homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Does not follow. Are you trying?

But you don't seem to understand the context of the thread in the first place.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I know! Why don't we all (mothers and fathers) just not bother about our children at all. Let's just hand them all over to the state to take care of, then we can go out and do what the hell we like! [Big Grin]

The gap between total abandonment of children and what YOU seem to think Parents Must Do is wide indeed, and covers an extremely large part of the population in many countries including yours and mine.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Anyone who calls people 'vermin' is unlikely to engage in any worthwhile discussion with others imo.

He won't be here long.

I agree that such terminology is unwise, especially on here.
This is so weaselly. I.e. he has no problems in declaring other people to be vermin apart from the risk that "liberal-revolutionaries" might get you if you do. Playing the victim card whilst actually agreeing with Berwickshire's spittle-flecked rants. He manages to be a tool and gutless at the same time.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Berwickshire:
Hell’s bells. If the best line in intimidation is to pick up on this sort of thing people really are getting stuck. I know some folks are happier with Anglo-Saxon grunts but “Non placet” has been around long enough to be English – Oxford Movement and all that. I don’t know who is going to set himself up as the oracle as to what is or is not English but it is in English dictionaries. Despite its original form the phrase is English enough to be treated as a regular English noun and forms it plural by adding “s”. It is bound to be familiar to graduates of either of the universities. Or am I missing the real agenda?

Take it to the Styx, n00b. I will not discuss it here.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don’t know who is going to set himself up as the oracle as to what is or is not English

Round here that would be the Hosts. Which means when Pete tells you to knock off the foreign language shit, you knock it off.

If you have any further arguments about this Hostly ruling then make them in The Styx where they belong. And note that while Pete's warning was friendly, this one isn't.

Marvin
Hellhost

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The curse of crosspost strikes again. Such is life.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Your evidence for that being what? (Needs to be more than simply non-agreement with you, by the way).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
This is so weaselly. I.e. he has no problems in declaring other people to be vermin apart from the risk that "liberal-revolutionaries" might get you if you do. Playing the victim card whilst actually agreeing with Berwickshire's spittle-flecked rants. He manages to be a tool and gutless at the same time.

I don't agree with everything Berwickshire writes, and I doubt if he would agree with everything I write. It's known as discernment, but you wouldn't know anything about that would you Pre-cambrian.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You sure don't Betsy.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

Your evidence for that being what? (Needs to be more than simply non-agreement with you, by the way).
You seem to have no concept of the difference between the women (who happen to be mothers) going out to cause trouble, possibly leading to their arrest, and working mothers.

I've tried to explain, but you and your liberal clique are so sure you were right in the first place that I feel I have wasted my time. You ask me to explain myself, then when I do you're not interested.

[ 20. August 2012, 12:49: Message edited by: Mark Betts ]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You seem to have no concept of the difference between the women (who happen to be mothers) going out to cause trouble, possibly leading to their arrest, and working mothers.

I'm sorry Mark. I suspect that somewhere or another you make this distinction and I have missed it. My bad.

Please be kind enough to take the time to help me understand the distinction.

Thank you in advance,

Tortuf

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I've tried to explain, but you and your liberal clique are so sure you were right in the first place that I feel I have wasted my time. You ask me to explain myself, then when I do you're not interested.

I haven't particularly discussed that concept, but even were I to have I think you fall into the category of arguing that I don't understand simply because I disagree with you.

Disinterest in what you say cannot be inferred from lack of agreement either.

Also the only reason that posters here currently appear a clique to you is that you have got something so profoundly wrong it unites a large percentage of posters on this thread. You'll observe on this thread and elsewhere that the ship is not especially prone to consensus.

[ 20. August 2012, 12:56: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
You'll observe on this thread and elsewhere that the ship is not especially prone to consensus.

