homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Exercise Book (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Exercise Book
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what kind of brilliant exercise are you all doing this year?

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I bought a new set of climbing kit, so homefully I'll be doing quite a bit of climbing to make it worth it!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep saying I must go climbing again, and then failing to go! I'd make a resolution if that wasn't so easily broken...

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm building up my arm muscles - mainly by opening bottles and raising glasses [Biased]

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dug the weight bench out from under the laundry in preparation for the fitness race. that was enough for today, though...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the maps and footpath booklets out over the holiday week. I used to walk a lot locally, but as the dog got older, the walks got shorter and shorter (until they ended up as trolley pushes!). Now Islay is in the Big Running Around Field in the Sky, I can get my hiking boots out again.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to be doing a fair amount of running and the occasional gym/swimming pool visit in preparation for a half marathon in Spring which I have already entered (did it last year in a not very fast time)(see occasional entries in "Break a Sweat" thread). And since you mention "book": yes, I do keep a log. The "other half" is a dream at present.
Plus a lot of messing about in boats, including helping with sailing-for-disabled but also sailing in my own boats. Got as far as France in 2010 but I haven't yet sorted out a plan for this year. All this, too, gets logged.
Does singing count? I'm in 3 choirs.

Blackbeard, second bass (lowest of the low)

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
<snip> Got as far as France in 2010 but I haven't yet sorted out a plan for this year. <snip>

Getting back again? [Biased]

I'm going to keep at it in the gym, and try to get out for some proper runs as well. Perhaps this is the year I'll do my 10K. I can't imagine running a marathon, or even a half, don't people get really really bored?

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does going up and down stepladders hanging wallpaper count?

What I am very pleased about is how much fitter I am than the last time I did this. I was bewailing how much longer the whole thing has taken, and how unfit I must be, then I remembered this time I've had to remove old wallpaper and prepare very grotty walls and that took four days!

I'm going back to work for a rest tomorrow....

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Japes - going up and down stepladders definitely counts!

I finally got outside for a run today. 5k-ish in 34 mins, with some walking. I can already feel my quads, though, so am not looking forward to the next couple of days!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am steeling myself to join the gym. I don't really enjoy indoor exercise but I've not got a lot of running in since it's been cold and dark in the mornings.

There's a lo-cost gym near my house which is only 180€ for the year if you go off peak (7-10 in the morning, which is realistically the only time I can go anyway).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
.....I can't imagine running a marathon, or even a half, don't people get really really bored? ...

In general, it seems, no, there's plenty to think about (if only how to overtake the chap in front), and anyway it doesn't go on for that long.

It's more a problem if I walk for any distance.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
I'm building up my arm muscles - mainly by opening bottles and raising glasses [Biased]

Ditto.

I'm mainly walking while listening to podcasts - Selected Shorts is my favourite, and just started on This American Life.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Today I bought a new set of climbing kit, so homefully I'll be doing quite a bit of climbing to make it worth it!

I shouldn't read first thing in the morning without my glasses - I read this as 'drinking kit' - sorry Jen [Hot and Hormonal]

I am determined to get walking again, as well as riding my bike.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I plan to be bootcamping again - though due to change in work arrangements maybe only twice rather than three times a week. However, am feeling rather smug, as via a facebook referral thingy I just picked up an 80% discount of my next ten kettlebell classes (would have been Ł100 for ten, am paying Ł19).

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fell off the Wii Fit wagon this fall when I became ill, but I'd really like to start up again. And I also have some hand weights that I used to use almost every day, that I actually enjoyed using (I'm not a happy exerciser, usually), that I also stopped using. I have a book, "Smart Girls Use Dumbbells," that contains some really good workouts.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided to do the Edinburgh Moonwalk again. But I'm trying to decide whether to just work on bettering my time for the half or actually go for the full marathon power walk. I've managed to achieve a 5mph walking pace (though only sustained for a couple of minutes) and I can currently sustain 4.5mph walking pace for over an hour. I think I'd have to start working now on whether I should focus on endurance or speed, because I'm not sure I have enough training time to do both!

My other fitness goal this year is a core strength one (which actually helps the power walking and running). I can currently hold a plank for 4 minutes, but I'd like to increase that time, as well as increasing my number of consecutive press-ups (currently about 25).

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swimming and walking for me!

