homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What do you wear? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What do you wear?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:

Your independence is no doubt respected. I wonder of you would have a gentle word with a young teenage daughter (say) who wore something maybe just a little too skimpy in the worng part of town on her own? Or would you assert her independence and keep quiet?

This is what Mrs Sioni and I did. When we were concerned about our 14 y.o daughter's attire we had a word with a couple of women between her age and ours and asked them what they thought of her clothes. They weren't impressed, as we expected, so we asked them to tell her. Sorted.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Your independence is no doubt respected. I wonder of you would have a gentle word with a young teenage daughter (say) who wore something maybe just a little too skimpy in the worng part of town on her own? Or would you assert her independence and keep quiet?

This is what Mrs Sioni and I did. When we were concerned about our 14 y.o daughter's attire we had a word with a couple of women between her age and ours and asked them what they thought of her clothes. They weren't impressed, as we expected, so we asked them to tell her. Sorted.
That was a very sensible and sensitive way of dealing with it, if I may say so.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seeing the discussion creeping from matters of taste to the rather different issue of whether what you wear invites and to that extent legitimises, sexual harassment or violence. (The answer is, of course, No).

Clothing as a form of social control is a valid topic for discussion, but probably not on this thread, and possibly not this Board.

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 30. July 2012, 16:20: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cords?

I've got some but I don't really like them. Except in winter. Not smart enough to be dressy, and yet you feel you can't crawl around floors on them. (Not that I do that a lot, you understand, but having just spent the best part of two days erecting an IKEA wardrobe I'm glad I wasn't wearing cords.)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Today we have locked the door and agreed to not laugh at each other. It is well over 35 degrees in the office and I am in my Borat style "mankini" while my colleagues are wearing various forms of beachwear from Speedos to thongs and at least one other mankini wearer. Note to anyone interested in following suit - you can't sit down at a desk in a mankini without displaying your credentials. A piece of string around the hips keeps everything covered up.

I'm still sweating like a pig though...

Anyone seen Real Women Have Curves? There is a great scene where some clothing workers were sewing under a deadline in the midst of the LA summer. They had no air conditioning and could run no fans, because that would make the dust fly and smudge the high end dresses they were making. So the little workshop had literally become a sweatshop. The main character played by America Ferrara ("Ugly Betty") stripped down to her bra and undies and got the rest of the middle aged ladies to do it too. Except for her mom, who was horrified and seriously tut-tutted. [Disappointed]

It made everyone happier to be cooler and to flout convention, and they worked harder, too.

ETA: sebby, "cords"- Trousers made of corduroy.

[ 30. July 2012, 18:03: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Default setting: boot-cut jeans with heeled boots, loose white cotton shirt, black Barbour International jacket for the hardwear, messy hair & smouldering eyes ...

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hardware

I'm even too hot to spell

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seriously disturbed by the thought of two mankinis in the same room. Even on the passably buff (possibly not work safe unless you're in the same office as Bob Two Owls) they're a bit brain- bleachy. On the unbuff, I think you'd be begging for fat women in Spandex.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I'm seriously disturbed by the thought of two mankinis in the same room. Even on the passably buff (possibly not work safe unless you're in the same office as Bob Two Owls) they're a bit brain- bleachy. On the unbuff, I think you'd be begging for fat women in Spandex.

O! M! G! I have never seen such things!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete, are you serious?!? I mean, MY innocence remained undisturbed until Yorick graced me with a pic candidating for cabana boy, but I thought you were made of sterner stuff. Well, disturbed-er stuff.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016