homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Subjects I Wish I'd Studied (More) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Subjects I Wish I'd Studied (More)
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you ever feel as if you have gaps in your education -- subjects you avoided as a younger person, or didn't have access to, that you now wish you'd studied, or classes you skated through that, in retrospect, you wished you'd paid more attention to?

I often wish I'd taken Spanish as a younger person. It's still on my bucket list, but obviously it would have been easier and cheaper to have taken Spanish classes in high school than try to pick up the language in late middle age.

Logic: We only spent a short unit on logic in my mathematics classes, but as I recall it was interesting to me, and I was also interested in classical logic until a fellow student who was struggling with it scared me away from taking a class as an elective in college.

Music: My father was actively opposed to my "wasting time" taking music classes, so despite learning to love and appreciate music of all kinds that's really all I am -- an appreciator, not a creator of. It's one of my real regrets about my upbringing. At this point I'd just be happy to learn how to sight-read music enough to be able to look at musical notation in a more informed way.

If you had to do it all over again -- or if the opportunity presented itself today -- what subject(s) would you study?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Unreformed
Shipmate
# 17203

- Posted      Profile for Unreformed         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my yes.

Aside from subjects like math that I just don't have the aptitude for to begin with, I was a history major in college but I didn't take nearly enough courses on classical history. My knowledge of that period is really, really shaky.

--------------------
In the Latin south the enemies of Christianity often make their position clear by burning a church. In the Anglo-Saxon countries, we don't burn churches; we empty them. --Arnold Lunn, The Third Day

Posts: 246 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had my school years over again, I certainly wouldn't have taken the snore-fest that was Scottish Ordinary Grade History in the 1970s; it covered British social and political history from 1793 to 1914 and I doubt if there's anything drier outside of the Sahara. [Snore] Almost any of the alternatives on the timetable would have been better: biology, geography, physics ... I did take up biology and physics later, but only for a couple of years.

I only did Latin for a year (and I'm very glad I got the chance to do it at all) but another year or two probably wouldn't have hurt.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of my first year in High School, we had an opportunity to add German to the Latin and French the top four classes already took. I had done very well in those and my father suggested concentrating on them, rather than picking up a third. We had to make a choice between German or History/Geography. I have never regretted the extra years spent on History, but I did regret missing German.

When I went to to University I chose Elementary German as a first year subject which brought students to the level of the four years of High School German in one year. However, I still feel I would rather have had the time in school.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Music and more languages. A bit of how to in art and automotive wouldnt have hurt either.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More languages (I took German--wish I'd also taken Spanish) and economics, just so I could be sure I knew what they're talking about....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
piglet, I sat O Grade History in 1980. Was your textbook a red covered book by somebody McPhail?
I thought it was a brilliant subject - I saw my surroundings through new eyes. These streets are arranged like that for a reason; that wall was a by-product of clearing a field of stones; that stand of trees was because somebody decided that trees make good windbreaks. Railways happened because..new agricultural implements were developed because...people moved off the land and the towns grew because...
Every landscape thereafter sang its own song to me, of back-breaking work, and hope, and vision, multi-layered, multi-generational, birth and death and seedtime and harvest; maps became palimpsets of meaning, overlaid and overlaid again, and endlessly fascinating.

O Grade history - best subject in the curriculum!

I wish I'd approached maths differently. I had the idea, which I think my school generally subscribed to, that you were either good at English or good at maths. I wish I hadn't assumed that maths was difficult and not something I could ever really understand.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, I think Maths is the oddest subject as once you lose your footing (so to speak) you will sink forever, or at least that's how I saw it. I did A-level (and got an A when these things still meant something) but the moment I went to university (to do Chemistry) the Maths just made no sense to me at all. Clearly I'd missed a step somewhere and just never really recovered, though I loved Group Theory!

I wish I'd persevered with my violin past Grade 5 [Waterworks]

Mrs. S, who really wanted to learn the piano

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woodwork. I did it in my first two years at high school and loved it. Unfortunately, the teacher never got over having girls in his class (I and one other girl were the first ever in the school) and made it unbelievably torturous. Today he'd be held up as a bully.

I loved working with wood. Unfortunately I don't see an opportunity arising for me to try again.

I didn't study history at school (did sciences, maths and music) but I have rather made up for it by reading widely and coming to my own conclusions more recently. I gather I wouldn't have got much NZ history at school anyway... back in the 1970s.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:

I loved working with wood. Unfortunately I don't see an opportunity arising for me to try again.

