homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What do you wear? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What do you wear?
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
[The] black suit routine kind of irritates me as if one has to dress up one might as well be stylish. PD

It's the cut not the colour, Reverendissime Pater!

I am currently wearing a white double-cuffed shirt with semi-spread collar and beige moleskins. Were I still at work I would be wearing the aforementioned shirt with a mid-grey wool/silk double-breasted buttons-two shows-six suit, silver Prince of Wales check tie with blue overcheck, steel grey handkerchief, grey/blue heel and toe socks, grey barathea braces, black Adelaide Oxfords and a blue-grey fedora with a dary grey band (the latter not indoors, obviously.) The hat would also be the odd thing I like to wear, or possibly sock suspenders.

The conventional two- or three piece suit and I are not good friends. I am not particularly tall, and most definitely stout in that peculiar way in which men wholike beer and food and walking tend to be stout. My wife says I look my best in a kilt, or a frock coat!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
[The] black suit routine kind of irritates me as if one has to dress up one might as well be stylish. PD

It's the cut not the colour, Reverendissime Pater!

The conventional two- or three piece suit and I are not good friends. I am not particularly tall, and most definitely stout in that peculiar way in which men wholike beer and food and walking tend to be stout. My wife says I look my best in a kilt, or a frock coat!

PD

Hmm. Whilst I think that wearing frock coats should definitely be encouraged (I have a single-breasted one of which I am particularly fond, bought from the sale "Tails and the Unexpected" emporium Albertus mentioned upthread), I wonder if you have experimented with a double-breasted suit? It is said not to favour shorter men but I don't really think that is true. As with most clothes-related issues, the real determinant of how it looks is the fit.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never wear a suit or tie anymore: when I am reading at mass, I wear nice long trousers and a polo or button-up shirt with good black or brown shoes. My favourite shoes to wear to church are a pair of Clark's black oxfords: I paid £25 for them in London about five years ago.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week whatever I'm wearing will always be with red shiny peep toe high wedges that I'm desperately trying to get comfortable before I wear them for real. The look can either be quite stylish or pretty weird, depending on whatever I found that was wearable.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sandals any more this week, that's for sure! Twice now I've come to work in sandals and gone home in the backup shoes and socks I've brought, because it's raining *again*

Mrs. S, fed up with cold feet in July

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Dry season]: Sandals. Shorts. Tee shirt.
[Build-up & wet season]: Sandals. Shorts. Short sleeved cotton business shirt. Several in a day. The material in tee-shirts is too clingy.

I start a new job next week and may have to begin looking more swish. I guess my naked toes and knees will have to disappear into (lightweight) trousers and shoes and socks.

*sigh*

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that it's school holidays I'm super lazy and keep my jamas on 'till I go swimming at lunch time - then I put my cossie on with clothes on top for a quick strip.

(My jamas are just like a track suit - so no shocks for the postie!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
[Build-up & wet season]: Sandals. Shorts. Short sleeved cotton business shirt. Several in a day. The material in tee-shirts is too clingy.

I start a new job next week and may have to begin looking more swish. I guess my naked toes and knees will have to disappear into (lightweight) trousers and shoes and socks.

*sigh*

I'm irresistibly reminded of Les Murray's 'The Dream of Wearing Shorts Forever'

Today I am wearing, by contrast, in the English summer:

Purple dress with royal blue long-sleeved t-shirt under it, and royal blue tights, and a lavender scarf, and red felt slippers (which will be replaced, when I go out, with a pair of sheepskin boots).

I love to wear my sheepskin boots. I suffer dreadfully from cold toes, and since getting them I have had happy, warm feet.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Among other things, I'm wearing Jesus sandals.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Among other things, I'm wearing Jesus sandals.

