homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » CounterTenors

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: CounterTenors
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a few questions from you, classical music fans.

1. How common are countertenors? I get the impression that they are extremely rare. But is it because most male singers don't train at that high voice, or is it simply because it is out of the range for most men?

2) I don't really get the aesthetic appeal of countertenors. I find tenors' voice quite beautiful, but I get the impression that most people applaud countertenors simply because of its rarity. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of sopranos, either.

[ 23. June 2012, 22:18: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Counter-tenors, it should be understood, are male sopranos. I only know this because my girl friend is an opera fan.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The few countertenors I have known through church choirs and the like were all basses or tenors who had developed to a remarkable degree the ability to sing falsetto. In other words, they were not castrati. They had "normal" male speaking voices.

I have, however, known several men who had high-pitched speaking voices, like pre-pubescent boys. So far as I know, though, they were not singers.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(oooh, heaven! How fluffy!)

Counter-tenors are simply men singing using their falsetto voice. Think the Bee Gees. Most men can make a squeaky noise in falsetto; some can sing in it; a few can make a sound that is genuinely beautiful. They are definitely anatomically and endocrinologically male. (Translation- they've got all their bits!)

They generally don't have a soprano range (from middle C to two octaves above, technically); most choral counter-tenors tend to peter out at around the D or E above middle C. Some can go all the way up to the genuine soprano register (Derek Lee Ragin was one).

Some have fine baritone voices, and can switch between the two to surprising effect- Andreas Scholl is one of them. Others should stick to singing countertenor as their bass/baritone/tenor voice just doesn't sound so decent.

Before the 60s, they used to be very rare outside the English Cathedral tradition. However, as people have become more familiar with the sound, and as the standard musical repertoire has extended back beyond the 19th century, there's been a real demand for them. A man called Alfred Deller was the first really successful recording counter-tenor- some of his recordings are still worth listening to, although he's a bit hooty and precious English-sounding at times.

To sum up, when they're good, they're very very good; when they're bad, they're horrid. But I wouldn't want to be without them- Handel oratorios, Bach cantatas, Purcell anthems- they wouldn't be the same!

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that include Roy Orbison, who had the most beautiful high voice? (Often wondered, just asking..)

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the most familiar piece by a countertenor today is Vale Decum(starts at 4:01), sung by Mark Chambers.

Vale Decum of course, translates to "Goodbye Ten" and is the music played when the Doctor regenerated from his 10th to 11th form.

(Also, a very, very pretty piece of music, even without its associated nerdery.)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are different kinds of counter tenors. Many are falsettists, but a few sing high in full voice. One of the more well-known examples of this is Kurt from Glee (to take a non-classical example). Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin, and the BeeGees sang in the countertenor region of their voices.

Xiao Ma
singing Vivaldi
Yoshikazu Mera My personal favourite singing Widestehe doch der Stunde from Bach's Cantata 54.
Chanticleer for the nicest choral countertenors.

[ 23. June 2012, 23:44: Message edited by: Arabella Purity Winterbottom ]

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:
I wouldn't want to be without them- Handel oratorios, Bach cantatas, Purcell anthems- they wouldn't be the same!

To say nothing of P.D.Q. Bach's Iphigenia in Brooklyn -- and, as with all of P.D.Q. Bach, the less said the better.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Counter-tenors, it should be understood, are male sopranos.

Not in my experience. Counter Tenors are quite common among church musicians, especially in cathedrals, and usually sing Alto.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I wouldn't want to be without them- Handel oratorios, Bach cantatas, Purcell anthems- they wouldn't be the same!

To say nothing of P.D.Q. Bach's Iphigenia in Brooklyn -- and, as with all of P.D.Q. Bach, the less said the better.
[Killing me] *wiping copious amount of tears from my eyes*
Thank you, Miss Amanda! A blast from the past! My brother and I used to listen to that and sing along many years ago!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

HEY!
Don't go talkin' smack about my man PDQ!

Countertenors are indeed rare, but that's as much a matter of training as anything else—there's just not that much call for them these days. Now, are there plenty of egomaniac tenors who think they're able to do countertenor as well? Oh Sure. Can they actually do it? Very debatable. After all, it's not just enough to hit the right notes in falsetto—heck, I can do that, and sometimes do it shockingly (and disturbingly) well. The problem is trying to get enough power behind your falsetto, as well as counteracting all the training you've received in your normal voice range that teaches you to sing in your "normal" voice where you'd have once switched to a thinner falsetto.

Can it be done, though? Sure. There are tricks you can use to make your thinner, higher voice pierce and cut across to your audience, as well as . . . well, the best way I can put it is make the holes in your head resonate. It's not really what's going on, of course, but I have no idea what you're actually supposed to do to get that whole "my whole head's vibrating with the note" feeling you get when you're doing it right.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And quite a few of them have big beards in case you get the wrong idea about their masculinity.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't Barry Gibb a counter tenor? Or was it Andy? At any rate methinks I'd better leave now.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
And quite a few of them have big beards in case you get the wrong idea about their masculinity.

