homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Michael Gove (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Michael Gove
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
I would say some time in the 80s, politicians in general, but particularly Conservative ones, decided that 'something wasn't right' with Education and that 'something had to be done.'

Well before then. I was at school in the 1960s and 1970s. The secondary school system in my home town, Brighton, was radically reorganised about four times in ten years.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
It depends. I have seen quite a few crash-and-burn cases in my time following on from over-ambitious parental cramming. On the other hand, dealing with young people whose parents/ friends/ neighbours have actively discouraged them from aiming "too high" is close to heart-breaking.

I would cautiously suggest that there's a huge difference between being your child's first and most important teacher, and being your child's concentration camp warden. In my experience, many of the over-pushy parents fall into the second camp. 'If you don't produce results you'll be punished' isn't a method that produces good results in any situation, IMO.
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarsmanTJ:
I would cautiously suggest that there's a huge difference between being your child's first and most important teacher, and being your child's concentration camp warden. In my experience, many of the over-pushy parents fall into the second camp. 'If you don't produce results you'll be punished' isn't a method that produces good results in any situation, IMO.

There is a huge difference between those two extremes, yes - but I think there's a sliding scale. I've met quite a few over-ambitious (to my way of thinking) parents, but I don't think I know anybody who would make open threats in that way.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
I would say some time in the 80s, politicians in general, but particularly Conservative ones, decided that 'something wasn't right' with Education and that 'something had to be done.'

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Well before then. I was at school in the 1960s and 1970s. The secondary school system in my home town, Brighton, was radically reorganised about four times in ten years.

As the (in)famous quote goes;

quote:
We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. Presumably the plans for our employment were being changed. I was to learn later in life that, perhaps because we are so good at organising, we tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
There is a huge difference between those two extremes, yes - but I think there's a sliding scale. I've met quite a few over-ambitious (to my way of thinking) parents, but I don't think I know anybody who would make open threats in that way.

I have, and you're right, there is a sliding scale. There's a big difference between being your child's motivator and your child's driving force. I compare the difference between some of the British Olympic hopeful parents I've seen interviewed this week, where they've talked about the drive of their children to get there and the encouragement they gave, compared to the horrors of what child gymnasts go through in China where they are pushed into pain constantly to perform.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016