Give them back straight away [Big Grin]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Enigma: Give them back straight away [Big Grin]
LOL, I have shoulder-length hair and a bit of a beard too, so it's actually part of a plan to look more like Him. Isn't this what the Bible asks of us? [Biased]

BTW the sandals are all from recycled material, old car tyres etc. I think that's kind of cool.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just occasionally one winces at, how shall I say this?, slightly older people wearing jeans or teenage clothes. There was a time when children dressed to look like their parents, now parents dress to look like their children. This might apply largely to males. Yes, there is the 'grow old disgracefully' argument ones hears but...

Only last week a woman walked past me as I happened to be with my elderly grandmother. My mother noticed the woman's clingy leggings, the sort usually worn by people slightly too stout to carry them off, and said 'she's far too old for those' in her stage whisper. Being deaf this was audible to all. The titters at the bus stop from a group of early teenagers implied they probably agreed with her.

John Betjeman once remarked that on the beach, perhaps people should be in some sense aesthetically pleasing, male or female. before bombarding one's eyesight with naked flesh.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I was waylaid by someone prepping a fashion column which may or may not appear in our local paper. They snapped me an did a short interview; I was rather vainly pleased about that. I was wearing a black double-breasted 8x4 buttoning naval blazer, mushroom linen trousers, black tie with a royal blue and cream stripe, cream shirt, black brogues and a grey-green fedora.

--------------------
Catholic books

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm internet surfing in bed, so.... not much! (Sorry, TMI?)

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
John Betjeman once remarked that on the beach, perhaps people should be in some sense aesthetically pleasing, male or female. before bombarding one's eyesight with naked flesh.

But seriously, perhaps people on the beach should wear whatever they want, since they aren't there for John Betjeman's aesthetic pleasure, but instead they just want to enjoy the sunshine on their skin?

[ 21. July 2012, 00:21: Message edited by: ecumaniac ]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Today I was waylaid by someone prepping a fashion column which may or may not appear in our local paper. They snapped me an did a short interview; I was rather vainly pleased about that. I was wearing a black double-breasted 8x4 buttoning naval blazer, mushroom linen trousers, black tie with a royal blue and cream stripe, cream shirt, black brogues and a grey-green fedora.

Whoa! I would be struck frozen and mute by your very presence, sir. [Overused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Whoa! I would be struck frozen and mute by your very presence, sir. [Overused]
This is not doing wonders for my vanity you know. But thank you!

--------------------
Catholic books

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:

quote:

But seriously, perhaps people on the beach should wear whatever they want, since they aren't there for John Betjeman's aesthetic pleasure, but instead they just want to enjoy the sunshine on their skin?

--------------------
sebhyatt

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:

quote:

There is a beach near here and the problem is...they do.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your problem is they do. They don't have a problem unless some self-righteous git (not you, sebby) comes up to tell them they look like a beached whale. That happened to me. The -erm- lady who did so 1) was very proud that she had lost some weight herself, 2) hadn't lost it "all" yet, not by a long shot, and 3) evidently thought she was being kind and helpful, because she pronounced on me while wearing a sweet, smug smile.

Get out of my sunlight, bitch!

[ 21. July 2012, 17:36: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you were to throw together the last ten seasons' styles of Dash, Tulchan, Country Casuals, Grenouille and James Meade with the occasional splash of colour from Joules, Crew, Seasalt and Lazy Jacks, put in your hand and pull out three roughly co-ordinating items, you would come up with what I am wearing most days of the week. Except Sundays, of course, and you all know what I wear then.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I cannot stand to see is old men (or any men, for that matter) who insist on wearing black calf-length dress socks and loafers with their tan shorts. It just screams "Snow bird!"

I also cannot abide the propensity for men to wear brown belt and shoes with navy pants. One wears black leather with navy clothing.

What I am wearing at the moment is Keen sandals, khaki shorts, and my University of Alabama football jersey. Although I may change into a polo before I go find something for dinner.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I've been wearing all summer are tan or white cropped pants (I know they make short women look shorter, I don't care, it's too damned hot), short-sleeved knit tops, and nice sandals. I work at my church so I attempt to look decent but not formal.

