homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paschal penguin 2012.... the flipper strikes back (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Paschal penguin 2012.... the flipper strikes back
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My goodness, it's that time of year again and a small black and white flippered fellow is waddling round impatiently, hoping for the chance to go adventuring to far-flung climes, spreading happiness to Shipmates around the world.

And one of those Shipmates could be you!

The Paschal Penguin is an Easter gift exchange. If you choose to sign up, your details will be sent to another Shipmate and you, in turn, will receive the details of someone else who also joined the game.

You then go shopping. This is the fun bit. You may spend up to a total of £5 on a surprise gift for your recipient. This is mostly on an Easter theme - very often chocolate related but not necessarily. You parcel it all up, post it to your recipient anonymously, and wait... (and possibly wait a bit longer).... for them to post on the thread to acknowledge its arrival and for a parcel to arrive at your address with a specially-chosen pressie just for you.

So, if you're keen to participate, sign up here and send me an email (or a PM) with your real name and address, whether you'd rather post within your own country or are willing to post overseas, and whether you have any preferences/allergies which you might want your sender to know about. In about a fortnight's time I will email you the details of the person you are to send a parcel to. Then it is up to you to get the parcel in the post to arrive around Easter time (and definitely by Pentecost at the very latest).

Mmmm... chocolate.....

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in. I've already bought some rather nice chocolate! Will pm.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
w00t! I'm in! Shall pm [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Count me in!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in... chocolate will be very acceptable, as I've given it up for Lent. Somewhat foolishly, given the impending Ofsted... [Eek!]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Count me in!

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in too please!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And me! [Yipee]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Motherboard and JB wanting to participate. PM to follow.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Signing up too.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh Oooh ooh, me too please :-)

Pm on its way

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes., I want in again.
Thanks for organising this, Pengy.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks so much for doing this, Smudgie!
You do such a good job!

[Overused]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have signed up now.
The things, they shall be sent on time this year.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in too. Will send PM later.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh goody, I do love having the opportunity to send random gifts to random people I may or may not know [Big Grin]

I'm in!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celtic Knotweed and I are in (we'd rather not get each other in the draw if you don't mind - she'd just gloat over the postage she'd saved [Devil] ).

PM incoming...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll play!

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in - PM sent. Thank you Penguin!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goody goody! Yes please! Will send email after this post. Thank you Smudgie!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me please!

Will send PM.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too please!

Will PM forthwith.

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, twenty five people so far are poised and ready, waiting for the details of the lucky person to whom they are to send their gift. The penguin is busy exercising his flippers and webbed feet ready for his long and arduous but oh so rewarding journey.

Who else would like to join us? I'll give it until the end of the week then issue details on Saturday.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too. Anywhere as long as it's on this planet.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Smudgie
St Gwladys
joan knox
Rowen
japes
North East Quine
Qoheleth
St Everild
Meg the Red
Motherboard
JB
Gussie
Auntie Doris
Mrs Shrew
The Weeder
Ariston Astuanax
Elaine C
kingsfold
Celtic Knotweed
Sandemaniac
nomadicgrl
Earwig
Dormouse
Cottontail
Adrienne
Enigma

Now the fun bit begins. Totally random matchings... here we go.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I have made all the matches and had begun busily PMing details to everyone, but my ^%*^&$ internet keeps cutting out and I have to get up off my backside and go and reboot the modem every few minutes. I have reached patience-depletedness and will continue the task later this evening when I can face doing ANYTHING involving the INTERNET other than THROWING THE BLOOMIN' MODEM THROUGH THE WINDOW!

Move along please, nothing to see here... apart from a penguin stomping its webbed feet and throwing a tantrum.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie [Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bless you Smudgie. You are a heroic Penguin.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got my recipient (Penguinee?). This is gonna be some fun [Big Grin] .

Hooray for Smudgie!!

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mission received and accepted!

Thank you Smudgie for fighting the interwebs on our behalf [Overused]

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Presumably you're still fighting the interweb, Smudgie? I'm still sendeeless [Frown]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm senderless too...

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Still no one to send to.....

--------------------
Still missing the gator

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

me neither

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

We could always send to each other, St. G!!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

s.t.i.l.l. f.i.g.h.t.i.n.g

and work has made it impossible for me to borrow a friend's computer today

However Mr Virgin Man is coming to visit tomorrow and hopefully will free me from this nightmare. Keep watching those inboxes.

(Those suffering from withdrawal symptoms could always send me chocolate while you're waiting)

Sorry for the delay.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had mine - thank you muchly Smudgie! Now thinking about what might be acceptable. Internet connections are weird - they carry on for a long while then need a rest. I have just resurrected mine from such a rest by taking a hammer (no sorry I mean having to press the restart button) on my BT Hub. It worked!! Sympathies and hope it is sorted soon. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Phew.

After a long-awaited visit from Mr-Internet-Man, I would appear to have managed to finish successfully PMing on behalf of the penguin, just in time to go to work!

I trust that everybody now has a PM sitting happily in their inbox informing them of the recipient for whom they are to organise a surprise gift. (If not, contact me a.s.a.p so I can put that right).

Please post here once you have entrusted your parcel to the penguin to deliver and again once your own parcel arrives.

Mr-Internet-Man promises that the problem with my internet and telly is now fixed for ever and ever. Do I believe him?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Smudgie! You are a wonder. [Overused]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
...Mr-Internet-Man promises that the problem with my internet and telly is now fixed for ever and ever. Do I believe him?

If you do then I have a nice bridge I can sell you...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

PM received. Thinking cap on....

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Message received [Smile]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Address received!

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Thinking and Planning....

--------------------
Still missing the gator

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
pondering and planning postal paschal possibilities...

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by joan knox:
pondering and planning postal paschal possibilities...

Perfectly put!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

Paschal parcel posted! [Big Grin]
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good grief! That's organised!! I'm still wearing my Thinking Cap.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016