Well, facial hair anyway. And children, for the same reason.

My first encounter with a true counter tenor was in my mid-teens when, at a concert given by a visiting cathedral choir (men and boys), came the announcement "now Mr Boggis will sing a lullaby" and a 6ft 3 bearded man came on and sang. His wife and children applauded, as did I. A revelation compared with falsettists I had sung with until then.
I don't think the counter tenor voice is as rare as it seems; my theory is that men without lower octave speaking voices are embarassed to take up singing, unless they get very well-informed and sympathetic direction when their voices are changing from treble. "Your voice has broken; go away and come back when you're a tenor or bass" doesn't cut it. And they don't come back, of course. And these days there are few trebles...
I have met many counter tenors who don't sing (I used to embarass companions by asking/telling such men "Do you sing? Well, you should!"). I have met a few who do sing, but none in cathedral choirs, who seem to be falsettists*, but these days good ones. "Hooty, wordless" cathedral altos are a thing of the past, I believe.

As to range, the highest I have personally heard is G above the treble clef (oh, apart from a weird curate (how are you, Colin?) who could sing the Queen of the Night aria - stop sniggering at the back.)

Roy Orbison? Yes, though he was probably a falsettist*. As for others mentioned upthread, young (and not-so-young) girls like to sing in unison with falsettists/counter tenors, which sells records. So there are more doing it; and miking up means they don't need voice projection.

*Don't get me wrong, falsettists are very valuable in cathedral-repertoire choirs, even where adult women sing. I used sing (alto) in several such choirs. And for Purcell (who probably sung alto and bass in the same piece). And "first tenor" in male voice choirs. And the Kings Singers. Hmm, perhaps more common than generally thought.

[ 24. June 2012, 10:44: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all cathedral choirs use counter-tenors for their alto line - so much so, that it was recorded with shock when Lincoln decided last year to employ a female alto.

Our vicar is a counter-tenor: although he doesn't sing regularly with us, we are very glad when he finds the time to boost our alto line. We have also had male altos who are teenagers - eventually they sing tenor or bass, but learn to sing alto when their voices first start to change.

They can also be found in choral societies and chamber choirs, Mr. C's choir has two.

I love to hear a good male alto singing solo - James Bowman is one of my favourites.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The folk singer Richard Dyer-Bennet had a remarkably high-pitched voice. I don't know how it would be classified.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blackbeard (second bass, lowest of the low so far as Western European music is concerned) finds this fascinating; no doubt in part due to an interest in acoustics.

Acoustically speaking, the voice consists of: lungs supplying air at (one hopes) the right pressure; folds (vocal folds) of skin-covered muscle full of nerve endings which are somewhat (only somewhat) reminiscent of double-reed instruments such as the oboe or bassoon; and a pipe (vocal tract) of more or less constant length but highly variable shape. And that's about it. The length of vocal folds and of the vocal tract vary a bit between people, but not by very much. Certainly not as much as one might expect, since by analogy with stringed instruments or organ pipes, if sopranos were five feet tall then basses would be fifteen feet tall.

And - oh yes, there's another bit of kit, or rather bits - the ears and the brain, which subconsciously control the whole apparatus and consciously tend to foul things up somewhat.

And the wonderful thing is that this arrangement, presumably adapted mainly for communication and warning, can produce music of expressiveness and beauty that no other musical instrument can match.

OK, back to topic. Countertenors (which for modern usage are the same animals as male altos, though Purcell might not have seen it that way) use a perfectly natural and normal function of the voice, even though they don't do it in quite the same way as baritones and basses. Men singing in the alto range seem quite normal now.

But it's not just the men who cross what used to be boundaries - recently one of out tenors gave birth. Indeed I once sang (bass!)in a choir that had more female than male tenors. Why not? Choirs are often short of tenors.

To some extent it's a question of supply and demand; for instance, we need men to sing parts originally written for castrati. The music is wonderful but getting a woman to sing it doesn't work as drama. And we have no castrati any more (I've heard of sacrifices in the cause of Art, but this is ridiculous). So, countertenors.

It can work at the other extreme; Eastern European liturgy has some VERY low parts which are sung by octivists (contra-basses); no, it's not a special genetic make-up, nor yet cheap cigarettes and vodka, just the need for these voices. Plus a LOT of practice. I think. Anyway, it's quite magnificent.

I'm sorry that's a bit of a ramble. I'm fascinated by this instrument that covers (from soprano highest notes to bass lowest) a range of about four octaves. More if you count extreme individuals. If we were organ pipes that would be a range of lengths with a ratio 16 : 1.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
The music is wonderful but getting a woman to sing it doesn't work as drama.