On the contrary, I have found many on the ship are, including down here - they tend to be the ones who dominate threads. If the consensus was the same in other media and different forums worldwide then I might think it was just me, but this is not the case.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
quote:

I'm sorry Mark. I suspect that somewhere or another you make this distinction and I have missed it. My bad.

Please be kind enough to take the time to help me understand the distinction.

Thank you in advance,

Tortuf

OK, no problem [Smile] Just read this thread again from start to finish, and if you still can't see the distinction do it again.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
You'll observe on this thread and elsewhere that the ship is not especially prone to consensus.

On the contrary, I have found many on the ship are, including down here - they tend to be the ones who dominate threads.
[Killing me]

Yeah, that's me. Utterly full of agreement with other posters. Never have heated arguments with any of the others.

I'd point you to the hell call I issued not so long ago, but the hosts around here like doing regular clean ups.

[ 20. August 2012, 13:18: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I don't agree with everything Berwickshire writes, and I doubt if he would agree with everything I write. It's known as discernment, but you wouldn't know anything about that would you Pre-cambrian.
I have discerned, Mark Betts, that you are a petty authoritarian conservative with all the paranoia of a Daily Mail letters page. I have also discerned that whenever you are challenged on something you have written you then go off on a tangent in order to avoid the issue. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by attributing it to your being too stupid to understand words, rather than to dishonesty.

Cue the next bit of puerile nose-thumbing.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I know! Why don't we all (mothers and fathers) just not bother about our children at all. Let's just hand them all over to the state to take care of, then we can go out and do what the hell we like! [Big Grin]

Mark, do you really not understand why what you said was offensive?

Do you understand that it was offensive?

You don't really think that people are just picking on you because you're conservative and they're liberal, do you?

These are not rhetorical questions, intended as some sort of slam. They're genuine questions.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Mark, I hope you meant to just blow me off. Because if you were genuine with your comment, you did not address, or explain the distinction.

It seems you place no value on what the members of Pussy Riot did. That is fine. You disagree with their point of view, or their methods, or both, I assume. What you are missing is that either they were making a political statement, or they were attempting to advance their careers, or both. In the even they were attempting to advance their careers you distinction is inapt.

In the event they were making a political statement you must mean that women should not be making political statements, even though you never said that specifically. That is the only logical conclusion. Logical here meaning in the formal sense.

Is that what you are saying? Women should not leave their children behind to make a political statement?

Read what you write before you demand that others read what you wrote.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Out of curiosity, Mark Betts, what's your opinion of the two single moms on my staff?

I hope you treat them well, and ensure they have adequate care for their children. They are not out trying to seek fame and publicity, and risking arrest which would seperate them from their offspring, are they?
Things may be different where you live, Mark Betts, but in my state, employment law specifically forbids me to enquire about (much less take responsibility for) the child-care arrangements of potential hires when I interview them.

And no, these two women are not seeking fame and publicity. What evidence can you offer that fame and publicity were the primary goals of Pussy Riot?

And no, my staffers do not risk arrest in the normal conduct of our work. They do routinely risk disability, life-threatening illness, and assault, including rape. Any of these possible outcomes could compromise care of their kids. Should I fire them or not?

[ 20. August 2012, 13:32: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You've stated that you think it a Bad Thing for women to be "going out to cause trouble" (while remaining very quiet about men doing the same) because they may be arrested and therefore be unable to care for their children. Leaving aside the glaring privilege that leads you to assume that it's the sole responsibility of women to take their children into account:

How do you define "may be arrested" in this context? Should arrest be forseeable, a likely outcome, or a theoretical possibility?

Where does legitimate protest meet "going out to cause trouble"? I'm sure you can't really be saying that no mother should ever participate in a demonstration or rally (for example), so what are you saying?

What is your position on women whose very jobs involve unsocial hours, or are genuinely dangerous? Surely, if ability to care for their children is the only measure, they're at least as deserving of your scorn?

