homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What do you wear? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What do you wear?
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 'at home' attire is baggy tee-shirts and shorts or sweat pants and sandles or bare feet. This is a reaction against the usual bishop's everyday rig of black suit, black shoes, black or (if I have to) purple clerical shirt, pectoral cross and bishop's ring. It black suit routine kid of irritates me as if one has to dress up one might as well be stylish. At least the old apron and gaiters made a statement. When it is hotter than hell here it is not unknown for me to wear sandals, tan pants, and a purple tab collar shirt as the Office does not have A/C.

PD

[ 07. July 2012, 03:31: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I'm veging out in a pair of old track pants, rugby top and warm cardigan as the weather is freezing here. As it is Saturday I'm in old clothes to do the housework (hope no one visits). However, yesterday I was clad in hospital uniform of navy pants a striped shirt plus duty shoes. I guess tomorrow I will be a little more respectable for church.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
Orchid seersucker pants along with an orchid t-shirt clothes are chosen for comfort. My quirky clothes are sweat pants worn with a t-shirt well chewed by my parrot. That shirt is not worn in public. Since I'm no longer working for the Dress Code Nazis I aim for comfort.

Ah! Another seersucker aficionada! If those orchid pants are plaid, I might just own them, too. (And a reminder: boys and girls from across the Pond, pants in America are also trousers. The kind worn underneath by females, next to the -ahem- nethers are "panties". [Smile] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we should call them "netherpants"!

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Thickish fleece or knit material as an outer layer. Possibly with a hood. Possibly fleecy backed. Occasionally called a windcheater but that's fairly old. Usually not open down the front but more like a jumper (sweater style) as in sense used down here.

Lots of pond differences here in terms. Fleecy backed where I've used it means brushed and fluffy, not fleece garments.

Your use of sloppy joe, which I do understand, would be met with very blank looks here.

Thanks, Loth

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
Orchid seersucker pants along with an orchid t-shirt clothes are chosen for comfort. My quirky clothes are sweat pants worn with a t-shirt well chewed by my parrot. That shirt is not worn in public. Since I'm no longer working for the Dress Code Nazis I aim for comfort.

Ah! Another seersucker aficionada! If those orchid pants are plaid, I might just own them, too. (And a reminder: boys and girls from across the Pond, pants in America are also trousers. The kind worn underneath by females, next to the -ahem- nethers are "panties". [Smile] )
Is there any other kind for summer wear? [Smile] They were plain though, not plaid. And yes, I forgot differences in terminology across the pond.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You wouldn't want to visit my house, then... my attire at home is (99%of the time) zilch. I feel more comfortable that way. OK, I adjust according to who might be around... we all know who is OK with the situation and who is not.

Outside of the house and garden, I dress pretty damn conservatively...in fact, SWTSMBO complains that I dress quite formally far too often. Each to their own, eh?

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At home in the summer I'm in shorts, with a light button-up collared shirt hung by the door in case I have to go out or someone stops by. I would walk around in my boxers, but our religiously conservative neighbor's windows look right into our living room and I'm afraid of what would happen if they saw me. (I could easily imagine the husband coming over to beat the crap out of me for 'showing off' to his wife.) [Hot and Hormonal]

The one unique piece of apparel that I own is a wide-brimmed filson hat thats been on my head through many adventures. It always smells of sweat and campfire smoke and is spattered with grime and blood. It's absolutely disgusting, and I love the hell out of it.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am wearing khaki canoe shorts and a khaki "Michigan My Michigan" T-shirt featuring a stylized goddess-like female figure surrounded by fish and birds and stars and bearing the state motto, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."

Weird things I wear. Hmmm. Most of my clothes are sturdy and utilitarian, which I suppose makes them weird to fashion plates. But nothing I would consider weird.

I did incur the wrath of my mother back in high school when I attempted to appropriate one of her damask tablecloths to use as a stola at our high school Latin banquet. In retrospect, that was pretty weird.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Imagining Meerkat sticking nakedly to leather or plastic furniture...)

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mid-winter.... So, thick trousers, jumper (ie sweater), warm socks, winter dressing gown, rug... On sofa, eating toasted sandwiches, by the fire, watching tv, sick with a cold but somehow led church today... And the building was freezing.
My winter dressing gown is warm and cosy, and I often wear it round the house in my private life.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good job the webcam is switched off on my laptop (*hurriedly checks webcam IS switched off!*) as I am sitting here in my knickers and a purple t-shirt which I wear in bed stating "This is what a perfect mom looks like". The fact that the t-shirt says "mom" shows clearly that it was a gift from overseas - as someone who has already posted on this thread may recall - and it is one of my favourite items of night-attire (I can't wear it in public or I'd have to stop shouting at my son!)