It can if you have exceptional mezzos- and indeed, they're almost as rare as exceptional countertenors! Sarah Connolly plays breeches roles like nobody's business. Here she is being Julius Caesar- and out-manning everyone else on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJXlJCJSH4

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Sarah Connolly ......

yes, she is quite magnificent, isn't she? I still have to suspend disbelief a little, though (perhaps not as much as I need to do with first-century-BC soldiers in an eighteenth-century opera in nineteenth-century military uniforms. Plus, if I remember, early twentieth-century Zeppelins. Still, that's opera I suppose).
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just bought a most marvellous CD of the counter-tenor Iestyn Davies singing Handel, Gluck etc. His rendering of "What is life" is utterly spendid. As someone said upthread, training has improved no end - and I am saying this as someone who heard James Bowman in his prime (both in Britten and Cavalli).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point above about basses/countertenors is true in my experience - ie that basses can often sing in the countertenor range, and vice versa.

I've never met a tenor that can sing well in the countertenor range (plenty of them can't even sing well in the tenor range... [Eek!] )

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A local vicar, who is a friend of mine, was putting on a social evening at his church recently: "Music for a summer's evening". He roped in a few musical friends to form an impromptu madrigal group, which was fun.

He opened the evening singing a Purcell aria and also was part of the madrigal group where he sang alto in some items and tenor in others.

It can be done! [Big Grin]

Like so many things musical, technique, training and practice, practice and more practice is the way to improve.

Counter-tenors are in short supply, however, so if your son fancies a choral scholarship at an Oxbridge college, it is reputed to be easier to get in as a counter-tenor than as a tenor or bass. Singers, parents and vocal coaches just need to think about this three or so years before applications are due.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Falsetto-counter tenors used to be fairly common in soul music -- Smokey Robinson, Curtis Mayfield are two who spring readily to mind. The reggae singer Junior Murvin too.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's what is termed a male soprano, that is, a man singing soprano in his natural voice, not falsetto.
The voice is more powerful than many if not most counter-tenors, carrying well over orchestra and chorus. I find it quite thrilling, YMMV

The excerpt is from Meyerbeer's opera 'Il crociato in Egitto,' and the role is possibly the last one written for a castrato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T4EMgRjh6o

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, most male altos' "natural" voice is bass, but they sing in their falsetto or head voice. I used to sing with one who could (and did) still sing all the descants and could make a passable go of the top Cs in the Allegri Miserere. [Eek!]

He could also sing tenor if required and was happily married with a couple of kids.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
There are different kinds of counter tenors. Many are falsettists, but a few sing high in full voice.

Yep. I'm a countertenor, as well as a tenor. (I don't know how this worked out, really. At least not completely.) I don't get much chance to sing above the tenor range in my church choir (actually, I haven't told our director that I can sing that high) But in my other choir, I'm the only alto.

There is a difference between the weak wispy sound of a falsetto and the clear, full, rounded voice of someone singing from their head voice. There's a real fullness and richness that a countertenor has that is'nt anything like a (properly trained)falsetto. I honestly don't entirely know what produces it. I certainly don't think it's as simple as a well-trained falsetto voice.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:
There are different kinds of counter tenors. Many are falsettists, but a few sing high in full voice.

Yep. .... I honestly don't entirely know what produces it. I certainly don't think it's as simple as a well-trained falsetto voice.
Congrats, Silas. But, although I'm not certain how it is produced, there are very capable falsettists: Andreas Scholl, for example, sings mostly in falsetto, but speaks and sometimes sings in a (rather less resonant) baritone. True counter-tenors have no "broken voice" - hate the expression - and cannot sing baritone. Of course, all voices can be improved by careful, knowledgeable, training.

Incidentally, the director of the choir you sing tenor in probably wouldn't be surprised that you are a counter-tenor (if he/she is listening when you speak): if you have sufficient female contraltos you are much more valuable as a tenor who can sing high tenor parts with ease and without complaining.

Take care of your alto range and don't sing too loudly too low.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
And here's what is termed a male soprano, that is, a man singing soprano in his natural voice, not falsetto.
The voice is more powerful than many if not most counter-tenors, carrying well over orchestra and chorus. I find it quite thrilling, YMMV

The excerpt is from Meyerbeer's opera 'Il crociato in Egitto,' and the role is possibly the last one written for a castrato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T4EMgRjh6o

What a voice! And if you take one of the side links I did, you can hear him singing Exultate Jubilate with great power and control.

