homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Exercise Book (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Exercise Book
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can recommend the book Enter the Kettlebell, by Pavel Tsatsouline- if you can ignore the psuedo-Soviet claptrap, he's got great information in there.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Well I survived induction at the gym - a lovely instructor who was very sympathic to my 'being in an alien space' feelings

I found some vaguely suitable clothing but on my second visit the old trainers let me down at the end of the session. But that excuse didn't last long, because new ones ordered over the web that evening arrived by lunch the next day!!

Good for you, Avila! I remember that 'alien' feeling well, and not really knowing what to wear etc. It passes very quickly, thankfully.
Keep us posted on how you get on. [Smile]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well went back to gym with my new trainers today - and came home with blisters on my heels!

They fit and it was not until mid way through that I felt the rub.

Should I have brought with more wriggle room, wear socks that are thicker to protect, mine mostly worn so thin they are barely there. Or just break these ones in?

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avila, I always find it's good to have thick socks and good quality trainers (with thick, supportive soles), because I walk everywhere, and my feet easily get sore and get blisters otherwise. Also, if your trainers are a bit too big, and your socks too thin, your foot will move around in your trainer as you're walking, and this will cause chafing - this happened to me on my left foot, because it is smaller than my right foot, so I needed to get thicker socks. But if your trainers fit, it could be just that your socks are too thin, and maybe your trainers don't have a good supportive sole.

I wear Bridgedale socks, because they are very comfortable, and specially made so they are thicker at the parts of your foot that take the most weight when walking, such as your heel. They are quite expensive, but worth it if you are doing a lot of walking. I got them cheaper than normal, on Amazon and ebay, because I bought men's ones (I don't care what colour they are - I don't need pink ones!) and size 3-5.5 in mens is quite a lot cheaper (I assume because not many men have feet that size!). Also, if your feet are small enough, buying children's socks are cheaper than buying women's socks. If you go into a sports shop, you can ask the staff there about supportive trainers and which are best, and they explain it to you, because different trainers are better for different things. But you can try them on and see which feel most comfortable and supportive too, which you can't do when you buy them online.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the tips. I ordered online because I am rural and they were on sale - so cheaper than the petrol to get to a shop that had perhaps 2 in my size to look at.

They fit but 'cosy' which I thought was fine as my feet wouldn't move around in them. After my earlier post I browsed the web on exercise and blisters where various sites pointed out that feet swell with exercise and that they should be enough space for that in your footwear. Ooops that sounds like the problem. They just fit my feet at rest - but not the super sized ones during the workout, and hey presto - blisters!!

So the solution seems to be to keep these ones for day to day and get a slightly bigger pair for the gym. At £10 a pair in the sale it is not the most expensive lesson to learn. Note to self - research before buying, and don't assume it is simple, life rarely is.

Made me think of the need for expansion space in life... but will leave that to the blog.

Also ordered some of those fancy socks, again in the sale. Meanwhile shoes are not an option until blisters subside, just as well mostly stuck at home!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Compeed & more Compeed.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been out for a run. Managed my 5k (ish - according to Google Earth) circuit with only one break to walk! That's 2 or 3 fewer walks than ever before. Unfortunately I forgot my watch so didn't time myself. Does anyone know if the cross-trainer set to medium resistance would be good for developing uphill running muscles? It feels as if it should be.
I rewarded myself with a little go on the swings in the park afterwards. There was nobody else about and no signs saying under-40's only!
Avila - my trainers (fitted by a running shop and costing £££) are half a size larger than I usually take. I wear cheap towelling sports socks with them, but I'm sure the posh ones have their advantages. It should be possible to lace your feet into the trainers so any wriggle-room is at the toes, the middles have a bit of stretch to expand, and the heels are cupped snugly - do fiddle with the laces a bit if you haven't already tried and see if that helps.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avila

What fabric are the socks you are wearing with them, I have a sensitivity to wool and a tendency to blisters so do not wear wool socks, I have also learnt to avoid cheap synthetic socks as with these as well I end up with blisters.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Thanks for tips,

Jengie - my socks were random out of the draw with holes!! [Disappointed]

Hey a week ago this wasn't on my agenda, so not exactly equipped!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shop I go to sell special socks that wick moisture away from the feet (moisture can cause blisters)/ Unfortunately they are too big for my feet and give me blisters. I have found a combination of Neat Feet (an antiperspirant) and thin socks inside really supportive shoes speciallly designed for walking suits me best.