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I have discerned, Mark Betts, that you are a petty authoritarian conservative with all the paranoia of a Daily Mail letters page. I have also discerned that whenever you are challenged on something you have written you then go off on a tangent in order to avoid the issue. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by attributing it to your being too stupid to understand words, rather than to dishonesty.

Cue the next bit of puerile nose-thumbing.

I have never read such utter garbage in my whole life. Is everyone who doesn't agree with you a petty authoritarian conservative with all the paranoia of a Daily Mail letters page? I suppose you consider "going off on a tangent" to be when someone doesn't agree with everything you say.

I have never used the term "vermin" in my posts and don't intend to, but that didn't stop you accusing me of it. Why do I have to answer to that?

Disgusted, of Tunbridge Wells.

[ 20. August 2012, 13:36: Message edited by: Mark Betts ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently you don't even know where you live...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is bound to be familiar to graduates of either of the universities. Or am I missing the real agenda?

And this wank believes there are only two universities in the world, both apparently situated in perfidious Albion.

[ 20. August 2012, 13:41: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Apparently you don't even know where you live...

Nor the paper. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells is so Daily Telegraph.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

You've stated that you think it a Bad Thing for women to be "going out to cause trouble" (while remaining very quiet about men doing the same) because they may be arrested and therefore be unable to care for their children. Leaving aside the glaring privilege that leads you to assume that it's the sole responsibility of women to take their children into account:

How do you define "may be arrested" in this context? Should arrest be forseeable, a likely outcome, or a theoretical possibility?

Where does legitimate protest meet "going out to cause trouble"? I'm sure you can't really be saying that no mother should ever participate in a demonstration or rally (for example), so what are you saying?

What is your position on women whose very jobs involve unsocial hours, or are genuinely dangerous? Surely, if ability to care for their children is the only measure, they're at least as deserving of your scorn?

You don't seem capable of discerning the difference either. Here's some advice for you.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To: Shipmates.

re: Betts, M

DNFTT.

Message ends.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I don't think he's a troll. I think he's just unable to engage with people who disagree with his dogmatic statements in any other way.

This leaves him with puerile blow-offs that he thinks maintain his dignity whenever challenged in a way he can't handle.

It is rather juvenile, but he may grow up.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
You've stated that you think it a Bad Thing for women to be "going out to cause trouble" (while remaining very quiet about men doing the same) because they may be arrested and therefore be unable to care for their children.

Sorry, I must have missed something - I wasn't aware that there were any fathers in Pussy Riot when they stormed the Cathedral.

quote:
Since when was it a "legitimate" protest? Obviously you're not well read enough to know the difference, but I can assure you that Pussy Riot did.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I'm curious: Is it possible that Mark Betts is on far more intimate terms with Pussy Riot than he's previously let on? He seems privy to so much of their thought process, values, and goals.

C'mon, mate: how do you know what you claim to know about these women?

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I'm curious: Is it possible that Mark Betts is on far more intimate terms with Pussy Riot than he's previously let on? He seems privy to so much of their thought process, values, and goals.

C'mon, mate: how do you know what you claim to know about these women?

All three women made lengthy closing statements before the verdict. Check out this post and click on the link, read them in full, and you will most probably know them better than I do.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Mark, thanks for the above link which took me to this post of yours.

Well-educated people are quite capable of naive immature pranks. I'm sure you are reflective enough to understand the consequences of such and that, dear Mr Betts is why you were called here!

Lord, are we permitted to employ a length of 4" by 2", just to gain the attention of the deliberately dull?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

So Mark, I wonder if you can post from the links you provided the statements you think show Pussy Riot's intentions as being solely for the purpose of generating self-serving commercial success?

The women's statements are quite lengthy, and I'll admit to having scanned some portions. But the following remarks strike me (YMMV) as statements of genuine plitical protest (Hope these are brief enough to steer clear of potential copyright issues):

Yekaterina (sorry, forgot to add her patronymic)

Compared to the judicial machine, we are nobodies, and we have lost. On the other hand, we have won. The whole world now sees that the criminal case against us has been fabricated. The system cannot conceal the repressive nature of this trial. Once again, the world sees Russia differently than the way Putin tries to present it at his daily international meetings.

