homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What other forums do Shipmates frequent?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What other forums do Shipmates frequent?
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....Christian or otherwise....

[Edit: the typo was giving me the irrits]

[ 24. June 2012, 08:21: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
'

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are these "other" forums of which you speak?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
What are these "other" forums of which you speak?

...online discussion groups - I see allusions to them on other threads - just wondered where else people go....
Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamers with jobs. For computer game enthusiasts.

Anyone who posts using l33t speak or using fag in a derogorty way gets banned so the level of discussion is very good.

I sometimes dip my toe into the talkjesus forums but not very often.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
...online discussion groups - I see allusions to them on other threads - just wondered where else people go....

You mean there are other things available on my computer monitor apart from the Ship?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:

You mean there are other things available on my computer monitor apart from the Ship?
No, not really. This is just an imagination game.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sword and Laser, and UK Kindle groups on Goodreads.

Mobileread.

A few writing forums, though I haven't written anything in ages.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing recently, although I have tried St. Pixel's in the past.

Of course, SoF hosts are kept far too busy to have time to visit any other online sites.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Gardenweb Tomato forum ( I need all the help I can get.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I frequent and participate on the forum of the website of a musician and singer that I like. I'm not going to tell you who it is though firstly because I interact a bit differently on the two boards and would rather keep them separate but mainly because I'm embarrassed to reveal my lowbrow taste in music... [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The TES forum. Sad, isn't it?

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read, but no identity for, the XKCD forums.
Recently signed on to a gaming one, planned to be of some use (but so far prevarication isn't helping)

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to check mvshelp.com every day, but it suffered some kind of disaster and is no longer working as it did.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do participate in some of the stackexchange forums. In particular, ux, scifi and writers. I did do the christianity one for a while, but they are not as nice as the shipmates.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:

The Elder Scrolls?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:

The Elder Scrolls?
Times Educational Supplement a must read for all teachers in England. Largely independent of the Times (you subscribe separately), it is probably the best known of the supplements. They include Times Literary Supplement and the Times Higher Education Supplement. I am sure there are others.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BookGroup Online (as in my sig), where I'm a moderator
Ravelry
ReadItSwapIt - although I mostly just 'swap' and don't post much on the forum

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trade Me - it's the NZ equivalent of ebay and the is a community section, as well as the auctions.

I tend to read only the Books, Recipes and Christchurch Earthquake boards, as much of the other discussion is at the level of a badly run talkback radio show.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BAUT (astronomy - strict moderation)
for3 (BBC Radio 3 forum, although not a BBC owned forum)
politicalbetting (much partisan bile)

not recommendations as such, so I haven't quoted full URLs.

And one small forum run by a group including a shipmate - I'll leave it to her to mention it if she wants to.

many others bookmarked, but fewer and fewer looked at now.

Closed forums I miss: "Into the Wardrobe", "Which Online", and one or two of the rapidly vanishing BBC forums.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I frequent the badscience forums, which started as an offshoot of the Guardian column of that name. Independent now though. Very sweary and frequently hilarious.
And a mummy forum which isn't publicly findable.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I come to the Ship every day, just about, but I also have a revolving list of other fora that I visit about once a week. They are:
Living History, the British re-enactors' forum
Absolute Write Water Cooler, for aspiring (and published) writers
Creative Living forum, for crafty things and alternative lifestyle
Brass Goggles, a steampunk forum
Historum, for history - I've tried several history forums, but this one seems to suit me best at the moment.
and onlinebookclub for discussion of literature.
I've tried a few science forums, but the conversation is either way over my head, or becomes very 'samey' after a while.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several Linux forums. Linux being the true operating system of Anglicans. The via media of operating systems. Mac being that corresponding to RC, and Microsoft to protestants.

In Mac, the operating system is locked down and the Apple authorities will change it for you when they think it is right so to do. They do not care too much what you think.

Microsoft is supposed to locked down, but you have total freedom to bugger it up, get it infected by odd and dangerous ideas like viruses, and then you may have to hit bottom, reformat and start over. Repeatedly.

With Linux, it is locked down, but you have the capability to deliberately alter and/or break it, and you cannot do it without full intention, knowing the risks.

So that's why I am on some Linux forums. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
Read, but no identity for, the XKCD forums.

I'm on there under the same screen name and post very occasionally on the threads devoted to individual comics (actually I'm proud, in a sad sort of way, to have actually got there in time to post the comic up to start a thread on a couple of occasions).