I rode 20kms this morning [Yipee] only to discover that it was Wednesday and the gathering I was going to is on a Thursday [Frown] At least it was good exercise.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<kick>

Well, I finally managed to get to the kettlebells class this week and quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure how sustainable it's going to be to do both Body Pump and Kettlercise on the same day though. I was a touch owie on my 5K walk/run and 5000m row yesterday and was REALLY feeling it during my strength training session today. But it was nice to get a few more ideas for exercises to incorporate in my strength training. Oh, and it's been fun meeting up with another MFPer! Yay! Someone who's as nutty about fitness as I am. I'm also loving getting to know people better at my gym. Keeps sessions from getting too boring. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What weight did you start with in your KB session ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 24kms biked today. I must organise myself with a water bottle as it was 27c out there today and even the wind was hot.

Huia the human grease-spot.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
What weight did you start with in your KB session ?

I switched between the 4, 6, and 8 kilo bells depending on the exercises. Lower body work and ab work I was using the 6 or 8 kilo, upper body I was using the 4 or 6 kilo. Much lighter than the stuff I do in Body Pump, but I'll need to get used to the exercises and routines before upping the weights!
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My original plans for walking out fell at the first hurdle, as I immediately got a horrible tummy bug and couldn't stagger anywhere!
Now I have a little project that should get me out and about (I need an excuse, I've decided, now that I'm not dog walking any more). So I'm going to take photos of every small business in the immediate area and post them on my blog once a week as Small Business Saturday. This is partly to help the local anti-supermarket development campaign by showing what diversity we have here in small businesses, and it should keep me occupied for months to come!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have played basketball once a week since the start of the year. After 3 weeks, I had dropped 4 lbs. We'll see what the scales say on Sunday.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a "sprint to the finish" on the fitness race - i.e. really pushed activities for the last few days, culminating in more than four hours of hard work yesterday on top of my paid work and somehow caring for my spawn.

I overdid it. I'm so sore. it's mostly just shovel muscles (and of course, it had to be done yesterday, but I didn't have to stack everything else on also) but it's also this not-healthy kind of pain that I think is my MS royally pissed at me. it was stupid; though it felt good at the time.

what's kind of funny/odd is that the energy boost from doing all the exercise makes me want to immediately repeat the offense, though I know I need to give myself a rest day. I feel like a junkie, talking myself away from the weight bench.

talk about a switch from my old lazyass self.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Responding to the blisters post from a couple of weeks ago. I used to get blisters regularly from playing squash (not from running or any other kind of sport). I mentioned this to an opponent once and he recommended wearing two pairs of socks. Not really believing him I tried it anyway, and have been doing so ever since. I literally have not had a blister on my feet from playing squash since then, about 20 years ago. It might not work for you, but it's worth trying.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After prolonged recovery from my seizure incident I'm finally starting exercising again on a regular basis -- for me it's Wii Fit, mostly.

I'm only aiming for about 30-40 minutes per day; mostly aerobics (the Free Run and Free Step, with occasional excursions to other activities) with some strength exercises thrown in and yoga stretches before and after.