At the moment I'm at home wearing hiking shorts, flip-flops, and a sports bra. I don't plan on going out like this, but at the moment, I don't care. It's too damned hot.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:

[Overused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look at the elegant and frequently changed fashion wear of some of my dear friends at church, and I am not envious. At my age, with our pensions and a bit beside, I can wear what I jolly well like. Any day of the week in winter it's a Pick-a-berry top because I like to have a collar (hence not a sweatshirt) and I can get a new colour every year or so*, and some warm trousers, not trackpants but pretty shapeless. Having been taught by my daughter to be colour coordinated I have socks to match the colour of my top, but the shop where I bought plain socks of many colours went out of business, which will present a problem when the current supply wears out. My shoes are an old pair of Nikes in which I can walk any distance; they're no longer watertight but I have a replacement pair from the last sale; I try not to think that they may have been made by slave labour.
In summer the pants are lightweight and the shirts are poly-cotton mostly
I can go up a notch with tailored trousers from the Op-shop and so on for going out to dinner or standing in the pulpit, but in general when I look at the more smartly dressed I reflect that our money goes on petrol, with frequent long-distance trips between the city and Matarangi.

*This year's pale blue, at the usual price of $25 – two days later the half-price sale started. Grrrr!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm lazy, and I've just changed out of today's sunday mass outfit (Of a white shirt,black slacks, navy with with white stripes and black cap toe oxfords) to my usual lounging/doing anything but work or church outfit of cargo shorts, an old band t-shirt and Levi's knockoff vans that have long worn to the point of replacement. Sometimes I mix it up and wear khaki cargo cutoffs or camo cargos, but that's about it 99% of the time.

Not really odd, but I always wear the same watch whwethr I;m in dress clothes or I'm dressed nicely: a 1987 X-rated Swatch.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ended up wearing black trousers, black clerical shirt, black socks, and crocs today. The blasted planter's what-do-ya-call-it was playing me up, and crocs are about the only shoes I can tolerate when that happens. Thankfully I found the old pair of black lace-up shoes that I keep in my office for emergencies, so at least I did not celebrate Communion in crocs! Poor attendance at the second service today. The heat and humidity probably discouraged some of the fair weather folks.

PD

[ 23. July 2012, 04:49: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

- Posted      Profile for Hebdom   Email Hebdom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • tracky daks (navy blue)
  • polar fleecy top (emerald green)
  • t shirt (sickly pink)
  • ugh boots

Mid winter in the southern city!

(code fixed)

[ 26. July 2012, 14:19: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 163 | From: Terra australis | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just occasionally one winces at, how shall I say this?, slightly older people wearing jeans or teenage clothes. There was a time when children dressed to look like their parents, now parents dress to look like their children.

Most of my 50-60ish friends and I wear jeans. Particularly in the winter along with sweaters and boots. We aren't trying to look like our children but like ourselves, the way we've always dressed during our casual hours. We baby boomers invented the idea of jeans for movies/travel,shopping, etc. We even had a popular song called, "Forever in Bluejeans." Please don't make us wear lavender flowered dresses to work in the garden!

As for beach wear, I find it's hard to swim in long pants and shirts.

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today we have locked the door and agreed to not laugh at each other. It is well over 35 degrees in the office and I am in my Borat style "mankini" while my colleagues are wearing various forms of beachwear from Speedos to thongs and at least one other mankini wearer. Note to anyone interested in following suit - you can't sit down at a desk in a mankini without displaying your credentials. A piece of string around the hips keeps everything covered up.

I'm still sweating like a pig though...

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Today we have locked the door and agreed to not laugh at each other. It is well over 35 degrees in the office and I am in my Borat style "mankini" while my colleagues are wearing various forms of beachwear from Speedos to thongs and at least one other mankini wearer. Note to anyone interested in following suit - you can't sit down at a desk in a mankini without displaying your credentials. A piece of string around the hips keeps everything covered up.

I'm still sweating like a pig though...

[Eek!]

This is made up - it MUST be!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, it was a bet though. They made me change into a pair of shorts after I was seen trying to fish crisps out of my mankini at lunchtime. If this heat continues monday is going to be nude day. I just wish it was not an all-male office.