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got lots of physio - strengthening my back and lying on the floor to do it - quite hard work - good exercises, though. I've been told to do all the exercises twice every day.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've started weekly circus training. talk about a fun way to work out! but today - my whole body aches. I feel like I'm going to fall apart. oi.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm aiming to run a few 5ks and a 10k [races, that is] this year. I'm also considering whether to sign up with a personal trainer.

Just a year ago it would have been impossible for me to write those two sentences. Thanks, Ship!

[ 03. January 2012, 22:14: Message edited by: claudine ]

Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not wanting to clog up the Fitness Race Thread, but I thought we could come up with some more creative ways to get ourselves moving during the day. One thing I've done recently is to make laundry hanging a time-consuming task by taking each item up the stairs individually to be hung rather than taking everything up in the laundry basket in one trip. It means I'm up and down the stairs 25+ times and get an extra bit of exercise in my day doing a necessary task (can't do it if I'm in a real hurry). I know some folks on MFP will do some sort of activity during commercial breaks while watching TV (jumping jacks, running in place, press-ups or squats). What other ideas things could we do to make our normal activities more aerobic?
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a complete noob to any kind of exercise, but it finally feels like time, so the missus and I are going to combine it with exploring our new location via walking lots and lots. As the anal type I will be maintaining a regularly updated, and hopefully ever more colourful Google map of the West Midlands.

We're also going to try and do some hill-bagging, which isn't as crude as it sounds.

Posts: 198 | From: The Black Country | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
doctor says I need to do some 'enough to be out of puff' exercise every day. (Part of depression homework)

I don't do exercise generally, and the local pool and fitness bit will cost, but walking in January??

Any ideas, and things to help motivate when getting out of bed not attractive.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swimming is great in winter, but my Wii has also really helped this winter. One game I have was only about Ł10 but the variety is great - I can do pilates or dance or running or kickboxing or whatever.

Walking in winter is actually ok - warm coat(layers are good as I overheat if I walk too quickly!), decent walking boots or other warm shoes. It's dry more often than it's wet ISTM so maybe a walk on your lunch break? Going out in the dark doesn't appeal to me [Smile]

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Avila:

That's where I was this time last year. And I would say, like Jenn, outdoor walking in the cold really was good. Something about a cool breeze in your face can go a small way to clearing the cobwebs away. Even 10 minutes around the block can help. If it's really chilly, you can always motivate yourself to move faster by knowing you can have a cup of the hot beverage of your choice on your return.

It's not really a motivation, but I found it helpful to have my walking stuff right next to my bed so that it was ready and waiting for me any time I found myself back in bed.

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
.... but walking in January??

Well, there are some practical problems - the weather can be worse.

If you go across country you have to be back early before it gets dark, and you need decent boots and will have to avoid the muddier bits.

Apart from this it's the BEST time. Clear and fresh, and the light is wonderful.

Snow is great! though hard work.

Ice is a pain, gang warily or, if unsteady or fragile, not at all.

Enjoy.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...but walking in January??

Its a wonderful time of year for it if you are about in the day! Maybe not if its actually snowing, but that doesn't happen that often really. And its easier to dress up to keep warm on cold days than it is to dress to keep cool on hot days.

I hate excercise which is why I never do it because its so boring. But I love walking around looking at things (and taking photos of them) especially in cities.

And I love birdwatching and January is agreat month for that, especially on the coast or anywhere near open water because there are so many winter migrant wildfowl and waders around. And swans! Don't forget the swans!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
doctor says I need to do some 'enough to be out of puff' exercise every day. (Part of depression homework)

I don't do exercise generally, and the local pool and fitness bit will cost, but walking in January??

Any chance of a walkable pet ? Dog or ferret for example. The companionship is nice and you will take the animal for its sake if not yours if y0ou are bonded with it.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am walking to work and/or back, at least part of the way (it's 4 and a half miles each way, and I haven't yet walked the whole way). In the morning it's in the dark, and it is often raining, but I prefer it to walking in the summer, because I walk fast and get hot, so it's refreshing to walk in cold weather.

I'd like to also go on country walks at the weekends, but that is harder at this time of year because of all the mud. I need to get some wellies, really, but I imagine wellies get uncomfortable if you go for a long walk.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mini trampolines are fun and cheap - I got one for Ł30 on Amazon. I keep it in my kitchen, so it's just there whenever I go into the kitchen, and I can bounce on it while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or whatever I'm waiting for.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the ideas, I have wellies and dodgy old trainers so might not be kitted for the cross country, though a range of rural footpaths near here so plenty of options.

Pet walking not an option - dogsat for my sister for a month back last year and found I am just not cut out for responsibility for another living thing - I even kill the most resilient pot plants!