I am definitely a pyjama person - I get much more achieved if I work whilst in my pyjamas at home, and I relax better in my PJs too. Shame I can't wear them to work, really.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

I am definitely a pyjama person - I get much more achieved if I work whilst in my pyjamas at home, and I relax better in my PJs too. Shame I can't wear them to work, really.

I like to do the cleaning in my pyjamas - so I don't mess up my nice jeans, I'm a rather enthusiastic cleaner. Then the jammies go straight in the wash and I get in the shower.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see - navy blue cotton trousers, pretty blue floral print Indian cotton smock, lacy blue cardi, grey lace-trimmed camisole top. Cornflower blue knickers, (none of this pants nonsense!). Midnight-blue ballerina style velveteen slippers with two-tone blue bows.

Oh, and reading specs held on by forget-me-not blue beaded glasses chain.

Do you sense there's a bit of a theme here?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We Meerkats don't stick to furniture, as we have furry butts. lol

--------------------
Simples!

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

Also, our cute little tails provide something to break any possible sticky suction!

--------------------
Simples!

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back from a cycle ride and cooling off, so I'm wearing dark blue lycra shorts and a Toshiba cycle jersey.

I'm sorry if the image of me in lycra has put anyone off their food.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
Back from a cycle ride and cooling off, so I'm wearing dark blue lycra shorts and a Toshiba cycle jersey.

I'm sorry if the image of me in lycra has put anyone off their food.

Nah! I'm used to Mr M's extensive collection of cycle gear, after all!
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some black stuff (mostly whilst actively fulfilling my vocation) and some blue stuff mostly while i'm "off."

ALL my clothes are either blue or black. Everything (inc socks and undies).

No patterns, checks, stripes, frills or bits and bobs. Gave the rest to charity shop years ago. Soft cotton is also pretty much in evidence.

AtB, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to live in a brightly-coloured Hawaiian shirt and shorts for most of the summer, although now that I am semi-retired and serving halftime in a fairly conservative church, I no longer preach in Hawaiian shirts.
Today is a special day; my wife and I heading out to a very nice restaurant for brunch with our son, and then on to the Calgary Stampede, so will be wearing a beige shirt covered in fishing scenes, and light-brown twill trousers, as well as brown suede "desert boots."
I will trade my Tilley hat for a straw hat, though; while I managed to justify spending $110 for a Tilley hat, I can't get my head around $180 for a cowboy hat, or $250 for cowboy boots that would pinch my triple-E wide footsies.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old Comic Relief t shirt with Miranda Richardson as Queen Elizabeth I with a red nose, and long denim skirt. Pretty much the only things in my house not covered in baby sick.

I should like to be wearing a 1940s / 1950s tea dress, proper stockings, kitten heels, a string of pearls, immaculately coiffed hair and bright red lipstick. One day...

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeans and a light cotton shirt. Except for trousers at work it's got to be natural. My remaining polycotton shirts go to the charity bin as the second button comes off.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm dressing up a bit for church these days and I'm still in that outfit. So I'm in a neon orange/coral coloured lace knee-length flared skirt, a navy t shirt, a pale pink cotton cardigan, coral dyed quartz earrings and possum fur slippers (brought over from New Zealand - so warm and soft!). At church and out walking it was cheap beige ballet flats instead of the slippers.

It's gotten a bit chilly so I've got a lovely grey wool laprug from the National Trust over my legs.

As for anything odd I wear... well, my British aunt and uncle looked askance at my possum slippers. I also wore a wool coat down to breakfast as it was cold and I didn't have a dressing gown. But generally I think I'm odd in that I put a fair bit of effort into presenting myself. I feel to dress a bit more formally than my workmates, for example.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue loose elasticated-waisted trousers and a purple cotton smock top, with some beads my daughter bought for me.