Oh the delights of working in web design...

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as I wish I'd been there to see Bob and his co-workers, I've never agreed that it's coolest to wear nothing. Look at the people in the middle east -- they've settled on light weight loose clothing that protects from the sun and absorbs sweat. Last week our air conditioner gave up the fight on an 103 degree day. I wore my usual thin, baggy t-shirt and washed paper thin sweatpants. I hate having my body directly against sofa fabrics and chairs.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Look at the people in the middle east -- they've settled on light weight loose clothing that protects from the sun and absorbs sweat.

A friend of mine lived in the middle east for a few years and wore those long robes. He said the main advantage was that they prevent dehydration. The wearer may be dripping wet, but not so much water evaporates.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Just occasionally one winces at, how shall I say this?, slightly older people wearing jeans or teenage clothes. There was a time when children dressed to look like their parents, now parents dress to look like their children.

Most of my 50-60ish friends and I wear jeans. Particularly in the winter along with sweaters and boots. We aren't trying to look like our children but like ourselves, the way we've always dressed during our casual hours. We baby boomers invented the idea of jeans for movies/travel,shopping, etc. We even had a popular song called, "Forever in Bluejeans." Please don't make us wear lavender flowered dresses to work in the garden!

As for beach wear, I find it's hard to swim in long pants and shirts.

Some look plainly ridiculous - a little like one's dad dancing at the wedding of a teenage friend of his daughter's.

My 88 year old mother, a little deaf and therefore the stage whispers are audible everyone, recently saw a woman in the street wearing those clingy leggings that seem especially to be worn by the obese. 'SHE'S FAR TOO OLD TO WEAR THAT!' carried right down the street.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Thanks Moo, I wondered why the long loose clothing was cooler -- holding in moisture makes sense.

So, Sebby. Neither the obese, nor the old get to wear jeans or leggings so what exactly is it that you and your 88 year-old fashionista think we should wear?

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Something that is comfortable, your choice, not designed to make the wearer look ridiculous or feel hurt by being stared at in the street, or 'mutton dressed as lamb' as mummy might say. I believe the term is 'appropriate'.

But not having met you or knowing anything about you, I am not sure if you are obese or 88 or what.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
What I cannot stand to see is old men (or any men, for that matter) who insist on wearing black calf-length dress socks and loafers with their tan shorts. It just screams "Snow bird!"

My father-in-law is one of those, but he would not stoop to wearing such a laughable wardrobe. Last time we saw him at his winter quarters, he was wearing new blue jeans, nice white tennis shoes, a golf shirt and a moustache plus expensive eyeglasses.

While I would never wear good white trainers in the UK, there is no stigma about wearing them in the US. I never polish mine: I just wear them to stage gigs until they are worn out. I have worn them to school with nice trousers and a polo if it is payday Friday, but never with blue or black jeans.

Zeke often wears nice dresses when she is teaching, having a job interview or going to church. Jeans, t-shirt and clogs are for days off...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A chilly morning here and a cool day. I'm wearing RMW moleskins and riding boots, a viyella shirt and a very comfortable jumper/pullover. I did wear a warm alpaca vest and a sports jacket this morning.

Back to rather more formal wear tomorrow.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real viyella, Gee D? I haven't seen that for years and years. I think it's just a brand name now but here is a site for shirts, cheap ones at that.

I made many items of clothing out of it, lovely stuff. Even made the ex- Mr L a shirt which he probably still has, although it wouldn't fit him now. The shirts on that site are pure cotton, not the lovely mix.

RMW moleskins and riding boots? Grazier's style hat too?

[ 29. July 2012, 11:56: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

While I would never wear good white trainers in the UK, there is no stigma about wearing them in the US.

Honking great white sneakers are even more of a faux pas in Paris. No self-respecting person of chic ever wears them except for doing sports. The easiest way to spot American tourists (of which they are many this time of year) is by their footwear.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I really can't stand, and can't understand how anyone does (although everyone seems to), are Pro Keds.