I also read and occasionally post on Fark, which I find provides better and more insightful coverage of news than any traditional news sites. You have to wade through 4chan type images, juvenile humour and so on but you frequently get links to well-written, informative websites written by people who clearly know what they are talking about or at the least, provide interesting viewpoints.

[ 24. June 2012, 18:19: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
badscience - another of those rare places where people are both intelligent and nice. I've tried various chicken-keeping forums and am now more-or-less settled at Omlet. I post (just as rarely as here) under my real name at both those places, though.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a UK based large family forum, a Catholic discussion forum and I suppose facebook is a kind of forum
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A music forum. I stick with he beginner thread.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the V Drums Forum- a discussion group for those who own Roland V-drums, electronic drums. There is also a discussion board that appeals to the DIY crowd--those who buy all the equipment and build their own electronic drum sets. I ask lots of questions in there because I toy around with the idea to build my own set.

I also frequent the American Diabetes Association forums for Type 2 diabetics.

And I've been checking out various online forums for sufferers of Gastroparesis, a stomach ailment that diabetics are likely to have.

I used to post on Beliefnet but a few years ago they revamped the entire site and I was getting a lot of dating requests (!?) from men and I got tired of that in a hurry.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
In Mac, the operating system is locked down and the Apple authorities will change it for you when they think it is right so to do. They do not care too much what you think.

IMHO, Umberto Eco hit closer to the truth:
quote:
Indeed, the Macintosh is counter-reformist and has been influenced by the ratio studiorum of the Jesuits. It is cheerful, friendly, conciliatory; it tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to reach -- if not the kingdom of Heaven -- the moment in which their document is printed. It is catechistic: The essence of revelation is dealt with via simple formulae and sumptuous icons. Everyone has a right to salvation.
I used to be active on a Tolkien forum and a Catholic forum. Lately I've been lurking on a bunch of language forums: one for people who are learning languages (lurk there a lot), another one for people who construct languages for the fun of it (even though the fan-boy-ness* there annoys me but there's lots of info about linguistics), and a mailing-list for people into auxiliary languages (languages like Esperanto meant to be common or international languages). I also lurk on a men's interest board (no, not that kind of men's interest), a couple of menswear forums, and at the Fedora Lounge ('cuz tonight I wanna party like it's 1939).

*I mean the bad kind of fan-boy-ness, not the good kind. Lot's of rude behavior, snobbery, geekier-than-thou attitude, etc. Like the Comic-Book Guy on the Simpsons. I'm already getting tired of it.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
I frequent and participate on the forum of the website of a musician and singer that I like. I'm not going to tell you who it is though firstly because I interact a bit differently on the two boards and would rather keep them separate but mainly because I'm embarrassed to reveal my lowbrow taste in music... [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh, God... it's Kenny G., isn't it?! No wonder you want to keep this on the down low. [Razz]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will & Testament

As far as I can see, this is the only BBC blog concerned with religion.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go on.
The Dibb (British Disney park fan site)
The Christian Dance Fellowship of Britain
The International Christian Dance Fellowship
The Fellowship of Christian Magicians
Dress Circle (Musical Theatre fan site).
I keep busy.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this household there is only the Ship, Facebook and Pogo and various newsites.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on a number of different sites, but the only one which is a forum per se is the Open University - each group I tutor has its own forum which as the tutor I moderate by default.

I have ' written conversations' in a number of other places though - on various blogs, facebook and twitter mainly.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I did more radio control I used to frequent RC Groups, a forum dedicated to radio controlled models of all kinds (I was mostly into airplanes).

I'll probably get back into posting there once I make the move back stateside and have a place to fly once again.

Now that I'm getting into building guitars, I'm thinking of also signing onto a guitar building forum.

I find forums are great places for practical advice and help with hobbies, work, and crafts.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly a forum, but I read a number of blogs about world music, and sometimes enter in discussions on their comment threads.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as often as I participate in the Ship, I participate in a forum for people on the autism spectrum, and in a forum for people with a particular form of sensory sensitivity. I check all three forums every day. I also follow (and occasionally comment on) a number of blogs, mostly related to the autism spectrum.

I guess that delineates me as an ecumenical Christian on the autism spectrum, with peculiar sensory problems. At least, these are my leading "special interests" (obsessions) on the web.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016