Nightclasses? Community Education classes? Even hardwear stores like Bunnings and Mitre10 do free sessions on things like 'how to hang a shelf' or 'how to make a playhouse' etc. Or just get a 'how to' book and some wood and start playing!

I'm very much into lifelong learning. I've done a Masters part-time while working, learnt touch typing at a nightclass (ages ago), taken piano lessons, singing lessons, a music theory exam (hated it!), dabbled in bass guitar in a rock band, yoga (partly learning, partly exercise). I'm currently in a very good (new to me) choir so I'm learning a lot from that.

At some point in my life I will go back and do bits of another BA, focussing more on history and anything else that seems fun that I didn't cover the first time (there are SO MANY potential subjects and so little time...). Both my parents in law have gained degrees in their 50's and 60's.

I will also dabble in dance, the one artform that I've never done anything with. Belly dance classes appeal. [Smile]

I may turn into a counsellor at some point in my life (I did half the training then decided I was too bossy... I may mature into someone who's more tolerant of people going their own way).

For work, I'd really like to do a certificate with our professional body and it looks quite likely that I'll get to.

We'll see. The only barriers are time and money!

PS - sorry about the code.
[Edit: fixed]

[ 18. July 2012, 21:11: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pottery, it was my main subject at uni - and I had it on hold 'till I retire. Now my thumb is bad with arthritis, so I'll never throw a pot again.

I was good too.

Ho hum, pig's bum.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had studied public speaking. I was terrified to speak in front of a group, and my fear held me back.

In retrospect, I'm sure the teachers were accustomed to terrified students and knew how to help them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had studied Latin.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did all three sciences at O level but only took Physics at A level and went on to do maths at uni. I would really like to get back into Biology, Chemistry and some more Physics (especially Astronomy & particle stuff) but now the tuition fees are in the thousands even for Open University courses I suppose my student days are over.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At age 14, back in the Dark Ages, we had to choose between science 'side' and arts 'side' and I was a natural to go down the science route but I wasn't allowed to do History with it and had to do Geography instead. I learnt a bit that has been useful in geography but really regret not doing history - though I have dabbled a bit in my retirement but it isn't the same.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
At age 14, back in the Dark Ages, we had to choose between science 'side' and arts 'side' and I was a natural to go down the science route but I wasn't allowed to do History with it and had to do Geography instead. I learnt a bit that has been useful in geography but really regret not doing history - though I have dabbled a bit in my retirement but it isn't the same.

Same here - except they made me do History rather than Geography, because the Geography teacher said I had "no sense of proportion" and could never learn to draw maps.

I resented that then - not because I can draw maps (or anything else) but because I was sure I could pass a Geography O-level anyway. In fact I reckoned I could do it with 24 hours notice, a decent textboiok, and some sample questions from the exam, even without taking the course. In my acadcemic arrogance I still do. Maybe I'll try one day...

Anyway, all I've studied since that age has been science. Soetiem I think it woudl be a good idea to do something very unsciency, like Art History. If only because that seems to get the most nice-looking women on it. Not really possible these days though, as the ercent changes to University funding mean you can't really do a course because you are interested in it, but only in order to get a job - maybe I'd love to study Art History or whatever but I don't think I'd love it enough to spend nine thousand a year on it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An FYI to all those wishing they'd taken Latin -- there are several online Latin classes available, including one I stumbled upon the other day that was free. I didn't bookmark it so you'll have to Google it. I read through the first couple exercises, which brought back memories of my high school Latin (right down to Marcus and Claudia, who seem to star in all Latin classes). If you've never studied a foreign language or struggled with English grammar I think it would be daunting, to say the least, to use this particular website, but if you have a facility for languages in general it's worth a go.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
piglet, I sat O Grade History in 1980. Was your textbook a red covered book by somebody McPhail?

I don't think so - I'm vaguely remembering a blue-and-white sort of photo-montage cover, and I've no idea who it was by. I sat mine in 1978; it's possible that either the syllabus had changed in between or there were "alternatives". There was quite a lot of messing about with alternative syllabi around then IIRC - I know that the people who did O Grade music a year or two after I did it had a completely different syllabus and examination (and it didn't prepare them nearly so well for their Highers either).

Then again, maybe you just had a better teacher - it wouldn't have been hard ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I echo languages. They frame how you think. French and German are in my endless line up and I do learn some, and can read moderately in both. it is listening and talking that trouble.

Probably choir in school would have been fun. Or at least a good place to meet girls. [Biased]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took what I had to to get out of school; at University I blossomed, and by the last term of my professional degree, I was in full flower.

