chose the 23rd Psalm to Crimond (I was younger then and not very 'churched') - only to discover afterwards that he had loathed it!

So I have made things easier for my family by writing down what *I* want at mine.

Before the service, "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" (Vaughan Williams); and during, "Blessed be your name" by Matt Redman; Robin Marks' "Days of Elijah" and "How deep the Father's love for me" (Stuart Townend). THAT should have them all in floods by the end.

Oh, and "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" as a nod to my Welsh heritage!

Mrs S. gleefully choosing all the music for once! [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cricket.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spem in alium.

That way, at least 40 people will have to turn up for my funeral (41 if you count the conductor).

PS: for "played at my funeral" read "performed at my funeral".

[ 25. June 2012, 12:11: Message edited by: MSHB ]

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
Let's see... a few selections from the John Rutter "Requiem" but I'd have to go listen to it now to decide which sections I'd want sung.

Surely "Out of the Deep", "Pie Jesu", "The Lord is My Shepherd" with the "I am the Resurrection" bridge passage leading up to it, and "Lux Aeterna" again with the bridge passage "I heard a voice from heaven". The Requiem is the only Rutter I can listen to.

At my funeral: the Dvorak 23rd Psalm (my mother's favorite, done at her funeral although the pianist ruined it), the African-American spiritual "Steal Away", and "I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say" to Tallis' Third Tune.

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supertsar by Black Sabbath, and I want an open casket funeral with me dressed as Emperor Ming the Merciless.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Cricket.

An Ashes match, presumably?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
IceQueen
Shipmate
# 8170

- Posted      Profile for IceQueen   Email IceQueen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from Purcell's glorious and aforementioned Funeral Music, I would like Raymond Warren's choral setting of C S Lewis'
What the bird said, early in the year.

Words of hope, and Professor Warren's finest music, in my opinion.

Posts: 209 | From: Warwick | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking the other day what a lovely funeral processional "The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended" would make.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like either played (or ideally sung by a decent choir) the closing 'God shall wipe away all tears' from The Armed Man, by Karl Jenkins. And another vote for Beati Quorum Via.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a gradually evolving lists of hymns. "Ye Holy Angels Bright" and "They Cast their Nets in Galilee" are two of the mainstays.

If there is a choir, as I said a few weeks ago on another thread, I would like Friedell's "Draw us In the Spirits Tether."

But for the real musical fireworks, you will have to wait for the procession out and around the block to the reception, which should look something like this.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teenage Kicks by the Undertones followed by Mozart's Requiem (all of it).
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought going throgh the curtain to The Trammps Disco Inferno would be a good way to go out.

In saner moments, and because not everybody's sense of humour is as dark as mine, U2's Gloria would be a good choice.

Forever Young sounds like a good choice, but for me it would be Joan Baez version (Sorry Zappa,I am an heretick.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like Arthur Sullivan's "God Shall Wipe Away All Tears".

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
redderfreak
Shipmate
# 15191

- Posted      Profile for redderfreak   Author's homepage   Email redderfreak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCoHxX1OC8
Please note in case I die tonight.

--------------------
You know I just couldn't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see

Posts: 287 | From: Exeter | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Old Hundredth (Vaughan Williams' arrangement) and Guide me, O thou great Jehovah with the descant, Psalm 76 to the Purcell chant based on the Queen Mary funeral music (with percussion would be fun ...), Byrd's Mass for Four Voices and the Nunc dimittis from Gibbons' Short Service.

Organ music should include Howells' Master Tallis's Testament before the service and Susato's La mourisque and the Battle Pavane afterwards.

The Sortie in E♭ by Lefebure-Wely has become a bit of a family fixture; D. played it by request at the funerals of my brother-in-law and my mother, but it is very silly ... [Big Grin]

Oh yes, and if they use anything other than the Book of Common Prayer and the Authorised Version of the Bible, I'll come back and haunt them. [Devil]

[ 26. June 2012, 01:20: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
I was just thinking the other day what a lovely funeral processional "The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended" would make.

I've listed it -played by a military band as the Naval Sunset Hymn.
Also Barber's Adagio for Strings and Nimrod.

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prelude Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring Bach
1st hymn Abide With Me
Psalm 23rd Crimond
2nd hymn Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah
Recessional Jerusalem
Postlude Elgars Variations Nimrod

These would be my selections for a church funeral.Of course in 30+ years that might no longer be the done thing. And of course what does
one chices for music for ones own funeral do for the mourners ? Maybe the music should be uplifting happy stuff . [Votive] [Smile] [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Cricket.

An Ashes match, presumably?
*rimshot*

[Killing me]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Selmo
Apprentice
# 14632

- Posted      Profile for Selmo   Email Selmo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has asked that, should she turn up her toes before I do, our small worship band (including me on drums)perform Norman Greenbaum's 1969 hit "Spirit in the sky" for her.

As for myself, I want to go out to the strains of Vivaldi's "Gloria". (A Methodist requesting a song in Latin; I must be loosing my marbles.)

Posts: 9 | From: England, UK. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
ProgenitorDope
Apprentice
# 16648

- Posted      Profile for ProgenitorDope   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a song by my favorite group, Nightwish, called "The Islander." It IS about suicide, yes, but the lyrics are about casting off misery and the tune is appropriate enough, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5juc6fmgylw

Though that choice may be influenced by being in the misery of bar prep right now. Normally, I'd want to be buried as I lived: irreverant and trying to make people laugh. As such, "Don't Fear the Reaper" with whoever owed me the most money having to play "more cowbell" throughout. [Devil]

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't have a choir, so I want the congregation to raise the roof. Opening hymn Guide me O thou Great Jehovah, then Praise to the Holiest in the Height [Gerontius] closing with Thine be the Glory Risen Conquering Son. I was going to have the Shepherd Song setting of the 23rd Psalm until my wife vetoed the 23rd altogether, so I have to rethink that element. Had thought of a couple of modern settings to be sung during communion, but I think I might have to run them past her as well.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to my previous choice, I suggest, quite theologically, "Happy Birthday to You". [Angel]

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016