homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inchcolm (Scotland) shipmeet (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inchcolm (Scotland) shipmeet
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just about to mark this in the official Clan Cresswell Diary when I noticed our church's Spring Fete is also that day. I shall have to consult with the hubby-type person after he returns from doing mad scientist stuff today to decide what we're going to do. If we do Inchcolm with you, the 1300 boat would work for us!
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Cattyish has already said I'll be getting a lift with her.
Just checking. Are we bringing our own lunches, or doing a bring and share moment?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SM,

Probably best to bring our own lunches. It's taken us long enough to agree dates and times for the meet [Razz]

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver's Apprentice:
SM,

Probably best to bring our own lunches. It's taken us long enough to agree dates and times for the meet [Razz]

You saying we are indecisive? [Devil]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, on one hand, you guys did decide to have a meet relatively quickly, but on the other hand...

Okay, I'll stop [Big Grin]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm open to swapping things if someone wants to barter for my lunch! I'll probably just have a few loaves and a couple of fish though.

Cattyish, breadmaker at the ready.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loaves and fishes eh? So there'll be enough for all of us [Biased]

I think bring our own and potentially barter sounds like the way to go.

Just had a play with the booking website and it says there are 22 places left for the 1300 sailing. Dunno whether that's just what they allocate to online bookings - I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say. There are plenty on the 1500 but that's probably a bit late. 1215 and 1400 (the other company) seem to have plenty of space.

Random info about South Queensferry

In terms of potential picnicking, we could sit on the quayside, or there's King George V park by the road bridge. No idea what it's like, but it's a green space on google maps! The boats have a bar on them and sell snacks but I imagine you can get away with eating sandwiches on them.

Did anyone want to have dinner afterwards? If so possible restaurants in South Queensferry include (from a quick google) the Boat House, the Railbridge Bistro, the Hawes Inn, and the Two Bridges. Or we could head elsewhere. Whether we'd join you depends if we can face the journey home with a screaming sczlet - apparently being in the car in the evening is absolute torture.

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I've just spoken to the woman at Forth Tours who says whether we can just turn up and get on probably depends on the weather (ie if it's sunny they're likely to be busy). She advises booking. However she didn't say that there were already a load of bookings for that sailing or anything and the online thing was offering me 35 this morning, so I suspect the 22 was just an anomaly of some sort and it picks numbers out of the air!

She did say that South Queensferry's a pretty place to kill time if you have to (and I guess if it's busy cos it's sunny then it'll be nice to be out and about), so if we had to wait for the next boat it wouldn't be the end of the world (and actually we could go with their competitors at 1400, who I'm pretty sure have a ticket office on the pier so we could buy tickets then go for a wander).

So, I propose we aim for the 1300 boat. It apparently arrives about 15 mins beforehand and you buy tickets at the boat. Picnickers could gather any time from 12, everyone meet at the boat (Hawes Pier) at 1245. Don't forget your Historic Scotland/English Heritage cards if you have them.

Does that sound like a sensible plan? If anyone wants my mobile number in case of problems meeting up and doesn't have it PM me.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds sensible to me.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Derf,

I was hoping someone would just tell me where & when I needed to turn up!
Next question... would i be better bringing the car over (which means I can be flexible on return time) or should I be public spirited and take a train/bus? Decisions decisions!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Can't make that decision for you....
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
So, I propose we aim for the 1300 boat. It apparently arrives about 15 mins beforehand and you buy tickets at the boat. Picnickers could gather any time from 12, everyone meet at the boat (Hawes Pier) at 1245.

That should certainly suit me and family.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Just bumping this to say see you all tomorrow. Cresswell clan, what did you decide? (Just so we know whether we're looking out for you).

Scz tells me the weather should be OK so hopefully it'll be a good trip.

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spoke with Alan last night, and I will be getting a lift from Clan Cresswell.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Hurrah!
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

The sun is shinning....lets hope it lasts, see you all soon.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was no settled plan for where to meet for the picnic here. So, I just consulted scz and agreed we'll meet at the ferry pier and a) either picnic there if it's suitable or b) move on to a more promising place when people are gathered. Hopefully there are enough people with enough phone numbers to round up any stragglers if we go elsewhere.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope you all had a wonderful time. If you noticed a flybe plane coming over the Forth into Edinburgh at about the time you were getting onto the boat, that was us, returning from Shetland!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Much fun was had and the weather was stunning. The Dafling showed off her amazing head of hair and general gorgeousness and the mini Cresswells ran all over the island, Master Cresswell assuring us that he had discovered all there was to discover.

It was even warm enough for ice cream after, with conversation ranging from opera to Narnia to dropping teaspoons into catacombs!

As we left we thought we should do it again some time, but possibly a bit further north - anyone fancy Stirling Castle?

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Thanks everyone for a great day.
There was vague talk about an August mini-meet in Aberdeen. Anyone else interested?

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Maybe.
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What an absolutely brilliant day! The Cresswell Clan thoroughly enjoyed themselves from the seals and sunshine to the puffins and blowing breezes. Not sure about the attacking seagulls! Lovely company plus a beautiful location really made for a nice mini-break for us!