I have no regrets beyond a niggling wish that I had studied at least beginning philosophy. But I scratch it, and then I forget about it.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I don't think so - I'm vaguely remembering a blue-and-white sort of photo-montage cover, and I've no idea who it was by. I sat mine in 1978; it's possible that either the syllabus had changed in between or there were "alternatives". There was quite a lot of messing about with alternative syllabi around then IIRC - I know that the people who did O Grade music a year or two after I did it had a completely different syllabus and examination (and it didn't prepare them nearly so well for their Highers either).

Then again, maybe you just had a better teacher - it wouldn't have been hard ... [Devil]

McPhail was an ancient textbook, from well before the days of photo montage! Our syllabus covered things like agricultural changes, industrial changes, coal-mining, population movement. Then for Higher we did the Russian Revolution, and more Scottish history, and CSYS was European History from the Treaty of Versailles to 1945.

All my history teachers were wonderful
[Axe murder] .

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was definitely pushed down the arts/literature side of things, because girls weren't really encouraged in other things. I mean, we were either going to be teachers or mothers, so why would we need to learn anything else. So I wish that I'd had the opportunity to invest myself more in maths and sciences just to see where my career path could have gone. However, that being said, with the accessability of learning, there's absolutely no reason that I can't study whatever I want now. And if I study for fun rather than for school, I don't even have to bother with tests!
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed languages and did French and Latin for the Leaving Certificate. I would have liked to have done Ancient Greek as well, but it was not then offered at school. Had I gone to the school my mother preferred, I could have done it. Instead, I went to my father's choice of school and my mother's of church. At the same time, I don't know what I would have liked to drop to allow time for the Greek.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hated school for a number of reasons. To be honest I wish I'd gone to one with fewer nutters and bullies - and that was just the staff!

I wish I'd worked harder at French. Amazing as it may seem in the modern world, at the time (late 60s) it seemed irrelevant. I also wish I'd chosen Latin over German, but again, at the time, couldn't see much point in Latin, and now I can. I also wish I'd worked harder generally, but I was in rebel mode most of the time.

Somehow I managed to win the top school prize in Upper Sixth Arts. I don't know who was the more amazed, the Headmaster or myself!

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is one of many things inspiring me to Do Something About™ the thing I wish I was better at. While I play the cello more than averagely well, I am convinced I would play it much better if my teachers in my teens hadn't been tyrants and dictators. (In my head, cello lesson = sit down and get told off for an hour and possibly [Waterworks] )

So am I going to find a cello teacher. I've seen an ad for one quite nearby me who looks like a phenomenal teacher - he's taught in various eminent music programmes/conservatoires - and actually not that expensive. From the comments on his teaching style it sounds like he's also quite kind and patient and unlikely to reduce me to tears (this is a kind of novel idea to me). I have drafted an email to enquire about lessons, now I just have to take my courage in my two hands and press "send"...

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Nightclasses? Community Education classes? Even hardwear stores like Bunnings and Mitre10 do free sessions on things like 'how to hang a shelf' or 'how to make a playhouse' etc. Or just get a 'how to' book and some wood and start playing!

Oh, I know. Unfortunately my job is not conducive to regular night time classes - I'm on call 24/7. I have managed to clock up 2 and a half degrees while working fulltime over the last 10 years, but all by distance so I could do study in the corners of the day.

Every now and then I think I'd like to improve my maths. I passed my Year 13 exams in maths 30 mumble years ago but not by much - brilliant at anything involving logic, like algebra, terrible at anything involving calculations. Now I know lots more about what maths is used for, I wouldn't mind having a go and seeing if I could crack the calculations.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Music is probably my big regret. Now that I'm surrounded by very middle class English people it can feel like I'm the only person in the universe who can't read music or play at least one instrument.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
History. I took geography O level instead of it because the geography teacher was brilliant and the history teacher was a terrifying nutcase. But my knowledge of history is embarrassingly minimal.

And theology. I know you can read up on these things in later life, but it's knowing where to begin. [Ultra confused]

[ 11. July 2012, 15:31: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never regretted dropping History for GCSE (which was going to be WWII again) because it is so easy to find books to read about it. I am currently working my way through The Decline and Fall of the British Empire which is hard work due to the density of the text and the sheer number of atrocities covered, but has really given me a feel for "when Britain was great". As lighter reading I've just finished The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory, which is a novel about the Wars of the Roses - very readable and expanded my knowledge of the period from nil to at least something. The problem with history is there's just so much of it!