Doing the pre-workout balance checks, I was pleased to see that I am actually doing better on some of them than I was pre-incident. On the other hand, I'm just out of shape from almost 6 months of limited activity, and I'm finding it harder to bend as much as I could before. I think my "Wii Age" the last time was 60!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Had an asthma attack following outside run at a crossfit class. So backed off form the bootcamp and stuck to indoor stuff whilst waiting to see the asthma nurse. She was v enthusiastic about the exercise program, and basically said take your ventolin beforehand and come see me again in three weeks. If you are still having problems will give you a stronger inhaler. And my peak flow has improved [Smile]

So back out into the freezing world next week ...

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wow where the heck is everyone?

I'm sneaking in in the midst of my lenten fast to brag. (yes, naughty me) I started taking tai kwon do last week and despite a very strenuous first class, I was NOT sore afterwards! hooray for base fitness levels! yay me!

the instructor also said I'm really fast so he piled me high with homework. yikes. me and goofy over-achieving self.

okay, back to my interweb fast...

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet: Yay TKD. Love it so much that my biggest worry last night was that my husband would get a church (which we very much need him to do) that would require us to move away from the dojang before I can get my black belt.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by comet I'm doing the BodyRock thing, with one with squat-thrusts, press-ups, burpees, running on the spot, leg-bend jump thingees, jumping and sit-ups.

It gets me out of breath and my legs all a jelly, so I presume it's doing some good.

My score for today, in case anyone is interested is 26/16/18/123/50/36/48.

I'm also going running; I'm determined to lose some weight as some of my trousers don't fit me anymore.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting over a cold but once it gets better I am going to go running. Like really.

The weather is definitely improving and the mornings are getting lighter (although the clocks go forward soon, booooooo) so it should get more enjoyable.

[ 14. March 2012, 16:07: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heart rates, interval training and V 02 max

There have been a couple of telly programmes recently which have suggested that a few instances of working as hard as possible for a minute or so, then after a slight rest doing the same again, and again, all of this repeated about 3 times per week, can lead to a marked improvement in fitness in general; and, in particular, an increase in the rate at which the body can absorb oxygen (used as an indicator of maximum work rate). All for about one-and-a-half hours per week in the gym.

Useful if you wish to fly a man powered aircraft (I'm looking forward to the next instalment of Bang Goes the Theory). I have no ambition to fly a man powered aircraft but I would like to run faster.

All this seems to correspond with the interval training which is said to improve athletic performance.

How hard is "hard enough"? Usually confirmed by heart rate measurements and the traditional aim is to get it to about 80% or 90% (careful) of max, max being roughly calculated as (220 - age in years). It occurred to me, while getting my HR up to a theoretically impossible figure (silly and not recommended), that this is all very well in the gym where the kit I use has a HR measurement, but not much use when running. So my question really is, has anyone used the watch-like devices giving a reading of HR while running, do they work and are they helpful?

Disclaimer. Telly programmes mentioned above showed the measurements being done with much medical cover.

Blackbeard, old enough to know better

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
related q: exercise tends to push my heart rate slightly above the recommended aerobic rate. Is this bad or v. bad? Other than run slower, what should I do?
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please be careful folks not to give medical advice - if you have a health concern please take it to qualified professional to be dealt with.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Blackbeard - I read the research on this a while back and decided to do an experiment on myself. I was not NEARLY as methodical as the researchers - when I'd normally go for a run/walk/ski/bike I instead used the HIIT system outlined in the original NYTimes article I read - 4 minutes at moderate/comfortable pace, with one minute balls-to-the-wall, then back to 4 minutes, etc, for 30 minutes (ish) a session, something like 3-4 times a week. the 3-4 times a week was give or take - busy week, maybe one. rockstar week, maybe six. and activities varied depending on what I felt like doing. this was also all in addition to my semi-regular weight training (in maintenance mode) and very irregular yoga practice.