(Actually the dog sitting showed classic Stockholm Syndrome - was very attached to me during stay, couldn't work without her on my lap, but since 'rescued' won't come near me!!)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I know I always say this but have you considered a kettlebell weight - asda are doing an 8K for Ł11 at the mo. Doing standard swings is a cardiovascular workout.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

just finished a kind of cool workout. I decided to slow it down and just do a 5x5 (reps/sets) of selected stuff - pushups (from toes), sit-ups, squats, pull-ups, and dips. I was also going to do overhead presses, but I didn't want to change my weights each time in the middle, and now my arms are fried.

on the weighted stuff I maxed myself out, just to see if I could do it. everything else I just slowed it way down and watched my form really close.

you'd be amazed how much work 5 sit ups or 5 push-ups are if you go super slow and fight momentum.

for the squats, I upped my dumbbells to 30lbs each(!) and did an off step (it essentially isolates one leg at a time. your feet are not parallel, more like at 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock/10 o'clock) it felt WAY different. I really felt it in my ass and hamstrings, and less in my lower back. I felt like I got more out of the 5x5 than I'd been getting out of my usual 15x7.

for the dips I used my bench and just went really, really slow. by the 3rd set I was able to get very low and stay in good form and control. it's really amazing how quick your body picks up new stuff.

for the sit-ups I used my bench so I could do full ones without tweaking my back. again, super slow. I feel like I got more out of the 5x5 than my insane crunch routine of 25x10 before. I got WAY more. I'm going to be sore.

for pull-ups... *sigh* I don't have a pull-up bar, but I suspect I probably can't do a correct one yet. I used the stronger of my resistance bands, stuck in the top of a door; stepped far back and bent over so the movement is the same. I decided to do failurex5 for these, because the bands just don't give much resistance. I made it it 25x5, again just going super slow.

anyway - it was generally really impressive. It's good to remember than numbers aren't everything, and there are lots of ways of building intensity. I might stick to this style for awhile.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
quote:

Mini trampolines are fun and cheap - I got one for Ł30 on Amazon. I keep it in my kitchen, so it's just there whenever I go into the kitchen, and I can bounce on it while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or whatever I'm waiting for.
and just to push my favorite stuff - my basic weight bench was about the same, also from amazon. my adjustable dumbbells were probably about $45 (I can't figure out how to make the pound sign, so I'll leave the conversion up to you) and my resistance bands were less that $10 each.

I also strongly recommend
this book. I have the kindle version. its a quick read, very straight forward and non-fancy, and essentially you need nothing other than non-restrictive clothing. (and even then, you can do most of it) you don't even really need fancy shoes - I do most of my workouts barefoot. he does have some things that require props- but you figure out the props that work for you - dips off the coffee table, for instance. you can do the stuff anywhere - seriously, I've done the routines backstage, in the bathroom at work, in my kitchen, on the ferry, anywhere. and it's good stuff - you dont need spendy equipment to get in fine shape.

there's also a youtube channel called FitnessFAQ that's all body-weight based work. he uses some equipment, but he's also just as likely to shake down a neighborhood playground or parking lot. he's fun - however - he demonstrates a level I'm nowhere near yet! (he's also nice to look at, so there's that)

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet I salute you.

I did some walking today. Sadly a bit of that walking involved the purchase of Rocky Road ice cream. Which I then ate almost the whole carton of. I believe I may have cancelled out the good.

[Disappointed]

I walk about 15 miles a week on average but I HAVE to stay away from the sugar. Anyone got any extra willpower going spare?

Oh, and I'm also taking up yoga. Very beginners yoga.

[ 09. January 2012, 22:38: Message edited by: Masha ]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
What other ideas things could we do to make our normal activities more aerobic?

have I mentioned the bloody snow?!? [Biased]

our epic snowfall is going to have me looking like AH-nold by spring, but I think my strategy can help everyone out, even if snow isn't the issue. I decided not to hire a plow service this year, specifically to try and keep in shape. (well, and save cash) so of course, we get a big snow year... yes, God, I asked for it! maybe others could do a similar tack - fire the lawn-mower or the dog walker; cancel trash pickup so you have to do it yourself; haul groceries home in a backpack or wagon...?

another thing I've heard of (but dont do as of yet) is putting computers at counter height, so you have to stand for all your computer time. it's just standing, so not aerobic, but it's better for your body and in reality, you still end up being more active than sitting.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Thanks for the ideas - I afraid the mini trampoline waiting for things to boil in the kitchen amused rather than inspired - would confuse anyone looking in the window, and being tall I think I would meet the ceiling. [Eek!]