Maria Alyokhina

The current government will have occasion to feel shame and embarrassment because of [this] for a long time to come. At each stage it has embodied a travesty of justice. As it turned out, our performance, at first a small and somewhat absurd act, snowballed into an enormous catastrophe.

Nadezhda Tolokonnikova

By and large, the three members of Pussy Riot are not the ones on trial here. If we were, this event would hardly be so significant. This is a trial of the entire political system of the Russian Federation, which, to its great misfortune, enjoys quoting its own cruelty toward the individual, its indifference toward human honor and dignity, repeating all of the worst moments of Russian history.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Since when was it a "legitimate" protest?

Since when was it not?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

BTW, I'm still awaiting your advice about the two single mothers who place themselves at so much risk while working at our company. To fire, or not to fire?

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
The women's statements are quite lengthy, and I'll admit to having scanned some portions. But the following remarks strike me (YMMV) as statements of genuine plitical protest (Hope these are brief enough to steer clear of potential copyright issues):

Yekaterina (sorry, forgot to add her patronymic)

Compared to the judicial machine, we are nobodies, and we have lost. On the other hand, we have won. The whole world now sees that the criminal case against us has been fabricated. The system cannot conceal the repressive nature of this trial. Once again, the world sees Russia differently than the way Putin tries to present it at his daily international meetings.

Maria Alyokhina

The current government will have occasion to feel shame and embarrassment because of [this] for a long time to come. At each stage it has embodied a travesty of justice. As it turned out, our performance, at first a small and somewhat absurd act, snowballed into an enormous catastrophe.

Nadezhda Tolokonnikova

By and large, the three members of Pussy Riot are not the ones on trial here. If we were, this event would hardly be so significant. This is a trial of the entire political system of the Russian Federation, which, to its great misfortune, enjoys quoting its own cruelty toward the individual, its indifference toward human honor and dignity, repeating all of the worst moments of Russian history.

How long have they had to prepare these statements? About 6 months or just under, I believe. Of course, lawyers and others would make them look like genuine political protest, why would they compose statements which made out that they only stormed the Cathedral for publicity and fame?

I'm glad you took the time to skim through them, but you also have to read between the lines and discern what's really going on. It seems the judge did this - result: 2 years.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
BTW, I'm still awaiting your advice about the two single mothers who place themselves at so much risk while working at our company. To fire, or not to fire?

What are you asking me for? They are your employees, so you do what you think is best for them.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

What are you asking me for? They are your employees, so you do what you think is best for them.
Then STFU about Russian pop singers.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Then STFU about Russian pop singers.
Why? Who's employees were they? Troll.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
quote:

I am asking you because you have argued on this thread that women who place themselves at risk obviously care little about their children.

Since mothers who work -- at policing, at soldiering, in heavy industries, as medical and security personnel, as performers (esp. when they achieve significant fame) -- routinely place themselves at significant risk, should employers (A) fire employed mothers and/or (B) refuse to hire mothers who apply for risky jobs, in order to reduce the chances that these mothers' children might end up neglected?

I'm simply trying to suss out the principle, assuming there is one, behind the argument you've made.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am asking you because you have argued on this thread that women who place themselves at risk obviously care little about their children.

Since mothers who work -- at policing, at soldiering, in heavy industries, as medical and security personnel, as performers (esp. when they achieve significant fame) -- routinely place themselves at significant risk, should employers (A) fire employed mothers and/or (B) refuse to hire mothers who apply for risky jobs, in order to reduce the chances that these mothers' children might end up neglected?

I'm simply trying to suss out the principle, assuming there is one, behind the argument you've made.

My argument was never intended to include working women, regardless of how risky their work is. That is a matter between them and their employers (within the law) and written in their employment contract.

