homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Some rapes are 'legitimate', eh, Mr Akin? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Some rapes are 'legitimate', eh, Mr Akin?
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scotus:
But as I said above, all this is losing sight of the fact that he was initially being challenged on the question of whether an exception should be made for rape, with the implication that if he opposed that exception then he was holding an extreme position (rather than a consistent one).

It is consistent only if he has worked as hard to shut down fertility clinics as he has to shut down clinics that do abortion.

As long as anti-abortion protesters protest at clinics that do abortion, and call doctors who perform abortions murderers, but do not protest at fertility clinics, and call doctors who perform in vitro fertilization murderers, then they are not consistent.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
The implication of it is that a woman who is pregnant is unlikely to have genuinely been raped.

If he did truly mean the latter, then he is certainly wrong.

Perhaps I am letting my prejudices show, but it never occurred to me that his words could have any other meaning.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One can admit these cases are difficult, maintain that terminating such pregnancies is the same thing as ending a human life and therefore morally wrong, but also show compassion to those who make such decisions in hideous circumstances.

That works for me. I say it works, I disagree with it, but I wouldn't call someone to hell over it.

(Actually that's not true, I did once call someone to hell over it, but I did manage to admit I was wrong).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Considering who he is, you'd think George was familiar with the CPS guidance on this sort of assumption.

Hmmm.

I think that categorising some of the ideas on that list as "myths", after defining the word as it is defined on that page is essentially saying that those things are not true, and is just as misleading and dangerous as assuming that those statements are always true.

I can see where you're coming from, but after the definition you get this:
quote:
It is an unfortunate fact that myths about rape and sexual violence are brought into the jury room, and form an obstacle to obtaining convictions. It is therefore imperative that we recognise these myths and challenge them at every opportunity.
I read that as guidance to a prosecutor as to how to engage with the jury, along the lines of: "This is what the defence will use to ameliorate or dismiss the allegation, and this is the clear way in which to dismiss such attempts."
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where are those Rusty Farm Implements when I need em?
Scotus said: The most sensible thing Mr Akin said was that in cases of rape it's the offendor who should be punished not any child who may have been conceived.
'punished' LOL Lets have the rapist, AND the fetus stand in the corner with dunce caps on.

There's only ONE person eligible to decide what trash to sweep out of her reproductive tract, Potus, and it ISN'T YOU.

I'm glad you admitted your ignorance of wonen's insides. Now, admit that we are NOT just a stable full of breeding stock, owned by a Right Wing Male Farmer.

You disgust me. Along with Akin the Asshole.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If we are arguing whether its possible to get pregant by rape (or, vice-versa, whether pregnancy proves it wasn't really rape) then its irrelevant - but I don't think that is what Mr Akin said.

No? Then what else was he saying? On the face of it that's exactly what he's saaying. What else can "First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." even mean? Do you think he was saying anything at all? Or did he just stand up and say stuff almost calculated to offend at least 80% of the American people even though he had no actual meaning to convey?

Just the sort of uncontrolled offensive behaviour you want in a senator!

Well, if there is one good thing to come out of this, its that his campaign contributions are draining done the plughole of history. He might stick around till election day but you can bet his corporate sponsots won't. Not if they want women customers.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leaving aside the acknowledgement that Akin is a total wanker, please can you all stop flogging the dead horse.

Discussion of his statement is fine, discussion of the rights and wrongs of abortion is not.

Doublethink
Hellhost

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
...the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion...

...is pretty irrelevant, given that Akin isn't a Catholic.
That's true, but he is male just like the decision makes within that religious denomination, and would evidently agree that men are the only legitimate determiners of what women do with their bodies. [Projectile] [Mad]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And here was me, Doublethink, catching up on my reading and arriving at your host post just too late to post other than:

What Doublethink said.

To recapitulate - tread carefully, as we will be watching this thread carefully. If we hear even a distant neigh, this thread is oat toast.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't thank me. Thank no prophet.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016