Anyway today I signed up at the fitness suite at the local pool just 5 min away. In January offer I don't have to pay extra for the induction and advice, and it is a month by month membership so not tied in for the year.

So I get the advice for my situation, the motivation of having paid for it so got to use it, but free to let it lapse when back to work if struggle to fit it in.

Tomorrow I get inducted - if I can find some appropriate clothing in the bottom of my wardrobe somewhere!!

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to use the stairs more. I work on the second floor.

[It's not my fault...the elevator is on the way to my room, but the stairs are a bit farther...sigh]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Biked 20km today [Yipee] I must put my water bottle in my back pack as the weather was really hot.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Think˛:
I know I always say this but have you considered a kettlebell weight

You'll be so proud of me. In another RealLife collides with NotRealLife, I booked (well on a waiting list) to go to my first Kettlebell class with a fellow MyFitnessPal-er next Monday night. So double whoo hoo! One for getting to give the kettlebells a try and two for getting to meet another weirdo from the internet. [Big Grin]
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been reading all the posts here. I completely forgot to look at All Saints to see about the January fitness race, because I had a back problem in December. GP said it was the piriformis muscle, but Physio on Monday this week said it was to do with the left hip being looser than the right. I have some exercises to do to help strengthen the muscles supporting the lower spine/left hip.

It didn't stop me doing all my regular exercise and walking, I just yelped out loud every now and again! fortunately it was not a continuous pain.

Must now read the other Fitness threads.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
.....I can't imagine running a marathon, or even a half, don't people get really really bored? ...

In general, it seems, no, there's plenty to think about (if only how to overtake the chap in front), and anyway it doesn't go on for that long.
The race is interesting enough - plenty going on. What can be a problem is the hours and hours of training. I have loads of audiobooks to keep me going though. I'm planning on doing my first marathon in April. The training schedule has long runs planned each weekend, building up to runs of 3, 3˝ hours or so before tapering off before the race. I'll be getting a lot of "reading" done.

I've done a local half-marathon most years in the last few years. That would have fitted nicely into my training schedule, but I've just worked out I'll be away that weekend.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know some folks on MFP will do some sort of activity during commercial breaks while watching TV (jumping jacks, running in place, press-ups or squats). What other ideas things could we do to make our normal activities more aerobic?

I have a step (like the kind you buy for a kid who can't reach the toilet when potty training - so around $10!)so when I am watching TV I can just step up/down. Having the TV on keeps me entertained, and it's pretty good aerobic exercise, especially as we don't have any stairs in our apartment.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

have to say - it's funny in some ways of looking at it. I had this great plan to kick my weight training into high gear, and it's been sidelined by all the snow. the snow removal HAS to happen, so the weights get put off.

that being said, I'm getting tons of exercising of the muscle-building variety. so I shouldn't complain. usually I'm struggling to get 5 hours a week of exercise - now I have more workout potential than time to do it.

I should be thankful. dammit. start being thankful!

(clearing over the weekend and getting cold. so - I should be freed from shoveling to do my more fun stuff! assuming my plumbing doesn't freeze and lead me to getting my workout by climbing around under the house...)

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Well I survived induction at the gym - a lovely instructor who was very sympathic to my 'being in an alien space' feelings

I found some vaguely suitable clothing but on my second visit the old trainers let me down at the end of the session. But that excuse didn't last long, because new ones ordered over the web that evening arrived by lunch the next day!!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

here's a little motivation for everyone. (language alert) I love these guys. despite the 'tude of the blog post, this makes me happy and want to do more. who says negative reinforcement doesn't work?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You'll be so proud of me. In another RealLife collides with NotRealLife, I booked (well on a waiting list) to go to my first Kettlebell class with a fellow MyFitnessPal-er next Monday night. So double whoo hoo! One for getting to give the kettlebells a try and two for getting to meet another weirdo from the internet. [Big Grin]
The kettlebells are so worth it, or at least have been for me. I practice Taijiquan and do some basic kettlebell work each morning before I go to work, and I've had so much more energy and felt so much better since I started doing them I can't imagine why I didn't start earlier.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

[Smile] I hope you enjoy it - I find it the only enjoyable routine exercise I do.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I bought these, cos I am not confident about designing workouts. But planned to start up everything after the restart of bootcamp - but unfortunately now have a filthy cold - which is very annoying.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016