The blue trousers are unusual - most things in my wardrobe are pink or purple. They're my favourite colours and it means everything coordinates. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel very uncomfortable if I wear my night clothes after I've got up - I always change into my day clothes as soon as I've got up and been to the bathroom. I couldn't sit at the computer in my night clothes unless I was really feeling ill (in which case I'd probably stay in bed anyway).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was working at my school holiday job I would be wearing my lovely uniform of bottle green track pants with white stripes, fire engine red polo shirt with white accents and logo and a long sleeved white T underneath for extra warmth. I had to buy new sneakers as my white and light blue ones fell apart and the only ones I liked and fitted were electric blue. They really match the uniform. Lucky I work with kids who couldn't care less.

As I have a day off I'm wearing jeans, a slightly dressy white t-shirt and a gun-metal blue cardigan. Most of my T-shirts are a bit dressy so I can wear them when I'm teaching. When I go out (going to the museum with Mum to see an exhibition) I'll add black ankle boots and my black parka jacket and black woolen gloves if it's cold enough. I also stick with boot leg jeans rather than skinny regardless of fashion.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impoverished Intern AA tends towards niceish jeans and button-down seersucker or plaid shirts. Oh, and hiking boots.

Biker AA is pretty much notable for the awesome socks, especially the red and yellow New Mexico flag ones.

"Ironic" "AA" has his penchant for tweed and corduroy jackets, argyle socks, cowboy boots, vintage ties of all description (always tasteful, but sometimes skinny or diamond-point bow), and the grey porkpie. The best things hipsters ever did is let people think I'm trying to be fashionable, when, really, that's just me.

Oh, and there is the part of me that browses eBay for "cheap" Charvet shirts and ties straight from Place Vendôme . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I will be wearing a black academic gown over my suit, with a green hood and mortar board. In addition, I will be carrying a large, solid silver mace.

I love degree congregation season [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
This morning I will be wearing a black academic gown over my suit, with a green hood and mortar board. In addition, I will be carrying a large, solid silver mace.

And, of course, percentile dice.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was that a D&D reference? It's been a long time since I dabbled in that...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yeah, percentile dice to hit, but the mace would probably do 2d6 damage.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just got up, and the mercury still being in the negative, I am checking out the ship over breakfast. I am wearing what I slept in - which is always an old pair of black stretch leisure pants and a long sleeved tee. Except that on rising I added a black woollen jumper and my favourite purple silk velvet padded jacket because I don't own a dressing gown. Don't own proper jammies either, having decided long ago that recycling my oldest comfy wear as pyjamas suited me just fine. If it was summer, I'd be sitting here wrapped in a black silk man's wedding kimono (the equivalent of a Japanese tuxedo).

I love oriental textiles, so there's a fair bit of that sort of thing in my wardrobe.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Any pictures, Marvin?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:

Yes, but it's a solid silver mace, so use 2d8, -4 hit penalty, and add a +30 bonus against undead and evil outsiders. This, of course, stacks on Marvin's cleric bonus to turning undead (why else would one wearing those silly robes?) and +2 bonus to wisdom and intelligence/-1 charisma penalty given by the robes themselves.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today my working attire - I work at home in my twin roles as writer and carer. Incredibly scruffy old trousers and ancient blue shirt. I hasten to add that I change if I go out!

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
Today my working attire - I work at home in my twin roles as writer and carer. Incredibly scruffy old trousers and ancient blue shirt. I hasten to add that I change if I go out!

Why are old, scruffy clothes so much more comfortable? I often have to change to go out!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Because they stretch to fit. Jeans in particular, are at their most comfortable just before they fall apart.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Because they stretch to fit. Jeans in particular, are at their most comfortable just before they fall apart.

Mind you - people buy new jeans which are full of holes!

(I remember buying indigo denim and sitting in the bath to shrink them to my bum - happy days!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh me too! Which is why I could be found last Tuesday and Wednesday swanning around campus in red academic robes and a John Knox cap. I also learned who ought to take their hat off on the stage (those who are not members of the senate) and some more about the order of the procession - town mace present: town mace, civic procession, university maces, academic procession. Town mace absent: university maces, civic procession, academic procession. And that the female equivalent of an emeritas professor is an emerita professor and most groups of graduates are alumni, but all-female groups are alumnae.

The different regalia everyone gets according to where their degrees come from makes for wonderful sartorial comparison while the registry bods are trying to get us in the right order!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

Any pictures, Marvin?
Sure, why not?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:

Yes, but it's a solid silver mace, so use 2d8, -4 hit penalty, and add a +30 bonus against undead and evil outsiders. This, of course, stacks on Marvin's cleric bonus to turning undead (why else would one wearing those silly robes?) and +2 bonus to wisdom and intelligence/-1 charisma penalty given by the robes themselves.
Geek.

