homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Tho I still think Pyxe and leo would look great in mini skirts.

WTF?!

I would. He wouldn't.

[ 27. August 2012, 19:58: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish to register a formal protest. This was the first thread I read in the morning after a good night's sleep. You all nearly made me choke on my breakfast with your descriptions of Greek pastry, Greek tragedy and a kind of Greek chorus.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's quite an achievement in the field of stupidity for someone to somehow muddle himself up into thinking practicing Russian Orthodoxy is identical to practicing being a pillock on the internet, and that when he's being vilified for the latter, it is actually for the former.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
It's quite an achievement in the field of stupidity for someone to somehow muddle himself up into thinking practicing Russian Orthodoxy is identical to practicing being a pillock on the internet, and that when he's being vilified for the latter, it is actually for the former.

Although we've already seen a nearly identical phenomenon, right here on the Ship of Fools, if only you replace "Russian" with "Greek."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I like how he said he "flounced" his Hell call, as if that's a good thing? And "Lalalalalaa (I'm not listening)"? Isn't there a minimum age thing for the ship? Perhaps that's the problem here. He's acting like he's about 13. Maybe 12.

I think that the problem is there's no reliable emotional age verification system. Which is good, since I'd be tossed right out.

Now, as I'm home sick from work, I'm going to watch some more My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Actually, Spiff, watching a bit of MLP might be good for Bettsy—seeing a group of ponies resolve their differences, swallow their pride, admit their mistakes, and make it up to one another could give him the right idea. Of course, I'm willing to bet that he'd find Applejack too liberal, Rarity too outspoken (and deserving of "what she got,") and Twilight in need of a talking-to from her husband.

What does it mean when a bunch of cartoon ponies have a better clue about life than a Shipmate?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, this is classic Bettsy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
.... So let's hear the personal insults you've suffered on that thread which the Purgatory Hosts chose to overlook, in your opinion.

I think we're done with this particular incident now - I only referred to it because people insisted I give an example. The topic was supposed to be more of a general discussion, but on reflection maybe I did misunderstand the purpose of Styx threads.
Dear me, I call that pretty feeble.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whenever Mark gets tasked with "get specific" or "answer the point," he's all done with whatever's under discussion. What really gets my goat, though, is the thinly-veiled expectation that, because he's done, the thread can now be shut down.

The rest of us are just here to ride his coat-tails.

[ 28. August 2012, 01:44: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
The rest of us are just here to ride his coat-tails.

I'm not; I'm an individual.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
The 4th thread! It's happened in The Styx. [Killing me]

Does the Apocalypse come now, or do we have to wait for the 7th thread/seal?

[Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
^ Best guard the gates of Heaven now. As well as those of Kerygmania.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has he been in The Circus yet?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

I think "Taking Offense" might be just the place for him . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I think that the problem is there's no reliable emotional age verification system. Which is good, since I'd be tossed right out.

Now, as I'm home sick from work, I'm going to watch some more My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Actually, Spiff, watching a bit of MLP might be good for Bettsy—seeing a group of ponies resolve their differences, swallow their pride, admit their mistakes, and make it up to one another could give him the right idea. Of course, I'm willing to bet that he'd find Applejack too liberal, Rarity too outspoken (and deserving of "what she got,") and Twilight in need of a talking-to from her husband.

What does it mean when a bunch of cartoon ponies have a better clue about life than a Shipmate?

I dunno. But MLP:FiM is on Netflix now and it's time for Winter Wrap-Up!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] Passive-Aggressive Styx Thread is definitely in the house! I'm surprised it took him so long, but he seems to have "folded" right on schedule. He tends to do that when he has to back what he says up [Biased] .

Anyway, yeah, it's remarkably stupid, and a stellar example of how to avoid taking responsibility for your own actions. I grew up in a family where the political opinion tended to be fairly far right and I don't think that's "conservative" behavior ... just "jerk" behavior. My late grandfather, who was politically to the right of Barry Goldwater, would have called him some choice names. He didn't like whiners.

