homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Song lyrics: did Daniel die, and other mysteries (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Song lyrics: did Daniel die, and other mysteries
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
What, pray tell, is a pompatus?

Explanation !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:
Or the pleasure of chanting that stirring line from REM's Losing my Religion

'Let's pee in the corner! Let's pee in the spotlight!'

tsk tsk tsk... they're supposed to be pissing against a wall to be biblical. Oh, that's right; they're losing their religion.

I've always wondered why were the 16 vestal virgins leaving for the coast in "Whiter Shade of Pale."

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"That's very profound, Jimmy. What does it mean?"

" I'm fucked if I know, Terry!"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fogerty, incidentally, has such a strong accent (presumably Californian, but I've never heard anyone else sound like him. Um ... except the dude I stayed with in LA a coupla years ago. And I couldn't understand him either) to my antipodean ears that I can rarely understand his lyrics. Which is why I always wonder why 'memory and elephants were playing in the band'. But he and CCr remain amongst my musical pantheon.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, despite being just a little bit of a Dylanfreak, I have always been pissed off with his iconic quasi-Christian line 'I am hanging in the balance of the realioty of man / like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand'. Explain again how a grain of sand hangs in the balance of reality? Or a sparrow, falling, for that matter.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Fogerty, incidentally, has such a strong accent (presumably Californian, but I've never heard anyone else sound like him. Um ... except the dude I stayed with in LA a coupla years ago. And I couldn't understand him either) to my antipodean ears that I can rarely understand his lyrics. Which is why I always wonder why 'memory and elephants were playing in the band'. But he and CCr remain amongst my musical pantheon.

I'm not just making a lewd joke when I say that for a long time, the lyric I heard was "mammaries and elephents". But it's actually "tambourines", which really doesn't make any more sense than "mammaries", since instruments don't play themselves.

As for Fogerty's accent, CCR was indeed a Bay Area group, but I they were obviously trying for a down-home sound, so maybe his accent was a mangled attempt at doing that. Without knowing their origins, my Canadian ears would just assume that they were from a southern or border state.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

As for Fogerty's accent, CCR was indeed a Bay Area group, but I they were obviously trying for a down-home sound, so maybe his accent was a mangled attempt at doing that.

They were a bunch of El Cerrito boys ( read- starkly white suburban) trying to act like they were swamp rats.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

As for Fogerty's accent, CCR was indeed a Bay Area group, but I they were obviously trying for a down-home sound, so maybe his accent was a mangled attempt at doing that.

They were a bunch of El Cerrito boys ( read- starkly white suburban) trying to act like they were swamp rats.
One thing I'll note about CCR is that, despite their swampish aspirations, they never really developed much of a fan base on the country side of the rock-country divide. I don't think they have anything like the crossover cache that someone like Linda Ronstandt has.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Brown girl in the ring, show me your motion

(Eww, no thanks - that's why I never wanted to work in hospitals - please don't)

Now you've got me thinking - please tell me that 'brown girl in the ring' isn't a euphemism for a floater seen through the loo seat [Projectile]
[Roll Eyes] Brown Girl in the Ring.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Okay, here's a misheard lyric for ya: My sisters grew up listening to CCR and they thought Fogarty was singing, "Sweetie Jahikah" instead of "Sweet Hitchhiker". I laughed my ass off when they told me this story but then I had a chance to listen to the song and it DOES sound like's he's singing, "Sweetie Ja-hi-kah!" Listen to it and tell me I'm wrong. [Killing me]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Billie Joe visits the sawmill up on Choctaw Ridge the day before he jumps and does what there?

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Excuse me? I'm sure that's confidential.

--------------------

Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be prissy Zappa, it's not confidential if it relates to the crime scene.

Mama says nothin' ever comes to no good up on Choctaw Ridge. What was Billie Joe doing at the sawmill there except maybe sawing planks and making something? And why did it take two people to throw whatever-it-was off the bridge?

Because it was a little wooden coffin for the baby?

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Brown girl in the ring, show me your motion

I was joking about how Boney M released Rivers of Babylon, with Brown Girl... on the B side, then released Brown Girl... with Rivers... on the B side.

I said that they got stupid people who don't play B sides to buy the same record twice. Embarrasing because someone in the group I was addressing had done exactly that.

On the subject of Jamaican music, Did Musical Youth really sing about a cooking pot? I believe it was about dope smoking. But in either case, why pass it from the left hand side?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

which reminds me, and I know that this isn't technically the misheard lyrics thread, but for years i thought that Boney M sang 'how can we sing the Lord's Song in Australia?'.