When I was in school, Keds were the only kind of athletic footwear available. And I hated gym with a passion! I think I've associated my hatred for gym with Keds, and so hate Keds with a passion too.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Real viyella, Gee D? I haven't seen that for years and years. I think it's just a brand name now but here is a site for shirts, cheap ones at that.

I made many items of clothing out of it, lovely stuff. Even made the ex- Mr L a shirt which he probably still has, although it wouldn't fit him now. The shirts on that site are pure cotton, not the lovely mix.

RMW moleskins and riding boots? Grazier's style hat too?

Real Viyella, and Madame has some blouses and frocks as well. some left over from Richard Hunt days (not an ad, dear hosts, as the shop closed 20 years ago), some bought more recently in HB and in London. Look after it and it lasts forever.

No hat, as I was (and am) indoors.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with men and shorts? Come May, or maybe June, whatever the weather some men are hardly out of the things. Even in temperatures of 15 degrees or less. They will wear fleeces and anoraks on their top halves, but bare legs and often sandals below. I can't understand it: if it's not hot enough to go around in a T shirt it's not hot enough for shorts.

Sebby... I'm probably older than you but I wear jeans most days. Admittedly dark grey-blue or black rather than normal denim colour, but that's a matter of taste. I can't see the alternative for casual wear unless I were to emulate Tony Blair and wear chinos.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Cords?

--------------------
sebhyatt

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosts: I know this is heaven, I'm trying to be very careful.

sebby - I respectfully submit to you that what other people wear is none of your business. I live in a different place than you - and we are pretty fiercely independent. It is the height of rudeness here to judge others who are doing no actual harm. I have forcibly removed a woman from my bar for saying rude things about other people's appearance. and I'd do it again. The reality is, I was protecting her from the reactions of the locals.

Thing is, when you see someone out and about, you have no clue what their situation is. I wear things like jeans and even carhartts* precisely because I often need clothes that are sturdy for whatever tasks I have on hand. I'll also wear skirts and shorts with my work boots. and no tights! how inappropriate is that? you don't know what the story is. the reality is, whether or not you think someone else's clothes are appropriate or not is all about you minding business that is not your own. It must take a shit ton of energy to care so much about what random people on the street are doing with their sartorial choices.

And what really chaps my ass is that this kind of judgmental shallowness is what is, on a societal level, totally fucking up our kids. They hear someone commenting that someone is "too fat" or "too old" or "too ugly" to wear the clothes they chose. and inside themselves, they wonder what snickering and judgement is going on behind their backs. And they become afraid to express themselves with their own fashion choices, instead being "safe" by wearing either the same cookie-cutter look as everyone else, or choosing to wear "armor" by making themselves look dangerous and protecting the fragile reality inside.

some of the people in my community dress pretty bizarrely. I had a long talk with a co-worker awhile back (hot pink tights, ripped fishnets, combat boots, a skirt made out of a rolling stones t-shirt, a grandma-knitted sweater, pink and green hair, 6'3" and 260 lbs) and she said that the whole reason she even lives here is because she gets to be herself. in her former home (suburban in a lower 48 state) she was treated so poorly due to her size that she wore grey sweats full time. She came here and no matter what, people will accept her and even love her, so she feels free to dress the way she feels expresses her true self.

That's beautiful. I wouldn't want to have it any other way. and I'm appalled that there are people out there who obviously have it all so figured out that they can feel free to lord it over others.

please consider this before passing judgement in the future. it can cause a lot of hurt and does no one any good at all - it doesn't force conformity, it creates insecurity.

comet - mutton dressed as a lamb and looking hot doing it.

*look it up

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the great Taste debate. I remember proposing in a group of friends who were fond of themed dinner parties, that we have a Bad Taste one. Despite the fact that we were all middle-aged (and then some), established, well-travelled, socially confident - the suggestion didn't fly. What if we got it wrong? Other people might mock!