I'd like to learn graphic design. And take up piano lessons again.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cultural Anthropology just because I knew nothing about it until my later years. Now I find it fascinating. As a child I wish my mother had sent me to music lessons rather then dance. I think I would still be enjoying the benefits, as alas my ballet days are long gone.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only I had had the courage to take social anthropology as an undergrad, iirc it was available but I did not believe it could be for the likes of such as me. I can remember sitting in the class room for lectures either on theology or logic and metaphysics and thinking how cool it would be to be studying that.

Given that I am now doing a doctorate partly in that tradition, it might well have been useful but I am so into it now I half suspect I would never have become a statistician.

Jengie

[ 11. July 2012, 19:59: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it's not so much school subjects as it is general skills. I wish I had learned to:

fly airplanes when I had cheap access to them on US Air Force bases.

SCUBA dive (I may still do that one).

play piano or guitar (but not combined in a keytar)

hunt and fish. Both have been hard to get into later in life.

Throw a baseball and football properly.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maths: I'm working hard to catch up now
Art & Theology although a part of me is delighted that they were not a school subject for me & I have been able to develop my own ideosyncratic interests in the topic (but a more structured background would have been helpful)

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish I'd done GCSE history instead of geography. I did fine at geography, but I think I'd have much preferred history; nothing's really "stuck" from my geography lessons.

More recently, I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn some NT Greek during my ministerial training. It was just never an option; the only Greek classes on offer were in my final year and were for those who already had some knowledge of it. I've got "The Elements of New Testament Greek", but without having a class or something similar to prepare for, I find it harder to sit down and learn it properly. Kind of feel I'm missing out a bit without it at present...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Sighthound - I wish I had applied myself more to coursework and less to rebellion. What stuck is definitely a tribute to my best teachers - English, French, Latin (also only one year, but I am sure the first one is the most important!) - and what didn't is an indictment of the worst - sadly that means maths and art, weirdly. I am the only person I know who failed O level art.

Geography was random - we learned about Ecuador, Bolivia and Australia. I still remember lots of trivia about South America but I have never had a desire to go there.

Music. I quit piano for reasons of laziness, I suspect. Also I had an awful teacher who basically told me I had no talent, when the fact was I had no self-discipline. And I believed her. And so it came to pass. One day I will try again.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I'd gone for O level RE, followed by A level RE. I did one RE course at university, and the tutor was surprised that I hadn't done anything to exam level before.
If I had combined RE and the history that I did take, I would have got better A level results by not taking Maths and Chemistry (I was good at O level chemistry, but taking it further was not such a good idea). I would probably have taken German at A level too - and I would have struggled, but not so badly as I did with the Maths.

In an alternate universe, I would have been able to study some Hebrew, too (I was always annoyed that only the Jewish girls studied that, with the rabbi who came in to teach it), and learned an instrument, maybe a clarinet - something woodwind, anyway.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had done A level art. I did it at GCSE, but when it came to choosing A level subjects I didn't have any confidence in my artistic talent.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was forced to take a rather large number of O-levels - it's been downhill all the way since then - but they offered me two options, and I chose German over ancient Greek and Electronics over Music, both because I felt they'd be more 'useful'.

Of course, they were not, and though interesting enough, the other choice would have ended up a lot more handy in both cases. But I'm 41, and my brain is no longer remotely plastic.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One subject I never had the chance to study which interests me is Geology. Whenever I see layers of folded rocks or interesting landscapes etc I wonder how they came to be like that. Not an especailly useful subject, just interesting.

I dropped history before O levels so I feel my knowledge of a lot of history is a bit sketchy, but it is one of those subjects that you can continue to fill in bits of knowledge throughout life.

There are things I wished I had worked harder at. I had no interest in languages but had to study French and German. Little did I know how useful French would be to me later in life, now living where it is one of the main languages to use. I took flute lessons for years but never acheived the standard I probably should have.

Unfortunately I aquired a finely tuned procrastination and avoidance habit at a young age when faced with anything I found difficult or challenging. I was lucky enough to be one of those annoying people who was able to wing it reasonably well on last minute revision and did OK despite it. But it's a habit that even now I struggle to overcome. [Frown] But if I could overcome it then maybe I could yet fill in some of the gaps.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
One subject I never had the chance to study which interests me is Geology. Whenever I see layers of folded rocks or interesting landscapes etc I wonder how they came to be like that. Not an especailly useful subject, just interesting.