I also thought they wrote the lyrics. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
And are we all going to Scarborough Fair, and do we all have some herbage fixation?

And if you want someone there to start making your clothes and doing your laundry you can go and tell her yourself.

My mum often sang round the house, and she didn't have the happiest of marriages to my dad, so I did worry that one evening I'd hear her singing "Ooowee, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" though why that should announce someone's imminent departure was beyond me.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe Musical Youth changed the lyrics from their druggie origins to a blameless cooking pot because of their aforesaid youth.
No idea about the direction of passing though.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously a matter of etiquette. As port passes to the left, so , presumably, dope passes to the right.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
I think we have stumbled upon some exciting new Dan Brownesque code. This must be how the guys who dug up the Rosetta Stone felt.

Even the parts of the song that are erroneous, and thus prove the writer's intentions to be trivial, could be given an esoteric reading that fits the code.

"Okay, so Kilimanjaro doesn't rise above the Serengeti. But perhaps you know the expresssion 'make the mountain come to Muhammed'.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

My mum often sang round the house, and she didn't have the happiest of marriages to my dad, so I did worry that one evening I'd hear her singing "Ooowee, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" though why that should announce someone's imminent departure was beyond me.

Thanks so much for the ear worm. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
... "Ooowee, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" ...

Thanks so much for the ear worm. [Roll Eyes]
You think that's a bad earworm? After all those posts about Boney M? [Devil]
quote:
Brown girl in the ring, tra la la la la
She looks like the back-end of a bus ...

Although now I think about it, that song does bring back very fond memories of a school trip to Norway in 1978 ... [Cool]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian wood?

So it rhymes and it scans, but what the hell does Norwegian wood have to do with a tawdry one-night stand?

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That never made sense to me, either. I presumed it was an English interior decorating scheme.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, that makes a certain amount of sense. Somehow, it just never crossed my mind that John Lennon might be interested in interior design...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hm. Hopefully Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen is a lurker and can fill us in.

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pardon me, Paul Simon? Are we denying the obvious child, or are we denying the obvious, child?

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hm. Hopefully Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen is a lurker and can fill us in.

I'm not L Ll-B (alas? not sure), but I've always envisaged it as that sort of knotty pine look that was quite fashionable among those of slightly advanced tastes in the 60s. Maybe a bit like this.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

So it rhymes and it scans, but what the hell does Norwegian wood have to do with a tawdry one-night stand?

Perhaps the protagonist in the song is a male Norwegian.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Somehow, it just never crossed my mind that John Lennon might be interested in interior design...
The Beatles were actually pretty concerned with home upkeep.

I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom and dad used to sing a song, and I've always wondered what The Thing really was...

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Judy - love that!

As for Norwegian Wood, I heard it was originally 'Knowing she would' and ws changed to ensure airplay, but that may be a myth.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

Perhaps the protagonist in the song is a male Norwegian.
WHOA!
[Killing me]

--------------------

MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe its meant to be A Norwegian Would other Scandanavians are available.

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He sets fire to her flat in the last verse - 'So I lit a fire / isn't it good, Norwegian wood?'

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Word of God (copied from the Wikipedia page about this song):

McCartney explained the title and lyric as follows:

quote:
Peter Asher [brother of McCartney's then-girlfriend Jane Asher] had his room done out in wood, a lot of people were decorating their places in wood. Norwegian wood. It was pine, really, cheap pine. But it's not as good a title, "Cheap Pine", baby. So it was a little parody really on those kind of girls who when you'd go to their flat there would be a lot of Norwegian wood. It was completely imaginary from my point of view but in John's it was based on an affair he had. This wasn't the decor of someone's house, we made that up. So she makes him sleep in the bath and then finally in the last verse I had this idea to set the Norwegian wood on fire as revenge, so we did it very tongue in cheek. She led him on, then said, "You'd better sleep in the bath." In our world the guy had to have some sort of revenge ... so it meant I burned the place down ....

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the (Frank) Zappa version to the tune of 'Norwegian Wood'. It's called "Texas Motel" and is about a certain prominent US TV evangelist (JS) 'caught with his pants dowm'!!
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
[X-post with BA]

Have you ever tried singing Ken's posts?

I find they work really well, not sung but recited rapid-fire. It's very John Cooper-Clarke.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

re: the Beatles, I've always found the reason provided for the girl's leaving home to be a little anti-climactic...

quote:
Fun is the one thing that money can't buy
Something inside that was always denied

It would be more poignant if it was something like love that was always denied. But the complaint as written essentially amounts to saying "Her parents were boring and/or too strict".