I'm still essentially doing this, some 8,9 months later. I still do it because it's more fun. that one minute all-out feels like I'm FLYING, and the time to recover means I really can perform at my max during the intense interval.

as for my improvement - like I said, I wasn't exactly methodical, but I have seen a big difference in a couple of ways. first, in the distance I can cover in that half hour - since last late summer I have added about 1/2 of a mile in the same time frame. for me, that's huge. second, and more important to me, I feel like I have more endurance and basically enjoy intense physical activity more. I can go dance my little ass of at the bar for 4 or 5 hours and not be sore or even fatigued the next day. that's a biggie for me.

I have no idea about VO2 (and I'm still a smoker, so the numbers would be bad, anyway) or anything else, and rarely pay attention to heart rate. my BP is always on the low side so I don't keep much of an eye on it. my weight hasn't changed aside from my usual added hibernation weight flux over the winter. but for the fun factor, I love HIIT and will stick to it.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
related q: exercise tends to push my heart rate slightly above the recommended aerobic rate. Is this bad or v. bad? Other than run slower, what should I do?

keeping in mind what Wodders said, and IANAD - basically, yeah, run slower. do you have a heart rate monitor so you can watch how you're doing as you go?

otherwise - make sure your breaths are deep and steady without being too labored, and most of the time you could still talk clearly if not comfortably. it can take awhile to get a feel for that, but you will. maybe take turns running and walking. don't try to be a sprint star at once (this is my failing - all or nothing here!) I actually made a practice of trying to see how slow I could run for awhile. it was very enlightening, and made me realize I was pushing way too hard. try it out.

as for bad or very bad...? hellifIknow. that's a doc call and based a lot on your own physical individualities.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:

Can't say anything much about this, Jenn, since

a. I'm not a medic,
b. even if I were I couldn't say anything without a medical examination,
c. I don't know what you mean by "exercise" - how hard, for instance,
d. not sure what you mean by "recommended aerobic rate".

Also I bear in mind the wise words of Wodders.

As for being "bad or v. bad" - no idea, might be normal, see above.

Solution. Speak to your medic saying words to the effect of "I'm a bit concerned about my heart rate when I'm working hard, is this normal?" and sweet talk him/her into giving you a thorough medical examination.

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Comet, thanks for the post on HIIT, which I take to be high-intensity interval training. Interval training is much used by athletes and AFAICS is generally credited with substantial improvement. A variant of this is speed-play which is basically running at a moderate pace, and then, "To the next gate!" (or wherever) and flat out till you get there; then slow down for a few minutes.

My own experience FWIW is mainly in the gym where the machines give you an idea of work rate and heart rate, which is an incentive, and this seems to give a real improvement, much more so than running distances at a steady moderate pace (though I think I do need some of that as well). So my experience parallels yours (even, on occasion, to the dancing). The thought of working really hard, even for a short time, is daunting but it seems fine once you are there!

And flying. This (for me) tends to happen near the finish of a race especially if someone is trying to overtake. Fantastic feeling even though I know I couldn't keep it going beyond the finish. Don't know what my heart rate is during this (actually I do know but would rather not think about it!).

Interesting occupation for an elderly diabetic pensioner with an iffy medical history. I agree with my 80-year-old friend (the one who celebrated his birthday by going rock climbing) that the time to stop is when you can't any more, and ignore the calendar. Medics I have asked think this is rather splendid (but with a warning about dehydration).

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
...I agree with my 80-year-old friend (the one who celebrated his birthday by going rock climbing) that the time to stop is when you can't any more, and ignore the calendar. Medics I have asked think this is rather splendid (but with a warning about dehydration).

I think it was Woody Allen who said:

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used a heart rate monitor for running for a while last year. I exceeded the recommended rate now and again going up hills but didn't feel like I was overdoing it, so I'm not sure. I think it's only a rough guideline probably but you should check with a proper medical person or trainer if you want to be sure.

The other way I think the gadget usefully measures your increasing fitness is by showing how long it takes for your heart rate to drop after you stop exercising.

I am a big fan of interval training (thus the hills - I have a park near my house with five parallel paths going up hill, this is awesome for zig-zagging up and down) because it gets you a pretty big endorphin hit quite quickly (junkie? me? [Biased] )

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
[I think it was Woody Allen who said:

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

True; but why slow down when not actually dead?