It's not just a "right wing" thing ... I know someone who will tell anyone who will listen that she was not ordained a deacon because she was a lesbian, when the actual truth is that she never got put forward for ordination (and lots of other gay folks did) is that she is really, really unpleasant. She tried several parishes, all with the same result. But she so wants to believe this alternate version. It's a romantic story of suffering and lets her off the hook in her own mind.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

I've been working on a limerick this afternoon.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It saddens me to observe how many Old Timers are gleefully cavorting on this thread at the expense of an innocent newbie just because he's a conservative. (That he's a clueless fuckwit is purely coincidental.) Clearly, our christian mission here is a failure. We should pack up our baklava in our balaclavas and disband.

What does it take to get a Mousethief Cooler™ on this thread?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
What does it take to get a Mousethief Cooler™ on this thread?

How 'bout you and the Hellhosts singing songs from Disney movies.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love that but...Disney™?! [Eek!]

Talk about copyright problems- the Mouse would roar!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

WTF?!

I would. He wouldn't.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm starting to feel dangerous pangs of sympathy and pity for Mark Betts.

(Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.) (Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.) (Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

WTF?!

I would. He wouldn't.

But you must admit he looked stunning in the My Little Pony outfit the other day...
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

(Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.) (Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.) (Must.Not.Stand.Up.For.The.Underdog.)

I refuse to use the term "underdog" for someone who is not in a weak position through the random vicissitudes of life, but through their own rank stupidity.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
It's not just a "right wing" thing ... I know someone who will tell anyone who will listen that she was not ordained a deacon because she was a lesbian, when the actual truth is that she never got put forward for ordination (and lots of other gay folks did) is that she is really, really unpleasant. She tried several parishes, all with the same result. But she so wants to believe this alternate version. It's a romantic story of suffering and lets her off the hook in her own mind.

Aargh. As a gay man this thinking drives me completely NUTS. Persecution of gays and lesbians exists. Therefore, anything bad/negative must be because I'm gay/lesbian. As if there's nothing else that might be relevant.

Christians do the same thing of course. Every single bit of negativity that comes their way is a spot of blessed persecution. Never mind that 1 Peter blows that idea out of the water.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some cake to go with that cake you're having, Evensong?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

I refuse to use the term "underdog" for someone who is not in a weak position through the random vicissitudes of life, but through their own rank stupidity.
Isn't Stupidity™ labelled as some kind of genetic disorder these days that entitles people to special allowances at work, government benefits and other such sundry things?

Poor Mark Betts. He's just the product of his genes.

It's not his responsibility he's so stupid.

He needs to be protected from those that might take advantage of his disability and treat him with harsh words.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

Stop fasting Evensong. The lack of food is clearly impairing your mental faculties.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful set of cross-posts there. My comment should come after Evensong's last. And orfeo and I need to sort out the dietary advice.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Isn't Stupidity™ labelled as some kind of genetic disorder these days that entitles people to special allowances at work, government benefits and other such sundry things?

Poor Mark Betts. He's just the product of his genes.

It's not his responsibility he's so stupid.

He needs to be protected from those that might take advantage of his disability and treat him with harsh words.

You mean a sheltered posting scheme? Part of the Big Society?

Now there's an idea. A bad one, but an idea...

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

All quips aside, I firmly believe all underdogs should be stood up for - regardless of their deserving that status or not.

I base this on two things:

1) Jesus was the undeserving underdog in the lead up to his crucifixion.

2) God still loves those that deserve underdog status. That notion must be met with solidarity.

(e.g) I abhor pedophiles. They are far from the truth and totally undeserving of God's love. They fuck lives up mightily.

Yet I was much struck by a conversation I had recently. The gist of it was that someone should be with that pedophile in jail. Someone must stand with them in trial.

Not to say they are right.

But to say God still loves them, and hopes that one day, and in some way, with some help from another loving human being - they may be redeemed.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

All quips aside, I firmly believe all underdogs should be stood up for - regardless of their deserving that status or not.
And I am firmly of the belief that the use of the term 'underdog', just because lots of people disagree with Mark Betts and think he's a fool, is a total and utter misuse of the word.