When I went to college, I knew I was going to study arts rather than sciences. For some reason, I decided to get all of my science requirements out of the way as quickly as possible. So I signed up for physics as my lab science, even though I was at a lovely campus in the middle of the woods, with a fabulous forestry and geology department, simply because the forestry and geology labs were full. So rather than going for hikes on lab days, I was stuck inside tracking the movement of billiard balls. I still kick myself for that decision.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
If I had my school years over again, I certainly wouldn't have taken the snore-fest that was Scottish Ordinary Grade History in the 1970s; it covered British social and political history from 1793 to 1914 and I doubt if there's anything drier outside of the Sahara. [Snore] Almost any of the alternatives on the timetable would have been better: biology, geography, physics ... I did take up biology and physics later, but only for a couple of years. ....

Even without knowing anything about that particular paper, I can assume you must simply have been forced to draw a dud card in the teacher department.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
One subject I never had the chance to study which interests me is Geology. Whenever I see layers of folded rocks or interesting landscapes etc I wonder how they came to be like that. Not an especially useful subject, just interesting.

I never studied geology in college, but I took a class a few summers ago on the geology of the New River Valley, where I live. It was fascinating, and now when I look around, I understand how things came to be as they are.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another who wasted two years in a classroom allegedly studying British Constitutional and Economic History 1765-1945, which was essentially the Corn Laws, Representation of the Peoples Acts leavened slightly by Home Rule for Ireland and Chartism.

I showed'em what I thought of it by i) completing no work in the final year and ii) getting an A grade in the exam, by answering the questions for the 1900-1965 option. That was no more than general knowledge.

I should have studied Geography, German, RS, anything.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piano. But lessons and access to a piano were impossible when I was growing up and so I made my children play instead. [Hot and Hormonal]

I wonder how many parents encourage (or force! ) their children to do a thng they wanted but were denied the opportunity to pursue?

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not subjects that were ever offered at school (to be honest I'd never really heard of either of them until well into adulthood) but I really wish I'd studied sociology and/or anthropology. The research I do/did draws on both disciplines, but I wish I could feel more confident that I knew anything about either.

I'd also love in hindsight to have studied art properly - particularly drawing and painting.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
and/or anthropology

I'm now (sort of) doing Indigenous or Post Colonial studies and anthropologists are hated even more than missionaries. And that's saying something.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutheran Chik: I generally avoid those "Dummy" books like the plague but a few years ago I ran across a "Learning Spanish for Dummies" that was actually very helpful. You might want to see if your local library has a copy. I'm either half Spanish or half Greek on my father's side. For years and years my dad's people said they originated from Spain but now we're finding out differently. My four older sisters all speak Spanish, two of them quite fluently but I always resisted learning it as my mother's people were Irish and German and I thought learning Irish was cooler, back in the day!

These days I want to learn German so that I can read the poetry of my favorite poet/writer Rainer Maria Rilke, in his original German. I also wish I had studied more music composition, music theory, and art.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Cultural Anthropology just because I knew nothing about it until my later years. Now I find it fascinating. As a child I wish my mother had sent me to music lessons rather then dance. I think I would still be enjoying the benefits, as alas my ballet days are long gone.

In my community college days, I took a intro. to Anthropology course taught by a brilliant woman who had doctorates in both Anthropology AND Archaeology. My God, was she brilliant! Anyway, I barely managed a passing grade in her course as I was having difficulty grasping some of the material (I have A.D.D. which I was unaware of at the time) but she and I had some fascinating talks outside of class, including a lively chat in a grocery store! Anyway she suggested I scour used book stores for Anthropology sections and gave me a list of authors to look for. I bought several books by some English guy... Desmond somebody? I'd have to look it up. I think he wrote a book called
"The Naked Ape"? Anyway, I still look for Anthro. books and am still interested in so many things...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great reminder. Thank you Patio. Graven Image goes to check out Amazon used booked section on anthropology.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
I wish I had studied Latin.

I did. And failed School Cert (the NZ equivalent of O-levels). I failed French, too. I scraped through maths and then dropped it, with all sciences. I wish I'd learned that there are subjects you actually have to work at, and not relied on the bullshit factor which kept me toppping the school, more or less, in humanities.

I continue to struggle with languages, though I have done koiné Greek and Māori since, and may attempt an aboriginal language soon. I have bullshat my way through life still without learning that lesson.

I have a calculator. In theory that should help me with maths, but basically I still just don't get what those numbers are all about. [Frown]

[Edit: I also don't get UBB, sometimes!]

[ 18. July 2012, 21:20: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016