But I guess pop-stars have never gone wrong pandering to the inflated grievences of youth.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
you mean there is no South Detroit? my mind is blown.

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread!

The southernmost part of Detroit (not counting Southwest Detroit) is called "Downtown," and, with a few exceptions now, nobody lives there.

However, about 150 years ago, Windsor, Ontario was briefly called "South Detroit" - 'cause it's south of Detroit, across the strait (French: détroit). I doubt that's the meaning of the song.

See what wikipedia has to say:
South Detroit
...although I've never heard anyone refer to Downriver or to parts of Southwest Detroit as "South Detroit."

A clothing company, "Down With Detroit," has a t-shirt available with that line, "Born and raised in South Detroit" along with a maple leaf. And I've just discovered this:

South Detroit Shirts

I think there's a small town called "South Detroit" in some other state, but that wouldn't fit the song.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Where the hell is "South Detroit"? In the river?

And unless the "city boy" plans on farming, taking the train is a bad idea. Journey was a San Francisco band. Spend some time educating the locals about your hometown.
[Big Grin]

Well, you can take the train from Detroit to Chicago, which I've often done, or to Toledo (and on from there). I'm not sure whether you can take a train to Toronto. I know trains go under the river, but I'm not sure if any passenger trains do. I've never looked into it. But yeah, there aren't a lot of trains to just hop on and take "anywhere." The geography kinda precludes that.

(Funnily, I meet a lot of folks from Detroit/elsewhere in Michigan out here! You can even buy Vernors here, which is a sign there are a good number of us...)

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
re: the Beatles, I've always found the reason provided for the girl's leaving home to be a little anti-climactic...

quote:

It would be more poignant if it was something like love that was always denied. But the complaint as written essentially amounts to saying "Her parents were boring and/or too strict".

But I guess pop-stars have never gone wrong pandering to the inflated grievences of youth.

That's what actually happened, though. 'She' was a girl called Melanie Coe, who ran away from her strict parents. Paul McCartney saw her story in the paper and turned it into a song. http://www.thebeatlesonline.com/pages/beatles_shesleavinghome.htm

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Sometimes the ambiguity in a lyric is pleasing.

"I've got a mouse, and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why
I call him Gerald."

Is it, "...he hasn't got a house - I don't know why. I call him Gerald" or is it "...he hasn't got a house. I don't know why I call him Gerald."

I prefer the latter. [Cool]

[ 05. July 2012, 20:55: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
quote:

quote:

That's what actually happened, though. 'She' was a girl called Melanie Coe, who ran away from her strict parents. Paul McCartney saw her story in the paper and turned it into a song. http://www.thebeatlesonline.com/pages/beatles_shesleavinghome.htm
Well, the article says that Paul McCartney didn't actually know her reasons for running away when he wrote the song.

Later, after the song had become a hit, she said she had been looking for "excitement and affection", and complained that "my mother never kissed me". So it seems that her resentment went a bit beyond simply not getting enough fun.

As well, she had apparently won a TV mime contest in 1963, and, coincidentally, been handed the award by no less a personage than Paul himself, who would have been a big celebrity by that time. Unless her parents were stage-mom types who were forcing her to do that against her wishes, it sounds like fun to me.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I have a pair of brand new roller skates, of what use to me is your brand new key?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

I've always found the song Mandy very strange. Shadows of which man? Whose face through a window? I feel we should be told!

[ 06. July 2012, 19:03: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
If I have a pair of brand new roller skates, of what use to me is your brand new key?

Not to mention...

quote:
for somebody who don't drive I been all around the world
Big deal. I don't drive either, and I still manage to divide my time between Asia and North America.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never did work out what was going on at Midnight at the Oasis, you know,until now. Blimming Wikipedia - takes all the fun out of it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Sometimes the ambiguity in a lyric is pleasing.

"I've got a mouse, and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why
I call him Gerald."

Is it, "...he hasn't got a house - I don't know why. I call him Gerald" or is it "...he hasn't got a house. I don't know why I call him Gerald."

I prefer the latter. [Cool]

No one will tell you until you repair your ripped cloak.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
quote:

Not to mention...

quote:
for somebody who don't drive I been all around the world
Big deal. I don't drive either, and I still manage to divide my time between Asia and North America.

FWIW I believe Melanie hates flying too

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You dain't be growing up in Dahset. That one be a turrible rewrite of I've got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key and it makes sense in that context.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016