I am of the Comet camp: one of my most cherished comments is that of the Pastor's wife on a frock I was wearing. 'It must be wonderful to have the skill to make that. And the nerve to wear it.'

I can still see me being judgmental about other people's outfits, though based less on How inappropriate/ unseemly and more on How boring/ conformist/ unstylish.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] Comet. YAY.

I find myself passing judgment much too often, on people who don't look as if they care what they are wearing, or on all sorts of other things - and you know what? I also find I don't like myself much those days.

Mrs. S, boringly clad for work but with long dangly earrings

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

*sigh*

I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.

And shorts HAVE to be these because where else can you find 6" inseams on cargo shorts these days? All other companies are selling 'longs'. [Mad]

sebby: it is not commonly known but Alan Berg, a Denver talk radio host who was murdered for some unfathomable reason by thugs, used to say (paraphrase) 'it ought to be a capital offense for fat women to wear shorts'. < [Killing me] koff>

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure he didn't die cause he said that.

[Votive]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
hosts: I know this is heaven, I'm trying to be very careful.

sebby - I respectfully submit to you that what other people wear is none of your business. I live in a different place than you - and we are pretty fiercely independent. It is the height of rudeness here to judge others who are doing no actual harm. I have forcibly removed a woman from my bar for saying rude things about other people's appearance. and I'd do it again. The reality is, I was protecting her from the reactions of the locals.

Thing is, when you see someone out and about, you have no clue what their situation is. I wear things like jeans and even carhartts* precisely because I often need clothes that are sturdy for whatever tasks I have on hand. I'll also wear skirts and shorts with my work boots. and no tights! how inappropriate is that? you don't know what the story is. the reality is, whether or not you think someone else's clothes are appropriate or not is all about you minding business that is not your own. It must take a shit ton of energy to care so much about what random people on the street are doing with their sartorial choices.

And what really chaps my ass is that this kind of judgmental shallowness is what is, on a societal level, totally fucking up our kids. They hear someone commenting that someone is "too fat" or "too old" or "too ugly" to wear the clothes they chose. and inside themselves, they wonder what snickering and judgement is going on behind their backs. And they become afraid to express themselves with their own fashion choices, instead being "safe" by wearing either the same cookie-cutter look as everyone else, or choosing to wear "armor" by making themselves look dangerous and protecting the fragile reality inside.

some of the people in my community dress pretty bizarrely. I had a long talk with a co-worker awhile back (hot pink tights, ripped fishnets, combat boots, a skirt made out of a rolling stones t-shirt, a grandma-knitted sweater, pink and green hair, 6'3" and 260 lbs) and she said that the whole reason she even lives here is because she gets to be herself. in her former home (suburban in a lower 48 state) she was treated so poorly due to her size that she wore grey sweats full time. She came here and no matter what, people will accept her and even love her, so she feels free to dress the way she feels expresses her true self.

That's beautiful. I wouldn't want to have it any other way. and I'm appalled that there are people out there who obviously have it all so figured out that they can feel free to lord it over others.

please consider this before passing judgement in the future. it can cause a lot of hurt and does no one any good at all - it doesn't force conformity, it creates insecurity.

comet - mutton dressed as a lamb and looking hot doing it.

*look it up

You clearly misread most of my posts. It was my mother who is quite outspoken, although I am honoured to be mistaken for such a lady. I also accept that 'passing judgment' is the new sin against the Holy Spirit. I don't believe judgment was solemnly passed, so much as a free and independent opnion given. And you set, quite rightly store by freedom and independence.

Although 88, you would find it hard to forcefully remove my mother from your bar; her four-arm smashes are legendary. I think you'd come worse off.

Your independence is no doubt respected. I wonder of you would have a gentle word with a young teenage daughter (say) who wore something maybe just a little too skimpy in the worng part of town on her own? Or would you assert her independence and keep quiet?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

205:
quote:
'it ought to be a capital offense for fat women to wear shorts'.
That's why I live in seersucker trousers all summer. All the cool comfort and none of the chubby knees. [Cool]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016