There was a fellow in the choir at school a couple of years ahead of Dlet, whose normal voice was baritone. The choir director persuaded him to try counter tenor - he did and was then able to give much needed support to the altos (it being a boys' school, the life of an alto is about 6 months max, and that's not long enough to develop any great skill or experience in the voice).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago, I saw a man being interviewed on the television, who because of some unusual feature of his vocal chords, could sing all four voices. That is to say, when his voice broke, he did not lost his treble/suprano voice. When he sang in what would normally be the women's registers, he wasn't singing falsetto.

Apparently this is rare but not unknown, and he was much in demand to sing works originally written for castrati.

His normal speaking voice was middle range, just like any other man's. In the course of the interview, he referred several times and rather pointedly to his children.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:

Yep. .... I honestly don't entirely know what produces it. I certainly don't think it's as simple as a well-trained falsetto voice.
Congrats, Silas. But, although I'm not certain how it is produced, there are very capable falsettists: Andreas Scholl, for example, sings mostly in falsetto, but speaks and sometimes sings in a (rather less resonant) baritone. True counter-tenors have no "broken voice" - hate the expression - and cannot sing baritone. Of course, all voices can be improved by careful, knowledgeable, training.

Oh, I know. But then there are many singers like Ian Howell who say (Protest even!)that they do not sing falsetto, or at least not truly.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Counter-tenors, it should be understood, are male sopranos.

Not in my experience. Counter Tenors are quite common among church musicians, especially in cathedrals, and usually sing Alto.
They used to be referred to in certain circles - with intended humour - as "cock altos." Like most basses I can turn my hand to the alto part when needed, but the results are not pretty. A half decent "cock alto" in a chrch choir has a voice fit for solo work, but the voice s a bit hooty. Countertenors differ a little from cock altos in that the former have a fullness voice that is a bit lacking in the latter. Also Countertenors often have large ranges and quite a few sing roles in Baroque opera, written for castrati, that were taken by mezzos and sopranos a generation or two back.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some have fine baritone voices, and can switch between the two to surprising effect- Andreas Scholl is one of them. Others should stick to singing countertenor as their bass/baritone/tenor voice just doesn't sound so decent.

And some - well Dudley Moore - can switch between them with remarkable speed.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Something of a tangent - and leaving Hinge and Bracket out of this for the time being -

Some singers (well, me) are a bit puzzled over the terms "falsetto" and "head voice" which seem to be confused but logically should be quite different.

Basses and baritones are generally clear so far as "falsetto" goes. It's that ridiculously girly voice used for outrageously hilarious female impersonations in the course of beer-fuelled stag evenings (tenors, of course, do not attend such events). So far as proper singing is concerned, it's used only for occasional special-effects (and, don't tell anyone, a last-ditch defence against composers who write top F sharp or G for the second basses - yes I have seen this). It lies about (alas, not exactly) an octave above the normal voice. It is not the same as the sensation of a well-produced high note seeming to come from higher up in the head.

Technically, I understand, it's related to a change in the vibration mode in the vocal folds.

I'm led to understand that the situation for other singers is far more complex, especially since the singer can't actually see what's going on but is compelled to rely on subjective sensations, which in their way are very useful but don't define the mechanism of sound production in the terms a physicist might use.

Opinions will differ, of course, and the whole matter is highly subjective, but it does seem to me that most (perhaps not all) counter-tenors are using the falsetto described above for at least part of their range. At any rate, that's how it sounds to me; of course, what they do is very much refined by technique and practice. This would account for their being able to sing occasionally in the baritone or bass range.

I'll give my apologies at this stage for my background being science, engineering and acoustics, rather than music - doubtless there are things which I do not Understand.

Quote from - was it Mark Deller?
"My father could sing baritone, but badly...".

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Basses and baritones are generally clear so far as "falsetto" goes. It's that ridiculously girly voice used for outrageously hilarious female impersonations in the course of beer-fuelled stag evenings (tenors, of course, do not attend such events)....

And they only go out with girls who are vegetarian, librarians and ride bicycles.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Basses and baritones are generally clear so far as "falsetto" goes. It's that ridiculously girly voice used for outrageously hilarious female impersonations in the course of beer-fuelled stag evenings (tenors, of course, do not attend such events)....

And they only go out with girls who are vegetarian, librarians and ride bicycles.
Really, Enoch, you are not taking that seriously?
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was not aware of Vale Decum and salute Spiffy for the link.

Cattyish

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of 4 men I know who would prefer to sing alto, given a free choice, but as most choirs have too many altos and not enough tenors, they aren't necessarily encouraged to do so! I've had to move down to first tenor regularly as we can't find enough competent tenors.

Off the subject of classical countertenors, does anyone happen to know what Bobby McFerrin's total vocal range is? (He used to do the Cadbury's adverts about 20 years ago, and also the snowman sequence at the beginning of "Finding Nemo"; also "Don't Worry Be Happy", but used less of a range in that one.)

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016