And to continue on HR monitors:
so far we have some distinctly lukewarm approval for these. Unless someone comes up with "best thing since sliced bread, MUST have one, I use mine every day" I'll save my money. I have too many gizmos as it is.

(And what's so good about sliced bread?)

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*slips below thread, tucks in head and then BUMP!*

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Another slight ....Bump!... and a chance to ask

Jenn. Did you manage to get any useful information out of your tame medic?

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

hey gang. I gave up on any exercise program during the rehearsals building up to the play we opened last night. I was rehearsing 8 hours or so a day on top of my work (and parenting, and trying to eat, etc etc...) so I just decided to focus my energies there. bad idea. exercise is so good for my mental health and my energy levels! so since we opened and my schedule is about to get a lot easier, I'm kicking it back into gear, along with better eating habits. I bought a treadmill at a yard sale a few weeks ago and starting monday I'll be including treadmill time and building back up with my weight training. I really need this. neglecting my physical health did NOT help me with the show. lesson learned.

how's everyone else doing? We're having a very cool and rainy summer so far, which is part of the reason I decided to get the treadmill - that and the bumper crop of mosquitos. are the rest of you able to get some good outdoor time?

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet - the mossies sound bad! Are they all day or just morning/evening? Know exactly what you mean about NEEDING exercise to feel good!

I'm joining you back on the exercise - post-op I didn't feel like doing much which just compounded the feelings of feeling rubbish (!) so I'm back to being Main Dog Walker and going to see if I'm okay to do some gentle exercise class at my local gym...

Do you have a guy called Gok Wan in the States - a style guru known for helping Real Women dress well and believe in themselves? His motto is always "Go Girlfriend!" and I'm thinking of putting that everyone round my house to remind me what to do!

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I think all the running exercisers have disappeared to the thread in heaven...

Personally I have been having an attack of the mehs. This is a bad thing™. Like you, exercise is good for my mental health, trouble is that I get into a vicious cycle of don't feel like it-not going to do it-don't feel like it.

I need to get some serious running discipline back. I vill run ze half marathon, I vill. [brick wall]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
July is rapidly looming up on the horizon and starts on Sunday. Is anyone likely to be interested in a Fitness Race? I'm checking with the Circus Hosts and if they're OK with it, I'll start a thread there shortly.

Sorry this one has snuck up on me a bit quick having lost a week this month to a chest infection.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Fitness Race - please count me in - I need all the motivation I can get.

Although, as sailing and singing don't count, I might not be one of the front runners, so to speak.

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! Fitness race! This time I will WIN!
*contemplates current exercise free life*
...this time I will TAKE PART!
Are you okay to do the spreadsheets again curiosity killed? I will tentatively volunteer if you don't want to.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fine with the spreadsheets, and it's all set up to sign up - here

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

70 minutes and 10+ miles on the bike today. getting back into the swing.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

New plan which I think could work quite well for me - leave my clothes, soap, towel etc etc at the office the night before (there are shower facilities) and then run to work.

Tried it this morning and got the exercise *and* the best part of an extra hour in bed. [Yipee] (The distance is just over 6km direct, I added a couple of circuits of the park and stretched it out to about 10).

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

great plan, LVER! I've been wanting to do something similar, but only have shower facilities at the place I work odd hours - i.e. would having me running or biking home at 3 or 4 am. the other place would be perfect except no showers. I'll keeping thinking on it, though, and see what way I can make it work.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, grovel about setting up a London walk next Saturday - Saturday 7 July. I was waiting for my daughter to contact me about when she was coming down, and she arrives at lunchtime on Saturday - which rather blows out Saturday entirely. (She's organised two tickets for a recording of Old Harry's Game on Sunday night and is spending the weekend with me). 14th July is Derby meet for many people. Sorry.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016