Today in a rare move I'm wearing Professional Work Attire (tm) to work rahter than jeans. It's rubbish but necessary as I have meetings with external colleagues.

I would rather be in my PJs. I'd _always_ rather be in my PJs

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I are mainly wearing, brown boots, lightweight olive trousers, tattersall shirt, olive moleskin waistcoat and a maroon cravat and I have an oiled cotton coat and a deerstalker for braving the thunderstorms due later.

I like to wear my kung fu suit, I wear my old faded black one around the house all the time and sometimes wear a fairly smart grey-blue one to the office.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any pictures, Marvin?
Sure, why not?
You look splendid, Marvin, and thank you for the happy trip down Memory Lane - I studied at Birmingham years ago. [Smile]

/tangent

I agree about night clothes in the day - I don't feel that I'm ready for anything until I'm dressed. Apart from very rare days, such as Sunday, when I was staying with my sister in law and we sat in her lounge all morning with cups of tea and the papers, blobbing about in our night things. [Smile]

I'm realising from this thread how few clothes I possess - probably about three pairs of the same style of trousers which I wear all summer with a selection of perhaps six alternating tops... *feels like a slob* [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday attire: Black or gray clerical shirt, clerical collar, Geneva gown. I have three of these --- two black (one medium weight, one lightweight) and one gray (medium weight). If it's hot, I'll wear the gown open, with a cummerbund (a custom I learned years ago from an elderly colleague).

Everyday attire: Oxford cotton shirt and somewhat dressy slacks. If I'm making pastoral calls, I'll stick a tie on. I will sometimes wear the clerical collar for hospital calls.

Casual attire: Slacks or jeans, long- or short-sleeved shirt, depending on the weather. I rarely wear shorts.

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
[The] black suit routine kind of irritates me as if one has to dress up one might as well be stylish. PD

It's the cut not the colour, Reverendissime Pater!

I am currently wearing a white double-cuffed shirt with semi-spread collar and beige moleskins. Were I still at work I would be wearing the aforementioned shirt with a mid-grey wool/silk double-breasted buttons-two shows-six suit, silver Prince of Wales check tie with blue overcheck, steel grey handkerchief, grey/blue heel and toe socks, grey barathea braces, black Adelaide Oxfords and a blue-grey fedora with a dary grey band (the latter not indoors, obviously.) The hat would also be the odd thing I like to wear, or possibly sock suspenders.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't by any chance shop at Tails and the Unexpected in Penarth, do you?

I wondre whether any shipmate of my vintage remembers Mr Hardinge's marvellous clothes stall in Cambridge Market, just by the back of GSM, in the late 80s? A wonderful place.

[ 11. July 2012, 21:09: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post, but yes Marvin, you do look splendid.

As it happens, I was processing at a graduation today as well- light grey checked sb suit, white shirt, pale green knitted tie with lilac spots (all Paul Smith via eBay), all topped with the very gaudy robes of a University of Wales PhD Humanities (crimson cloth faced with mazarin blue shot green silk!).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
You don't by any chance shop at Tails and the Unexpected in Penarth, do you?

Back when he was still in Jacob's Market I did! I really must pay him a visit some time. My favourite ever vintage suit (Anderson & Shepherd, very heavy but soft blue serge, perfectly proportioned double-breasted) came from him - £30, about 12 years ago.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally in summer it's jeans and T shirt (or short-sleeved casual shirt). Today it was jeans, T-shirt, sleeved shirt and jumper, plus rainproof jacket. I was just about warm enough in the biting wind. More like March than July. By this afternoon in the sheltered back garden it was warm enough to dispense with the top two layers.

It's rarely so hot here that I would feel the need for shorts. Being self-conscious about my legs I need to be somewhere extremely hot and anonymous.

Sunday it will probably be black jeans or trousers and clerical shirt. With added weather protection if necessary.

There are two sorts of people in the world. Those who think it's too hot, and those who think it's too cold.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am wearing this dress pattern made up in a red and cream large floral-print cotton fabric (without the silly bow in the picture) and flat brown sandals.

I don't think anything in my wardrobe qualifies as "odd," though a distinct lack of black things might be a tad unusual.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016