Special thank yous to those of you who gave me donations for my Moonwalk Fundraising for Breast Cancer Research.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was perfect; one of the brightest, sunniest days of the year so far, good company, historic ruins, fresh air, puffins, seals, and an "interesting" commentary on the boat trip. (Puffins find their way back to their own burrows year after year by "magic", who knew?)

Plus a chauffeur who provided a first class door-to-door service. Much appreciated, cattyish!!

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

A great day out. An interesting abbey, with Shipmates around every corner and in every nook and cranny! And was that singing I heard at one point?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks for organising. The Dafling says thank you to everyone for looking after her dad and she's looking forward to meeting the sczlet again.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

My flatmate commented last night, that since she has known me she realised that "normal" people, meet up with people from the internet. That said she was using me as an example of normal!!

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We should have popped into your flat and proen the opposite!

Here is a picture of Inchcolm Abbey, with shipmates, and spot the appropriate weather vane.

Cattyish, slightly feeling the sun.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And was that singing I heard at one point?

[Paranoid] possibly...

I did test the acoustics of both the warming room and the chapter house. So if you were hearing plainsong, I'm probably the guilty party. If, on the other hand, you're referring to the Schubert Ave Maria I heard, it quite definitely wasn't me!

(haven't downloaded the photos yet, but will post in due course)

[ 13. May 2012, 20:45: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The Schubert Ave Maria was Full of Chips, trying out the acoustics in the Chapter House.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you enjoyed the trip, you might like Inchmahome Priory (Between Aberfoyle and Dunblane, reached by a boat across a lake), another time. [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

quote:
The Schubert Ave Maria was Full of Chips, trying out the acoustics in the Chapter House.
That was Full of Chips? Wow - I was impressed. You don't want to move to Glasgow so I can steal him for my church choir do you?

And that acoustic was rather splendid, wasn't it. I heard him & couldn't quite work out where it was coming from, so had to test out the spaces for myself.

[ 13. May 2012, 21:10: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Full of Chips
Shipmate
# 13669

- Posted      Profile for Full of Chips   Email Full of Chips   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posted by Kingsfold:
quote:
That was Full of Chips? Wow - I was impressed. You don't want to move to Glasgow so I can steal him for my church choir do you?

And that acoustic was rather splendid, wasn't it. I heard him & couldn't quite work out where it was coming from, so had to test out the spaces for myself.

I'm originally from Glasgow, that's why I'm Full of Chips. No plans to return though, too happy in Aberdeenshire.
The acoustics were great. I also highly recommend the Sacristy at Arbroath Abbey.

Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was truly a lovely day - perfect weather and excellent company. The singing was a highlight! Beautiful voice, Full of Chips. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Full of Chips
Shipmate
# 13669

- Posted      Profile for Full of Chips   Email Full of Chips   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NEQ:
quote:
Puffins find their way back to their own burrows year after year by "magic", who knew?
Drag, the Magic Puffin, knew.
Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

We should all sing sometime! How about we make a deal about who takes the tuning fork and who does which part?

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you got some great photos. My favourite part was when the boat travelled under the Forth Bridges - they looked so flimsy from underneath, and yet you feel so reassured when travelling over them.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The rail bridge looks anything but flimsy. "Conservative overengineering" as the Undiscovered Scotland link said is an understatement.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Though for some reason since our trip on Saturday, TheBoy has been a bit obsessed by watching a Thomas and Friends episode in which the railway bridge collapses!
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

When I was little I loved this book, but it did talk about rail bridge disasters, which scared me a little!

--------------------

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nooooooo! I missed this???
[Waterworks]
Blasted deadline completely overtook my thoughts and did not realise the date at all - I think in my head I had vaguely thought it was this week. Vague being the apparently operative word. Ratorama.
Sorry to have missed it but glad you all had a brill time.

*wanders off muttering at own stupidity*

B*gger, B*gger, B*gger...

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

The rail bridge appeared to be held together by scaffolding when I last went there. Not sure whether to be reassured or not....

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

Oh, Joan Knox, poor you. Still, you were dealing with the main thing, and we were only going to be a distraction for you.

If we do another such gathering then I reckon you'll be right there in the midst.

Cattyish, didn't realise far more things this week and yet survived.

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheers Cattyish... I look forward to getting some semblance of a life back when this wretched PhD is finally done. Indeed, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think it's a train lol!
Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Joan Knox glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry you missed us last week, would have been good to meet you.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The rail bridge appeared to be held together by scaffolding when I last went there. Not sure whether to be reassured or not....

That was probably the posh new coating they were putting on to prevent them having to constantly paint it. There was scaffolding over one or more parts for > 5 years, but they've finished now.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

We have photos

or at least some - I'm fighting flickr which keeps trying to load some of my pics in the wrong orientation. If/as/when I sort that, I'll put the rest in!

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Ask and ye shall receive...

Curiosity killed... suggested how to get the photos the right way round, so I've uploaded a few more.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

I love how many of those photos involve food! (To be fair, most food containing ones also contain members of my family. Read into that what you will!)

I'd forgotten just how glorious a day it was too.

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

I think I have got the hang of flikr. Photo's for all to see.

Cattyish.

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Great photos Cattyish, thanks for sharing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016