Otherwise the following people are underdogs:

The Phelps clan
Anders Breivik
Flat Earthers
Kevin Federline's music career

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I base this on two things:

1) Jesus was the undeserving underdog in the lead up to his crucifixion.

2) God still loves those that deserve underdog status. That notion must be met with solidarity.

(e.g) I abhor pedophiles. They are far from the truth and totally undeserving of God's love. They fuck lives up mightily.

Yet I was much struck by a conversation I had recently. The gist of it was that someone should be with that pedophile in jail. Someone must stand with them in trial.

Not to say they are right.

But to say God still loves them, and hopes that one day, and in some way, with some help from another loving human being - they may be redeemed.

But that by no means we have to put up with the behavior/sin when their position of underdog is self inflicted. Many shipmates have gone out of their way to try and assist Mark in getting along on the ship and trying to assist in his understanding of ship culture - only to be ignored or met with snide comments. He has made himself a martyr. As I said before, this saddens me because I've seen him contribute in a positive way on some threads, but there have been many of late where he's a total jerk. It's not his opinion, it's his behavior.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Insomniac brain tonight: missed the edit window in the last post and the first sentence should be: But we by no means have to put up with...

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong, I'm with orfeo, I think, on the underdog thing - Mark Betts has chosen to behave the way he has despite lots of input from folks to try to help him. There may come a point when tough love has to step in and we have to assure him of our love but not tolerate his behaviour.

I hope, I sincerely hope, he will stick with the Ship as I think he has much to offer but unless he wants to end up with a Hell call a week until the Admins reach the end of their collective tethers he is going to have to modify his combative posting style.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An underdog is a 'little guy' with few resources, and possibly not much talent or much hope for their cause, battling against the 'big guy' with power, resources, ability etc.

Eddie the Eagle was an under-dog, Tim Henman was an underdog. The Wyre Forest doctor over ten years ago, who became (was it?) an MP, on an independent ticket was an underdog, who actually proved he represented the underdogness of the ordinary person. Prisoners of conscience are underdogs. The Pakistani child being arrested for blasphemy is an underdog.

Mark Betts is not an underdog. He's someone with reasonable access and freedom to express valid personal views on a controversial issue, but who expresses himself, currently at least, badly and ungraciously.

Not always, though. I think he'll be a fine poster once he's found his feet here. But he's not an underdog. IMO, he's every bit as capable of stepping up to the plate as anyone else posting here. The crux is, does he want to choose to do that? I hope he stays around long enough for us to find out, in a positive way.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
And I am firmly of the belief that the use of the term 'underdog', just because lots of people disagree with Mark Betts and think he's a fool, is a total and utter misuse of the word.

The Phelps clan
Anders Breivik
Flat Earthers

In my opinion, anyone that is on the receiving end of "mob mentality" or is in a minority position (for any reason) is an underdog.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:

The Phelps clan
Anders Breivik
Flat Earthers

In my opinion, anyone that is on the receiving end of "mob mentality" or is in a minority position (for any reason) is an underdog.
In that event Mark doesn't qualify. The vast majority of old timers have tried to help Mark, not harm him. And he has been offered correction for behavior that is destructive in a social setting.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

In my opinion you need a dictionary. Especially for the second part of that.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
In that event Mark doesn't qualify. The vast majority of old timers have tried to help Mark, not harm him. And he has been offered correction for behavior that is destructive in a social setting.

That sounds nice.

And the rest of the slagging off on this thread counts as.....?

quote:
quote:

In my opinion you need a dictionary. Especially for the second part of that.
quote:
Definition of underdog from the Oxford Dictionary:
noun

a competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest
a person who has little status in society:

Or:

un·der·dog (ndr-dōg, -dg)
n.
1. One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics.
2. One that is at a disadvantage.

underdog [ˈʌndəˌdɒg]
n
1. the competitor least likely to win a fight or contest
2. a person in adversity or in a position of inferiority

Agrees with me I think.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Likely to lose what? The Ship isn't a sporting event or a war.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

A debate. Or even a conversation. Or popular opinion. DUH.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The Phelps clan
Anders Breivik
Flat Earthers

In my opinion all of the above have put themselves in whatever position they are in. All we can do is take their spade away and implore them to stop digging further. Mark Betts is now in the same position and it is his obstinacy, not a lack of charity in others, that prevents an improvement to his situation.

