homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: No, Mark Betts, I am not going to leave it
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the whole "underdog" schtick, I'm waiting for Evensong to break out in song--perhaps the Co-dependent's National Anthem, "As Long As He Needs Me".

She can play Nancy to MB's Bill Sykes if she wishes, but as I recall that didn't end particularly well.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I reckon Evensong is more like Bill Sikes evil bull terrier, Bull's Eye. Bull's Eye and Nancy were both underdogs, but one feels sympathy for Nancy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Hell: The Musical"

Someone get Sir Andrew on the phone quickly!

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The 'underdog shtick' is Evensong's made-up rationalisation for trolling hell threads. Her 'underdogs' are actually 'overdogs' who go around marking their territory by crapping over everyone else on multiple threads on the rest of the ship. When people get fed up with all the crap and speak up about it, Evensong's always there to support the crapper over the crapped upon having any right of reply. The underdog stuff is just her way of rationalising her own anti-social behaviour and her relish at seeing other people having their enjoyment spoilt by anti-social posters.

Of course it's a game to her, she doesn't actually care about other people having their discussions and questions spoilt by Betts and his antics, so longs as she gets to feed off them and antagonise others and preen herself in Hell.

It would nice if she could just be honest about the enjoyment and kicks she gets from antagonising other people.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
The 'underdog shtick' is Evensong's made-up rationalisation for trolling hell threads. Her 'underdogs' are actually 'overdogs' who go around marking their territory by crapping over everyone else on multiple threads on the rest of the ship. When people get fed up with all the crap and speak up about it, Evensong's always there to support the crapper over the crapped upon having any right of reply. The underdog stuff is just her way of rationalising her own anti-social behaviour and her relish at seeing other people having their enjoyment spoilt by anti-social posters.

Of course it's a game to her, she doesn't actually care about other people having their discussions and questions spoilt by Betts and his antics, so longs as she gets to feed off them and antagonise others and preen herself in Hell.

It would nice if she could just be honest about the enjoyment and kicks she gets from antagonising other people.

God save her future parishioners.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is some serious hostility on display here.
A difference of opinion, I can understand, but this seems almost white-hot. And from some pretty decent people, at that.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hold on to your hats, whatever your name currently is, Moondoggie or whatever, because I agree with you. Kinda.

I don't think the underdog thing is a schtick, I think it's self-fulfilled prophecy. because I have seen times when ES can be incredibly cool, funny, charming, and caring (Y'all, she is one of a handful of people who makes a point of welcoming newbies on the newbie thread. Go check yourself, her name pops up again and again.)

But it's almost like "underdog" is safer. Sorry Evensong, I realize it's hugely pompous for me to attempt analysis this way, but I do get really frustrated at how often you seem to sabotage the cool person you can be. it does look willful and it does look like you're getting off on irritating people, but I think ending with that assessment is too easy. It's not the whole story.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Louise:
quote:
That would mean admitting to deliberate trolling, a ban-able offence. I don't think that is going to happen even if you are right about her.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I can only speak for myself, LB. And I feel mostly extreme frustration and disappointment. I can't say I feel anything much stronger, like hatred, as I don't think I've had enough of a glimpse of what Evensong is genuinelly like to judge whether or not I'd like her! Though I'm not an admirer of her posting style!

I reckon Evensong's just not understood the Ship sufficiently to respect her fellow posters enough not to drive them doo-lally. I don't think it means she's necessarily a doofus, or doesn't have a future in ministry. It's tempting to judge any poster on their appearance on the boards! But I daresay it's not the full story.

But personally I've pretty much run out of patience with trying to make what I hope were reasonable points with Evensong, and getting dumb responses - and seeing it happen to loads of other much more capable posters; so it's probably just as well to shake the dust of my shoes, so to speak. Again, just my opinion.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong
Jesus was the undeserving underdog in the lead up to his crucifixion.

He wasn't really the underdog. He could have annihilated Pontius Pilate, the priests, and the Roman soldiers. He chose not to defend himself and he told his disciples not to defend him. He was in charge of the situation.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, it is possible to feel sympathy with nearly anything or anyone. It doesn't make them Underdogs, though it could make them Overcats, but I'm having trouble picturing Evensong as a Sweet Polly Purebred, picture here.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Laws. I haven't seen anything about Underdog in years.

Nice memory.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The person likely to win a debate is the person with the best arguments and evidence. Has nothing to do with being ganged up on or not.

You can't possibly be this naive mousethief.

If the above were true, Jesus' earthly ministry should have been a howling success.

Instead it was a spectacular failure.

But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong
Jesus was the undeserving underdog in the lead up to his crucifixion.

He wasn't really the underdog. He could have annihilated Pontius Pilate, the priests, and the Roman soldiers. He chose not to defend himself and he told his disciples not to defend him. He was in charge of the situation.

In the gospel of John perhaps. His passion narrative is quite serene.

"It is finished" is rather different from "My god, my god why have you forsaken me" in Mark and Matthew.

Jesus' cry of dereliction and agony in Gethsemane paint rather a different picture.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong, sweet pea. I know Jesus. Jesus is a friend of mine. And Bettsy ain't no Jesus.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Laws. I haven't seen anything about Underdog in years.

Nice memory.

OK, I am dead serious, and Alvissimo can back this up if she ever decides to grace us again-- I was totally in love with Underdog when I was, like, six or seven.

He was bested by Tintin.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The person likely to win a debate is the person with the best arguments and evidence. Has nothing to do with being ganged up on or not.

You can't possibly be this naive mousethief.

If the above were true, Jesus' earthly ministry should have been a howling success.

Instead it was a spectacular failure.

Um, Jesus' earthly ministry wasn't an internet debate. This is so obvious I'd think even you would see the difference.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gives up.

Rolls over.

Plays dead.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given this, and the absence of Betts - I shall put this thread out of its misery.

Doublethink
Hellhost

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016