These women, as far as we can tell, worked for no-one when they stormed the Cathedral. However, I am wondering who they really did represent - the Communist Party?

If they represented no-one in particular then that strengthens my belief that they did it for their own publicity and fame. That seems to me to be a selfish act, as regards their children.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In case you missed it the first time, Mark:

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:

You don't really think that people are just picking on you because you're conservative and they're liberal, do you?

These are not rhetorical questions, intended as some sort of slam. They're genuine questions.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
How long have they had to prepare these statements? About 6 months or just under, I believe.

How is this question relevant to the issue of whether the "punk prayer" was an act of genuine political protest or a self-serving effort to generate fame and sell CDs?

quote:
Of course, lawyers and others would make them look like genuine political protest, <snip>

Oh. So now they're not only self-serving attention-whores, they're also so stupid as to be incapable of developing their own statements?

quote:
<snip> . . .

why would they compose statements which made out that they only stormed the Cathedral for publicity and fame?

Yet not so stupid as to reveal their true intentions if they did indeed write their own statements . . . make up your mind.

And I confess to finding your image of 5 skinny young musicians "storming" a cathedral hilarious.

quote:
I'm glad you took the time to skim through them, but you also have to read between the lines and discern what's really going on.

Oh, those deceitful daughters of Eve: they never say what they really mean, do they? We all know that "No" really means "Yes" if we press our case a little harder, don't we?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FTR, I'm pretty conservative (and disapprove of the method of Pussy Riot's protest even if I share some of their concerns about the nexus between Putin and the ROC) and I found it sexist, misogynistic and offensive.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, Mark, when you first arrived on the Ship, I thought you were an arrogant, clueless waste of pixels with all the wit, intelligence and social skills of a particularly dim puppy, bounding all over the boards dispensing your wisdom (or what passes for it) like so much canine drool.

Then, after you were on the receiving end of a healthy amount of righteous arse-kicking, I thought you'd changed a bit. Maybe the penny had dropped. Maybe your previous behaviour had been a socially inept way of trying to fit in. Maybe you actually had something relevant and productive to say. Looks like I was wrong.

Sadly, your style of argument still appears to be bare assertions pulled out of your arse, backed up with cries of "Yuh-huh", "Nuh-uh" and occasionally (for variety) "I know you are, but what am I?" I don't know whether you think you're being convincing, clever or witty, but you're not. At all. You're being childish and rather pathetic.

I doubt I'm alone in mentally putting you on my "ignore" list at this point, because you're acting like a total leotard. If you want anyone to listen to what you have to say, go and find a clue, sit down and think honestly about why everyone always seems to be so down on you in particular, before you embarrass yourself any further.

Of course, it's quite possible, judging from your posts, that you're incapable of embarrassment, in which case we can just have ourselves a good old-fashioned flaming.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
In case you missed it the first time, Mark:

quote:
quote:

Well, Josephine, I've lost count of the times I've explained that I wasn't talking in the context of working women. The thread was never about working women's rights was it? How many times do I have to explain it?

It is in the context of illegal and offensive protests which could result in arrest and possibly imprisonment. How much clearer do you want me to be?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Ah. Is "self-employment" a different fish-kettle from "employment," in your view? Self-employment can, in itself, be fairly risky, in an economic sense. Should parents be barred from self-employment?

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I doubt I'm alone in mentally putting you on my "ignore" list at this point, because you're acting like a total leotard.

So do it then, and we'll both be happy.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Well, that's me buggered then!

[cp with Mark Betts]

[ 20. August 2012, 15:28: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Ah. Is "self-employment" a different fish-kettle from "employment," in your view? Self-employment can, in itself, be fairly risky, in an economic sense. Should parents be barred from self-employment?

Now you're just being stupid. You know very well that I'm not talking about "employment" in any legitimate sense.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

So criminal employment, then? Drugs mules, gang lackeys, that sort of thing?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016