A true underdog is in a lowly position through no choice of their own and often despite their best efforts. I don't think Mark Betts is one of those.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
A debate. Or even a conversation. Or popular opinion. DUH.

Yeah, but WHY likely to lose?

If Roger Federer starts playing with his right hand tied behind his back and an eyepatch to totally ruin his depth perception, that does NOT make him an underdog. It makes him someone totally failing to use the resources actually available to him.

This is pretty much what several of us have been trying to convey to you. An underdog is someone who is at a disadvantage through circumstance. Not someone who is incompetent.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The person likely to win a debate is the person with the best arguments and evidence. Has nothing to do with being ganged up on or not.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Besides, Evensong, to be on the side of a persecuted minority is one thing, and always to support the losing side in a debate is another. By that logic, if you ever found yourself winning an argument, you'd promptly have to turn round and start arguing the other way.

Meanwhile, over in Purg, your underdog is arguing that six months in jail is a reasonable sanction for protesting briefly in a church. You want to join him in that? You take the wheel, Bettsy can pass you the butterfly.

[ 28. August 2012, 14:20: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

At this point I'm wishing Mark would seriously engage in debate. Aside from one post of his that did get answered back in detail, he's down to one liners that either accuse me of exaggerating without explaining how or where or simply his view is better without back up or one liners that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. I want to engage with him, but he doesn't seem to know how to deal with people who disagree with him. Perhaps it's a learning curve in being with people who have varying opinions as it's quite rare in this era of hanging with and seeing only churches/people/media that agree with your opinions and world view.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you've done astoundingly, Niteowl. You have more patience than me.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There really is no point saying anything to Evensong, is there? Both on this and the Fasting thread it seems absolutely impossible to make even the simplest communication to her without it being undermined, insulted, dismissed, perverted and misconstrued. Whether deliberately or not, only Evensong knows.

I never thought this would happen - 'cos basically I'm an optimist - but I think my 'giving the benefit of the doubt' has just hit rock bottom.

It's tempting to think Mark Betts and Evensong are one of a kind; but actually I think Evensong really does think the Ship is a kind of toy, and it doesn't matter if she treats the other posters as cardboard cut-outs in her private puppet-show. Whereas I don't think Mark is like that.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Besides, Evensong, to be on the side of a persecuted minority is one thing, and always to support the losing side in a debate is another. By that logic, if you ever found yourself winning an argument, you'd promptly have to turn round and start arguing the other way.

You could say that people incapable of arguing and supporting their position are perennial underdogs on the Ship of Fools. Small wonder Eversmug feels affinity with them.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
There really is no point saying anything to Evensong, is there? Both on this and the Fasting thread it seems absolutely impossible to make even the simplest communication to her without it being undermined, insulted, dismissed, perverted and misconstrued. Whether deliberately or not, only Evensong knows. ...

actually I think Evensong really does think the Ship is a kind of toy, and it doesn't matter if she treats the other posters as cardboard cut-outs in her private puppet-show.

I think that's it - most of the time Evensong is having fun, and trying to be amusing (very trying, ha,ha). Except sometimes she is in earnest and we're supposed to be able to tell which is which. Tricky, because in either mode she can't resist cheap point scoring even when it detracts or distracts from the main argument.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
There really is no point saying anything to Evensong, is there? Both on this and the Fasting thread it seems absolutely impossible to make even the simplest communication to her without it being undermined, insulted, dismissed, perverted and misconstrued. Whether deliberately or not, only Evensong knows. ...

actually I think Evensong really does think the Ship is a kind of toy, and it doesn't matter if she treats the other posters as cardboard cut-outs in her private puppet-show.

This.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016